PDA

View Full Version : Mavs' choking tradition set to continue

duncan228
04-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Mavs' choking tradition set to continue (http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro/mavs-choking-tradition-set-to-continue-616211.html)
Kirk Bohls, Commentary

For most of the second half of the most pivotal game of this Western Conference series, the Dallas Mavericks went small.

With their lineup.

To match their mindset.

No team in the NBA does this quite so often as Mark Cuban's maddeningly inconsistent club, which rarely comes up big in the big moments.

This is a franchise that plans the victory parade but forgets to win the championship. It's still haunted by that collapse in the 2006 finals after leading the Miami Heat 2-0.

Dallas has won exactly one playoff series since choking against the Heat, and that was a 2009 first-rounder against a Spurs team missing Manu Ginobili. Take away that series, and the Mavs are 5-14 in the postseason, including a first-round washout against eighth seed Golden State in 2007.

Now sitting at 1-2 versus the Spurs, the Mavs may be on the verge of continuing their postseason infamy.

In Game 3 against San Antonio, Mavs coach Rick Carlisle chose to go with a small, three-guard lineup for much of the game, relying on the ultra-quick and productive J.J. Barea and top sixth man Jason Terry. But the Mavs never made the crucial play of the game in the fourth quarter.

Terry misses wide-open shots. Barea travels. Jason Kidd misses his last two shots.

"It was working for a while," Dallas star Dirk Nowitzki said Saturday. "Maybe we stuck with it too long. But afterwards, you're always smarter."

Dallas fans may wonder when their favorite team is ever smart. If panic hasn't crept in, team divisiveness has popped up, although the players put on their best faces Saturday after Carlisle benched Caron Butler for the entire second half Friday and played Shawn Marion fewer than 17 total minutes.

In other words, Cuban pulled the trigger with a stunning midseason trade to bring Butler and Brendan Haywood from Washington. It took 21/2 playoff games before Carlisle pulled the plug and used the same bunch that lost to the Nuggets in last year's Western semifinals.

The second-guessing was rampant.

They blamed the refs for one-sided calls. Erick Dampier, Dave Stern on Line 2.

They blamed their coach for changing players' roles. Marion said he couldn't be effective "if I'm pulled in and out like a rag doll."

They blamed the basketball gods of bad breaks and bizarre bounces.

Hey, Mavs, invest in a mirror. It will expose your inferior interior defense, and your players' uneven performances and poor halfcourt offense.

The Spurs didn't sink a single three-pointer and still won. One of their stars breaks his nose and still drives to the basket. There's your mental toughness right there.

Mavs, you can't get five total buckets from four of your starters and win a playoff game.

It's as if they expect to lose.

The Mavs took out the Spurs in five games last season and went through them during their 2006 run to the finals, but San Antonio has more often been the black cat that constantly crosses Dallas' path.

It seems painfully obvious that Dallas is facing as big a psychological battle as it is a physical. But Kidd ain't buying it.

"I'm too old for that," he said.

Or is he too old, period? He's hit two of his last 13 shots as the Spurs go over the tops of screens and do not allow him to get set on his three-point launches.

Tonight's Game 4 at the AT&T Center looms as the biggest of the year for the pressing Mavs, yet another franchise-defining contest for a team that is fast developing a reputation as the Chicago Cubs of the NBA. Dallas must win to have a prayer in this series.

It's true that the Mavs won 55 games to earn the No. 2 seed in the rugged West and led the league with 27 road victories, and they'll never need that road-game resolve more than tonight. As Dirk said, "We've proven we can win in this building."

But where's all that offensive versatility that makes Dallas so hard to defend? Where's the huge size differential, when San Antonio gets as many rebounds and blocked shots as Dallas? Oh, right, on the bench.

After dropping two straight to the Spurs, the Mavs stand on the precipice of almost certain elimination, should they go down 3-1 in this best-of-seven series. If they fall, does Cuban blow up the team in the offseason yet again?

This team isn't imploding. It could have won Game 2. But it didn't.

Kidd has been practically invisible the last two games, making a single field goal in each of them.

Marion showed nothing offensively and then wondered out loud why his minutes were so significantly reduced.

Butler, channeling his inner Wizard, has too often disappeared, scoring just two points Friday.

In fact, were it not for Nowitzki, Dallas might be down 3-0 already. He's getting the stuffing beat out of him like a Fiesta piņata, but has hung in there. Dirk's getting almost no help. While these incredibly shrinking Mavs contend panic has not set in, it wouldn't take much imagination to spot it with another defeat.

