PDA

View Full Version : Have the Spurs Risen to Championship Level?

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-24-2010, 06:08 PM
At the start of the '09-'10 season, San Antonio was beaming after the signing of Antonio McDyess, the drafting of Dejuan Blair and of course, the perceived theft of Richard Jefferson from the Milwaukee Bucks. While most analysts still favored the Lakers to emerge from the West, there was a general consensus that the Spurs were legitimate contenders who belonged in the championship conversation.

Then they started playing basketball games.

Through the first four months of the season, Greg Popovich's troops did most everything in their power to convince us they were NOT championship contenders. And we believed them. Why wouldn't we? While they feasted on bottom feeders, time and time again they imitated a mouse in a viper pit against +.500 teams.

Many San Antonio fans clinged to hope that the "Rodeo Road Trip" would unite what appeared to be a disjointed, disheartened... and perhaps even slightly disinterested roster, as it had in so many seasons past. But the Spurs managed a mere 4-4 mark on the road trip and were no better off when they returned home.

Then... right about the time when even the most optimistic Spurs fans began to abandon hope, things began to change. Super-Manu reemerged, Richard Jefferson returned from... well, wherever the hell he was for the first four months of the season, and the Silver and Black began to more closely resemble the team most of us envisioned over the summer.

Despite the loss of Tony Parker to a broken hand, San Antonio went 18-7 and played .720 basketball from February 28 until the final game of the season. Just as - or perhaps MORE - importantly, this unit finally proved they could beat the NBA's best. Over the final 22 games of the season, they beat the Lakers, Cavs, Magic, Celtics, and defeated the Nuggets and Thunder on the road (on the second night of a back-to-backs).

After spending so much of the season helping the league forget all about them, few noticed the Spurs' late-season surge. Had San Antonio performed as well from day-1 of the season as they played in its final six weeks, it's unlikely they ever would have been tagged with the large "underdog" label they wore into post-season play.

But let's face it... just as long as you play well enough to deserve a playoff berth (or play in the Eastern Conference), the games played during the regular season are little more than a prolonged series of exhibition games. It's competitive foreplay. All that matters is how healthy and effective your team is come playoff time. And as Tim Duncan pointed out after last night's game-3 victory over the Mavericks to take a 2-1 series lead, the Spurs are playing their best basketball of the season, and they're finally healthy.

After a game-1 performance more in keeping with their early season play, the Spurs flashed the closest thing to championship form in games 2-4 that we've seen from this team in at least two years... or perhaps even since they hoisted their last Larry O'Brien trophy.

Sunday night, we saw something I wasn't sure they were still capable of... championship defense. And with the "Big 3" combining for only 31 points, the Spurs' supporting cast, let by George Hills' 29 points, stepped up to bridge the gap. They gutted out a win on a night when the core of their offense sputtered throughout the game. That's the sort of thing championship teams do. It's the kind of thing championship San Antonio teams HAVE done.

Is it possible? Are the Spurs peaking at exactly the right time? Could it happen?

ShoogarBear
04-24-2010, 06:12 PM
They've risen to "Maybe Can Beat the Mavs" Level. Which is a huge improvement from where they were in February and March.

Beating the Lakers, Cavs, or Magicn in a seven-game series would require another level entirely. if Hill gets fully healthy, and they start getting something meaningful from Blair and Bonner, it's possible.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I've come to a similar realization last night, hope i'm not mistaken. I sensed that finally the spurs players were playing at a highest level now. It's like a sleeping giant has awaken.

Hill is now playing very well and making shots. RJ is contributing more. I felt Blair started to understand his role more. TD is playing like the dominant player he's always been. Parker is playing very smart basketball right now and Manu is back to his old self.

This could be good signs, especially when they didn't roll over and gave up after the mavs run. For a moment there I was skeptical and made me recall similar games the spurs threw away. But once they got back in the game it reminded me of the winning playoff seasons.

androck
04-24-2010, 06:19 PM
They've risen to "Maybe Can Beat the Mavs" Level. Which is a huge improvement from where they were in February and March.

Beating the Lakers, Cavs, or Magicn in a seven-game series would require another level entirely. if Hill gets fully healthy, and they start getting something meaningful from Blair and Bonner, it's possible.

