PDA

View Full Version : Stern Threat heard in S.A

Tp9gospursgo
04-23-2010, 06:44 PM
STERN THREAT HEARD IN SAApril 23, 2010 · 5:21PM
Posted by Art Garcia
SAN ANTONIO — Richard Jefferson has always enjoyed a good relationship with referees. At least he said so today on the eve of tonight’s Game 3, joking that he’s gotten to the line plenty over his career.
The Spurs forward also said there’s an art to talking to officials, knowing when in a game to pick your spot and make a point.
“It’s true,” Jefferson said. “You say some things and it can help a situation go either way. The referees are human. They’re not being influenced, but they’re humans. They understand what everyone’s been saying and people talk about it for three or four days, and their character is being questioned. It’s a tough job. There’s human error involved in everything.”
That error has led to plenty of complaining in recently about the quality of officiating, who’s getting calls and the like. A fed up commissioner David Stern said Thursday in Oklahoma City hat’s he’s tired of it and will beginning suspending coaches and players if the foolishness doesn’t stop.
That got the attention of coaches and players at this first-round series.
“I believe him,” Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said. “I’ve gotten to know the commissioner well over the last few years because of my involvement with the coaches association. He’s a man that’s interested in the well-being of the game. He’s interested in doing the right things. I don’t think you’re going to see any of that stuff in this series.”
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich hopes it doesn’t.
“No matter what happens, referees are going to miss calls, players are going to make mistakes, coaches are going to make mistakes, and it’s probably better best if we can all find a way to shut up and move on,” Pop said. “It’ll be better for everybody. Sometimes emotion takes over and hopefully [suspensions] won’t happen for anybody.”
As Mavs guard Jason Terry summed up: “Stern is going to be real stern obviously here in the playoffs and that’s a good thing.”

m33p0
04-23-2010, 06:45 PM
hopefully not.

lurker
04-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Stern is going to be real stern
I see what you did there.

The Truth #6
04-23-2010, 07:09 PM
I now expect a horribly officiated game tonight.

Tp9gospursgo
04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks RJ...should have kept your mouth shut...

50 cent
04-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Phyllis didn't take the warning seriously....will Stern now shove his balls down Jackson's throat? I hope so, but I doubt it.

On Friday, Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson fought back.

"I think when you start throwing one- and two-game suspensions in the threats, I think that means a lot to both ball clubs and coaches," Jackson said at Lakers practice. "It seems awful heavy-handed to me, but David is one who isn't shy about being heavy-handed."

"There's a certain gamesmanship that goes on that obviously he feels cheapens the game," Jackson continued. "It never was explained to us until it suddenly came down in this last week that arbitrarily they were going to do this. I missed the coaches meeting last September. Maybe they explained it in the coaches meeting last year because they said there was a couple instances last year when I think it was [Stan] Van Gundy and [Rick] Adelman were fined during the playoffs for statements that led to manipulating the press, I guess is the best way I can say it.

"I don't know how you guys could be so naive, being members of the fifth estate, third estate, second estate or whatever state you're members of."

Jackson said he thought the severity of Stern's statement was unwarranted.

"[If] there's a situation of favoritism on the NBA court, I don't think anybody is going to be deluded into thinking that [certain] people don't get calls on the court, regardless of how you say it," Jackson said. "It's just a natural evolution of the game and it's a natural evolution of who gets the ball the most. They're going to end up a lot of times at the foul line. Unfortunately it didn't work for Kobe [Bryant] that way last night, but it did for Kevin [Durant]. But that's the way things go in this game. You have to accept it, swallow it and move on."

"In that instance, Pat started out by saying [Michael] Jordan got all the calls and got to the foul line all the time, that blatantly," Jackson said, describing a public battle of barbs between the two when Riley was coaching the New York Knicks and Jackson was coaching the Chicago Bulls in the early 1990s. "And I said, 'You should talk, Patrick Ewing travels every time he goes to the basket,' so we went tit for tat when it started like that. Now that's pretty blatant.

"Saying that Kevin Durant probably doesn't deserve all the foul calls he gets, what I said, he probably doesn't earn all the foul shots he takes, I don't know if that's as blatant as saying what Pat said about Michael Jordan."

"It's about the energy that's in the building, let's face it," Jackson said. "There's 20,000 people here that are really [intense]. It's not an objective thing, it's subjective. We try to make it objective, but it's subjective. People definitely lean a certain way. There's a certain statistic I think that can prove that. But we try to do the best we [can] do it and I think the referees do a good job with what they've got."

"You know, I know that the referees take an eye test, I don't know if they take a reading test," Jackson said.

Jackson also wanted to clear up his brief meeting with Stern prior to Game 3 at the Ford Center. Stern described it as, "I just came by and said, 'Hi,' and he said, 'I don't like you today,' and I said, 'I like you.'"

"We ran into each other in the hallway ... I did not say I didn't like him. I said, 'I'm not happy with you,' is what I said and he said, 'I'm happy with you,'" Jackson explained. "He misquoted the exchange."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=5130534

Tp9gospursgo
04-23-2010, 07:34 PM
I hope Phil gets fined for that..

JWest596
04-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Jackson is taunting Stern with these coments. If Stern takes the bait, then Jackson proves a point. He's playing his mind games. And the prick thinks he so subtle and clever.

birdy219
04-23-2010, 07:45 PM
"We ran into each other in the hallway ... I did not say I didn't like him. I said, 'I'm not happy with you,' is what I said and he said, 'I'm happy with you,'" Jackson explained. "He misquoted the exchange."

:depressed Read between the lines. Stern said that he was happy with Phil :bang because he has something up his sleeve. :nope Last night, he told his boy joey to prove a point to Phil by not sending Kobe to the line and calling a poor game for the road team.
Whether Phil learns his lesson or not is irrelevant..because Stern must always be happy. :greedy

Please someone change his plans. :ihit:p: :flag:

Tp9gospursgo
04-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Phil needs to be suspended to hopefully make the lakers lose lol

ffadicted
04-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Phil is such a fucking little bitch man

Andy25
04-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Lmao although I don't like the Lakers and have some questions with Phil's coaching, he's a funny guy and probably pretty chill to hang with.

Andy25
04-23-2010, 08:13 PM
:hat

Whisky Dog
04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
WTF does Phil, The refs helped me to 10 titles by putting Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe on the line all the time" Jackson have to complain about? He's that spoiled rich kid that gets mad when her dad takes her Porche away and calls him an asshole.

Tp9gospursgo
04-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Dice throws it down!

Tp9gospursgo
04-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Wrong thread

Avitus1
04-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Love the sig Tp9gospursgo.

Tp9gospursgo
04-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Love the sig Tp9gospursgo.

Thanks. I thought it was necessary for the series. :toast

Das Texan
04-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Phil is going to lose his greatest weapon!

Kori Ellis
04-24-2010, 05:52 AM
So, will Stern actually do anything:

“It seems like we’re under the magnifying glass when we play defense,” Dampier said. “When we’re on offense, there’s no magnifying glass. You’ve got to call it both ways. Dirk drives, he doesn’t get a foul. They drive, they get a ticky-tack foul. Just keep it consistent. Don’t be one way or the other.”

timvp
04-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Dirk drives, he doesn’t get a foul. :lmao :lmao :lmao *breathes* :lmao

Muser
04-24-2010, 06:57 AM
lol mav players complaining about dirk not getting calls