PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts Before Game 3

timvp
04-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Technically, the Spurs will be at home tonight for Game 3. But against these Mavs, there really isn't any homecourt advantage. Since the 2006 playoffs, the Mavs have been extremely comfortable in the AT&T Center. In fact, the Mavs seem to execute better against the Spurs in San Antonio than in Dallas.

This season, the Mavs have been great on the road. Their 27-14 road record in the regular season was the best in the entire NBA. If the Spurs don't bring the same type of intensity and attention to detail they had in Game 2, the Mavs could easily jump on the Spurs early.

Why are the Mavs so good on the road? A lot of it has to do with Jason Terry. At home, Terry averaged 15.8 points on 41.7% shooting from the field and 31.9% on three-pointers. On the road, Terry was much better: 17.5 points on 46% from the field and 40.8% on threes. It'd be wise if the Spurs paid extra attention to Terry tonight.

Here are some other concerns for Game 3:

Don't forcefeed RJ. Richard Jeferson had a really good Game 2 but with as uneven as his play has been this season, there should be no expectations of a repeat performance in Game 3. I especially don't like it when the coaching staff calls post-ups for RJ. He's never been good on the post, he wasn't good posting up during the regular season and won't suddenly be good at it in the playoffs. Let him score on the break and in the halfcourt when he can penetrate against a rotating defense.

Manu Ginobili needs to drive to score. When Ginobili runs pick-and-rolls, a lot of times scoring for himself isn't a priority. However, against the Mavs, that is a mistake. The Mavs are very long and active on defense and they can make a passing lane disappear in an instant. What the Mavs don't do as well is protect the paint on pick-and-rolls. For that reason, Ginobili needs to try to score each and every time he quarterbacks a pick-and-roll. If the Mavs overplay pick-and-rolls to keep Ginobili out of the lane, that's when the Argentine star can create open looks for others.

Matt Bonner has to hit shots. The Mavs have been leaving Bonner open most of the time. Bonner has been a better shooter at home (45% on threes at home, 32.4% on the road) so he needs to take advantage of the open looks. If the Spurs are going to blow open the game, they'll need Bonner to spread the defense by draining shots from deep.

Keep the pressure on Dallas' starting guards. With Jason Kidd, the Spurs need to pressure his dribble as much as possible. If you give him too much freedom, he's smart and talented enough to beat the Spurs by himself. As for Caron Butler, the Spurs need make him feel playoff pressure. In Game 2, he was hesitant and past up a number of open looks. Keep Butler second-guessing and the Spurs have a great chance in this series.

Whisky Dog
04-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Keep rotating to shooters and pick them up in transition.

Win the rebounding margin by hitting the defensive glass with guards included, and don't commit stupid fouls giving up free throws.

DPG21920
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Random Thought: F*cking win two in a row and let a little doubt creep into the Mavs' minds.

polandprzem
04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
LJ- IMO most important think of which you mentioned is Ginos drives and Bonner 3pointers.

Dallas are doing a good job of pushing Gino outside while on pick and rolls. Hopefully manus creativity will let him split the defenders and score. Not an easy task cause Dallas have big frontine.

Also let's not forget that Tim needs some help. Bonne hitting shots can buy Duncan some rest on the bench and on the court [does not need to battle all by himself all the time inside].
Blair! We need him bcause I do not know if Dyess can keep that high intensity as in previous meeting all game long

Fpoonsie
04-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion to expect NOTHING from Blair this postseason?

Seeing him gather himself to try to back a player down w/ his dribble makes me cringe, but his occasional cuts to the basket or knack for put-backs have been his bread-and-butter all season. Where'd it go? Simply playoff pressure getting to the rook?

NFGIII
04-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Don't forcefeed RJ. Richard Jeferson had a really good Game 2 but with as uneven as his play has been this season, there should be no expectations of a repeat performance in Game 3. I especially don't like it when the coaching staff calls post-ups for RJ. He's never been good on the post, he wasn't good posting up during the regular season and won't suddenly be good at it in the playoffs. Let him score on the break and in the halfcourt when he can penetrate against a rotating defense. .

Agreed. All season long when they did this he just couldn't deliver. He is who he is and you nailed it with being the guy on open breaks and penetrating against a rotating D.

Matt Bonner has to hit shots. The Mavs have been leaving Bonner open most of the time. Bonner has been a better shooter at home (45% on threes at home, 32.4% on the road) so he needs to take advantage of the open looks. If the Spurs are going to blow open the game, they'll need Bonner to spread the defense by draining shots from deep. .

