PDA

View Full Version : Here's a bizarre thought...

roycrikside
04-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Suppose, hypothetically speaking, the Spurs win Game 4. Any chance in hell Pop considers sitting Tim, Manu and Tony for Game 5 at Dallas?

I know the media would go crazy and Stern wouldn't be pleased, but wouldn't it be the best thing for the team? After all, our chances of winning a road game when the Mavs are desperate I think would be pretty remote. Maybe 25% tops.

And lately Pop has really shortened the bench to the point that Tim is playing crazy minutes. He played the entire second half and Manu played the last 16 minutes. I know stars routinely play more minutes during the playoffs, but even with no back-to-backs, I think at this pace our guys will wear down. I'm pretty sure Tim was exhausted in the 4th and so was Manu down the stretch (though his problem could've been not being able to breathe).

So, like I said, any chance Pop would consider this? Or will he play them and just call off the dogs the second they go down 10 points in the 2nd quarter, as a way of "cheating" fatigue?

Dr Cox
04-24-2010, 03:48 AM
don't see it man, because if they find a way to win game five them they have a long rest before the secondround ...but who knows with pop

poop
04-24-2010, 03:48 AM
no, that would be colossally stupid

DespЏrado
04-24-2010, 03:49 AM
Better to finish early and hope the other other bracket takes a few more games which is possible.

Ever read Casey at bat. You don't mess around when it counts, and in the playoffs everything counts. Besides that would be just way too much motivation for the Mavs.

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2010, 03:54 AM
better to finish them off on there court....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-24-2010, 03:56 AM
Haven't you read the banner, roy? This is the REAL SEASON. No sitting the Big 3 from here on in. Concede one game and you could swing the entire series. It's killer time now, no concessions.

Interrohater
04-24-2010, 04:01 AM
This would be a silly thing to do. If we won game 4, there are too many incentives to win game 5 and not enough incentives to lose it.

To lose: an extra day and a half of rest.
To win: possibly an extra three days or more of rest, one less full game to play, more time for preparation and scheming on our coach's part, more time to heal from first round wounds, sending a subtle message to the rest of the conference, and we would send the Mavs home quickly like they did to us last year.

It's not worth it. Plus, I highly doubt the players would go for it, regardless of what Pop would say.

50 cent
04-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Hell no.....we are in "Balls to the wall mode" now. Just win. There is very little margin for error even if up 3-1 and you certainly can't give a game away.

timvp
04-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Not the worst idea of all-time but not even Pop would do it.

alchemist
04-24-2010, 04:12 AM
There's nothing like insulting the best road team in the league. Just saying. :wakeup

timvpimp
04-24-2010, 04:15 AM
Pop only sits his bests when he reckons the Spurs have little chance to win (like a game at Denver last season). We must play our hardest in every single game to come. Conceding game 5 will probably revive their hope for winning the series because a 2-3 deficit doesn't seem too insurmountable. We just need to keep our pressure on these soppy asses, then the series will be well done in game 5, or game 6 at longest. It'd be nice to the Spurs a respite during such a bloody battle but I don't think we should risk the series to do this, TBH.

xellos88330
04-24-2010, 05:28 AM
Absolutely not. This is a highly competitive series and it would be a mistake of monumental proportion to deliberately throw the game without guaranteed victory in future games.

timtonymanu
04-24-2010, 06:27 AM
No. Every game is a game 7 situation.

that strategy would bite the spurs in the ass because it will give dallas momentum and they could win game 6.

MateoNeygro
04-24-2010, 06:51 AM
fuck to the no.

Seventyniner
04-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Let's play this out. Spurs win game 4, Pop sits the big 3 for game 5, but leaves them on the active roster (Gee/Jerrells in the playoffs? lol). Spurs are down 50-42 at the half because the Mavs can't seem to beat our scrubs by much.

Manu then proceeds to lock Pop in a closet and acts as player-coach for the second half. Stunned, the Mavericks seize up and choke the game away, while Mark Cuban starts crying uncontrollably...

I like where this is going!

ShoogarBear
04-24-2010, 09:48 AM
If the Spurs go up 3-1, there are hints that the Mavs would implode. Shawn Marion for one is already on his way. Damp is another good bet.

When you have the playoff experience of the Big Three, you go for the kill.

ohmwrecker
04-24-2010, 09:53 AM
This is what pisses me off about this place. I post a thread that is well-thought out and ripe for debate and no one responds. Yet, this guy posts the dumbest idea I have ever heard and freakin' timvp is in here giving a serious response to this nonsense. Idiots.

gameFACE
04-24-2010, 09:54 AM
The team has created too much momentum. You do not want to break that. Go for the throat on Sunday!

