PDA

View Full Version : Ticket 760 Changes Programming.......

utsagolfpb
08-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Ticket 760 Sports Expands Local Programming
Six Hours of Local Sports Talk each Weekday

San Antonio’s Sports Station, Ticket 760 (KTKR-AM), is adding three additional hours of local sports talk programming each weekday beginning Monday, August 23rd.

New Weekday Afternoon & Evening Local Sports Talk Lineup

· SportsTalk San Antonio 2pm-5pm: Co-hosted by Walter Pasacrita and Jeff Vexler, along with News 4 WOAI’s Don Harris. (Previously heard from 4pm-7pm)

· Hardcore Sports 5pm-8pm: Co-hosted by Rob Thompson and Jason Thompson. Veterans on the local sports scene, Rob and Jason’s local Saturday program has been heard on Ticket 760 since 2000. The Thompsons have a nationally syndicated Sunday program on Fox Sports Radio.

According to KTKR/WOAI-AM director of programming, Nate Lundy, the additional local programming is a result of SportsTalk San Antonio’s success over the past few years, and in direct response to listeners’ wishes for more local sports talk. Lundy also says that the new local programming will create higher visibility for all of the station’s local program hosts.

“Don Harris is being promoted into the lead role hosting Spurs Game Time Warm-Up on our Spurs flagship station 1200 WOAI. He’ll also take over as the sole host of the Coach Pop Show on Ticket 760, on top of his TV work at News 4 WOAI. This gives Jeff Vexler, who has been a big part of our Spurs pre-game and post-game coverage, a higher profile alongside Walter Pasacrita. Then there’s Rob and Jason Thompson who have built a tremendous fan base here in San Antonio. They, too, are getting a big promotion to weekdays”, said Lundy, who added that it was important to him that these programs showcase local San Antonio talent.

Ticket 760 Weekday Program Schedule starting August 23
7am-11am - The Tony Bruno Show
11am-2pm - The Jim Rome Show
2pm-5pm - Sports Talk San Antonio
5pm-8pm - Hardcore Sports
8pm-9pm - Steve Czaban
9pm-1am - JT "The Brick"

utsagolfpb
08-18-2004, 10:39 AM
MY Bad, didn't see the thread in the Spurs Section.

Blood Dong
08-18-2004, 11:56 AM
This is a very good thing. However, I could do without Rome, and Jt the Prick. This is getting closer and closer to the little Ticket in Dallas, all local all the time. Hopefully they will do some bits, and add characters as well.

Joe Chalupa
08-18-2004, 12:41 PM
What? Oh the hoorah.

Rome Rules!!

Blood Dong
08-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Rome blows.........too many tangents. Give all local all the time

Joe Chalupa
08-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Only if it's good local.
Most of the time on sports talk SA they don't talk sports.
But I listen to it anyway.

I love the morning extravaganza too!!

Johnny Blaze 47
08-18-2004, 01:01 PM
So you want us to go all local, but you said in another thread there was nothing local to talk about, hence the national coverage.

Do we really need Spurs, Cowboys and Longhorns all the time? That's what we'd get if it were all local all the time.

utsagolfpb
08-18-2004, 01:01 PM
We got to meet Rome a couple of times. He's a victim of his own success. He originally started his tough guy act to get some ratings, and it took off.

Now it's out of control. We've met him 3 times, and he is actually very polite, soft spoken off the air. But he has to be "JIM ROME" on the air.

What is a little weird is how many writers he has for his show. As you can tell, almost 75% of what Rome says comes from a script. So it's funny that he rips people for reading their takes.

I do have to admit, he is one of the best interviewers there is on radio.

War Thompson Bros.
War StacieTheSportsChick
I'm out.....

utsagolfpb
08-18-2004, 01:05 PM
All Local All The Time, is not a good formula.

All Sports, with a local flavor is much better.

CosmicCowboyXXX
08-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Jim Rome?

We already knew he was all hat and no cattle.

tough guy?...:lol

www.big-boys.com/articles/jimeverett.html (http://www.big-boys.com/articles/jimeverett.html)

not sure why the link isn't automatic. It works if you cut and paste it.

SAmikeyp
08-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Peter, I agree wholeheartedly.

Pooh
08-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Three hours of local sports is bad enough, but six? That's to the extreme. They should just cut it back to two hours. Don and Walter showed they run out of things to say after the first 1/2 hour or so.