Don't expect much from Blair. He's still a rookie and you know what Pop thinks about rookies in the playoffs (might get some minutes if the Spurs play the Suns though since that's a good match-up for him).

timtonymanu
04-24-2010, 06:20 PM
We do look better, but we really need Bonner and Blair to step up if we're gonna go any far. We cannot survive in the playoffs with 6 consistent players.

boutons_deux
04-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Los Spurs are playing run-resistant, championship-tough basketball.

ShoogarBear
04-24-2010, 06:23 PM
This could be good signs, especially when they didn't roll over and gave up after the mavs run. For a moment there I was skeptical and made me recall similar games the spurs threw away. But once they got back in the game it reminded me of the winning playoff seasons.

Right, the first three quarters were nothing we hadn't seen before. Manning up in the fourth quarter was a huge change, though.

ShoogarBear
04-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Don't expect much from Blair. He's still a rookie and you know what Pop thinks about rookies in the playoffs (might get some minutes if the Spurs play the Suns though since that's a good match-up for him).

Blair would be getting a lot more minutes if he wasn't spazzing out so much. He did have a couple of nice moments last night. Hopefully playing with a series lead will get him to relax.

Muser
04-24-2010, 06:28 PM
No. Ceiling is now the WCF.

tdunk21
04-24-2010, 06:29 PM
this is spurs playoff basketball its like seeing a different team out there....

m33p0
04-24-2010, 06:32 PM
let's take it one game at a time, one series at a time. then maybe, just maybe... we get to the Promise Land again.

BackHome
04-24-2010, 06:32 PM
To be honest this team makes alot of us look like fools. I mean you think they are out and they win and then you think they will win and they loose. When we beat the Mavs the only team that scares me in the West is Utah and Portland in that they for some reason they have our number.

If the Spurs keep moving the ball and playing smart who knows how far they can go? Just have to pray to the basketball gods to give us that little luck that every team needs to win a championship.

spursfaninla
04-24-2010, 06:35 PM
No. Ceiling is now the WCF.

Lakers and Phx do not look unbeatable.

We do need to get a dependable front court performance from the bench though.

HarlemHeat37
04-24-2010, 06:35 PM
The Spurs were very inconsistent for most of the year..at the halfway point, a lot of fans didn't mind just getting a lottery pick instead, myself included..

When Manu became Manu again, it gave us optimism..at the end of all that, I said that I believe the Spurs could make it to the WCF if the guys are healthy, and that's still where I stand today..

While none of the "elites" look that good right now, especially the Lakers, the Spurs are still lacking IMO..the Spurs will need 2 players to step up and contribute..a 6-man rotation isn't enough..Bonner has to step up and Blair(or Bogans if the Spurs play against LA) will have to occasionally contribute IMO..even if that happens, the Spurs will also still need some hot shooting to make it..it's probably unlikely that both Bonner and Blair contribute anyways, but we can hope..

The odds are extremely bad anyways..a 7th seed winning a title is pretty much impossible(even though the Spurs aren't an ordinary 7)..the road would have to be Dallas, Portland/Phoenix, LA and Cleveland/Orlando..that would be the most difficult title run in NBA history..

Anyways, it's all premature either way, Spurs might not even make it past the 1st round..

04-24-2010, 06:39 PM
spurs still lack a consistent bench to be considered championship level. the good news though is that the big 3 is finally clicking again after two seasons of injuries. progress will need to be taken one round at a time. hill, jefferson, and mcdyess need to be solid role players all at the same time for the spurs to contend.

BronxCowboy
04-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Since the trade, the Mavs have been right up there with anybody. The Lakers with Bynum will be hella tough, and the Cavs and the Magic may be the only teams that can beat each other, but if the Spurs can handle the Mavs, they have as good a shot as anyone in the West. Here's hoping they all stay healthy!

ceperez
04-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Duncun is playing like the the Duncan of old. Manu has been pretty impressive. Parker is coming back to form.

Hill is definitely a big improvement.

However, if we see Jefferson and McDyess become consistent contributors and when we see Bonner and Blair make solid contributions then we definitely are championship level.