Spursfan092120
04-24-2010, 10:04 AM
You never...EVER sit players in a playoff game...one win could change momentum...

Spursfan092120
04-24-2010, 10:06 AM
This is what pisses me off about this place. I post a thread that is well-thought out and ripe for debate and no one responds. Yet, this guy posts the dumbest idea I have ever heard and freakin' timvp is in here giving a serious response to this nonsense. Idiots.
:cry

ohmwrecker
04-24-2010, 10:20 AM
:cry

Yep. I'm really upset about it. I cry myself to sleep every night.

Avitus1
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Dont see it happening he wants to close this series out ASAP.

GSH
04-24-2010, 11:44 AM
The only way a team can come back from 3-1 is by winning Game 5. No freaking way Pop (or any other coach) takes his foot off the gas in the playoffs. You'll see the best players, for the most minutes they can stand. The next game waits till the current one is finished.

twincam
04-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Suppose, hypothetically speaking, the Spurs win Game 4. Any chance in hell Pop considers sitting Tim, Manu and Tony for Game 5 at Dallas?

I know the media would go crazy and Stern wouldn't be pleased, but wouldn't it be the best thing for the team? After all, our chances of winning a road game when the Mavs are desperate I think would be pretty remote. Maybe 25% tops.

And lately Pop has really shortened the bench to the point that Tim is playing crazy minutes. He played the entire second half and Manu played the last 16 minutes. I know stars routinely play more minutes during the playoffs, but even with no back-to-backs, I think at this pace our guys will wear down. I'm pretty sure Tim was exhausted in the 4th and so was Manu down the stretch (though his problem could've been not being able to breathe).

So, like I said, any chance Pop would consider this? Or will he play them and just call off the dogs the second they go down 10 points in the 2nd quarter, as a way of "cheating" fatigue?

no

Spursmania
04-24-2010, 11:46 AM
No. Pop doesn't throw away playoff games.

Spurs7794
04-24-2010, 12:16 PM
How someone had the guts to post this thread in a public forum is beyond me.

WildcardManu
04-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Smell blood and might as well go for the kill.

NFGIII
04-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Up by 20 with 3 minutes left in the 4th Q - I'd say Pop would sit them.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Pop doesn't even like when guys put up three pointers in a blowout. Sitting players in a playoff game would be the ultimate disrespect to your opponent, not to mention the fans and the game.

Budkin
04-24-2010, 05:52 PM
You never sit your players in the playoffs unless it's garbage time.

bigfan
04-24-2010, 06:29 PM
You dont rest guys in the playoffs. Thats why they get the big bucks, it all comes down to the playoffs. Resting your guys would just piss off/disrespect the Mavs and maybe inspire them to play better. This series is a looonnngg way from being in the bag.

m33p0
04-24-2010, 06:34 PM
i don't want to sound cruel so i won't. if you're looking to rest the guys, then finish off the series as quickly as possible then rest while the other series is still going on.

m33p0
04-24-2010, 06:36 PM
... and you're right. it is a bizarre thought.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-24-2010, 06:39 PM
This is almost certainly the stupidest idea I've ever seen here.

And that's saying a lot.

SPURSCHAMP
04-24-2010, 08:18 PM
pop doesn't even like when guys put up three pointers in a blowout. Sitting players in a playoff game would be the ultimate disrespect to your opponent, not to mention the fans and the game.

+1

TD 21
04-24-2010, 08:33 PM

I've thought about this too, but I wouldn't do it. There's always the chance (though this Mavs team isn't as mentally fragile as the Suns) that they're just crushed after losing three straight, too many of them think it's a lost cause to kill themselves to win a game when the series is most likely over and/or their confidence is shot and they just flat out fold or go down meekly. I don't for a second expect this to happen, but like I said, there's always the chance. Because it's the playoffs, you have to see if that chance becomes reality. If it doesn't and as expected (if the Spurs win game four), the Mavs blow them out early in game five, then Pop can rest the top six anyway. Keep their minutes in the teens or low twenties, know that they took a shot at it, but didn't run them into the ground in a lost cause. That's the ideal scenario. Aside from winning game five, of course.

Let me throw this at you. Say the Spurs win game four, get blown out in game five while not playing the big three, fail to win game six and end up losing in game seven (or even if they end up winning it): Wouldn't everyone look back at game five and say, "why didn't we kick them when they were down and step on their throats"? People would have called it a missed opportunity, complained that you don't rest anyone in a playoff game, etc. There will already be a lot of pressure to win game six, but this would pile on even more.

sa_kid20
04-24-2010, 08:36 PM
suppose, hypothetically speaking, the spurs win game 4. Any chance in hell pop considers sitting tim, manu and tony for game 5 at dallas?