I hope that Matt comes through tonight and hits those shots. It would be a God send for him and the Spurs. He stuggles under pressure so this is a hit and miss situation. If previous performances are a good indicator then most likely a miss. But things could change and I hope they do.

Keep the pressure on Dallas' starting guards. With Jason Kidd, the Spurs need to pressure his dribble as much as possible. If you give him too much freedom, he's smart and talented enough to beat the Spurs by himself. As for Caron Butler, the Spurs need make him feel playoff pressure. In Game 2, he was hesitant and past up a number of open looks. Keep Butler second-guessing and the Spurs have a great chance in this series.

I've been an advocate of putting a man on Kidd and not letting him get open, even if it means not doubling wings or Dirk. I believe that Kidd is the head of the snake and we need to cut it off. Limit his open shots, especially from beyond the arc, and force him to either shoot moving Js or give up the rock. Limiting his ability to create off the dribble limits the Mavs ability to score. He is that improtant to getting the Mavs in an offensive flow. From what happened in game 2 I think the Spurs should continue to focus on Kiddd and give him little room to operate.

EricB
04-23-2010, 05:01 PM
I may have misinterpreted game 2 but it seemed like Matt hit some big shots and maybe he can start building on that..

NFGIII
04-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion to expect NOTHING from Blair this postseason?

Seeing him gather himself to try to back a player down w/ his dribble makes me cringe, but his occasional cuts to the basket or knack for put-backs have been his bread-and-butter all season. Where'd it go? Simply playoff pressure getting to the rook?

Maybe but at this point I think we shouldn't give up on him. Not saying that you are but Dallas's length is really is bothering him and being a rookie and playing in the POs for the first time doesn't help either. Hopefully we get past the Mavs and he gets more comfortable in his role and plays against players of lesser length.

I'd wish for him to try to get the shots off quicker and not try to post up too much in this series. The matchups just aren't that favorable towards him. I'd like to see him play a little futher away from the rim on O and get some of those cuts to the basket for dunks like in game 1. He would be more effective on the move rather than trying to post up down low.IMHO

Let's get game 3 and put some doubt in the Mavs.

:flag:

timvp
04-23-2010, 05:12 PM

Win the rebounding margin by hitting the defensive glass with guards included, and don't commit stupid fouls giving up free throws.

Three good points. The team to win the rebounding margin is 7-0 the last two postseasons. With regards to rotating to shooters, that is especially true for Jason Kidd. If you stop Kidd from shooting set-shot three-pointers, that pretty much mutes his scoring potential. Inside the arc he struggles to score, especially against the Spurs.

timvp
04-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Blair was pretty good in Game 1, not so hot in Game 2. When it comes to rookies in the playoffs, especially those who come off the bench for spot minutes, you have to expect inconsistent play. It's just the nature of the beast. Some games Blair will play well, some games he'll struggle. Honestly, he'll probably struggle more often than not.

What Spurs fans should hope for is Blair has one game in this playoff run where he plays out of his mind and is responsible for a victory. If he does that, his rookie postseason will be a success.

baseline bum
04-23-2010, 05:19 PM
The most important thing is going to be taking care of the ball. There's no way the Spurs can run with Kidd, Butler, and Nowitzki, and if the tempo gets out of hand again from TOs, the Spurs will drop this game.

polandprzem
04-23-2010, 05:20 PM
We need more then one good game for blair

polandprzem
04-23-2010, 05:21 PM
The most important thing is going to be taking care of the ball. There's no way the Spurs can run with Kidd, Butler, and Nowitzki, and if the tempo gets out of hand again from TOs, the Spurs will drop this game.

Yup, pretty much Dallas are feed with Spurs turnovers. To tell you worse truth - mavs are setting the pace of it and takes control of the game. :D

Libri
04-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Matt Bonner has to hit shots. The Mavs have been leaving Bonner open most of the time. Bonner has been a better shooter at home (45% on threes at home, 32.4% on the road) so he needs to take advantage of the open looks. If the Spurs are going to blow open the game, they'll need Bonner to spread the defense by draining shots from deep.Good point, during the regular season his best stats were at home and as a sub. Even his rebounding is better. Hopefully, this is the case tonight.

timvp
04-23-2010, 05:23 PM
We need more then one good game for blair

I didn't mean one good game. I meant one spectacular game where he leads the Spurs to victory. I expect him to have a number of good games, bad games and indifferent games in the meantime.

jestersmash
04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
The first 3 are notable points and are very appropriate pieces of advice given what we've seen in games 1 and 2.

