PDA

View Full Version : "It wouldn't have mattered"

GSH
04-23-2010, 02:21 PM
After last year's first round loss, a lot of people (including some Spurs fans) said that "it wouldn't have mattered" if the Spurs roster had included a healthy Manu Ginobili. The Mavericks, they said, were just too much better than the Spurs - Ginobili wouldn't have made any difference. In the first two games of the playoffs, Manu has 49 points, 9 rebounds, 10 assists, and has made 7-13 from the 3-point line. So how much difference would it have made if he had not been on the floor? One thing is certain: it wouldn't have been a "cake walk" for the Mavs.

This year, the Mavericks made "the best trade ever" according to Charles Barkley, and most analysts believe that this Mavs team is better than last year's team, because of it. And yet, the Spurs are tied at 1-1, and are bringing momentum and the home court advantage back to San Antonio. Without a healthy Manu, we could very well be looking at a first round sweep. With Manu on the floor? Almost all the analysts are now hedging their bets. Nobody... absolutely nobody could suggest that "it wouldn't matter" if Ginobili wasn't playing.

While we're on the subject - how important was it to have Tim Duncan on the floor in Game 2? Without him, the Spurs probably wouldn't have withstood the Mavericks 4th quarter comeback. But it's scary to think of how easily it could have gone the other way. Duncan picked up his third foul with 7:38 in the 3rd quarter. Pop left him in the game until Blair subbed in for him at the 6:09 mark. So what if Tim had picked up just one ticky-tack foul in that minute and a half? As it turned out, Blair struggled, and Pop put Duncan back in the game after just a minute of rest. With four fouls, he would have had to keep Duncan on the bench for a longer stretch. If not, he wouldn't have been able to defend as hard, or be as aggressive in the paint. And there's a good chance we would be down 2-0.

People who say that the refs can't/don't affect the outcome of games are just as deluded as the ones who say that a healthy Ginobili wouldn't have mattered last year. It doesn't take a bunch of calls, or some great conspiracy by the league. Some refs may be influenced by the hometown crowd. Some may let a player's reputation affect their calls, or maybe they just favor one style of play over another. But one or two blown calls can change the outcome of a game and a series. The difference between two playoff-caliber teams is usually not great enough to overcome a big disparity in whistles.

It's worth repeating that in Game 1, the Spurs had more field goal attempts AND shot a higher percentage from the field. When a team leads both of those stats, it's rare for them to lose the game. The last time it happened to the Spurs? Last year's playoffs, against the Mavs. (Note: the Spurs also shot a better percentage from the FT line, and the 3P line. It's almost impossible to lose a game when a team leads all four of those stats.) The Spurs have been dominant enough in the past that they could overcome a big discrepancy in whistles. Unless Splitter is a superstar-in-waiting, those days are behind us. Don't be too quick to look at what happened in Game 1 and say "it wouldn't have mattered".

If the whistle count stays close, and no one else gets hurt? Spurs in 6.

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2010, 02:24 PM
we have the centerpiece this season, thats the difference there

Spurminator
04-23-2010, 02:34 PM
I felt we had an opportunity to beat the Mavs last year but the rotations were terrible and our shooters failed miserably. One of the intangibles that Manu brings is that you never get a sense from him that any deficit is insurmountable, or any team unbeatable. I thought, with the possible exception of Parker, the team played last year as though they never had a chance against the Mavs, and it showed.

nkdlunch
04-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I did hear "it wouldn't have mattered" regarding Spurs winning a championship. I never heard "it wouldn't have mattered" vs. Mavs. With Manu obviously it would have mattered.

dbreiden83080
04-23-2010, 02:41 PM
IT's 1-1 all signs point to a heck of a series

lets see what happens..

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I felt we had an opportunity to beat the Mavs last year but the rotations were terrible and our shooters failed miserably. One of the intangibles that Manu brings is that you never get a sense from him that any deficit is insurmountable, or any team unbeatable. I thought, with the possible exception of Parker, the team played last year as though they never had a chance against the Mavs, and it showed.

not playin ghill3 and throwin away one of the games with all starters on the bench, it was all on pop

SpursRulez4eVeR
04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
no one knew what a healthy manu would looks like, timmy's health was a big problem, bonner was our starting center, mason was our starting shooting guard and they both failed pretty miserably and a non-seasoned ghill who didn't get playing time

GSH
04-23-2010, 03:14 PM
I did hear "it wouldn't have mattered" regarding Spurs winning a championship. I never heard "it wouldn't have mattered" vs. Mavs. With Manu obviously it would have mattered.

There were plenty of commentators and Mavs fans saying that the Spurs couldn't have beaten the Mavs, even with Ginobili. Especially right after the Spurs lost the series.

And yes, there were some Spurs fans who thought the sky was falling and said the same sort of things. I did a quick look and found a couple, but there were more - and some were a lot more obvious.

Hey...Mavs deserve the congrats..Manu or no Manu, they kicked our asses...

Mavericks did beat Spurs...they win it no doubt. Even with Manu,Spurs will still got hard time making shots. Tony is alone. Dallas is a better team than Spurs. Its nice to know that one of Dallas fan got class..Dirk is a scoring machine. thank you

emanueldavidginobili
04-23-2010, 03:15 PM
as manu said the mavs have came into SA and beatin us before, the mavs will come in tonight fighting.. but so will we. just cause we won at dallas doesnt mean this is going to be an easy series, also as fans we need to stay humble, this game is HUGE tonight and if we hustle limit turnovers and get all the loose balls we should be up 2-1 with HUGE momentum going into game 4.

GO SPURS!

GSH
04-23-2010, 03:26 PM
as manu said the mavs have came into SA and beatin us before, the mavs will come in tonight fighting.. but so will we. just cause we won at dallas doesnt mean this is going to be an easy series, also as fans we need to stay humble, this game is HUGE tonight and if we hustle limit turnovers and get all the loose balls we should be up 2-1 with HUGE momentum going into game 4.

GO SPURS!

It sure as hell won't be a "cake walk" like Jalen Rose predicted. Nobody has ever had a cake walk against a team with Manu on it.

manu the best
04-23-2010, 06:07 PM
.. MANU always matters ..

MANU=:lobt2:

ShoogarBear
04-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Uh, right now the series is at the same point it was after two games last year. Let's not get premature.

GSH
04-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Uh, right now the series is at the same point it was after two games last year. Let's not get premature.

Yeah, but not after threee. How much difference does it make to have Manu healthy? The calls were about even tonight. (At least until the intentional fouls at the end of the game.) Like I said - everyone healthy and the calls fairly even... Spurs in 6.

slick'81
04-23-2010, 11:37 PM
this series goes no worse than 7 now but if sa takes game 4 its over in 6