"This ain't easy," Terry said. "If it was, we would have swept them by now. But we had a nine-point lead. A championship team holds that lead and walks away with it. These are two championship teams going at it."

No, Jason, the Spurs are the only team in this battle with banners at their arena. Four of them. The only thing amidst the rafters at Dallas' American Airlines Center is, well, rafters.

MavDynasty
04-24-2010, 08:05 PM
:lmao the last sentence basically said "4 rings faggot"

silverblk mystix
04-24-2010, 08:06 PM
jinx b.s

tdunk21
04-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Mavs' choking tradition set to continue (http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro/mavs-choking-tradition-set-to-continue-616211.html)

"This ain't easy," Terry said. "If it was, we would have swept them by now. But we had a nine-point lead. A championship team holds that lead and walks away with it. These are two championship teams going at it."

and when did u win that championship terry???

TD 21
04-24-2010, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't consider this the Mavs choking if they lose this series. Particularly in the positions they're now in. '06 would have been, considering they were up 3-1. But this is not choking. The Spurs are the better team and so long as Duncan doesn't completely run out of gas and Nowitzki doesn't get an inordinate amount of ridiculous calls, they're going to win this series.

Because it's the first round and people thought the Mavs were poised for a long run, they'll overreact. Similar to the Suns in '08. Truthfully, if the Mavs got any other lower seeded team but the Spurs, they'd almost assuredly advance and depending on the second round match-up, have a chance at the conference finals.

rayray2k8
04-24-2010, 08:33 PM
omg.. All these "series is over" threads are making me nervous.... :pop

j/k Should be a good game tomorrow..

For the spurs that is. :D

jermaine
04-24-2010, 08:38 PM
the mavs will choke like always

ohmwrecker
04-24-2010, 08:51 PM
and when did u win that championship terry???

Dude, I know you are new here, but do you have to quote the entire article in the OP just to type one sentence? That drives me fucking crazy.

tdunk21
04-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Dude, I know you are new here, but do you have to quote the entire article in the OP just to type one sentence? That drives me fucking crazy.

my bad just realised that after posting...

mookie2001
04-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I agree the mavs are chokers but that doesn't mean that every year they don't win the championship- they "choke". that doesn't make any sense and it's giving them way too much credit

but this is a Kirk Bohls article, consdering the source i'd give it an A grade

mystargtr34
04-24-2010, 08:59 PM
For me the series is still in the balance, with Spurs the slightest of favourites. Main reason is that the Mavs play so well in the Spurs building, that the Game 3 no show by everyone outside of Dirk seems like an anomoly. Game 4 IMO is equally as big as Game 3, if they win they go on to win the series. If they lose, i dont like their chances in a best of 3 with two on the road against a Mav team with all the momentum.

Huge game.

tdunk21
04-24-2010, 09:01 PM
game 4 is crucial and a must win for spurs...apart from big 3 we need a 4th scorer in hill or RJ and some defense.....

50 cent
04-24-2010, 09:12 PM
:lmao

YoMamaIsCallin
04-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I know I've posted this before. But they keep on doing it. "These are two championship teams..."

This goes beyond a sense of entitlement. It goes to a disconnect from reality.

Any normal player would say, "They've been here multiple times and earned it. We haven't. We need to learn from them and match their intensity and hunger to win."

Instead, it's excuses, rationalizations, and puffed-up bravado.

I recall what Gregg Popovich wrote on the blackboard during the famous Phoenix series where Horry was suspended (2007). "Expect nothing. Ask for nothing." If I recall correctly, :) the Spurs won it all that year.

The Dallas motto seems to be, "Expect everything. Ask for everything."

exstatic
04-24-2010, 09:24 PM
game 4 is crucial and a must win for spurs...apart from big 3 we need a 4th scorer in hill or RJ and some defense.....

We had 4 scorers over 15 points in both game 2 and game 3. I'm thinking Dallas isn't ever going to see another o-for three point shooting performance out of SA.

timvpimp
04-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I agree the mavs are chokers but that doesn't mean that every year they don't win the championship- they "choke". that doesn't make any sense and it's giving them way too much credit

but this is a Kirk Bohls article, consdering the source i'd give it an A grade
more sense than you've made, still.

MmP
04-24-2010, 09:36 PM
omg.. All these "series is over" threads are making me nervous....

dbreiden83080
04-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Choking WTF..

The Mavs are not up 3-0 and we are on the comeback trail. They outplayed us in game 1, we beat them down in game 2 and other than a few bad stretches were in control of most of game 3. They are just getting outplayed so far..