Let's see then, that's a decent 8 man rotation.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2010, 07:12 PM
No, but the bitch is finally in sight.

itzsoweezee
04-24-2010, 07:22 PM
no team in the playoffs is looking unbeatable at all. the magic probably look the best, but they've got major flaws as well. i like the spurs' chances.

rayray2k8
04-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Watch the spurs lose tomorrow and then the whole forum will go ape shit and the "fire pop", "trade duncan/parker/manu/ for Lebron" threads will come..
That's the typical spur fan I know. :rolleyes

Johnny RIngo
04-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Championship level? No. This team looks more like the '08 Spurs.

ulosturedge
04-24-2010, 07:59 PM
If they had a Solid defensive Center to play along side Duncan or to relieve Duncan then it would be more of a debate. The lack of size on this Spurs roster leaves them a step under the top teams in the league. Getting past the WCF or winning the ship would be quite miraculous to say the least(assuming its against the Lakers and the Magic). No matter how good they playing.

And yes can we focus on the Mavs. Everything else is quite a ways away atm...

TD 21
04-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I'd say no, on the basis of their key players probably not having the energy to sustain their current level of play throughout four rounds. For the most part, Duncan is playing great, but can he continue at this pace? Not just numbers-wise, but minutes-wise? I think he can for this series (though he's due for an off shooting game; hopefully it doesn't come until game five), but four rounds, I'm skeptical.

The lack of a second big man to protect the rim, at some point, will catch up to the Spurs, as will their lack of trust (rightfully so) past their top six players. But all that being said, this team is capable of at least making the Western Conference Finals. Not to look too far ahead, but they got a promising result on their likely second round opponent if they advance, with the Suns losing.

cd98
04-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Spurs are playing well offensively, but not on level defensively. There defense has gone up a level but needs to be spot on tomorrow to get the win.

tdunk21
04-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Watch the spurs lose tomorrow and then the whole forum will go ape shit and the "fire pop", "trade duncan/parker/manu/ for Lebron" threads will come..

:idiot

u deserve a facepalm

rayray2k8
04-24-2010, 08:21 PM
:idiot

u deserve a facepalm

You're exactly the type of spurs fan I'm referring to. Thanks for proving my point, noob! :toast
I'm cutting you a bit of slack since it's pretty obvious that you haven't been on the board long enough. So don't be too surprised when you see what type of threads pop up later.

tdunk21
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM
You're exactly the type of spurs fan I'm referring to. Thanks for proving my point, noob! :toast
I'm cutting you a bit of slack since it's pretty obvious that you haven't been on the board long enough. So don't be too surprised when you see what type of threads pop up later.

i have seen all the threads like "fuck duncan", "fuck pop", "fire pop", "timmy is done" threads....but my replies to those threads were positive....i was never so negative....uhave 1000's of posts and yet u act like a noob....u really deserve a facepalm

rayray2k8
04-24-2010, 08:28 PM
i have seen all the threads like "fuck duncan", "fuck pop", "fire pop", "timmy is done" threads....but my replies to those threads were positive....i was never so negative....uhave 1000's of posts and yet u act like a noob....u really deserve a facepalm

The hell? I didn't even bother finishing reading your post. What are you like 12?? Type in full sentences you lazy fuck. :lol

slayermin
04-24-2010, 08:28 PM
I am just savoring every second of each game. I don't know if they have what it takes to win it all. But I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.

One thing I do know, this is the best I have seen them play since 2007 and 2008.

MmP
04-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Watching a healthy TP, a dominant Manu and TD and improved Hill at the same time on the courts it's just a fantastic sight. I mean, this is what we've been waiting for. The rise of Dice defensively against dirk has really surprised me. And RJ doing something is great to see too.

smrattler
04-24-2010, 08:29 PM
We are plying our best basketball of the year right now. We got healthy just in time for the playoffs. Barely. But if we shake off the remaining effect to GHill's ankle, TP's hand and now Manu's nose, that's a start. If we keep getting better on defense like we have been the last several weeks leading up to and including the last two games...