The last piece of advice: "Keep the pressure on Dallas' starting guards" honestly is kind of generic and "duh". Of course you want to do this, you want to do this every game.

I foresee ginobili going to the line a good deal more in this game.

He was 3-3 FT in game 1, and 3-3 FT in game 2. 3 free throws for manu ginobili is a ****ing joke, his style of play easily deserves 6 to 8 FTA per game.

polandprzem
04-23-2010, 05:25 PM
I didn't mean one good game. I meant one spectacular game where he leads the Spurs to victory. I expect him to have a number of good games, bad games and indifferent games in the meantime.

I knew you will point that out ...

1 spectacular
2 fantastic
1 great
3 nice
4 pretty good

and all of sudden spurs will be the champs :)

timvp
04-23-2010, 05:28 PM
The last piece of advice: "Keep the pressure on Dallas' starting guards" honestly is kind of generic and "duh". Of course you want to do this, you want to do this every game.

Pressuring Jason Kidd used to be suicide. Back when he was quick, he'd blow by a pressure defense and either score or find an open player.

Now that Kidd has played 50,000 career minutes or whatever it is, he's not as quick so pressuring his dribble is doable. If the Spurs can do to Kidd what the Lakers did to Terry Porter in 2001, they could really gain an advantage in this series.

benefactor
04-23-2010, 05:31 PM
McDyess will once again be a big part of whether or not the Spurs win or lose tonight. He defense of Dirk, rebounding and flat out hustle played a huge part in maintaining momentum in game 2. I'm also hoping that Hill continues to show more and more confidence on that ankle and looks more like the Hill from the regular season.

baseline bum
04-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Pressuring Jason Kidd used to be suicide. Back when he was quick, he'd blow by a pressure defense and either score or find an open player.

Now that Kidd has played 50,000 career minutes or whatever it is, he's not as quick so pressuring his dribble is doable. If the Spurs can do to Kidd what the Lakers did to Terry Porter in 2001, they could really gain an advantage in this series.

I don't think it's possible to make anyone look as bad as Porter in 01. I don't even think they could make Barea look that bad, much less Kidd.

jestersmash
04-23-2010, 05:32 PM

ahh i see that makes sense. I suppose kidd is more of a 3 point threat these days than a driving threat.

Fpoonsie
04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Maybe but at this point I think we shouldn't give up on him. Not saying that you are but Dallas's length is really is bothering him and being a rookie and playing in the POs for the first time doesn't help either. Hopefully we get past the Mavs and he gets more comfortable in his role and plays against players of lesser length.

I'd wish for him to try to get the shots off quicker and not try to post up too much in this series. The matchups just aren't that favorable towards him. I'd like to see him play a little futher away from the rim on O and get some of those cuts to the basket for dunks like in game 1. He would be more effective on the move rather than trying to post up down low.IMHO

Let's get game 3 and put some doubt in the Mavs.

:flag:

Blair was pretty good in Game 1, not so hot in Game 2. When it comes to rookies in the playoffs, especially those who come off the bench for spot minutes, you have to expect inconsistent play. It's just the nature of the beast. Some games Blair will play well, some games he'll struggle. Honestly, he'll probably struggle more often than not.

What Spurs fans should hope for is Blair has one game in this playoff run where he plays out of his mind and is responsible for a victory. If he does that, his rookie postseason will be a success.

I guess I was looking to him to be our "energy guy" in the postseason. I know he doesn't have a particularly refined skill-set, but you'd hope he could give you a spark off the bench simply bred from pure hustle.

I'd love for him to have a spectacular game (preferably one with one of those surprisingly athletic, soaring in outta nowhere dunks), but the way he's performed thus far, I won't be holding my breath.

And as many have said already, I'd love to see Matt FINALLY heat up...take some of the focus OUTTA the paint for a stretch.

Old School 44
04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Limit turnovers to 10-12 and hit 75% from the line and we'll be ok.

m33p0
04-23-2010, 05:55 PM
pressuring Kidd into driving the ball instead of letting him take stand still 3 pointers seemed a good idea back in Game 2.

DPG21920
04-23-2010, 05:56 PM
If the Spurs win rebounding and keep the 3 point line close, they will have a great shot.

Solid D
04-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Dallas are doing a good job of pushing Gino outside while on pick and rolls. Hopefully manus creativity will let him split the defenders and score. Not an easy task cause Dallas have big frontine.