I know the media would go crazy and stern wouldn't be pleased, but wouldn't it be the best thing for the team? After all, our chances of winning a road game when the mavs are desperate i think would be pretty remote. Maybe 25% tops.

And lately pop has really shortened the bench to the point that tim is playing crazy minutes. He played the entire second half and manu played the last 16 minutes. I know stars routinely play more minutes during the playoffs, but even with no back-to-backs, i think at this pace our guys will wear down. I'm pretty sure tim was exhausted in the 4th and so was manu down the stretch (though his problem could've been not being able to breathe).

So, like i said, any chance pop would consider this? Or will he play them and just call off the dogs the second they go down 10 points in the 2nd quarter, as a way of "cheating" fatigue?

lol

rayray2k8
04-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Major thread fail and I am surprised that no face palm pics have been posted... I get your point, but I doubt the spurs will even consider this idea.

itzsoweezee
04-24-2010, 08:39 PM
hell no. this is the playoffs dude.

Strike
04-24-2010, 08:40 PM

http://thecount.com/wp-content/uploads/wtf-cat.jpg

Are you fucking high?

Strike
04-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Major thread fail and I am surprised that no face palm pics have been posted... I get your point, but I doubt the spurs will even consider this idea.

Got ya covered...

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/sirjamesthegood/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

SpurOutofTownFan
04-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Knowing Duncan and what they have done in the past if the Spurs go 3-1 to Dallas they will try to close them out over there. If they smell blood it's over. I'm pretty sure they will try closing them out as soon as available.

But they need to win game 4 tomorrow before any of this happens.

5ToolMan
04-24-2010, 09:13 PM
You don't let a snake up when you are standing on it's neck. You may pull the plug early if the wiggle out and get a big lead, but otherwise hit them hard and go for the kill.

smrattler
04-24-2010, 09:15 PM
25% chance to win in Dallas?

We won 1 of 2 playoff games there so far this postseason. And they were desperate to retain homecourt. That's 50% chance in my book.

Plus, looking at 3-1, a team that is showing cracks in their unity by questioning their coach already... might be ready to crack for good if we come out strong in game 5.

By my calculations, that's about 75-80% chance of winning game 5 in dallas if we are up 3-1.

You don't give away games in the playoffs. you dont even give away quarters. EVERY POSSESION COuntS in the playoffs.

Ok, all bullshit aside, just not realistic to even consider in reality.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Got ya covered...

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/sirjamesthegood/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

ST:TNG facepalm is by far my favourite facepalm. If Riker facepalms, well, okay, but if Picard gets in on it you know you've done something fundamentally idiotic. :lmao

m33p0
04-24-2010, 10:33 PM

where is thou thread, oh great ohmwrecker? we humble ourselves before your feet. :worthy:

EricB
04-24-2010, 10:37 PM
If the Spurs go up 3-1, there are hints that the Mavs would implode. Shawn Marion for one is already on his way. Damp is another good bet.

When you have the playoff experience of the Big Three, you go for the kill.

Yeah this team is teetering. If the spurs come out and slap them HARD in the mouth early, the mags could fold up shop.

superjames1992
04-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Awful idea.

It would destroy our momentum and would be one of the biggest blunders in NBA history if the Mavs went on to win the series.

And we already won game #2 in Dallas. Who's to say the Spurs cannot do it again?

UnWantedTheory
04-25-2010, 03:01 AM
Retardiculous,....

JustinJDW
04-25-2010, 06:01 AM
Concede a Playoff Game?........Are you fucking retarded?

ohmwrecker
04-25-2010, 11:16 AM
where is thou thread, oh great ohmwrecker? we humble ourselves before your feet. :worthy:

That's more like it!

Seriously, though. You miss the point entirely. The fact that I am responding to you on page 2 of a garbage thread pretty much sums it up.

gospursgojas
04-25-2010, 12:07 PM
No, plus that would be disrespectful to the Mavs in game 5. Not that I care, but Im sure pop does

m33p0
04-25-2010, 12:45 PM
That's more like it!

Seriously, though. You miss the point entirely. The fact that I am responding to you on page 2 of a garbage thread pretty much sums it up.

seriously, i'm looking for that thread. was it the mavs meltdown thread? just letting you know, it gave me a couple of happy hours pouring thru comments from mav fans (and suns fans too). :lol

besides, this is that kind of topic that is so easy to respond to cuz of the WTF factor.

Agloco
04-25-2010, 01:31 PM

:rolleyes

The thread title is the only thing correct with this post......

manu the best
04-25-2010, 01:40 PM

stupid

8FOR!3
04-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. We beat them tonight and we have a chance to end it in five. You never throw away a playoff game like that.