PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones gives Dez Bryant number 88

djohn2oo8
04-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Wow, a little premature, don't ya think? And why wasn't that number ever retired?

IRVING — The Dallas Cowboys have had somewhat of a mixed bag when it comes to wide receivers who have donned No. 88.
Hall of Famer Michael Irvin and 1970s great Drew Pearson wore it. But so did no-names such as Sonny Randle and Ron Sellers.

Then there was Antonio Bryant, who famously threw a sweaty practice jersey into the face of Bill Parcells.Cowboys owner Jerry Jones handed No. 88 to Dez Bryant on Friday expecting him to be more like Irvin and Pearson.

“I know putting on that No. 88 really means a lot to Jerry Jones, and I'm excited to wear that,” Bryant said. “I'm very excited he thinks I can be a great player.”Bryant is the first receiver ever picked in the first round by Jones. Dallas moved up three picks to select him 24th overall Thursday.

“Dez has the chance to make the same kind of impact that the people who have worn this jersey before,” Jones said. “One of the first things I said when we made the pick was, ‘Get number 88 out.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6973876.html

monosylab1k
04-24-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't think the Cowboys officially retire numbers. But some of them just don't get issued out anymore, like 8 or 22. For whatever reason 88 still gets used.

samikeyp
04-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Officially, the Cowboys don't retire numbers even those in the Ring of Honor. They just don't assign certain numbers anymore. You will never see another 22 or 12 or 8. I am a little surprised about this though...although given Michael Irvin's close relationship with JJ, he probably signed off on it.

Spursfan092120
04-24-2010, 09:46 AM
I don't think the Cowboys officially retire numbers. But some of them just don't get issued out anymore, like 8 or 22. For whatever reason 88 still gets used.
Yeah..I don't understand that either...Irvin was amazing...dude probably said it was ok though.

Spursfan092120
04-24-2010, 10:03 AM
pQx0eziqpa4
Seems real humble...yes sir, no sir...also love the confidence..when asked about his strengths and weaknesses, he said his biggest strength is his passion for the game, and his biggest weakness? "Well....I don't know." Love it.

Mr. Peabody
04-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Wow, a little premature, don't ya think? And why wasn't that number ever retired?

Dez isn't even the first receiver to have the number since Irvin. Antonio Bryant wore the number when he was with the Cowboys.

The 'Boys don't retire numbers. They've had so many storied players in their history that there wouldn't be any numbers left for guys on the current team.

Mr. Peabody
04-24-2010, 12:04 PM
The thing I thought was funny was that Jones didn't ask Bryant if he wanted to wear 88. He basically said during the press conference that as owner he gets to pick the number.

badfish22
04-24-2010, 01:43 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0423/dal_u_bryant_576.jpg

monosylab1k
04-24-2010, 11:55 PM
The thing I thought was funny was that Jones didn't ask Bryant if he wanted to wear 88. He basically said during the press conference that as owner he gets to pick the number.

Antonio Bryant wore the number when he was with the Cowboys.

There's probably a shitload of old Antonio Bryant jerseys in a warehouse somewhere that can now be sold. Jerry is a damn good businessman.

Spursfan092120
04-25-2010, 12:12 AM
http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/images/t_25901_06.jpg

Horry For 3!
04-25-2010, 02:04 AM
There's probably a shitload of old Antonio Bryant jerseys in a warehouse somewhere that can now be sold. Jerry is a damn good businessman.

Yup, if you have an old 88 Bryant jersey, it is good to go.

Whisky Dog
04-25-2010, 11:05 AM
In football you don't really retire numbers because of the restriction the league puts on what numbers can be used with each position. Especially with receivers where there are a shit load of them on the team along with TEs - just not enough 11's and 80's available to be retiring every HOF receivers number.

I mean, just look at 54. Should have been retired twice if they could - once for Chuck Howley and once for Randy White. Now Barbie Carpenter wears it :depressed

scott
04-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Jason Bell (shitty CB who eventually went on to be a shitty CB for Houston) wore #22 after Emmitt retired.

Edit: sorry, actually he wore 33, Dorsett's #

DBryant88
04-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Yup, if you have an old 88 Bryant jersey, it is good to go.

:tu:chestbump