Also let's not forget that Tim needs some help. Bonne hitting shots can buy Duncan some rest on the bench and on the court [does not need to battle all by himself all the time inside].
Blair! We need him bcause I do not know if Dyess can keep that high intensity as in previous meeting all game long

True. On your point about the screen-rolls, the Mavs are actually showing hard with the screen defender and sticking with the dribbler until the dribble defender recovers from the screen. When J Kidd is defending Manu, it is extremely difficult to split the screen because of Kidd's active hands and experience. The only consistent success Manu has had is passing over the top to the roll man early, before the Big has time to recover. Tim gets a very easy shot inside when that pass is successful.

emanueldavidginobili
04-23-2010, 05:59 PM
first and foremost we have to limit turnovers, we cant afford to turn the ball over against this team. Matt Bonner needs to hit his shots, they need to respect his shot so if one of the bigs are covering bonner then they will be forced to step out which would limit offense of boards, thats another thing, keep haywood of the offensive rebounds, also when Jason terry gets in the game, play him tight and dont let him get anything because hes the spark to that team so if we get on him early and take him out of the game early that will be great because thats where i see the mavs run begin. also if George HIll plays like he did in the regular season we should be fine, we need to hit our freethrows, missed quite a few in game 2 in the begining of the game, We need to play J-kidd tight because his three point shot is deadly nowaday's and he hasnt shown it in either game. dirk is going to get his, thats fine, we need to shut everyone else down. and lets get a heavy dose of timmy going. if we hustle get every loose ball and play with intensity and heart we should win this game.

Brodels
04-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Crisp rotations are, to me, a key. They played great in game two, they missed some opportunities and didn't execute defensively as consistently as I would have liked. If they can tighten this up a bit and avoid turning the ball over, they should be fine.

ShoogarBear
04-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I may have misinterpreted game 2 but it seemed like Matt hit some big shots and maybe he can start building on that..

Bonner had five wide-freaking open three-point attempts. Hit two, which looks good on paper, but in reality wasn't making the Mavs pay for leaving him open.

Spurs Brazil
04-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Must win the rebound battle

Spursmania
04-23-2010, 06:08 PM
For me, its turnovers and offensive rebounds. If we take care of the ball and don't let them get a lot of second shot chances, we've got a great shot at winning this thing.

Spursmania
04-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Bonner had five wide-freaking open three-point attempts. Hit two, which looks good on paper, but in reality wasn't making the Mavs pay for leaving him open.

I have yet to see Bonner perform well under play-off pressure. Really, there are no surprises. To me, I would love to get pie on my face and see him red hot and hitting those 3's when we need them. But I'm realistic. The past is indicative of future performance.

TD 21
04-23-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm wondering, is tonight the inevitable game where Carlisle turns to Beaubois to get up into Parker, or possibly even Ginobili and provide a jolt of energy? If the Spurs get off to a good start, it's possible. More probable is the Spurs win game three and Carlisle goes to Beaubois in game four.

Because of the every other day schedule for the remainder of the series, there's likely going to be a game where Duncan and McDyess flat out don't have it. I don't think that will be tonight, but again, I wouldn't be surprised if it's in game four or five. That's the game they'll need Blair and to a lesser extent, Bonner to play well in. If Blair has one good game in this series and it comes in the game Duncan struggles, then he'll have, for the most part, done his job in this series.

Something I think that's being overlooked in this series is this: The Spurs core is flat out better than the Mavs'. Everyone has this idea that these teams are evenly matched, or that the Mavs, on the basis of home court, size and supposed depth, have the edge. But the truth is, if they're all playing at or near their best, the Spurs core is clear cut better than the Mavs. The Spurs have the best, arguably the second best and three of the four best players in this series.

Basically I look at it like this: If Nowitzki can't consistently draw the ridiculous calls he drew in game one and the Mavs front court can't simply overwhelm the Spurs front court in terms of size, then they're not winning this series. I've said it all season and I'm sticking by it now: The Spurs are the better team.

DPG21920
04-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Coach Rick said he is considering giving Roddy B some burn. So it would not be surprising to see him get some run tonight. Hopefully he does it out of desperation. Hopefully it does not pay off.

neboat
04-23-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't like Terry....and I don't like how he had a big night the last game. I hope Hill can keep this dude in check despite not being 100%

emanueldavidginobili
04-23-2010, 06:30 PM
if anything i think he would put him in in games 1 or 2, not game 3 spurs first playoff game of the year place will be rocking, idk how he would hold up

TD 21
04-23-2010, 06:32 PM
I think it will. The first game Beaubois plays, I think he makes an impact. After that, I don't think he'll do much, but that first game, he'll provide a jolt of energy.