Basically, win tomorrow and the elimination game and then we can talk about where we are. Until then, we are still just a 7th seed trying to move to the second round.

tdunk21
04-24-2010, 08:33 PM
The hell? I didn't even bother finishing reading your post. What are you like 12?? Type in full sentences you lazy fuck. :lol

i think some people were true when they said u r the least knowledgeable poster on spurstalk....nice...keep it up....:smokin

ohmwrecker
04-24-2010, 08:37 PM

You may be right, but it still doesn't change the fact that there are some permanently negative posters on the board. Jesus H! Can we not enjoy ourselves a little? It's been a rough year and our team is playing good basketball right now. This is why we are fans right?

duhoh
04-24-2010, 08:39 PM

QQ

stfu learn to take it easy kid. :toast

rayray2k8
04-24-2010, 08:42 PM
i think some people were true when they said u r the least knowledgeable poster on spurstalk....nice...keep it up....:smokin

It's probably one of the least liked, but I got plenty of haters. You sir are next in line. :lol
But now I know you haven't really paid attention to the forum. Thanks for racking up the points brotha!

:hat

tdunk21
04-24-2010, 08:45 PM
It's probably one of the least liked, but I got plenty of haters. You sir are next in line. :lol

:hat

i dont hate mentally challenged people.....

rayray2k8
04-24-2010, 09:44 PM
i dont hate mentally challenged people.....

I can see where this is going. So I'll just save myself the time and wasted effort on this 'tard. Although tempting, I let the noob slide. :wakeup

But I'll leave him with something that will easily entertain him.

KZx2r3ISuKA

:LKjdlkfjasd;fj;asodiuf;lkwe!@!

superjames1992
04-24-2010, 10:03 PM
The level the Spurs are currently playing at would certainly make them capable of beating the Lakers. Heck, the Lakers are struggling with the Thunder right now as it looks like the Thunder are going to win game #4 to make the series 2-2.

And Boston isn't that good. Hell, this Spurs team minus Tony Parker rolled over them a month or so ago.

The Cavaliers are really good, but these Spurs minus Parker also beat them about a month ago.

The sky is the limit for these Spurs. I doubt they win the title, but they are certainly capable of it. There's several roadblocks along the way, but if the Spurs do finish off Dallas, I think they'll get to the Western Conference Finals and I think the Spurs will have a decent shot against them.

Hell, the Spurs minus Parker beat the Lakers not all that long ago.

EricB
04-24-2010, 10:50 PM

This. One game at a time. One series at a time.

MateoNeygro
04-24-2010, 11:11 PM
I sure hope they can rise above and play on another level. I'm impressed with what I've read up to this point. I just wish I could watch it and really decide for myself but I'm glad I have a great forum with very smart bb IQ people in it to read and get analysis from.

TheChillFactor
04-24-2010, 11:42 PM
not yet, but i'm holding out hope that they can, especially depending on the matchups.

no way in hell we beat lebron, but the magic? maybe....

Oh, Gee!!
04-24-2010, 11:44 PM
No. Win one more game, then one more game. aside from that, stfu.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-24-2010, 11:50 PM
yes

superjames1992
04-24-2010, 11:56 PM
No. Win one more game, then one more game. aside from that, stfu.

We are fans. We're aren't the team. We can look ahead if we want.

Dex
04-25-2010, 12:05 AM
One game at a time. That's the best we can do now, but who knows how far that can take us.

Danny.Zhu
04-25-2010, 12:06 AM
As long as RJ can not consistantly contribute on the court, they have not.

GSH
04-25-2010, 02:16 AM
Even though they have struggled this year, the Spurs have quietly maintained some impressive stats against the rest of the league. The main problem has obviously been turnovers, but they have improved there since the All Star break. Believe it or not - just going by the numbers, the most likely pick for the finals would be Spurs vs Cavs (with Orlando in the ECF).

Have a look at where they rank in most of the important team stats:

Point differential (points for - points against) - Spurs are 4th in the league behind Orlando, Cleveland, and Utah.

Assist differential (assists for - assists against) - Spurs are 4th in the league, behind Utah, Boston, and Dallas.

Efficiency differential (Off Efficiency - Def Efficiency) - Spurs are 4th in the league, behind Orlando, Cleveland, and Phoenix

Rebound differential - Spurs are 3rd in the league, behind Cleveland and Memphis.

