PDA

View Full Version : Dampier Pissed About Game 3 Officiating

VBM
04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5132345

SAN ANTONIO -- Dallas Mavericks center Erick Dampier said late Friday he was miffed at the overall officiating in the 94-90 Game 2 loss to the San Antonio Spurs.

Dampier didn't mince words in criticizing a crew that included one of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's least-favorite referees, Danny Crawford.

By Cuban's count, the Mavs have lost 16 of 17 playoff games with Crawford on the floor.

"When we play defense we're under a magnifying glass, but when we're on offense, there's no magnifying glasses," Dampier said. "You've got to call it both ways. Dirk Nowitzki drives, he doesn't get fouled. They drive on the other end and they get the little ticky-tack fouls. So keep it consistent, that's all. Don't be one way or the other."

On Thursday, NBA commissioner David Stern warned primarily coaches -- but players, too -- about publicly criticizing officials. Stern said he's grown tired of meaningless fines and is prepared to levy suspensions. Dampier said he was unaware of Stern's edict.

The Mavericks, who trail 2-1 in the first-round playoff series, had a free-throw edge in their Game 1 win, 34-14. Ssince then, they have been whistled for 43 fouls to the Spurs' 31.

Dampier played 27 minutes Friday and managed to accrue more fouls (five) than points and rebounds combined (four). He questioned how Spurs forward Tim Duncan can play more than 43 minutes and get whistled for just two fouls.

"It's on us, too," Dampier said. "We've got to take the ball to the basket, make contact, draw the foul and go to the free-throw line."

The Spurs were decidedly the more aggressive team in Games 2 and 3. However, Dampier took particular issue Friday with a charge call whistled on Nowitzki by referee Dick Bavetta.

With the score tied at 73 with 9:05 left to go, Nowitzki drove the right baseline and made a strong move to the rim as Spurs forward Matt Bonner positioned himself to take the charge.

"I'm not even going to comment on that foul. What did you think, it was a foul or what?" Dampier said, believing the call should have been a block on Bonner. "All of us thought that. It's funny, though, they get the same call on the other end, it's ridiculous, one of the refs called the foul from halfcourt. It's almost like they can't even see it. But when he [Nowitzki] drives, 'Oh, I saw he was outside the circle, it was a charge.' How can you see that? You can't even see that far.

"Hey, we ain't going to make any excuses. We're going to be ready to play the next game, that's all that matters to us. The next one, biggest game of the year."

:lmao

SpursTillTheEnd
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Did the mavs complain about the first game,when dirk got every call? We got the mavs shook there rattled.

wut
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
you know it's funny that these type of sore losers don't take a stand when they benefit from the same bias in their favor.

When it comes down to it, it wasn't like the calls were completely phantom. It's one thing if you're getting the favor of calls when you're being aggressive and the other team isn't....and it's a whole 'nother when you're getting calls that flat out don't exist.

Officiating in the NBA is very inconsistent...it's nothing new; the Spurs got shafted for calls in game1, they didn't bitch about it in the papers the day after.

Sec24Row7
04-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Well... Damp just lost an Escalade worth of cash for that little vent... hope he feels better.

Avitus1
04-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Ericka needs to change his tampon.

K-State Spur
04-24-2010, 11:23 AM
especially funny coming from him. Damp's whole career has required the officials to consistently look the other way in order to keep from fouling out in the first 10 minutes.

VBM
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Funny thing is the FT count was 26 to 15 in favor of the Spurs.

Now subtract the 7 FTs we got at the end of the game due to intentional fouls, and it's 19-15 in favor of the Spurs.

4 less FTs on the road and dude's complaining...lol.

Spursmania
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Shut up, bitch.:lol

SpursRulez4eVeR
04-24-2010, 11:30 AM
7WHptG35EWU

GSH
04-24-2010, 11:30 AM
I only saw part of his comments on another thread. After Stern's warning, that may very well get him a 1-game suspension. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Of all the people who should not be complaining, Dampier is at the top of the list. He got 5 fouls, and the refs were very generous in not fouling him out. One play I remember well - he came over Ginobili's back going for a rebound, and just clubbed the hell out of the back of Manu's head with his forearm. The ball went out of bounds, and the ref gave possession to the Mavs. Manu was touching the back of his head like he expected to see blood. Dampier should have been watching the end of that game from the bench.

The refs let both teams play physical playoff basketball, and the no-calls were consistent on both ends, which is about all you can ask. Unless you're a Mavs fan... then you can ask for Dampier to shut the hell up. Stern is gonna kick his ass for that tirade.