EricB
04-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Had the spurs played smarter and barea not shot the game of his life that's a double digit win last night BUT. You HAVE to come out tommorow like your down 2-1. You can't give Dallas ANY room to breathe...

Agloco
04-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Kirk Bohls, Commentary

No, Jason, the Spurs are the only team in this battle with banners at their arena. Four of them. The only thing amidst the rafters at Dallas' American Airlines Center is, well, rafters.

lol Terry

lol 4 Rings Faggot

TampaDude
04-25-2010, 10:11 AM

LOLWUT???

4 rings, faggot!!! :lol

Doctor J
04-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Kirk Bohls, Commentary

Hey, Mavs, invest in a mirror. It will expose your inferior interior defense, and your players' uneven performances and poor halfcourt offense.

The Spurs didn't sink a single three-pointer and still won. One of their stars breaks his nose and still drives to the basket. There's your mental toughness right there.

Mavs, you can't get five total buckets from four of your starters and win a playoff game.

This! Well said...

m33p0
04-25-2010, 11:33 AM
if the mavs can't limit the spurs advantage in the paint, they're toast no matter how long the series ends up to be.

m33p0
04-25-2010, 11:35 AM
don't they have the t-shirts to show for it?

Fpoonsie
04-25-2010, 11:37 AM
This is one of those articles that I'll allow myself to chuckle at AFTER the series is over, and ONLY if SA comes out on top.

Until then...

gospursgojas
04-25-2010, 11:47 AM
The problem with the Mavs is they have no poise. They will jump around, high five each other, high five the crowd, Terry will do the jet thing, and act as if they won a 'ship for a dunk that gives them a 1 pt lead in the 1st quarter.

If the Spurs acted this way Pop would throw a bitch fit and tell them they haven't fucking won anything yet.

But as high as the Mavs are for that little lead early in the game, they will be just as low and start falling apart as a team for a deficit late in the game. Thus the "choking" label.

DPG21920
04-25-2010, 11:57 AM
People here overreact so much. The Mavs have no poise? They are a very good team that often goes on huge runs. The Mavs are chokers? They have a great record and beat lots of teams. Dirk, Terry and Kidd are all clutch.

If a couple of calls go in the different direction, it would be the Spurs who blew leads and have no poise.

The Mavs are a great team (compared to most of the league) and they can very well win this series. Spurs have to stick with whats working and play with great energy. I am happy as can be with where the Spurs are at, but the job is not done and the tide can quickly turn against theses "chokers".

gospursgojas
04-25-2010, 11:59 AM
People here overreact so much. The Mavs have no poise? They are a very good team that often goes on huge runs. The Mavs are chokers? They have a great record and beat lots of teams. Dirk, Terry and Kidd are all clutch.

If a couple of calls go in the different direction, it would be the Spurs who blew leads and have no poise.

The Mavs are a great team (compared to most of the league) and they can very well win this series. Spurs have to stick with whats working and play with great energy. I am happy as can be with where the Spurs are at, but the job is not done and the tide can quickly turn against theses "chokers".

Just add "in the regular season" to all your compliments of the Mavs in your ^^^post and you'll be correct.

DPG21920
04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Just add "in the regular season" to all your compliments of the Mavs in your ^^^post and you'll be correct.

You are no longer a warrior.

gospursgojas
04-25-2010, 12:03 PM
You are no longer a warrior.

Mmmkay.

lotr1trekkie
04-25-2010, 12:16 PM
The Mavs have a roster that matches up against the Lakers. As long as Tim is here we will always be in their heads. The Mavs will not win it all this year which will continue
" we got 4 vs 0" Dallas mindset. Dirk is an offensive beast but he needs to eliminate the" he riped off my balls" look every time he gets fouled or not fouled. Man up! Like Manu.

gameFACE
04-25-2010, 12:27 PM
The Spurs 2-1 lead is absolutely nothing right now.

TampaDude
04-25-2010, 02:00 PM
The Spurs 2-1 lead is absolutely nothing right now.

Maybe...but the 3-1 lead we'll have tomorrow morning will be. :hat

gospursgojas
04-25-2010, 07:57 PM
The problem with the Mavs is they have no poise. They will jump around, high five each other, high five the crowd, Terry will do the jet thing, and act as if they won a 'ship for a dunk that gives them a 1 pt lead in the 1st quarter.

If the Spurs acted this way Pop would throw a bitch fit and tell them they haven't fucking won anything yet.

But as high as the Mavs are for that little lead early in the game, they will be just as low and start falling apart as a team for a deficit late in the game. Thus the "choking" label.