ORR differential (offensive rebound rate - opponents ORR) - Spurs are third in the league, behind Memphis and Detroit.

Opponents True Shooting % (weighted for 3P, FT's, etc.) - Spurs are fourth in the league, behind Orlando, LA, and Cleveland.

Defensive Rebound Rate - Spurs are fourth in the league, behind Orlando, Cleveland, and Milwaukee.

Total Rebound Rate - Spurs are third, behind Cleveland and Memphis

And remember, those are regular season stats. The Spurs appear to have taken it up a notch recently. If everyone stays healthy, and if they manage the turnovers, they can compete with anyone - although the numbers AND their record suggest that beating Cleveland would take one hell of a team effort.

phyzik
04-25-2010, 03:46 AM
If we beat the Mavs, I think we can beat any team.

The Mavs have had our number for 4 years. They are practically built to beat us. All the other teams in regards to matchups look weak to me in comparisson to the Mavs.

A healthy big 3 makes a HUGE difference. Still, its going to come down to our bench to win it for us in the later rounds and if thats the case, I like our chances.

TJastal
04-25-2010, 04:05 AM
The level the Spurs are currently playing at would certainly make them capable of beating the Lakers. Heck, the Lakers are struggling with the Thunder right now as it looks like the Thunder are going to win game #4 to make the series 2-2.

And Boston isn't that good. Hell, this Spurs team minus Tony Parker rolled over them a month or so ago.

The Cavaliers are really good, but these Spurs minus Parker also beat them about a month ago.

The sky is the limit for these Spurs. I doubt they win the title, but they are certainly capable of it. There's several roadblocks along the way, but if the Spurs do finish off Dallas, I think they'll get to the Western Conference Finals and I think the Spurs will have a decent shot against them.

Hell, the Spurs minus Parker beat the Lakers not all that long ago.

I'll add a few thoughts to this well thought out posting.

If everything goes as I hoped, we will get the lakers but not till the WCF after they've had to go through a pair of grueling playoff series with the thunder and either suns/blazers. It already looks like the thunder are going to push them to the brink and all those young studs are already wearing em out quite nicely. Which is great.:tu But......

We have to hope however that the thunder do not pull off the improbable, which is to pull off the upset. This team with its length and athleticsm would give the spurs alot of problems if the spurs were to eventually face them. I'd much rather get a tired, wore out laker team in the WCF (if we get that far).

quentin_compson
04-25-2010, 08:46 AM
I'll add a few thoughts to this well thought out posting.

If everything goes as I hoped, we will get the lakers but not till the WCF after they've had to go through a pair of grueling playoff series with the thunder and either suns/blazers. It already looks like the thunder are going to push them to the brink and all those young studs are already wearing em out quite nicely. Which is great.:tu But......

We have to hope however that the thunder do not pull off the improbable, which is to pull off the upset. This team with its length and athleticsm would give the spurs alot of problems if the spurs were to eventually face them. I'd much rather get a tired, wore out laker team in the WCF (if we get that far).

That would be the teams the Spurs could meet in the second round.

I think we can beat the Mavs, and two or three months ago, I wouldn't have been as positive on that as I am now. So this is definitely an improvement.

But this is still anyone's series, especially if the Mavs were to win Game 4 (knock on wood). The Lakers might not look too good right now, but they still would have the length and talent (minus the bench, that is) to prove a very tough matchup in the WCF.

But I don't want to look as far ahead as the WCF. Let's just win Game 4 by playing with intensity and a sense of urgency, by playing good D and rebounding the ball well. Fewer fastbreak points for the Mavs would be nice as well.

Tbiggums47
04-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Even though they have struggled this year, the Spurs have quietly maintained some impressive stats against the rest of the league. The main problem has obviously been turnovers, but they have improved there since the All Star break. Believe it or not - just going by the numbers, the most likely pick for the finals would be Spurs vs Cavs (with Orlando in the ECF).

Have a look at where they rank in most of the important team stats:

Point differential (points for - points against) - Spurs are 4th in the league behind Orlando, Cleveland, and Utah.

