PDA

View Full Version : LA/OKC Thoughts from a Laker fan

milkshakeballa
04-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Let me first say that OKC has been my 2nd favorite team all year. It fucking sucks that they had to play the Lakers and I couldn't root for them. Energy, hustle, athleticism...soooo fun to watch.

Now...

Why is everyone so surprised?

-The Lakers finished the year 3-7

-The Lakers played .500 ball for what - the last month and a half?

-OKC only finished 7 games behind the Lakers

Is this really such a HUGE upset? Maybe if Kobe was healthy (not using this as an excuse) but with this Laker team right now, OKC is RIGHT THERE with them.

They have won 10 of the 16 quarters vs. the Lakers this series.

They are HUNGRIER.

Their strengths play to the Lakers weaknesses to a T.

I don't get why this is such a big deal. I made bets with a few friends of mine that OKC will win this series.

OKC can't win on the road? They were a shot or a break away from winning game 2. Scott Brooks press conference? "All we gotta do is win ONE in LA." These guys have a swagger and confidence that they are winning game 6 no matter what. The Lakers cannot beat them in OKC in their minds.

Before the series started I honestly thought thats what would have been missing. I didn't think OKC would truly BELIEVE they could beat the Lakers. Looks like the Lakers let them have that belief....

***For the people saying Kobe is trying to prove a point...PLEASE. Stop with the nonsense. Guy is EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE. Would never do that.

IMO he fucking has NO CLUE how to balance his game. It is fucking INSANITY. Its shoot everytime down the floor or don't shoot at all. He use to do this perfectly with Shaq...now he fucking UGHHH can't do it. its frustrating as fuck.

-I was all about Artest last offseason. I was wrong. The guy is shooting 10% from 3pt land. TEN PERCENT. Durant isn't even guarding him. OKC has 4 guys just CAMPED in the paint. We RARELY get easy buckets. And whatever Artest has given us on defense, his value is immediately erased on the otherside of the floor.

Without a doubt IMO Ariza woul be shooting 45-50% from 3pt land in these playoffs. He worked with Craig Hodges and REALLY improved his shot. + he was athletic enough to fill a lane and get a BUNCH of easy baskets for us last year. Did you guys see Artest's layup all by his lonesome today? He fucking almost missed it.

When we lose, Phil go take it your $12 mil and stick up your fucking asshole you lazy piece of shit. Refusing to take a paycut FUCKIN SPARE ME. Getting ABSOLUTELY OUTCLASSED by scotty brooks ABOSLUTELY getting shitted on by the rookie playoff coach. Unbelievable...

Final thought:

Fans who think this is another Houston situation where Lakers will just crush them at home got a WHOLE other thing coming to em....just wait until game 5....

:depressed:depressed:depressed:depressed:depressed :depressed

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 01:19 AM
:rolleyes

ezau
04-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Question for Lakers fans: Which is the better team between last year's Rockets and this year's Thunder?

DJ Mbenga
04-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Question for Lakers fans: Which is the better team between last year's Rockets and this year's Thunder?

that rocket team would run circles around the thunder

Capt Bringdown
04-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Is this really such a HUGE upset?

I don't get why this is such a big deal. I made bets with a few friends of mine that OKC will win this series.

Yes, this would be perhaps the biggest upset in NBA playoff history:

Phil Jackson, the all-time NBA title king is 44-0 when his team wins game one of any playoff series.

Only three of 52 eighth-seeded teams have ever pulled an upset against a No. 1 seed

Lakers are the defending champs, thought by many to be the league's premier franchise

Kobe is widely recognized to be the best player in the league, PJ the best coach

Thunder are the youngest team in the league

Looking to the next game, Lakers are 17-0 all time in game 5's after a series is tied 2-2

Put all of this together, and the Thunder is facing a monumental amount of history.

Overcoming all that history and beating the Lakers would be the greatest upset in NBA playoff history IMO.

milkshakeballa
04-25-2010, 01:30 AM
that rocket team would run circles around the thunder

Please. Not with Yao out. This Thunder team is GOOD. DEEP. Harden/Collison/Ibaka/Maynor off the bench.

milkshakeballa
04-25-2010, 01:31 AM

Phil Jackson, the all-time NBA title king is 44-0 when his team wins game one of any playoff series.

Only three of 52 eighth-seeded teams have ever pulled an upset against a No. 1 seed

Lakers are the defending champs, thought by many to be the league's premier franchise

Kobe is widely recognized to be the best player in the league, PJ the best coach

Thunder is the youngest team in the league

Looking to the next game, Lakers are 17-0 all time in game 5's after a series is tied 2-2

Put all of this together, and the Thunder is facing a monumental amount of history.

Overcoming all that history and beating the Lakers would be the greatest upset in NBA playoff history IMO.