Cut out meaningless things like the "Topic Wheel" and "what they did this weekend" and they might have something. Oh that cheesy little Pink Panther play they do whenever they have Todd Ant on the show. I keep waiting for Ant to just explode and tell them it was funny the first trillion times they did it, now it's just annoying.

KoriEllis
08-18-2004, 03:50 PM
All Sports, with a local flavor is much better.

I would think that is what they'll do on Hardcore Sports. Leaving STSA as primarily local talk. But who knows.

Pete -- I picked up Maxim yesterday to see Stacie. She looks cute, as always. But damn, some of those other girls really left nothing to the imagination!

SAmikeyp
08-18-2004, 04:15 PM
I think three hours of local sports is good. Personally for me, the more the better. I can get national news anywhere but I enjoy hearing more indepth coverage of what is relevant to my area. Summer is also a bad time for sports talk radio because there is just not a whole lot to talk about. The NBA wraps up in June and the NFL regular season starts up in September so that leaves mostly baseball. At least locally we can hear about what our teams are doing in the offseason. I would like to see more high school coverage. Those kids bust their asses and deserve the coverage. I do agree with you Pooh, on the topic wheel and such. IMO, way too gimmicky and just tired. A good host or hosts can stretch topics and be entertaining. That is why I like the Thompsons. Don and Waltra just don't get it.....Don Harris used to be pretty cool but over the last couple of years he has gotten snotty and condescending toward people.

T Park Num 9
08-18-2004, 04:22 PM
The Thompsons are great. Hilarious, funny, I actually look forward to GNR again now that they are on.

After everett was knocked out I hated GNr, it was boring with everett and that Maverick fan club member.

Now its entertaining again.

Just wondering how Jason is gonna fit it in with his daytime gig.

DuffMcCartney
08-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Man I've never seen that Jim Everett thing before...Rome is a little pussy. What a god damn bitch. I've never really liked him...and his show entertains me sometimes...but for the most part...he's a twat.

Blood Dong
08-18-2004, 06:17 PM
I wish I could some how give you guys a slice of the Ticket in Dallas, it's absolute genius!!! It's kind of like this forum. A little bit of everything mixed in with sports. It's like Maxim magazine on the air. It's got obviously sports, bits, characters, segments, but it's local people. They will probably go through some people before they find the right mix. Don Harris went to college wiht the morning show guys in Dallas, and if I were to bet he's trying to get a format like theirs. Give it a chance. I am sooo hoping it works. The only thng I don't like is that Clear Channel is a bunch of prudes, they get knee jerk reactions at anything racy on the air.

Pooh
08-18-2004, 06:25 PM
I would prefer a little "racy" on the air, however Don Harris and his "I'm embarassing and distancing myself" keeps that from happening. Maybe with this change that will take place.

T Park Num 9
08-18-2004, 08:13 PM
They get racy because the majority of the listeners wanna hear about sports, not hoes.

If you wanna talk hoes, start a hoe network.

Some people dont wanna hear that BS at all.

DuffMcCartney
08-18-2004, 10:06 PM
I wish I could some how give you guys a slice of the Ticket in Dallas, it's absolute genius!!!

www.theticket.com (http://www.theticket.com)

They stream their stuff online...everything.

DuffMcCartney
08-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Damn double post.

Taz1
08-18-2004, 10:41 PM
i tuned into the sports talk show? on sat, about a few weeks ago, and that show still sucks !!!

now they had some dork on there with one of those thompson bros, with the thinking that it would re-vitalize the show, and imho, they made it absolutely 100 % worse !!!!

oh well ...

college football is on the horizon for saturdays, anyhow, so that sat ticket talk show can go ahead & "pack it in" !!!

p.s. with that show on the air, "war saturday morning cartoons", and bring back bugs, daffy, foghorn, etc. !

Tonto Lives
08-18-2004, 11:16 PM
Tonto only have two words why Sports Radio sucks

Nate Lundy

MouseOnSports
08-18-2004, 11:29 PM
I remember back in the day Pooh was known as the king of Bitching, In fact me and him went toe to toe many a time on the forums. I would tell him Give Don And Walter a chance.

Him and Dave Nukem and RevHill hated the show.

Not me I was a supporter of the show...

I was a fool. I used to get the same generic e mail from Andrew. Thank you for your passion. no matter what you told Mr. Ashwood you would get that same e mail.