The big thing for Pop is to treat these next two games as must wins. Run the key players into the ground, shorten the rotation as much as necessary, do whatever it takes to win. If they're successful, game five can be the throwaway game, where they take a shot at winning, but probably get blown out early due to the Mavs desperation and rest the key players. The goal at this point should be to win the home games and wrap this thing up in six.

Unfortunately, I don't think it plays out that way. As much as I think the Spurs are better, they're not better in a landslide. I have a hard time seeing either of these teams beating the other three straight times at full strength. The Mavs will probably lose game three and win game four.

timvp
04-23-2010, 06:33 PM

Yeah, the Mavs aren't even defending Bonner yet. If the Spurs wanted to, they could have gotten three-pointers for Bonner every time down the court. Nowitzki turns into a seven-foot rover when Bonner is on the court.

That's why it is so important for Bonner to make them pay, preferably in this game. He needs to hit two in a row or three in a quarter or something like that. Force Dirk to actually guard him and that will open the court for everyone else. And as we've seen from Bonner's plus/minus numbers in the regular season the last two seasons, the Spurs are damn good when the court is spread.

DPG21920
04-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Spurs have to win this game imo. If they do, their chances of winning the series go way up imo. Even if they were to lose game 4.

Beating these guys twice in a row will say something and it will put the Mavs in the pressure situation.

m33p0
04-23-2010, 06:36 PM
40% for a 3-point shooter is good. and he played defense as well as his short arms and pasty white legs allowed him to do. what i liked about his game in Game 2 was he was taking those shoots WILLINGLY.

timvp
04-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I also hope the Spurs continue to use Duncan exactly like they used him in the first two games. In the past, San Antonio got in the bad habit of trying to force teams to double-team Duncan by going to Duncan over and over and over again. It seems like they have finally realized the Mavs aren't going to consistently double Duncan no matter what they do. So instead of trying to force Dallas' hand, just go to Duncan when you need him most. Other than that, have Duncan concentrate on the boards and being the ultimate garbage man on both ends.

ShoogarBear
04-23-2010, 06:38 PM
40% is good when you're being defended. When nobody is bothering to guard you and you're supposed to be a 3-point shooter it's subpar.

If you told Rick Carlisle that you could leave Bonner wide open all game and he'd only go 2 for 5, he would take that EVERY GAME.

polandprzem
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I also hope the Spurs continue to use Duncan exactly like they used him in the first two games. In the past, San Antonio got in the bad habit of trying to force teams to double-team Duncan by going to Duncan over and over and over again. It seems like they have finally realized the Mavs aren't going to consistently double Duncan no matter what they do. So instead of trying to force the Dallas' hand, just go to Duncan when you need him most. Other than that, have Duncan concentrate on the boards and being the ultimate garbage man on both ends.

Duncan took off the pocket every move in his offensive arsenal, and it really was effective against Mavs.

Hopefully Tim will continue to do so and let's hope his help defense will be sharp.

TD 21
04-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I agree DPG. This one is crucial. So crucial that if Blair continues to struggle and Mason (or Bogans, but for now he appears to be on the outs) struggles in their initial rotation, they should be immediately pulled and the Spurs should go down to a seven man rotation in the second half. If Duncan has to go over 40 minutes, so be it. If Ginobili has to play 40 minutes, so be it. McDyess, if he has to go well over 30 minutes, so be it. Virtually nothing within' reason should be off limits.

As for Bonner, we know he can't play under pressure. Even so, shouldn't he be long overdue to have a good shooting game, particularly under pressure? Theoretically, he should be. Law of averages.

m33p0
04-23-2010, 06:42 PM
40% is good when you're being defended. When nobody is bothering to guard you and you're supposed to be a 3-point shooter it's subpar.

If you told Rick Carlisle that you could leave Bonner wide open all game and he'd only go 2 for 5, he would take that EVERY GAME.
and if he does gets defended, wouldn't you say he did his job? his role is to free up the floor, isn't it?

polandprzem
04-23-2010, 06:43 PM
I do not want to see mason even 13 seconds on the floor.
he is so bad on D right now it's not even funny

DPG21920
04-23-2010, 06:44 PM
I know it is cliche, but the energy level has to be at an all time high. This is something so intangible, but very noticeable.

ShoogarBear
04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
and if he does gets defended, wouldn't you say he did his job? his role is to free up the floor, isn't it?

The point is he didn't get defended. So he wasn't really freeing up the floor.

Yeah, if he had somebody closing out on him, 40% wouldn't be bad. But he didn't. That's why it's not impressive.

