View Full Version : Bowen plans same pesky defense against Allen in playoffs

ducks
05-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Bowen plans same pesky defense against Allen in playoffs

By T.A. BADGER, Associated Press Writer
May 6, 2005

AP - May 5, 8:40 pm EDT
More Photos

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Ray Allen is bound to be disappointed if he was hoping to talk his way into a gentler brand of defense from Bruce Bowen in the playoffs.

Allen, Seattle's high-scoring guard, criticized San Antonio's top perimeter defender Thursday, saying that Bowen's playing style was too slappy and pushy to be considered real basketball.

But Bowen shrugged off the comments Friday and said Allen can expect to be guarded in the usual way when their Western Conference semifinal starts Sunday in San Antonio.

``I don't think it's anything personal -- he's an All-Star and deserves all the credit that he gets,'' Bowen said. ``But on the court it's about me competing with one of the elites in the league. ... I don't know what they're thinking saying some of the things being said, but so be it. Let's just play the game.''

Bowen, runner-up to Ben Wallace for defensive player of the year, had mixed success on Allen during the regular season. But in late March, the final game between the SuperSonics and Spurs, he held Allen to 14 points on 6-for-17 shooting.

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said the Spurs know they can't completely stop Allen in the best-of-seven series.

``Two or three people will try to do the best they can on him, but he's still going to score,'' Popovich said. ``We don't think in terms of stopping him. We're just going to try to not let him get 48.''

ADVERTISEMENT

Seattle coach Nate McMillan praised Bowen as a defender, but he echoed Allen's view on the grabbing and holding when the officials aren't looking.

``We have to play through the physical play and some of the no-calls, possibly,'' he said. ``We have to set screens. We have to execute our pick-and-rolls ... We have to free up Ray. I think we'll have to tweak some of our sets to give him two ways to go.''

Allen, who averaged 32.4 points in the first round against Sacramento, said Bowen is free to play more aggressively because he knows Tim Duncan and other big men are there to back him up.

``A couple of times we've played against San Antonio, I've gotten by Bruce but their bigs are pretty swarmy,'' he said. ``When I have the ball, they're going to pay attention to everything I do.''

Allen doesn't present the only defensive challenge for the Spurs, who led the NBA in fewest points allowed this season.

Rashard Lewis, a 6-foot-10 forward who shot 40 percent from behind the 3-point line this season, figures to find himself in a mismatch against Manu Ginobili or Brent Barry.

``He's a tough cover and we're going to have little guys on him,'' Popovich said. ``They're going to have their hands full.''

Lewis expects to see a lot of double-teams, as he did in the Sacramento series, though San Antonio's may be tougher.

``Their defense is so good because they know how to help each other,'' he said. ``Their guards are pressuring out on the wing and they've always got someone ready to help when you're ready to make a move to the basket.''

Ishta
05-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Kill em Bruce!!with kindness and excellent down your throat defense.