It was not until I realized that Pooh was not just bitching to bitch, everything he said turned out to be true,

I was a fool calling Tony Bruno and giving them all my sound bites,

I was a fool to call in after every game to do battle with JBL

What did it get me? I am not sure what is worst,
The fact that STSA will still be around for a long time?
Or the fact that it will be on a longer time each day, I wish Pooh would hurry and sell about a 1/4 million copies of his book so we can have another radio station that talks sports, Hell I will settle for talking about boxing/the Olympics etc. Oh wait I think STSA did talk about the Olympics, they spent all there time talking about the makeup the gymnastic team wore. I guess that's better than Dons lawn mower or his toilet, oh well I got to go now it's almost 10pm that only gives me 20 hours to think of a good answer for the topic wheel

peace,

SequSpur
08-18-2004, 11:44 PM
What did it get me?

Bro, the question is.... What do you want? You are a caller into a radio show. They can turn you on or turn you off.

I don't call into them anymore, because when Don Harris is on.................................... I just listen to something else.

:next3

Taz1
08-19-2004, 12:12 AM
... because when Don Harris is on.................................... I just listen to something else.

'nuff said !!!

:served

Tonto Lives
08-19-2004, 01:45 AM
SequSpur

Bro, the question is.... What do you want?

How about respect? If Kori had a radio show and there was 5 callers on hold and she only knew you?
SequSpur who calls in every day? A man who goes to her house to eat drink and get measured? You think she will take all the other callers but you?

How about JBL? The man put Game night react on the map.

If not for Johnny Bottom-line? I would have never called in, along with hundreds of other callers.
The man Dies and Don and Walter make Jokes about it.

They use people that is the Bottom-line, ask Longhorn E or Longhorn Gene,Gino, Scott, Johnny D, Preacher Tyron
and others. Have you ever had your phone ring after 12oo midnight by the call screener telling you JBL is on hold waiting to talk smack?

At that time I had a job, I had to be on the clock at 7:15 am

Game Night react would start around 11:30 till 12:30 am

You know how hard it is to go back to sleep after yelling at some Red neck who is a Laker fan and is calling out all the so called Spur fans? I don't remember anyone at this site ever calling in? Let me guess you guys were all asleep?
Or just fair weather spur fans?

You are a caller into a radio show. They can turn you on or turn you off.

Bro I was more than just a caller. I was a prop/Puppet for the Gorilla. I had to go to all the Pop shows at U R Cooks and do my Mighty Mouse show,

Just Lose Baby!

You need to talk to radio callers around the Country.
Manny The Cabbie is a caller that has his own show now,

JT The Brick was once a caller. Did you know the top five smack talkers in Cleveland/Chicago/Miami/SF/NY/LA/and Dallas
they get Free tickets limo rides to the Games and VIP pass's to attend many Privet functions, I can't even get a free seat on an empty Bus to Houston for the Jim Rome Tour stop.

I really don't need free stuff, it's just sad that people in This town get treated like shit. Look how much Talent Kori has.
Any other city would have her on the radio/TV

Don't give me the lame BuddyHolly "why Don't you move Statement"

Running away from problems is not the answer, And sitting back and turning off the radio is a cop out.

I have big Plans and someday Mighty Mouse will be back in The House. And when that day comes?
Many will say 'He "is" the chosen one'

so let it be written

http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/mouse-saves.jpg

Blood Dong
08-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Well, I hope it works.................soon

tlongII
08-19-2004, 11:35 AM
You guys need "The Herd" with Colin Cowherd and "The Dan Patrick Show". I think national coverage is better than local on weekdays. Leave the weekends to local.

SAmikeyp
08-19-2004, 11:42 AM
so if someone does not call in to a Spurs post game show or a radio show all day every day, they are not a true Spurs fan? :flipoff

I'm not dogging you Mouse for calling in. You do what you want and you are really good at it. But question someone' loyalty just because they do not use the medium with the same intensity you do is way out of line. You are better than that.

Blood Dong
08-19-2004, 11:53 AM
I think national coverage is better than local on weekdays. Leave the weekends to local.

I'm tellin ya man, once they get the right people in, local is greatness!! I can't give the Ticket in Dallas enough props, 11 years later it's still all live and local, and noone gave them a chance

tlongII
08-19-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm tellin ya man, once they get the right people in, local is greatness!! I can't give the Ticket in Dallas enough props, 11 years later it's still all live and local, and noone gave them a chance

It depends on where you live. If you have a big enough market then perhaps you can do more local as you would have multiple major league teams. However, I still don't think you need more than a few hours of local per day. The national shows, like Rome, Dan Patrick, and The Herd get the best guests and they are generally more entertaining. That is the way to go. If a local personality is good, he won't be local too much longer.