With all of that...the Thunder are in just as good as the Lakers. Maybe not AS good bu RIGHT THERE.

midnightpulp
04-25-2010, 01:32 AM

What's with the rollseyes? His take is pretty accurate.

Can't believe the indomitable confidence of some Lakers fans. This is isn't a turn it off, turn it on kind of team. The don't have the talent for such a luxury. They look slow, tired, and out of sync.

Too bad no one else in the West has a frontline that can match-up with the Lakers (maybe that's why you guys are so confident?), or this team would be a super long shot to make it to the Finals.

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 01:33 AM
What's with the rollseyes?

midnightpulp
04-25-2010, 01:40 AM

Let's dispel this myth. Players who rank 15th overall in PER (insert joke here, but it's pretty damn accurate when listing the best players) shouldn't be in the conversation for best player in the league. With the way Kobe's been playing the last two months, he doesn't deserve the fear he once commanded, regardless of his pedigree or reputation.

The Thunder have the best player in this series and they need to realize it and quit playing lip service about Kobe "being the best in the league." He isn't. Not even close. Durant needs to know and have the confidence that he can take whatever scoring tear Kobe might potentially go on and match or surpass it.

For a team to know they have the best player in the series is a huge boon to their confidence. If they're still in awe of Kobe and fear him to an irrational degree, they're going home in 6.

mavsfan1000
04-25-2010, 01:41 AM

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 01:42 AM
tee, hee.

poop
04-25-2010, 01:48 AM

man wasnt aware of all those stats...if OKC wins game 5 it would be HUGE....

N4th4n
04-25-2010, 01:50 AM
What's with the rollseyes? His take is pretty accurate.

He is too stupid do add anything meaningful, so he relies entirely on rote catchphrases and empty symbols.

LakasRool4eva
04-25-2010, 02:03 AM
:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

mogrovejo
04-25-2010, 02:07 AM

Kobe is widely recognized to be the best player in the league , PJ the best coach

LOL

By whom? Honest question. Not even Lakers fans consider him the best player in the league any more. Not even the LA press. Where are you getting those things from? How many Lakers games have you watched this season or in the last one? Kobe isn't even a top-4 player.

And this teams are too close in terms of quality to consider an hypothetical OKC win a big upset, let alone one of the biggest in the history of the NBA. Especially considering how the Lakers finished the season, as the OP points out. Point differential 1st, w/l record 2nd, matchup advantages 3rd are way more important than seeding.

baseline bum
04-25-2010, 02:08 AM

Good for them they're just playing the Lakers and not their history. There's no way this would be a bigger upset than 07. The Thunder are a genuinely good team who can play with anyone in the conference, as opposed to the Warriors who were a typical 8-seed that got destroyed by an average Utah team the next round. The 07 Mavs had 10 more wins than this Lakers team and the 07 Warriors had 8 fewer wins than this far superior Thunder team. As far as I can remember, the 07 Mavs weren't battling any injuries either, while Kobe is braving the worst finger injury in the history of this league.

BanditHiro
04-25-2010, 02:32 AM
Good for them they're just playing the Lakers and not their history. There's no way this would be a bigger upset than 07. The Thunder are a genuinely good team who can play with anyone in the conference, as opposed to the Warriors who were a typical 8-seed that got destroyed by an average Utah team the next round. The 07 Mavs had 10 more wins than this Lakers team and the 07 Warriors had 8 fewer wins than this far superior Thunder team. As far as I can remember, the 07 Mavs weren't battling any injuries either, while Kobe is braving the worst finger injury in the history of this league.

you can't forget Sasha's ankle injury

poop
04-25-2010, 02:43 AM
Sasha...hahaha. can you imagine? this guy is a worthless shmoe by any definition...yet he still is making Millions of dollars and can go out into the LA nightlife and say 'i play for the Lakers' and get tons of top shelf pussy...its just not fair.

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 06:54 AM
He is too stupid do add anything meaningful, so he relies entirely on rote catchphrases and empty symbols.

Though O & 41 is pretty full.

tee, hee.

Capt Bringdown
04-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Good for them they're just playing the Lakers and not their history. There's no way this would be a bigger upset than 07.

I disagree. When considering which would be a bigger upset, it seems reasonable and unavoidable to look at a broader context. LOL, how could you claim x is or is not the greatest upset in NBA playoff history...without considering NBA history? :lol

So the Lakers history (especially their recent history as champs) is relevant. Knocking out the Champion Lakers, Kobe and PJ is a much greater accomplishment than slaying the lowly Mavs IMO. Yes, the Warriors were just a 8th seed flameout, but they were not playoff rookies as the Thunder are. SJAX played an integral part on a Championship team, remember? :lobt2:

easy7
04-25-2010, 10:22 AM
It is one thing to lose in a close game, but someone should have gone to jail for the bitch slapping, booty taking rape, and won't even kiss you that took place in Oklahoma City last night.