If you heard somebody shot 60%, you'd think "Boy, great shooting". But if you heard it was on fast break layups, you'd say "That's not great". Bonner hitting 40% with nobody guarding him is akin to shooting 60% on layups.

timvp
04-23-2010, 06:47 PM
I really don't want to see Bogans on the court. I have a bad feeling Pop may try to use this homecourt advantage as a reason to open up the rotation and play more players. If that happens and Bogans sees PT, my head might explode.

RMJ is really bad too but at least with him the Mavs actually defend him. And there's always a chance RMJ gets hot and knocks down a couple threes. Small chance these days, but a chance nonetheless.

m33p0
04-23-2010, 06:48 PM
The point is he didn't get defended. So he wasn't really freeing up the floor.

Yeah, if he had somebody closing out on him, 40% wouldn't be bad. But he didn't. That's why it's not impressive.

If you heard somebody shot 60%, you'd think "Boy, great shooting". But if you heard it was on fast break layups, you'd say "That's not great". Bonner hitting 40% with nobody guarding him is the equivalent of shooting 60% on layups.
impressive>>>good. big difference. here's hoping he shoots better then. :toast

DPG21920
04-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't see Pop playing Bogans unless things go very wrong and the well is dry. Pop will not stick with guys if things go very bad (see game 1 role players).

They won game 1 and Pop will probably keep the rotation much the same if there is not foul trouble and the team is playing competitive.

ShoogarBear
04-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Bogans gets minutes tonight. Book it.

DPG21920
04-23-2010, 06:50 PM

In what context? If it is a blowout? If the role players are giving nothing like in game 1? Or just no matter what, even if things are going well, as in game 2?

timvp
04-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Spurs have to win this game imo. If they do, their chances of winning the series go way up imo. Even if they were to lose game 4.

I really think the Spurs need to win the next two games. With only one day of rest from here on out in the series, the Mavs gain a larger and larger advantage as the series progresses. Ginobili already looked tired in the fourth quarter of last game and Duncan's knees are sure to hurt more the further he gets from that extended rest he got before the playoffs. The lack of rest would make me predict a Dallas victory in a Game 7.

It starts tonight but these next two games are both "must win" in my book. That's even more true if the Spurs want to have the gas to run with the Suns next round . . .

timvp
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM

I really hope he doesn't but I think he does. Pop will try to buy bench minutes for Manu and Hill to keep them rested for the rest of the series. That's when the "centerpiece" will make his appearance :depressed

TD 21
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
I do not want to see mason even 13 seconds on the floor.
he is so bad on D right now it's not even funny

If none of them are in foul trouble and Hill's ankle is not bothering him, I'm wondering if Pop should go to a 4 man rotation on the perimeter. Lots of rotating, lots of short rests. Similar to how the last few games of the '05 Finals were handled. This game is too important to even have Mason in for 5-6 minutes.

For example, if the Spurs lose this game by four, I don't want them to do so with Duncan playing 39 minutes instead of 41, or Ginobili playing 38 instead of 40, or McDyess playing 29 instead of 32.

To me, this is the '07 Suns series all over again. Game three had to be a win. Pop recognized that and it was evident by him not being afraid to play Duncan and Parker major minutes. Granted, they were younger then, but still. The same mentality has to apply to tonight's game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200705120SAS.html

polandprzem
04-23-2010, 07:00 PM
I really think the Spurs need to win the next two games. With only one day of rest from here on out in the series, the Mavs gain a larger and larger advantage as the series progresses. Ginobili already looked tired in the fourth quarter of last game and Duncan's knees are sure to hurt more the further he gets from that extended rest he got before the playoffs. The lack of rest would make me predict a Dallas victory in a Game 7.

It starts tonight but these next two games are both "must win" in my book. That's even more true if the Spurs want to have the gas to run with the Suns next round . . .

In mine as well

We cannot afford to go on a game 5 having 2-2 in the series, if we want to win this.
Mavs now have 2 games to gain the control of the series

ShoogarBear
04-23-2010, 07:01 PM
In what context? If it is a blowout? If the role players are giving nothing like in game 1? Or just no matter what, even if things are going well, as in game 2?

In any context. Hopefully in a blowout. With the Spurs winning. But even if the point spread is never more than 3, Bogans will get some run.

Pop will not be able to handle 2 straight DNP-CDs from the centerpiece. He's loyal to a fault.

DPG21920
04-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I hope you're wrong. I hope Bogans does not see any minutes unless it is a blowout. If it's a blowout, I hope he does not hit 3's because that would suck.

The Truth #6
04-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Screw Bogans. I'd still rather see Temple. It's sad to see Mason in such a slump. But with that gardening glove he has on his shooting hand, it's hard for me to expect him to make many shots.