ElNono
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
I lol'ed when Bavetta made that fucked up call...

Sec24Row7
04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Marion should be fined too for his twitter comments, but this morning I woke up and he had deleted all of them...

He actually wrote that they were playing 8 on 5 and that ll NBA officials should be fired for fixing games.

Cane
04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Aw poor Erica Dampdiapers...he must be so sad after practicing his free throw shot since he thought the Spurs would be hacking at him..

Should've spent that time learning how to defend Duncan instead although his shitty IQ wouldn't be able to handle it anyway. CRY SOME MORE :)

VBM
04-24-2010, 11:39 AM
CRY SOME MORE :)

kTozR5VOURI

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2010, 11:51 AM
On Thursday, NBA commissioner David Stern warned primarily coaches -- but players, too -- about publicly criticizing officials. Stern said he's grown tired of meaningless fines and is prepared to levy suspensions. Dampier said he was unaware of Stern's edict.

Time to set an example, Stern. One game suspension should prove your point.

It's funny seeing a thug who can only play defense when the refs look the other way while he beats on on opposing players whining about officiating.

sananspursfan21
04-24-2010, 11:52 AM
i really wouldn't care if the refs did do us a favor. i just want the spurs to win this series, fair or unfair.

bigdog
04-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Stern said he's going to stop fining and he's going to suspend players and coaches who complain about the refs. Give him a game off, Stern. What a dumbass.

phyzik
04-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Time to see if Stern is a man of his word.

Stamm32089
04-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Meh. Sure you guys got some questionable calls, but the game was in San Antonio. Nothing out of the ordinary.

DesignatedT
04-24-2010, 12:14 PM
:lmao here it comes...

Manudona
04-24-2010, 12:17 PM

Which fucked up call? If you are talking about Bonner's charge, he was indeed outside the restricted area, at least that is what I saw and what the commentators said in the replay.

Bartleby
04-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't really care if Damp gets suspended as he has been a non-factor this series. That said, Stern pretty much has to do something beyond a fine or his threat about cracking down will seem pretty toothless.

Ditty
04-24-2010, 12:27 PM
if dampier or marion gets suspended for game 4 spurs will win that one easily those are the only 2 guys that "maybe" slow down ginbobili and duncan

Obstructed_View
04-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Marion should be fined too for his twitter comments, but this morning I woke up and he had deleted all of them...

He actually wrote that they were playing 8 on 5 and that ll NBA officials should be fired for fixing games.

Too bad Tweleted doesn't work anymore. If he actually posted that he'll probably get a suspension as well.

VBM
04-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Unless ESPN or one of the networks starts bumping the Marion twitter comments (I've seen no mention of them), Marion' safe. Damp's comments are already ESPN material, so he might be screwed.

weebo
04-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Maybe if he didn't suck so bad at playing basketball he wouldn't get whistled for fouling. I don't just a thinking here.

ElNono
04-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Which fucked up call? If you are talking about Bonner's charge, he was indeed outside the restricted area, at least that is what I saw and what the commentators said in the replay.

Being outside of the restricted area doesn't automatically make it a charge. You have to be set, which Bonner was not. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure he had a foot on the line, although it's moot, since he was moving.

Don't get me wrong, refs fuck up all the time with calls like that. I was just laughing because Bavetta made this over-exaggerated motion calling it, and the reaction from the entire Mavs team was priceless.

lurker
04-24-2010, 12:53 PM
i really wouldn't care if the refs did do us a favor. i just want the spurs to win this series, fair or unfair.
I give you props for admitting that.

There were some fouls that should have been called on the Spurs, but Carlisle would have still been a retard regardless so chances are Mavs would have still lost. 3 guard lineups are meant for the All-Star game, not the playoffs.

nbaman99
04-24-2010, 12:57 PM
So manu get his nose broke and also got call for the foul, so didn't it went Dirk's way?

badfish22
04-24-2010, 01:05 PM
lmao at all the Spur fans saying "cry more"

Look at your fellow fans reaction to game one if you want to see more tears.

Cry Havoc
04-24-2010, 01:08 PM
It's amazing that we only held a 4 FT advantage before the intentional fouls began when we had -- what, a 55-30 lead on points in the paint?

The Mavs literally jacked stupid jumpshots all game that miraculously kept going in, and they want foul calls too?

How about Manu fouling Dirk with his nose? How about magically Damp not fouling out even though he didn't change his game to be less physical to reflect how they were making calls?