Assist differential (assists for - assists against) - Spurs are 4th in the league, behind Utah, Boston, and Dallas.

Efficiency differential (Off Efficiency - Def Efficiency) - Spurs are 4th in the league, behind Orlando, Cleveland, and Phoenix

Rebound differential - Spurs are 3rd in the league, behind Cleveland and Memphis.

ORR differential (offensive rebound rate - opponents ORR) - Spurs are third in the league, behind Memphis and Detroit.

Opponents True Shooting % (weighted for 3P, FT's, etc.) - Spurs are fourth in the league, behind Orlando, LA, and Cleveland.

Defensive Rebound Rate - Spurs are fourth in the league, behind Orlando, Cleveland, and Milwaukee.

Total Rebound Rate - Spurs are third, behind Cleveland and Memphis

And remember, those are regular season stats. The Spurs appear to have taken it up a notch recently. If everyone stays healthy, and if they manage the turnovers, they can compete with anyone - although the numbers AND their record suggest that beating Cleveland would take one hell of a team effort.
Good Point GSH,

I'm going out on a limb and saying "Yes" The Spurs are playing at a championship level..And..If there was one example of that..I would say that it was in the 3rd quarter of game 3 when after they lost the lead..They were able to "maintain their composure" and fight back to knock the lead down..Maintain that energy in the fouth quarter..Then take the lead...I got shivers when I saw that..THAT is championship Meddle..Folks! Its not only having the firepower to blow people out but the Will to control a game. This team has controlled the tempo of all three games. Remember..The Pundits said that Dallas was Championship Caliber with their midseason trade....So if that is true they will display that desire tonight..And the Spurs..Being the 4 time Champions that they are will exhibit the same character...If they are Championship Caliber! Tonight should let us know a lot about both teams...Go Spurs!

Tbiggums47
04-25-2010, 09:32 AM
what if G HIll contributes in stead of RJ?

Agloco
04-25-2010, 09:32 AM
At the start of the '09-'10 season, San Antonio was beaming after the signing of Antonio McDyess, the drafting of Dejuan Blair and of course, the perceived theft of Richard Jefferson from the Milwaukee Bucks. While most analysts still favored the Lakers to emerge from the West, there was a general consensus that the Spurs were legitimate contenders who belonged in the championship conversation.

Then they started playing basketball games.

Through the first four months of the season, Greg Popovich's troops did most everything in their power to convince us they were NOT championship contenders. And we believed them. Why wouldn't we? While they feasted on bottom feeders, time and time again they imitated a mouse in a viper pit against +.500 teams.

Many San Antonio fans clinged to hope that the "Rodeo Road Trip" would unite what appeared to be a disjointed, disheartened... and perhaps even slightly disinterested roster, as it had in so many seasons past. But the Spurs managed a mere 4-4 mark on the road trip and were no better off when they returned home.

Then... right about the time when even the most optimistic Spurs fans began to abandon hope, things began to change. Super-Manu reemerged, Richard Jefferson returned from... well, wherever the hell he was for the first four months of the season, and the Silver and Black began to more closely resemble the team most of us envisioned over the summer.

Despite the loss of Tony Parker to a broken hand, San Antonio went 18-7 and played .720 basketball from February 28 until the final game of the season. Just as - or perhaps MORE - importantly, this unit finally proved they could beat the NBA's best. Over the final 22 games of the season, they beat the Lakers, Cavs, Magic, Celtics, and defeated the Nuggets and Thunder on the road (on the second night of a back-to-backs).

After spending so much of the season helping the league forget all about them, few noticed the Spurs' late-season surge. Had San Antonio performed as well from day-1 of the season as they played in its final six weeks, it's unlikely they ever would have been tagged with the large "underdog" label they wore into post-season play.

But let's face it... just as long as you play well enough to deserve a playoff berth (or play in the Eastern Conference), the games played during the regular season are little more than a prolonged series of exhibition games. It's competitive foreplay. All that matters is how healthy and effective your team is come playoff time. And as Tim Duncan pointed out after last night's game-3 victory over the Mavericks to take a 2-1 series lead, the Spurs are playing their best basketball of the season, and they're finally healthy.