As for Blair, he did have that HUGE game at the end of the regular season versus Dallas. I'm not sure if that means he's not due for another big game for a while, or, there's something about Dallas that might make him play well. We haven't seen it yet, really. And for the most part this season, whenever Blair completely played out of his mind, to me, it always seemed like his quality of play was based on his own mindset and not anything the other team was or was not doing. I do expect him to play better being at home. Hopefully he puts all his energy into hitting the glass and efficiently running the pick and roll.

I expect Dallas to come out strong and for us to have a small letdown to begin the game before getting back into it. This game is where the series really starts and I'm expecting a 2006-esque back and forth game that comes down to the final play.

emanueldavidginobili
04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
i want this game to start already.

Cane
04-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Don't forget:

Camera people. Position yourself so you're less of a problem than you normally are :)

DPG21920
04-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Just heard an interesting stat to back up my assumption. The mavs have 8 playoff series that were tied 1-1 & the winner of game 3 won the series all 8 times. The spurs have had 24 playoff series that were 1-1 & the winner of game 3 won the series 23 times.

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Just heard an interesting stat to back up my assumption. The mavs have 8 playoff series that were tied 1-1 & the winner of game 3 won the series all 8 times. The spurs have had 24 playoff series that were 1-1 & the winner of game 3 won the series 23 times.

Nice dig DPG....Huge game tonight

jestersmash
04-23-2010, 07:54 PM

It looks good on paper because it...is good.

shooting 2-5 from 3 is equivalent to shooting 3-5 two point field goals, and we'd all take a 3-5 start from anybody on the team.

jestersmash
04-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I hope you're wrong. I hope Bogans does not see any minutes unless it is a blowout. If it's a blowout, I hope he does not hit 3's because that would suck.

What we really need to do is to have a blowout game, put Bogans in during garbage time, and have him launch 7-10 3 pointers.

he'll miss those 7-10 three pointers straight...which means he'll go a much needed 2-5 or 3-7 during a critical game down the road.

It takes about 7-10 straight misses until Bogans has a decent, albeit short lived, shooting night from 3.

ffadicted
04-23-2010, 08:05 PM

Good find bro, hopefully we'll come out with a big effort/win tonight and the percentages will pull our way :king

Cant_Be_Faded
04-23-2010, 09:54 PM
good call timvp

fucking TrutleHead is ruining us

Also worried about Ginobili's energy for fourth quarter already.

emanueldavidginobili
04-23-2010, 09:58 PM
good call timvp

fucking TrutleHead is ruining us

Also worried about Ginobili's energy for fourth quarter already.

why are you worried about his energy? hes only play 15 minutes he has the whole halftime to rest and he hasnt really been running around on offense, he'll be fine.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-23-2010, 10:02 PM
why are you worried about his energy? hes only play 15 minutes he has the whole halftime to rest and he hasnt really been running around on offense, he'll be fine.

I just am. He did play only 16 minutes but he seriously looks like he's giving it 15000% of his energy on every play. With the exception of the beginning of the 2nd when he was on the court and Parker ran pick n rolls with Blair, he's been giving it all the energy he possibly can.

That's why he has 1 block and 2 steals (should be four, fucking stats)

emanueldavidginobili
04-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I just am. He did play only 16 minutes but he seriously looks like he's giving it 15000% of his energy on every play. With the exception of the beginning of the 2nd when he was on the court and Parker ran pick n rolls with Blair, he's been giving it all the energy he possibly can.

That's why he has 1 block and 2 steals (should be four, fucking stats)

haha yeah true true, but halftime is so long especially if you need a rest he should be fine. and yeah dude has like 4 steals not 2

ShoogarBear
04-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Like I said, no way does Bogans get off the bench tonight.

DPG21920
04-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Like I said, no way does Bogans get off the bench tonight.

:lol

MannyIsGod
04-24-2010, 12:28 AM
:lmao

Yeah good call DP...SHOOG.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-24-2010, 12:29 AM
heyheyhey
he jinxed the call on purpose!

EricB
04-24-2010, 12:29 AM
:lol

MannyIsGod
04-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Seriously though. I never thought Pop would do what he's doing and not play Bogans. I'm pretty fucking impressed.

Spurminator
04-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Playing the best players, little to no Small Ball... It's a dream come true.

MannyIsGod
04-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Maybe he's sobered up now that Finley is off the team.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Seriously though. I never thought Pop would do what he's doing and not play Bogans. I'm pretty fucking impressed.

It's almost scary how pleased I can assume we've all been with Pop so far.