Tim Duncan picking up "only" 2 fouls in 40+ minutes of action isn't an anomaly. It's how one of the greatest defenders in history and one of the smartest players ever to walk on an NBA court plays defense.

If your players are crying this much about a 4 FT disparity, I'd hate to see what would happen if they got the treatment the Spurs got in game one, which was in the neighborhood of 15 free throws handed to the Mavs.

And there's a huge difference between fans and players complaining about officials.

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2010, 01:09 PM

no, some guy tweeted him that "it was 8-5" all Marion said was "I hear you"

polandprzem
04-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Being outside of the restricted area doesn't automatically make it a charge. You have to be set, which Bonner was not. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure he had a foot on the line, although it's moot, since he was moving.

Don't get me wrong, refs fuck up all the time with calls like that. I was just laughing because Bavetta made this over-exaggerated motion calling it, and the reaction from the entire Mavs team was priceless.

Umm I saw Dirks knee in Bonners stomach.
But i don't know I had bad quality

Many PackYao
04-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Eric Damqueer :downspin:

z0sa
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Being outside of the restricted area doesn't automatically make it a charge. You have to be set, which Bonner was not.

Bonner's right foot slid more only to brace himself for the impact. He got there much earlier than Dirk and Dirk charged right through him - even if he was in the restricted area they can call charges too.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure he had a foot on the line, although it's moot, since he was moving.

No, he was a good 6 inches past the charge circle, and his actually position was set but he moved his right foot at the end to brace for the chest to chest impact.

Don't get me wrong, refs fuck up all the time with calls like that.

True, but they called it 100% right this time around.

SpursRulez4eVeR
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM

don't get off topic now, this is clearly about the players not the fans.

jestersmash
04-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Look, it's pretty obvious. Mavs got the better end of the stick Game 1, hands down. And please stop bringing up "hack a damp" as a way to suggest that the entire free throw disparity can be accounted for just from that.

Game 2 was standard blowout, the better team that day certainly won (Spurs).

Game 3, I'm not gonna lie - refs favored the spurs for this game, and when the game was as close as it was, this sort of thing matters.

As far as ref favoritism goes, it's 1-1 mavs-spurs at the moment, thanks in large part due to dan crawford.

But now, for game 4, we've got the "other" crawford coming in, and the Mavericks will have their chance for being helped by the refs. Joe crawford is, and always has been, bad news for the spurs.

So in truth, I don't think spurs or mavs fans are in any position to bitch and moan about officiating, it's even so far with all indication that dallas will be getting the next referee boost in game 4.

polandprzem
04-24-2010, 01:19 PM
dallas does not matchup well against dan crawford because he let players play phisical

EricB
04-24-2010, 01:22 PM
I hear you is a confirmation of that belief. Same thing...

EricB
04-24-2010, 01:26 PM
That being said I'd rather they force Marion to play. He's pretty much the spurs 7th man.

badfish22
04-24-2010, 01:31 PM
If your players are crying this much about a 4 FT disparity, I'd hate to see what would happen if they got the treatment the Spurs got in game one, which was in the neighborhood of 15 free throws handed to the Mavs.

FT disparity doesn't tell the whole story. For one, the Mavs were called for 9 more fouls than the Spurs.

P.S.- I don't think the Refs lost this game for us. That was Prick Carlisle.

Bender
04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
even Sean (or Bill? - I keep the volume really low) said Nowitzki had a legit complaint on that one

exstatic
04-24-2010, 01:35 PM

Mav fan would be swinging from the shower rod if they ever got a -20 FTA game.

Mavs still +7 on FTAs for the series. THAT'S how bad game 1 was.

lurker
04-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Some of you have a serious obsession with free throw disparities. A team not shooting the most free throws in a game doesn't automatically mean they got screwed over by the refs. :lol

badfish22
04-24-2010, 01:40 PM
I just don't think Dan Crawford should ever ref a playoff game with the Mavs. Every time he does there is questionable officiating against the Mavs. We are 1-17 with him reffing.

exstatic
04-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Some of you have a serious obsession with free throw disparities. A team not shooting the most free throws in a game doesn't automatically mean they got screwed over by the refs. :lol

TWENTY? In a fucking 6 point game? For a team that lives and dies by the jumper? You're fucking joking, right?

jestersmash
04-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I just don't think Dan Crawford should ever ref a playoff game with the Mavs. Every time he does there is questionable officiating against the Mavs. We are 1-17 with him reffing.