After a game-1 performance more in keeping with their early season play, the Spurs flashed the closest thing to championship form in games 2 and 3 that we've seen from this team in at least two years... or perhaps even since they hoisted their last Larry O'Brien trophy.

Is it possible? Are the Spurs peaking at exactly the right time? Could it happen?

In a word.......no.

I'd like to see them oust the Mavericks first, the critique them on how it got done. Even then, there's still three rounds left to the promised land. It's WAAAY too early for this kind of talk.

Bambililos
04-25-2010, 10:19 AM

This.

Horse
04-25-2010, 10:40 AM

I agree we have to step it up even more for a championship, but have you seen the lakers or cavs lately there is no unbeatable great team out there and with a little luck and a hot streak anyone really could win it all.:flag:

Horse
04-25-2010, 10:53 AM
not yet, but i'm holding out hope that they can, especially depending on the matchups.

no way in hell we beat lebron, but the magic? maybe....
Man I fear lebron just a little more than I did in 07. I mean there pretty much the same stand around and watch lebron do everything and believe Pop is the best when it comes to letting a great player get his and taking everyone else away like your seeing against the mavs. shaq is garbage and will ruin this teams chances like he did to phoenix. I don't think they beat the magic if they play.

pgardn
04-25-2010, 11:29 AM
No.

But maybe West Conference champs. No one looks to be without severe areas of weaknesses in the West.

Our display with the Mavs revolves around a few luxuries we may not find with other teams:

1. Duncan is really not having to put a lot of effort in on D. Imo he has been so lively offensively while playing more minutes because he can take a bit of a rest. Think about Duncan on Gasol or Bynum. He will not get rest.

2. Jason Kidd plays defense only in the last quarter. We are penetrating, getting wide open shots and not even shooting that well... Did we even hit a 3 last game?

3. The Mavs are having to earn their baskets, we are getting easier looks and more junk baskets.

Dirk is still the key. He is the guy, if he has a little help, who can go off on us. It is still a mystery to me why Dallas completely left Butler on the bench after he went bad in the 1st quarter. He was overpowering and hurting us game 1 and 2. No one on their team can really push us around except Butler. The Mavs have got to hit from the outside consistently to draw us out and open up lanes. Otherwise its tough jumpers all night and its not easy to win this way. Possible, but not easy. If we are hitting 3's as well as scoring in the paint Dallas is in real trouble.

ohmwrecker
04-25-2010, 11:40 AM
I think the odds are pretty fair and getting better with each win. We definitely have the toughest 1st round opponent with an in-state division rival with a lot of history. The Lakers have their hands full with OKC, Portland/PHX is looking like a 7 game series, Jazz/Thuggets look like two bad teams right now. I say are odds of going to the Finals this year are not as bad as everybody is making them out to be.
Yeah, I know . . . "but we don't match up well with the Lakers." Everyone said the same thing about Dallas and the Spurs are giving them all they can handle right now.

Also, the Spurs look like the only team in the west that is still improving. Everyone else has either already peaked or has gotten a lot worse.

ShoogarBear
04-25-2010, 11:43 AM
I agree we have to step it up even more for a championship, but have you seen the lakers or cavs lately there is no unbeatable great team out there and with a little luck and a hot streak anyone really could win it all.:flag:

There isn't a team that looks unbeatable now, but if the Lakers advance it will have to be because they're playing better than they are now. And the ceiling for how they can play is higher for them and the Cavs than it is for the Spurs.

Course, if the Thunder win, game is wide open.

wut
04-25-2010, 12:03 PM
First off it was the improvement of our team defense, that you can attribute to the wins in the last few months of basketball.

Secondly deep down I'm not very confident in the Spurs just yet. While I don't think anyone has answers for a healthy Manu/Parker .... it's the consistency of everyone else (outside of Duncan/Manu/Parker) that worries me.

Right now you can tell the team is really coming together and gaining some momentum; so anything is possible.

DPG21920
04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Spurs have to get by the Mavs first. If they do, that will be one huge obstacle out of the way. But that is not a forgone conclusion, and that is just the first round.