JohnnyMarzetti
08-19-2004, 01:44 PM
If you want local sports check out SAsports.com

Blood Dong
08-19-2004, 04:22 PM
It depends on where you live. If you have a big enough market then perhaps you can do more local as you would have multiple major league teams.

I agree with you on that, but like I said it's more than just sports. It has turned in Maxim magazine on the air. A station for guys of sorts.

blackbucket
08-19-2004, 05:03 PM
THE DAN PATRICK SHOW SUCKS BALLS! PRAY YOU NEVER HAVE TO HEAR THIS BLOWHARD.

We get it here in El Paso and you think Jay Howard is arrogant! Dan is a smug, egotistical tool. He is why I listen to XM and CJ and (insert name here). At least those people are down to earth.

The ONLY good thing about that show is Rob Dibble. He is a breath of fresh air amidst that pile of dung of a show.

Blood Dong
08-19-2004, 05:09 PM
My God CJ sucks ass how can you listen to her, I can't take her seriously at all!!

Pooh
08-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Of all the ESPN Radio shows, Mike and Mike is the best one.
On Fox, they're all good 'cept Brick who is arrogant and needs to get not only his butt kicked but needs to be fitted for one of those Costco specials.

tlongII
08-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I like The Dan Patrick Show myself. I don't find him to be arrogant at all...in fact I find him to be rather self-deprecating. My favorite show is The Herd with Colin Cowherd though.

MouseSmack
08-20-2004, 12:30 AM
SAmikeyp
so if someone does not call in to a Spurs post game show or a radio show all day every day, they are not a true Spurs fan?

Not every day, But it would be nice if you could call once a year is that to much to ask?

Funny how spur fans jam the phone lines after Avery makes the winning Basket in 99.
and yet the phone lines where dead after the lakers swept the spurs.

what happend to the fans? yes you can be a fan and not call in.
My point was for the fans who go that extra mile and show support when a laker lover is calling you out?

Then it shows you got the Spurs back when it counts,
The topic might not have been directed to you,
It was my take and I stand by it.

But I feel in my heart if you can't grow enough Pubes to call a radio show?
Then you will always be the Diet cola of sports fans in my book.
sorry if I live by a higher standard than the average fan,

SequSpur
08-20-2004, 12:49 AM
Put it this way.

I do believe I was THE ONLY ONE that said Hedo cannot perform in the playoffs. I even called out Pop, RC, whomever.

Dude, the day hedo was traded for.

I also said Anthony Carter was terrible and would get waived before the allstar break. The day he was signed.

You know, I would rather discuss the reality of the situation with friends that aren't so Popsided than waste my time calling into a homer show lead by Don Harris.

I have nothing against Don Harris, but I just don't like his style, never have, never will... And the Pop show is a joke.

The Spurs don't make the front pages because they are way to conservative and boring. They continue to win more than they lose, which is great if you like 2nd place in your division and sent home packing before the fun starts.

I am not interested in anything else here in San Antoniio as far as Sports are concerned so I really have no need to call in.

Now if Don Harris, Pop or Walter stated that the Spurs will win a championship with Rasho as our center. I will definitely call them. I will also find out what they are smoking.

Bro, your calls are cool and all, but I think when you call now, people just say, aw, its that Mouse guy. He's silly.

I went to a local italian restaurant this morning to pick up some sandwiches and the cook started telling me jokes and crap... They weren't even funny. Then the owner says sorry for the delinquent, he says the same shit over and over so just ignore him. Maybe that's why they don't take your call anymore?

You need to change the act up a bit and keep it fresh.

SAmikeyp
08-20-2004, 02:16 AM
and yet the phone lines where dead after the lakers swept the spurs.

Hey bitch...I was there after that game and sat on fucking hold the whole time. Can't blame me if they won't let me on. I was there in the 70's, 80's, '90's and now. I was there when they were winning championships and when they were sinking into the lottery. I cheered just as hard for Ed Nealy and Dave Corzine as I do for Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. Not everyone can drop everything they are doing to sit and wait on hold for an hour. Some of us work or are in the car to or from work. Some of us have lives, families and priorities. As far as calling, I have called STSA, The AD show, GnR and Charlie Parker's old show, but if I don't meet the "mouse quota" I have no balls? Dude, you may have a higher standard as far as calling radio shows and no one does it better but because someone doesn't do what you do or the way you do it doesn't make them lesser, just makes them different. You want to call out my loyalty? Get your shit straight first.

Passionate enough for you?

SAmikeyp
08-20-2004, 02:25 AM
Oh and for the record Sequ....I posted that I thought Hedo was a waste of skin since day 1.