Yeah but it will be balanced by the fact that Joey crawford is officiating game 4.

jestersmash
04-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Obviously that's not to say the Mavs definitely win game 4.

Biased officiating only wins teams games when both teams are playing at a very close level. If Spurs step it up and curb stomp the mavericks game 4, then no amount of bias will help you guys, obviously.

VBM
04-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah but it will be balanced by the fact that Joey crawford is officiating game 4.

Joey flying to SA overnight? People keep talking like it's a given...he's in fine form in Charlotte right now, so he might be too tired to ref tomorrow.

jestersmash
04-24-2010, 01:43 PM
And finally, I agree that FT disparity is an awful way to determine ref bias. You have to...go through the game call by call and determine which ones could "go either way" and went one way, or which calls were clearly wrong (and in who's favor)

jestersmash
04-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Joey flying to SA overnight? People keep talking like it's a given...he's in fine form in Charlotte right now, so he might be too tired to ref tomorrow.

oh that's weird, i thought i saw it on espn.com somewhere. maybe i was just seeing things then.

lurker
04-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous that refs like Dan and Joey are still allowed to officiate in games where they've shown an obvious dislike for one of the teams involved. Stern is living in his "best officials in all of sports" bubble and won't do the right thing by keeping refs who let their personal feelings about a team influence them away because that would be admitting there is a problem. He'd rather just blame the players and coaches for brainwashing us into not seeing how great we've got it. :lol

Horse
04-24-2010, 02:16 PM
This is hilarious, it's like if Mason was bitching after a game, I mean without those 7 intentional FT's it's just about even in san antonio it's no secret this is a jump-shooting team cause their a bunch of pussies look dick nitwitski=pussy gayson terry=pussy Gay kidd=pussy afraid to drive or shot now and on and on.

Horse
04-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Go cheer for dallas:ihit

Mr.Robinson
04-24-2010, 02:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5132345

:lmao

He should have been called for a flagrant on Tim when he pushed him in his lower back. He didn't make a play for the ball. That kind of foul can fuck up a player's back.

elbamba
04-24-2010, 02:31 PM

I think it was a call that could go either way. I thought that the Jefferson charge on Kidd was BS in the first half as well as the technical against Hill. Calls have to be made and when its a toss up, someone is going to be mad. The Spurs have lost plenty of calls.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2010, 02:33 PM

It could have gone either way, which is why there's not a lot of sense in arguing those kinds of calls. I'd prefer they just make it a block 90 percent of the time to encourage people to go for the shot block instead. That said, there are a dozen cases in every loss where the Mavericks and their fanbase seem to think they're owed a call and it suddenly becomes the reason they lost. I guess they'd go 98-0 right to a championship every year if it weren't for those damned officials.

elbamba
04-24-2010, 02:34 PM
"When we play defense we're under a magnifying glass, but when we're on offense, there's no magnifying glasses," Dampier said. "You've got to call it both ways. Dirk Nowitzki drives, he doesn't get fouled. They drive on the other end and they get the little ticky-tack fouls. So keep it consistent, that's all. Don't be one way or the other."

"Hey, we ain't going to make any excuses. We're going to be ready to play the next game, that's all that matters to us. The next one, biggest game of the year."

Wait a second...you ain't making excuses? It sounds to me like that is exactly what you are doing.

SpursRulez4eVeR
04-24-2010, 02:35 PM
He should have been called for a flagrant on Tim when he pushed him in his lower back. He didn't make a play for the ball. That kind of foul can fuck up a player's back.

talk about intentional push in the back, watch terry and manu

http://i39.tinypic.com/vertjc.gif

elbamba
04-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Look, it's pretty obvious. Mavs got the better end of the stick Game 1, hands down. And please stop bringing up "hack a damp" as a way to suggest that the entire free throw disparity can be accounted for just from that.

Game 2 was standard blowout, the better team that day certainly won (Spurs).

Game 3, I'm not gonna lie - refs favored the spurs for this game, and when the game was as close as it was, this sort of thing matters.

As far as ref favoritism goes, it's 1-1 mavs-spurs at the moment, thanks in large part due to dan crawford.

But now, for game 4, we've got the "other" crawford coming in, and the Mavericks will have their chance for being helped by the refs. Joe crawford is, and always has been, bad news for the spurs.

So in truth, I don't think spurs or mavs fans are in any position to bitch and moan about officiating, it's even so far with all indication that dallas will be getting the next referee boost in game 4.

