PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Mavs Blog: Mavericks Face Major Questions After Loss

NameOfTheGame
04-24-2010, 01:51 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/DallasMavericks/post/_/id/4668567/mavericks-face-major-questions-after-loss

SAN ANTONIO -- Dirk Nowitzki did everything in his power to give the Mavericks the series lead with a big hand from J.J. Barea and a little push from Jason Terry, but a total gag effort from the rest of the lineup left Dallas falling short, 94-90, to the San Antonio Spurs in Game 3.

Dallas has major questions facing it as Sunday's Game 4 becomes desperation time.

Nowitzki finished with 35 points, 23 in the second half, as he made shots from everywhere with Spurs draped all over him. But, when the rest of the starting lineup combines for 16 points and Barea is needed to play 32 minutes, it is more than amazing that the Mavs were even in spitting distance of the Spurs in the final minutes.

Had the Mavs somehow pulled out the victory, perhaps they could quickly put the pieces back together at Saturday's practice. But, with a loss, who knows how Caron Butler's second-half benching and Shawn Marion's virtual benching will affect their psyches and the general mindset of a Mavs team that just can't seem to outrun its mental shortcomings, no matter the coach, no matter the roster.

The Spurs, meanwhile, got steady play from their three stars. Tim Duncan finished with 25 points, Tony Parker had 23 and Manu Ginobili had a big second half, even with a busted nose, to finish with 15 points and seven assists. And George Hill stepped up with 17 points.

Here's how little help Nowitzki had. Jason Kidd, ineffective for a second consecutive game, had seven points and five assists and was ripped apart defensively. He is 2-of-13 from the field in the last two games. Butler had two points in the first half before being sent to the end of the bench. Marion had seven points in 16 minutes and sat on the bench for all but five minutes of the second half.

While the clamor for Roddy Beaubois grew louder (and he got his five minutes and sat back down), it was again Barea coming off the bench and injecting some life into this strange team. He finished with 14 points and four assists. Terry had 17 points, but again went ice cold in the fourth quarter. He hit a 3-pointer to end a 4-0 Spurs spurt to start the fourth, but then didn't hit a shot until there were just 33 second left.

raspsa
04-24-2010, 02:47 AM
If the Spurs had managed to hit some 3-pointers and if Barea hadn't had a strong offensive game, the Mavs would have been in even deeper trouble. The Spurs can still improve in their execution, though their defense has been pretty consistent. This is a far cry from the team we saw for much of the regular season.. the team has come together at just the right time.

Its a mental game for the Mavs entering game 4. Can Carlisle come up with something different to change things up? We can expect to see a lot more of the zone, but I'm pretty sure Pop will plan for this and we can expect the Spurs to make at least some 3-pointers. Or maybe the Mavs will try to get more physical to try and seize some sort of initiative in the series? Can't wait.

GSH
04-24-2010, 02:54 AM
The "major questions" the Mavs are facing are:

What did you catch that on?

A top-water lure... in the heat of the day?

Did anyone remember to put some sunblock on Dirk?

Hey, do all of these sandwiches have mayo?

Shouldn't Nashy be here by now?

ezau
04-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Pop is out-coaching Jim Carey bigtime

ezau
04-24-2010, 03:07 AM

:lmao:lmao

SenorSpur
04-24-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm sure the Caron Butler benching will raise some questions inside the locker room, if it hasn't already. I hope it creates enough tension that is causes the Mavs to implode from within.

Parker2112
04-24-2010, 09:03 AM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

MaNuMaNiAc
04-24-2010, 09:05 AM

:lol

EmptyMan
04-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Kidd gets free on the p'n'rs every single time but he does nothing but wait for the other guy to get back open and receive a pass.

Seventyniner
04-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Kidd gets free on the p'n'rs every single time but he does nothing but wait for the other guy to get back open and receive a pass.

Kidd will only take two types of shots: wide open 3s and wide open layups. He is a total non-factor offensively other than that.

PDXSpursFan
04-24-2010, 11:28 AM
pop is out-coaching jim carey bigtime

+1

dbestpro
04-24-2010, 01:04 PM
I want the Mavs to keep the same mentality as they did following game 2. Everything is fine. We are in a world unto ourselves. La, la, la, la,

NameOfTheGame
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM
EVERYONE'S peaking at the right time. The players, Pop, hell...even the ball boys and floor moppers seem a step quicker.

Still gonna be a tough close to the series and this thing is far from over. But if/when the Spurs make it out, I imagine they'll be a slightly worse but more resourceful version of the well-oiled machine we've seen in championship years past.

We have to have more urgency than the Mavs in Game 4. That's the only way we will win the game.

ceperez
04-24-2010, 03:16 PM
EVERYONE'S peaking at the right time. The players, Pop, hell...even the ball boys and floor moppers seem a step quicker.

Still gonna be a tough close to the series and this thing is far from over. But if/when the Spurs make it out, I imagine they'll be a slightly worse but more resourceful version of the well-oiled machine we've seen in championship years past.

We have to have more urgency than the Mavs in Game 4. That's the only way we will win the game.

Agree that the big three a peaking. I'm quite impressed with Duncan's play in the last 3 games. Parker is finally near 100%. Manu is in a groove.

What's scary is that Hill isn't 100% yet, McDyess is becoming quicker and more active and RJ is becoming more aggressive. This will be one difficult team to beat.

We'll win so long as we keep both Bogans and Mason on the bench.

Finally, I think this series is nearly over. The last game wouldn't have been close if we had hit some 3's.

The Mav's are a team with a lot of talent and offensive talent. Unfortunately, they're unit isn't as cohesive as the Spurs.

The 3 players that seem to be doing well are Dirk, Terry and that pesky Barrea. But as you've seen the last game, Manu on Barrea handcuffs on him. Terry has trouble with Hill on him. Both Barrea and Terry are liabilities in defense.

Kidd's 3point confidence is shot. He's never been a good shooter, so I don't see how he can recover.

Butler is a good one-and-one player and know's how to take the hit. However, I don't think he takes the most optimal shot.

Marion, well his 3 point shot is non-existent and doesn't seem to play well in a half court offense.

Haywood and Dampier seem to be a step too slow to stop any Spurs drive.

That rookie Beaubois can be very dangerous, but it may be too big a risk to play him at this point.

It's likely that this series is over 4-1 or 4-2. Spurs are just too efficient in a half court offense that is typical for playoff games. The fact that the Spurs won without missing all their 3 point attempts says too me that there's no way the Mav's can win now.