TampaDude
04-25-2010, 10:42 AM
It is one thing to lose in a close game, but someone should have gone to jail for the bitch slapping, booty taking rape, and won't even kiss you that took place in Oklahoma City last night.

+1 If there is such a thing as getting curbstomped behind the woodshed, last night's game was it. :lol

HORNSWOGGLE
04-25-2010, 10:55 AM

03 the spurs and lakers were tied 2-2 with spurs coming out in top in game 5

TheMACHINE
04-25-2010, 12:00 PM
the rockets series was wierd. It was like a blow out in every game. Other than game 4 with the thunder, its all been pretty close.

Hard to compare both series imo

LoneStarState'sPride
04-25-2010, 12:23 PM
03 the spurs and lakers were tied 2-2 with spurs coming out in top in game 5

Was gonna say just this, but Hornswoggle beat me to it. Every series in the Spurs' 03 title run went 6, with all but one series being tied at 2 apiece (only exception being the mavs series in the wcf)

Killakobe81
04-25-2010, 02:10 PM
i agre OKC is my 2nd favorite ...remind me of of the glory Sonic years but durant may be better than Payton or Kemp ...

But we should have taken the 3-0 lead when we had the chance it was the Lakers own fault now OKC is confident

Metheny
04-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Let me first say that OKC has been my 2nd favorite team all year. It fucking sucks that they had to play the Lakers and I couldn't root for them. Energy, hustle, athleticism...soooo fun to watch.

Now...

Why is everyone so surprised?

-The Lakers finished the year 3-7

-The Lakers played .500 ball for what - the last month and a half?

-OKC only finished 7 games behind the Lakers

Is this really such a HUGE upset? Maybe if Kobe was healthy (not using this as an excuse) but with this Laker team right now, OKC is RIGHT THERE with them.

They have won 10 of the 16 quarters vs. the Lakers this series.

They are HUNGRIER.

Their strengths play to the Lakers weaknesses to a T.

OKC can't win on the road? They were a shot or a break away from winning game 2. Scott Brooks press conference? "All we gotta do is win ONE in LA." These guys have a swagger and confidence that they are winning game 6 no matter what. The Lakers cannot beat them in OKC in their minds.

Before the series started I honestly thought thats what would have been missing. I didn't think OKC would truly BELIEVE they could beat the Lakers. Looks like the Lakers let them have that belief....

***For the people saying Kobe is trying to prove a point...PLEASE. Stop with the nonsense. Guy is EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE. Would never do that.

IMO he fucking has NO CLUE how to balance his game. It is fucking INSANITY. Its shoot everytime down the floor or don't shoot at all. He use to do this perfectly with Shaq...now he fucking UGHHH can't do it. its frustrating as fuck.

-I was all about Artest last offseason. I was wrong. The guy is shooting 10% from 3pt land. TEN PERCENT. Durant isn't even guarding him. OKC has 4 guys just CAMPED in the paint. We RARELY get easy buckets. And whatever Artest has given us on defense, his value is immediately erased on the otherside of the floor.

Without a doubt IMO Ariza woul be shooting 45-50% from 3pt land in these playoffs. He worked with Craig Hodges and REALLY improved his shot. + he was athletic enough to fill a lane and get a BUNCH of easy baskets for us last year. Did you guys see Artest's layup all by his lonesome today? He fucking almost missed it.

When we lose, Phil go take it your $12 mil and stick up your fucking asshole you lazy piece of shit. Refusing to take a paycut FUCKIN SPARE ME. Getting ABSOLUTELY OUTCLASSED by scotty brooks ABOSLUTELY getting shitted on by the rookie playoff coach. Unbelievable...

Final thought:

Fans who think this is another Houston situation where Lakers will just crush them at home got a WHOLE other thing coming to em....just wait until game 5....

:depressed:depressed:depressed:depressed:depressed :depressed

:lol If the lakers win again youll be back on jackson kobe and now artest's you know what

your funny.

baseline bum
04-25-2010, 04:02 PM
I disagree. When considering which would be a bigger upset, it seems reasonable and unavoidable to look at a broader context. LOL, how could you claim x is or is not the greatest upset in NBA playoff history...without considering NBA history? :lol

So the Lakers history (especially their recent history as champs) is relevant. Knocking out the Champion Lakers, Kobe and PJ is a much greater accomplishment than slaying the lowly Mavs IMO. Yes, the Warriors were just a 8th seed flameout, but they were not playoff rookies as the Thunder are. SJAX played an integral part on a Championship team, remember? :lobt2:

Dallas was 25 wins (more than 30% of a full season!) better than Golden State. I can't think of another single series in NBA history when the favorite was that much better than the underdog and lost. Not even in the old 3 and 5 game series the NBA had back in the day. GS was a pretty weak team that snuck into the playoffs the last day, while OKC has been consistently strong all season.