I take issue with your theory. Refs favoring a team makes a differnece when you lose by 6 points and take 20 less ft. Maybe 14 if you want to exclude the intentional fouls.

When its a close game and you shoot 4 more free throws, not including intentional ones, the impact isn't felt as much. The Mavs have shot poorly in every game. Even in game one they did not shoot well. Mavs have been destroyed by like 40 points in the paint. Where do most fouls occur? In the paint. The spurs have been more aggressive, they have played better defense (for 24 sec violations in one game is unheard of), and have shot the ball better. That is why they are up by 2-1. Had the Spurs not had so many stupid turnovers in game one, the ft advantage would not have mattered and they would have one that game. Cut down 5 turnovers in that game and the Spurs win, I have no doubt of that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Y'all are retards. There are two reasons you're now sitting at 1-17 in Dan Crawford officated games.

First (and let's be honest, the real reason) is that Dan lets teams play physical. Mavs rely so much on FT shooting so when you've got a guy letting them play, that negates a rather large advantage the Mavs enjoy most of the time.

Second, your dumbass owner started making a big deal out of this stat when the Mavs were like 0-5 in games reffed by Crawford. Since then, it's become a self-perpetuating legend, based largely on the fact that the Mavs as an organization are now conditioned to not even expect to have a chance to win when he calls a game for them.

SpursDynasty
04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Dampier shouldn't be pissed. The Mavs are the underdogs in the series.

Cry Havoc
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I take issue with your theory. Refs favoring a team makes a differnece when you lose by 6 points and take 20 less ft. Maybe 14 if you want to exclude the intentional fouls.

When its a close game and you shoot 4 more free throws, not including intentional ones, the impact isn't felt as much. The Mavs have shot poorly in every game. Even in game one they did not shoot well. Mavs have been destroyed by like 40 points in the paint. Where do most fouls occur? In the paint. The spurs have been more aggressive, they have played better defense (for 24 sec violations in one game is unheard of), and have shot the ball better. That is why they are up by 2-1. Had the Spurs not had so many stupid turnovers in game one, the ft advantage would not have mattered and they would have one that game. Cut down 5 turnovers in that game and the Spurs win, I have no doubt of that.

Good post.

Anyone have the numbers on the "points in the paint" disparity between the two teams? If anything, the Spurs should have shot twice as many free throws as the Mavs, and yet the FTA are almost dead even.

TampaDude
04-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Note to Dampier: Enjoy your game off. It's coming. :lol

Das Texan
04-24-2010, 02:53 PM
I hope Stern is a man of his word for a change. Didnt think it would take a day to put a test to his latest edict.

Whisky Dog
04-24-2010, 02:55 PM
That being said I'd rather they force Marion to play. He's pretty much the spurs 7th man.

Exactly. I want Marion playing. Owning his ass just seems to fire the Spurs up.

Interesting to see if Stern steps up to back his threat. I'm really interested to see how he handles that one.

Whisky Dog
04-24-2010, 02:57 PM
:lmao Shawn "The Limo Player" Marion

YoMamaIsCallin
04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Show me a single play that an unbiased observer would say was definitely a bad call.

The charge call Dampier's complaining about was declared "good call" by Hubie, who's only been coaching in the league for 87 years and doesn't have a dog in this fight. Also on replay Bonner is clearly outside the line.

There are a lot of charging calls in the league this year. Everyone should know that by now. They are not letting the offense just run over the defense this year.

Hubie also said there should have been an offensive foul called on Parker vs. Barea late in the game, but on replay, that turned out to be an attempt to defraud the refs by Barea.

What else? There were a lot of bumps and bangs that weren't called both ways. That's just the way the game was being called.

My other comment is as follows. THIS IS GOOD NEWS FOR THE SPURS. If the Mavs are obsessed with the refs, they aren't playing like winners. If the coaches and management buy into this, they are essentially giving the team an excuse to not give everything that's needed to win.

50 cent
04-24-2010, 03:44 PM
second, your dumbass owner started making a big deal out of this stat when the mavs were like 0-5 in games reffed by crawford. Since then, it's become a self-perpetuating legend, based largely on the fact that the mavs as an organization are now conditioned to not even expect to have a chance to win when he calls a game for them.

+1

crc21209
04-24-2010, 03:53 PM

:cry:cry:cry

Walton Buys Off Me
04-24-2010, 03:54 PM
If Stern wants to be taken serious, he'll suspend Dampier for game 4.