GSH
04-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Don't forget the gauntlet the Spurs ran at the end of the season. They beat Denver, LA, Orlando, Cleveland, Boston, Miami, Atlanta, and OKC in a pretty short stretch of games. And that was without the whole roster being healthy. I don't think anyone is saying the Spurs are going to dominate the playoffs. The question was whether they are playing at a level that gives them a shot at a championship. I don't think anyone would have said "yes" at mid-season. But this doesn't even look like the same team now.

I think the single biggest hole in the Spurs game right now is at the 3P line: Before the All Star break, the team was shooting 37.1% from the 3P line. After the break they dropped to 34%, which is near the bottom of the league.
At home, we shot 3-pointers at 39% for the season. But on the road we shot 32.7%, which is second to last in the league.
In our wins, we made 40.8% of 3-pointers. In our losses, we made 28.5%.

Mason, Jefferson, and Bonner aren't getting it done. The Spurs need the firepower, but they also need those 3's to stretch opposing defenses. I think we'll have a hard time going deep in the playoffs unless somebody steps up and starts draining some 3-point shots. Remember Brent Barry?

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-25-2010, 03:33 PM
If the Spurs win tonight, I think it's going to be tough to definitively say "no, the Spurs are title contenders". Which is not to say that if they lose tonight, they're not legit... but a 3-1 series and a possible 5 or 6 game series victory would certainly put the Spurs back in the conversation when we talk about teams with a chance to be there at the end, IMHO.

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I think the single biggest hole in the Spurs game right now is at the 3P line: Before the All Star break, the team was shooting 37.1% from the 3P line. After the break they dropped to 34%, which is near the bottom of the league.
At home, we shot 3-pointers at 39% for the season. But on the road we shot 32.7%, which is second to last in the league.
In our wins, we made 40.8% of 3-pointers. In our losses, we made 28.5%.

Mason, Jefferson, and Bonner aren't getting it done. The Spurs need the firepower, but they also need those 3's to stretch opposing defenses. I think we'll have a hard time going deep in the playoffs unless somebody steps up and starts draining some 3-point shots. Remember Brent Barry?

Agreed. The guys who are supposed to be hitting from outside aren't getting the job done. Bonner and Mason, in particular. Hope they get it going soon.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-25-2010, 03:55 PM
We are still one consistent impact player away.

TDMVPDPOY
04-25-2010, 03:57 PM
healthy spurs team fears no one

i like this low seed, if we can win it all at 7th seed without hca and going through strong teams this will help elevate duncans ranking on the all-time list

Horse
04-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Agreed. The guys who are supposed to be hitting from outside aren't getting the job done. Bonner and Mason, in particular. Hope they get it going soon.
Really, that's like their only job, and on this team they get such good looks they need to knock em down already. Oh how I miss Bruce and Bigshot Bob.

GSH
04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
yes!

sananspursfan21
04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
the mavs are the scariest team to me in these playoffs.... for the spurs anyways. the fact that they're commanding the mavs lick the floor in this series makes me believe the spurs can do some serious damage in the playoffs, regardless of who they play. championship....maybe, maybe not, but i'm lovin they're chances

dav4463
04-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Let's win this series first and just enjoy the ride. We are so privileged to be fans during the Tim Duncan era !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooks
04-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I think we're 1 defensive big man away from being able to win an NBA championship, I just don't see us winning with Bonner, Dyess and Blair as our big men...if only we had a young athletic center that has the ability to alter shots in the paint...if only......

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I think we're 1 defensive big man away from being able to win an NBA championship, I just don't see us winning with Bonner, Dyess and Blair as our big men...if only we had a young athletic center that has the ability to alter shots in the paint...if only......

The good news is... EVERY team has reasons why they can't win the championship this year. The '94 Bulls aren't playing this year. There are no perfect teams. The Spurs may have their flaws, but then, so does everyone else.

tdunk21
04-25-2010, 10:26 PM

disappointed rayray????least knowledgeable poster on spurstalk is so true....

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-25-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm just disappointed we didn't get a camera shot of Mark Cuban after the game. I was PRAYING for the camera to pan to Cuban... I was dying to see the look on his face. I really enjoy watching his spirit crushed. He's such an asshole. lol