Blood Dong
08-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Sounds like someone needs a hug..........

SAmikeyp
08-20-2004, 11:13 AM
nahh....Sequ will be fine! :spin

Blood Dong
08-20-2004, 11:23 AM
ok but I was talking about me!!!!!!!!!!

utsagolfpb
08-20-2004, 11:50 AM
A few things...

Pete -- I picked up Maxim yesterday to see Stacie. She looks cute, as always. But damn, some of those other girls really left nothing to the imagination!

Thanks Kori, Stacie heads out to Long Beach for the Finalist photo shoot this weekend, should be fun.

Just wondering how Jason is gonna fit it in with his daytime gig.

As many of you know, Jason is a very good lawyer here in town, but I don't believe it will change anything.

I wish I could some how give you guys a slice of the Ticket in Dallas, it's absolute genius!!!

The Ticket in Dallas is a great station, notice the changes that our Ticket is making.....slowly but surely.

I would prefer a little "racy" on the air, however Don Harris and his "I'm embarassing and distancing myself" keeps that from happening. Maybe with this change that will take place

Having listened to the Thompsons for a while, it will be a good deal more interesting from a FCC standpoint.

If you wanna talk hoes, start a hoe network
Channel 77 - Home and Garden TV

i tuned into the sports talk show? on sat, about a few weeks ago, and that show still sucks !!!

Kind of like a guy that would fake an accident.....

now they had some dork on there with one of those thompson bros, with the thinking that it would re-vitalize the show, and imho, they made it absolutely 100 % worse !!!!

As you many of you know, I filled in for Jason the last two weeks while he was out of town. I take pride in sucking the joy right out of all of the people that listen to talk radio from 10-12 on Saturdays.

By the way, Everyone here knows that Taz is really Ernest Elizando, aka Longhorn E right..... How's that for a bolded take....... I'll let you guys start another thread just on that issue.

If you want local sports check out SAsports.com
I agree, Jay does a great job with the site.....Check it out.

Blood Dong
08-20-2004, 11:53 AM
WOW those aren't luke warm!!!!!!!!!!!
Serious HSO's!!! (Hot Sports Opnions)

utsagolfpb
08-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Still hammered from last night's poker game

08-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Hey Pete, is Stacie going to participate on the Thompson's new show, or is she committed to ESPN in Austin?

utsagolfpb
08-20-2004, 12:52 PM
?
She under contract through the end of the year for ESPN in Austin. But I believe there is some wiggle room.

She has been so busy for the last 9 months, and has a few different things offered right now, she is sorting them out.

SAmikeyp
08-20-2004, 04:55 PM
personally Peter, I thought you did a good job. I am a big fan of the Thompsons and even had the honor of doing a SpursZone roundtable with Jason and of course our own Kori. Jason and Rob are pretty much the same on and off air. Thanks to Kori, I got to hang with them at Sherlocks during the 2003 WCF after a game and have called the show. Great guys and they seem to have fun. I have always wanted to get into radio with the idea of having a show that sounds like two fans talking sports and having fun. The Thompsons, to me at least, have achieved that.

TacoBeer
08-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Walter & Vex starting now8)

Streaming Link

ktkr-am.clearchannel.com/...layer.html (http://ktkr-am.clearchannel.com/player/player.html)

Pooh
08-23-2004, 04:06 PM
It's really Don, Walter and Vex. That is how Harris billed it on Fridays show...and the topic wheel is still there..*sigh*

KoriEllis
08-23-2004, 04:38 PM
No Pooh. It's really Walter and Vex. Don will just be a contributor. He's not a regular host anymore.

tlongII
08-23-2004, 05:16 PM
If you get a chance listen to "The Herd" on ESPN Radio. I don't think San Antonio has it, but it's on KWNX 1260 and KZNX 1530 in Austin and KESN 103.3 in Dallas.

NORCAL5I0
03-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

David Oliver
03-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I miss Vex. I liked his passion. He knew his Spurs too.

S_A_Longhorn
03-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Well for all those that didn't like Vex, now we got Mike Taylor...errrrr..Tike Mailer. He knows his Spurs too, becuase you know, he's been watching...all year long.

But there is always time to talk Dallas Cowboys! Even if they get a new waterboy.

GoGatos
03-17-2008, 11:34 AM
:rolleyes

S_A_Longhorn
03-17-2008, 04:36 PM
:rolleyes

:sleep

Actually, that's what happens to me when I listen to STSA these days......holmes.