I'm not sure who the biggest whiners have been over the last 5-6 years; the Mavs, Lakers, Suns or Nuggets?

We should do a poll.

The Mavs have always reflected their owner's pouty attitude, no surpise there. Cuban encourages the victim identity in every interview he gives. Perennial losers always come armed with an excuse.

Back when D'Antoni and the Suns were Pop's bitches year after year, they loved to open the whine..

George Karl complained about Ginobili throughout an entire series once.

And Phil Jackson wrote the book on criticizing referees. You can tell Phil's confidence is at an all time low this year because he started selling it before the first game of the playoffs.

My vote would go to Dallas though. For some reason, they have this odd sense of entitlement even though they've never accomplished a damn thing.

I never understood that.

badfish22
04-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Y'all are retards. There are two reasons you're now sitting at 1-17 in Dan Crawford officated games.

First (and let's be honest, the real reason) is that Dan lets teams play physical. Mavs rely so much on FT shooting so when you've got a guy letting them play, that negates a rather large advantage the Mavs enjoy most of the time.

Second, your dumbass owner started making a big deal out of this stat when the Mavs were like 0-5 in games reffed by Crawford. Since then, it's become a self-perpetuating legend, based largely on the fact that the Mavs as an organization are now conditioned to not even expect to have a chance to win when he calls a game for them.

:blah
thats not it at all. But anyone can type standard bullshit down.

badfish22
04-24-2010, 03:56 PM
:cry:cry:cry

Just stating facts. Nothing compared to you after game one :lmao

I already said its not the refs fault we lost.

crc21209
04-24-2010, 03:56 PM
You would figure that now that Stern has issued the warning to players/coaches to shut up about the officials or risk getting suspended they would, and instead....we got players doing it even more now. Leave it to a couple of dumbass Mavericks to do it..:lol

Tp9gospursgo
04-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Let's hope he get suspended. Then there is absolutely no one that can guard Tim. Not that anyone on the Mavs could guard him anyway....especially on Tims Birthday..

spursfan1000
04-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Well fuck I don't remember Spurs complaining when Mavs where getting every single call in game 1, Spurs are smart knowing talking bad about refs does not help.

Crookshanks
04-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I rarely agree with David Stern, but I hope he does make good on his threat because this bitching and complaining about the refs has gotten totally out of hand. Whenever a team loses, it's NEVER the teams' fault - it's always the refs screwing them over.

Last night - the Spurs didn't make a single 3 pointer, and they only attempted 7. They were dominating in the paint - so it only follows that they should get fouled more. By no means was last night's game a parade to the free throw line for either team.

And the block/charge call is probably the most subjective in the entire game. It happens so quickly - do you want the refs to stop the game and demand to see the replay every time so they can always get it right?

If one team is much more aggressive, and driving to the rim on almost every play, then they're probably going to get more freethrows. You can't expect the refs to call phantom fouls just to make the numbers more even. But Dallas is known as a jumpshooting team - and the Spurs are known as a disciplined team with a coach who drills into their heads to "never foul a jumpshooter". That's why the fans were so upset when Dallas got so many more foul calls in Game 1.

Bottom line - sometimes games are called really crappy and clearly in favor of one team over the other - but last night was NOT one of those games!

EmptyMan
04-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Damp SHOULD be pissed. The refs absolutely raped him disproportionately to everyone else on that court.

This is truth. Non-homer Spurs fan who watched this game knows this.

spursfan1000
04-24-2010, 04:43 PM
I rarely agree with David Stern, but I hope he does make good on his threat because this bitching and complaining about the refs has gotten totally out of hand. Whenever a team loses, it's NEVER the teams' fault - it's always the refs screwing them over.

Last night - the Spurs didn't make a single 3 pointer, and they only attempted 7. They were dominating in the paint - so it only follows that they should get fouled more. By no means was last night's game a parade to the free throw line for either team.

And the block/charge call is probably the most subjective in the entire game. It happens so quickly - do you want the refs to stop the game and demand to see the replay every time so they can always get it right?

If one team is much more aggressive, and driving to the rim on almost every play, then they're probably going to get more freethrows. You can't expect the refs to call phantom fouls just to make the numbers more even. But Dallas is known as a jumpshooting team - and the Spurs are known as a disciplined team with a coach who drills into their heads to "never foul a jumpshooter". That's why the fans were so upset when Dallas got so many more foul calls in Game 1.

Bottom line - sometimes games are called really crappy and clearly in favor of one team over the other - but last night was NOT one of those games!

What was Stern threat?

