PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Popovich uncertain on starting Ginobili

Kori Ellis
05-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Spurs notebook: Popovich uncertain on starting Ginobili
Web Posted: 05/07/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050705.4C.BKNspurs.notebook.24c53be09.html

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has yet to decide if he will put All-Star guard Manu Ginobili back into the starting lineup for the team's Western Conference semifinals matchup against the Seattle SuperSonics.

Brent Barry, the Spurs guard who replaced Ginobili, an Argentine national hero after leading his homeland to the Olympic gold medal last summer, sounded Friday as if he thought it might be a good idea.

Barry said he has been the object of Argentine national anger for being the player who replaced Ginobili.

"It really doesn't matter to me," Barry said, when asked if he wanted to remain in the starting lineup. "I've got people in Argentina mad at me for something that Pop did.

"There have been cars parked outside my house late at night with the lights on and the engine running," he said. "I'm not sure if they're still mad. Heads are going to roll, I fear. I don't know. Manu won't translate for me. I'm not sure if Manu is in the car, but it's a long-nosed car, so maybe he is." :lol

It was strictly a joke, Barry said. He loves all Argentines, most especially Ginobili.

Talking heads: Spurs defensive star Bruce Bowen had little response to Seattle shooting star Ray Allen's latest rant about Bowen's rough-and-tumble defensive tactics.

"I don't have a reaction," Bowen said Friday.

Will he try to get into Allen's head in Game 1?

"I don't know," Bowen said. "We shall see. I don't know what they're thinking with some of the things that are being said. But so be it. That's the way they feel. We can't change the way they feel. We're definitely not going to go word for word, as far as, 'Hey, they said this about you, and what do you think of that?'

"Let's just play the game."

Kind words: Not all the Sonics are saying nasty things about the Spurs.

Former Spurs guard Antonio Daniels, one of Tim Duncan's closest friends when they played together from 1998-2002, had high praise for Duncan, though in a back-handed sort of way.

"He is the slowest, most effective big man with no athleticism," Daniels said. "We used to joke about it. He just knows how to use what he has. He has really long arms and can't jump that high, but is a terrific shot blocker because he knows what to do. He's basketball smart."

Getting defensive: Popovich was asked if Glenn Robinson's defensive work on Carmelo Anthony for a brief stretch of Game 5 made him more comfortable about using him in the series.

"I don't know," Popovich said. "He hasn't been playing defense that long. How long has he been here? He's trying."

Tek_XX
05-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Brent Barry is a funny guy

T Park
05-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Hey Brent, shoot the ball and cut the jokes.

SouthernFried
05-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Pops quote on Glenn Robinson's Defensive ability..."He hasn't been playing defense that long...how long's he been here?"...lol.

Barry's quote is almost classic.

They need to do the late night talk show circuit...these guys are funny.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Weird comments from AD.

Tek_XX
05-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Is it possible to be a professional basketball superstar and be "unathletic", well i guess there was larry bird

timvp
05-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Start Barry.

Or Glenn Robinson.

manustarting2gd
05-07-2005, 12:44 AM
AD sounds like he's ready to try and take out his boy TD. It aint happenin. Manu and Tony better buckle up, this is going to be a bumpy series. All incoming flights will experience turbulence. Bow's , shoulders, fingernails and shoves.. will be accompanying them on their path the rim.

Tek_XX
05-07-2005, 12:50 AM
AD is harmless, he's got a spur attitude

SouthernFried
05-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Like it matters...

Spurs in 5

T Park
05-07-2005, 01:22 AM
start the big dog, put him in the low post, and get Rashard Lewis in foul trouble.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-07-2005, 01:27 AM
"There have been cars parked outside my house late at night with the lights on and the engine running," he said. "I'm not sure if they're still mad. Heads are going to roll, I fear. I don't know. Manu won't translate for me. I'm not sure if Manu is in the car, but it's a long-nosed car, so maybe he is."

Damn Athenea, cut it! Or at least, next time, remember to turn off the car!

Vashner
05-07-2005, 01:27 AM
It seems to help charge up Manu's battery to let him come off the bench. Hungry for action. At least he has a good attitude towards the situation. He is focused on the rings. Big picture.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2005, 02:21 AM
I'm about ready to say start the last 5 off of our bench and just take their starting five behind the bleachers and beat the shit out of them.

I'm tired of Seattle's whining, and the series hasn't even started yet!

Ginofan
05-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Definitely keep starting Barry, it's working for Manu...Brent just needs to keep shooting and he'll have his game 2 performance be a norm. The only thing I'm worried about his the defense...with Manu no starting we won't get the advantage of his defensive skills right at the beginning of the game.

Solid D
05-07-2005, 08:43 AM
The Sonics are too dangerous of a team to discount. This is a team that you need to defend for 48 minutes. I'm concerned about their deadly shooting off screens and second-chance points.

Barry will have to defend Lewis if he starts. So will Manu if he starts. Pop will just need to decide if the offensive bench production is as important for this series as it was in the Denver series.

Rick Von Braun
05-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Manu starting, pros and cons.

Pros:

He is a much better defender than Barry.
Starting Manu will force Ray Allen to work his tail off on D with him (Seattle has no one else in the starting 5 to match up with Manu), hopefully easing Bowen's task on D as the game progresses.
Bringing Manu off the bench means Nate will match him up with Antonio Daniels, the most athletic guard and the best defender the Sonics have, and probably the only one that could stay in front of Manu.
Starting Manu maximizes the resting time between playing intervals, providing Pop maximum flexibility as to the total number of minutes and specific times to play him in a game (depending on matchups, game's flow, etc.)
Provides Barry more playing time without Parker, so he could initiate the offense and take a more active role (improving his confidence, and allowing him to be more than just a 3-pt shooter).
Cons:

The Spurs' lack of scoring punch from the bench.
Manu will play more time with Parker, which may effectively reduce his touches (at least the first 3 quarters).
Bringing Manu off the bench is playing right into Nate's game. The Spurs could still win because they have a better team, but matchup wise it would be playing right into their hands.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2005, 12:58 PM
(knock on wood)... I'm not worried about Barry in this series. He's at his best when someone pisses him off. The way the Sonics are talking shit already one of them is going to say something about addition by subtraction or being better without him on their team to him out on the court and he's gonna go off.

spurster
05-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has yet to decide if he will put All-Star guard Manu Ginobili back into the starting lineup for the team's Western Conference semifinals matchup against the Seattle SuperSonics.
CIA Pop. Keep the Sonics guessing till the last minute.

zeleni
05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
First the greatest problem of all: Should I still stay in a debate if my name is in English The Green One?

Now to more easy questions: Manu of the bench?
I say NO! A guy has no big potential going from the bench in this series. Reasonably this series will be won under the rim, where bodies bumb. Manu and Tony will be valuable only when fit and operating, so they shouldn't get too physical inside. So game is on TD, Rasho, Nazr, TMass to coordinate the attack. Shooting for 3's won't get us anywhere.

Trouble? Manu the Wild Man has to slow things down when games will be decided by rebounds. There Spurs will lose majority of points, so Manu needs to be more a responsible player. The kind he is when starting games. So where is the bench? Defending perimeter should waste most of the concentration with Allen, so why not use the bench only as a Defense monolyt? O comes without exeption mostly from the big 3.

Beno plays great in D team-ing defense. Barry could be though a problem. But then, who could not be a problem?