Speaking of Pop....does anyone else seem to think Rick Carlisle is kind of like a young Pop? I mean in terms of his demeanor, and how he looks like it's a fucking BEATING for him to do his job, he looks so mad all the time, never pleased, never like he's having fun? Also how he interacts with the press. Call me a douche, but save for his semi-bitching remark about no-calls tonight, I think his personality is like a championship-less, young, angry-as-hell Pop.

Also--gonna use this thread instead of starting a new one....

Does the spurs shooting 48.7% tonight, combined with 49% in game 2, and 50% in game 1 mean anything?

Is it a trend? Is it a trend that matters?

Curious for yalls opinions.

DPG21920
04-24-2010, 12:47 AM
The thing that gets me is when I checked the Box score in the third, the Mavs were 50% FG, 46% 3PT and 91% FT :wow

The Spurs dropped their FG% a ton, and I cannot believe they won a game where not only they did not hit a 3, but the Mavs were on fire from 3.

td4mvp21
04-24-2010, 12:51 AM
The thing that gets me is when I checked the Box score in the third, the Mavs were 50% FG, 46% 3PT and 91% FT :wow

The Spurs dropped their FG% a ton, and I cannot believe they won a game where not only they did not hit a 3, but the Mavs were on fire from 3.

At some point late in the 4th quarter (I forget when, but it was before the Mavs made all the garbage buckets when the game was over), I believe Hubie said the Mavs had been held to 3-15 fgs in the fourth quarter. Spurs went on lockdown.

ShoogarBear
04-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Playing the best players, little to no Small Ball... It's a dream come true.

And no more live by the three/die by the three.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-24-2010, 01:12 AM
I don't want to get ahead of myself

but how impressive is this win for the simple fact that we actually won with hardcore playoff defense? We didn't depend on fuckin 3 point jacker jumpshots like we have for the longest time now.

We missed everything, stopped taking them, and just took it to a team. That owns us. What an incredible win.

Damn it feels good to be a Spurs fan.

crc21209
04-24-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't want to get ahead of myself

but how impressive is this win for the simple fact that we actually won with hardcore playoff defense? We didn't depend on fuckin 3 point jacker jumpshots like we have for the longest time now.

We missed everything, stopped taking them, and just took it to a team. That owns us. What an incredible win.

Damn it feels good to be a Spurs fan.

Amen. Classic, rugged, grind it out, old school Spurs win...and I fkn LOVE it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Technically, the Spurs will be at home tonight for Game 3. But against these Mavs, there really isn't any homecourt advantage. Since the 2006 playoffs, the Mavs have been extremely comfortable in the AT&T Center. In fact, the Mavs seem to execute better against the Spurs in San Antonio than in Dallas.

This season, the Mavs have been great on the road. Their 27-14 road record in the regular season was the best in the entire NBA. If the Spurs don't bring the same type of intensity and attention to detail they had in Game 2, the Mavs could easily jump on the Spurs early.

Why are the Mavs so good on the road? A lot of it has to do with Jason Terry. At home, Terry averaged 15.8 points on 41.7% shooting from the field and 31.9% on three-pointers. On the road, Terry was much better: 17.5 points on 46% from the field and 40.8% on threes. It'd be wise if the Spurs paid extra attention to Terry tonight.

Here are some other concerns for Game 3:

Don't forcefeed RJ. Richard Jeferson had a really good Game 2 but with as uneven as his play has been this season, there should be no expectations of a repeat performance in Game 3. I especially don't like it when the coaching staff calls post-ups for RJ. He's never been good on the post, he wasn't good posting up during the regular season and won't suddenly be good at it in the playoffs. Let him score on the break and in the halfcourt when he can penetrate against a rotating defense.

Manu Ginobili needs to drive to score. When Ginobili runs pick-and-rolls, a lot of times scoring for himself isn't a priority. However, against the Mavs, that is a mistake. The Mavs are very long and active on defense and they can make a passing lane disappear in an instant. What the Mavs don't do as well is protect the paint on pick-and-rolls. For that reason, Ginobili needs to try to score each and every time he quarterbacks a pick-and-roll. If the Mavs overplay pick-and-rolls to keep Ginobili out of the lane, that's when the Argentine star can create open looks for others.

Matt Bonner has to hit shots. The Mavs have been leaving Bonner open most of the time. Bonner has been a better shooter at home (45% on threes at home, 32.4% on the road) so he needs to take advantage of the open looks. If the Spurs are going to blow open the game, they'll need Bonner to spread the defense by draining shots from deep.

Well, you got 3/4... :toast :lol