NZ Spurs
04-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Dirk is the only Mav who drives the ball and its fucking awkward when he does. On that offensive foul call he lead with both knees into Bonner's chest. How the fuck do you even get into that position?

Crookshanks
04-24-2010, 04:48 PM
What was Stern threat?

To stop with the fines and start suspending Coaches and players for complaining about the refs.

exstatic
04-24-2010, 04:48 PM
What was Stern threat?

That referee critcisms will no longer just be a fine for coaches and players, but suspensions will come into play.

Bartleby
04-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Damp SHOULD be pissed. The refs absolutely raped him disproportionately to everyone else on that court.

Exactly! After all, this is "the second-best center in the West" we're talking about.

exstatic
04-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Dirk is the only Mav who drives the ball and its fucking awkward when he does. On that offensive foul call he lead with both knees into Bonner's chest. How the fuck do you even get into that position?

It's called the "fetal position", and if anyone know how to get into it, Dirk does.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2010, 04:51 PM

Please...

If the refs called Damp for a foul every time he fouled Duncan, he'd be averaging about 5 minutes per game before fouling out.

VBM
04-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Please...

If the refs called Damp for a foul every time he fouled Duncan, he'd be averaging about 5 minutes per game before fouling out.

:lol

The Truth #6
04-24-2010, 09:21 PM
It could have gone either way, which is why there's not a lot of sense in arguing those kinds of calls. I'd prefer they just make it a block 90 percent of the time to encourage people to go for the shot block instead. That said, there are a dozen cases in every loss where the Mavericks and their fanbase seem to think they're owed a call and it suddenly becomes the reason they lost. I guess they'd go 98-0 right to a championship every year if it weren't for those damned officials.

He came in with his knees. I thought that might be the reason.

ambchang
04-24-2010, 09:36 PM
The officiating really sucked in Game 3, I am serious. Dirk didn't even shoot as many FTs as the whole Spurs team! I mean, that should happen every single game, because the Spurs are a bunch of jump shooting pretty boys, and Dirk drives to the lane like a young Michael Jordan.

dbreiden83080
04-24-2010, 09:46 PM
http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/f964b6b3f70c4db21ee3c9e2f0c555fd.jpg

Tp9gospursgo
04-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Dampier pretty much blamed the referees for their loss. I thought Stern was gonna be "stern"??? :depressed

EricB
04-24-2010, 10:49 PM
I'd say HEAVY fine. No suspension.

Danny.Zhu
04-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I recall Dampier got fined last year for making comments about Parker...

And we lost that serie...

Whisky Dog
04-24-2010, 10:55 PM
He's not going to suspend him. He should after making those threats, but he'll just fine him maybe the max under the cba.

Spurs - 2010 NBA Champions

ace3g
04-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Dampier under review: Dallas center Erick Dampier is under review for comments that could be construed as critical of game officials, a league spokesman said.

Dampier's comments came after the Mavs' loss Friday in Game 3, less than 24 hours after NBA commissioner David Stern pledged to start suspending players and coaches who criticized referees.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/McDyess_No_1_priority_Making_Dirk_work.html?showFu llArticle=y

duncan228
04-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Dampier waits: The Mavericks were fully expecting the NBA to fine center Erick Dampier for his comments about officiating after Game 3.

He said the Mavericks were under a "magnifying glass" when they were playing defense and that the same wasn't the case for the Spurs' defense.

On Saturday, Dampier clarified his comments and said the Mavericks have to rise above officiating.

"I wasn't going at the refs," he said. "It's just part of being a basketball player. You know the refs aren't going to make every call.

"It's on us, absolutely. Sometimes they don't see the call. Sometimes it's a bad call. We can't let it get to us. We just got to get back on defense and play the kind of basketball we're used to playing."

Most of the fines levied this season for critical comments about officials have been in the $25,000-$35,000 range.

Since he doesn't have a history of talking about referees, it seems unlikely Dampier would be the first "example" to be made under commissioner David Stern's new, tougher stance on commentary about officiating. He said Thursday that he would not hesitate to suspend coaches or players for future infractions.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042510dnspomavsdate.3c26503.html

GSH
04-25-2010, 12:24 AM

No, it doesn't. And that's why it was so hard pinning down that prick Tim Donoghy. I have a little bit of a hard time with the Thunder being +22 and +20 at the line over the last two games, and Kobe not going to the line once in Game 3. It's just hard to picture a game where nobody fouls Kobe.

I honestly don't think that there is any kind of league conspiracy, or that there are refs fixing games. But I do think that there are refs that tend to cave more to home court pressure, and some that favor one style of play over another. And both of those things, if the exist, would make the calls uneven. (Note: I believe Stu Jackson used to "guide" the officiating crews, and I stand by that. But he's been moved aside, and doesn't have much opportunity anymore.)

There were some bad calls against the Mavs. The second foul on Dirk was absolute bullshit. Blair got by with one pushoff, in particular, that no NBA ref should ever miss. But the calls and no-calls were pretty consistent on both ends, and the refs mostly let both teams play. If the Spurs had not answered the Mavs 4th quarter surge, and had lost the game, I wouldn't have complained one bit about the officiating.

One thing you guys have left out about Game 1 is that midway through the third quarter, the FT's were 20-3 in favor of the Mavs, even though the Spurs were owning the paint. The Spurs were forced to start playing tenative defense... and that changed the game. If you watch Game 3, the Mavs didn't alter a damned thing. And Dampier, in particular, was still putting wood on guys after he had 5 fouls. The refs didn't force the outcome of that game.

Edit: And I hope they don't suspend Dampier for the comments. Playoff games should be decided by the players, and that means having the best ones on the floor. He was stupid, but that shouldn't keep him off the court.

Thompson
04-25-2010, 12:49 AM
When asked if he was worried about a possible suspension being handed down by commissioner Stern, Dampier responded "That little Zacchaeus troll wouldn't dare."

EricB
04-25-2010, 12:58 AM
:lol

To which Stern replied with "Don't push me Erika" :lol

TJastal
04-25-2010, 12:59 AM

+100

Always gives me a laugh when people bring up the "disparity" as the holy grail argument for whether the refs were biased or not.

MateoNeygro
04-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Meh. Sure you guys got some questionable calls, but the game was in San Antonio. Nothing out of the ordinary.

It's good to see a Mavs fan that gets it. I must say Eric Dampier is one of my least favorite players in the entire league, he talks so much shit but is one of the least productive players on his team. The guy is a joke to even get media attention and go off like that especially after what Stern said, he really could have fucked his team over.

TJastal
04-25-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm in the camp that says Bonner did not have position established to get that call on Dirk. Bonner did a little "bunny hop" to get in front of an already airborne Nowitzki.. which is not only a foul on Bonner but a dangerous situation, which is why the rules state a defender must have position established prior to the offensive player leaving his feet.

All this does is encourage guys to "jump in front" of airborne players at the last second and put them in harm's way.

TJastal
04-25-2010, 01:17 AM
I think Dan Crawford almost overturned that call, it looked like he was about to but thought the better of overruling Bavetta for the second time in the game.

Obstructed_View
04-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Okay, but at best it's a 50/50 call. Nobody was in danger of fouling out and Dirk led with his knees. When Bavetta makes the call and is that decisive about it, it's over. The Mavericks had been crying at every bit of contact and every whistle throughout the fourth quarter, and Damp would have made his comments if Bonner had been called for the block. Hell, he argued after the foul where he grabbed George Hill with both hands and held him up. Dude's an idiot.

Go back and watch the entire Mavs bench and assitant coaches flailing their arms on every possession at the end of the game wanting a moving pick call. It's pathetic.

EricB
04-25-2010, 02:12 AM
Like I've said. If the Spurs can come out and punch em hard in the mouth in the beginning of the game, the Mavericks just might fold up their tents.

JustinJDW
04-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Yeah, the calls were a bit on the Spurs side in Game 3, just like the calls were on the Mavs side in Game 1. Its just homecourt advantage and aggressiveness. Nothing in this Series so far has really been all that bad.

Dampier should be trying to come up with a gamenplan with Haywood about how to not get shitted on by Duncan in Game 4.

m33p0
04-25-2010, 06:24 AM
any sport where officiating is part of the game, advantage always goes to the aggressor.

K-State Spur
04-25-2010, 08:21 AM

by definition, all NBA fans are hypocritical when it comes to the referees. i could just as easily say look at Mavs fan comments after game 1 compared to Game 3.

but, there is a bit of a difference here. Mavs fans are complaining about a game where they went -5 from the FT line before fouling to extend the game.

Spurs fans have seen the Mavs get 3:1 FT advantages and Dirk shoot more FTs than the entire Spurs teams.

little different scale...

DPG21920
04-25-2010, 02:47 PM

You mean like Mav fans starting bitch about the officials threads in both forums before the game? This happened in game one and three :rollin