PDA

View Full Version : The legend of Brandon Roy grows

tlongII
04-25-2010, 01:15 PM
http://media.oregonlive.com/john_canzano_impact/photo/brandon-roy-drive-042410jpg-2a5be915406e2b55_large.jpg
In Game 4, Brandon Roy played 27 minutes eight days after coming back from knee surgery.

For his next trick, Brandon Roy will make it snow in Phoenix. After that, he’s going to part the Willamette River. Then, who knows?

Roy is legend.

Even if Amare Stoudemire and Co. don’t agree.

More on that in a bit.

First, I stood in the Trail Blazers locker room while Roy unwrapped both taped ankles after Portland’ 96-87 victory over Phoenix in Game 4 on Saturday. He also had a giant bag of ice wrapped around each knee. And when the Blazers guard walked across a small pool of water on the wet tile floor beyond his locker, I looked down at his feet.

You know, just to be sure they were actually touching the tiles.

Roy’s gritty and inspired performance eight days after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee is the stuff of legend.

Let’s see. The promise that he would try to play. The series of text-message pleas Roy made to his coach, and team trainer Jay Jensen. The "Rocky" theme music that blared from the public address system when he checked into the game. The clutch shots. The critical victory.

Every bit of it.

Legend.

Roy played 27 minutes, scored 10 points, and gave a city a collective case of the chills. He made the Suns account for him, and they paid dearly for it. Best of all, while it was obvious to anyone watching that he was not quite himself, Roy showed rare restraint for an NBA star and didn’t attempt to do a single thing that he wasn’t capable of pulling off.

Blazers assistant Dean Demopoulos said after the game, “He’s the best I’ve ever been around.” And owner Paul Allen, who was consulted pre-game on the decision, walked down the hallway and out of the arena with a delighted and wonderous look in his eye. And teammate Jerryd Bayless, whose locker is beside Roy’s, leaned in to me after the game so his star neighbor couldn’t hear him and said, “I told him before tipoff, ‘Brandon, I don’t know if you should do this.’

“Then, he went and ended up being huge for us.”

Stoudemire?

Unimpressed, of course.

“Roy really didn’t affect us. He wasn’t the difference at all. We just didn’t bring the effort," the Suns' big man said. That thought was backed up by coach Alvin Gentry, who pointed out that the only regular-season victory the Suns had over Portland was game Roy played in. And Channing Frye --- you’d think HE, most of all, would know better --- said of Roy, “I think it’s just another player for them.”

Now, it’s true that Roy isn’t going to save the series for Portland by himself. And it’s also true that Roy was summoned by coach Nate McMillan to check into the game in the first quarter and watched while sitting on the floor by the scorer’s table as his teammates ripped off a 9-2 run without him and took the lead. And it’s further true that Bayless' killer energy was a boost, and LaMarcus Aldridge apparently does not like to be called soft and responded with a hardcore 31-point, 11-rebound, Game 4 performance.

Yes, it’s true --- the magic came from everywhere, not just Roy on Saturday. But damn, isn’t what happened at the Rose Garden a case of sport doing exactly what it’s supposed to do? And isn’t there reasonable doubt that the Blazers would have won the game without Roy on the floor? And don’t the Suns sound like a pack of suckers for remaining non-believers in the wake of the Game 4?

That fine moment when Roy checked into the game on Saturday undeniably lifted the Blazers. It raised a city to its feet. In fact, as Roy sauntered onto the scene, I scanned press row at the line of sourpuss media who have covered decades of basketball and think they’ve seen it all (myself included) and I saw something I’ve not ever seen before.

Smiles.

This was theater at its finest, baby.

Nevermind the ignorant TNT broadcast team that questioned at halftime why the Blazers would dare risk Roy’s health with such a crazy move. Nevermind the cries through the television of, “You just don’t jeopardize the face of the franchise!” Nevermind them all, because how can you know who Roy is and what he means to the franchise if all you’ve seen of him has come through a studio monitor?

In the recovery room, post-surgery, Roy shocked everyone when he held his leg up for all to see, bent it at the knee, and said, “Look, I have full range of motion already.” That evening, he walked up a flight of stairs at his house, pain-free. And within a couple of days, Roy was on the treadmill, had no swelling, and passed every strength test the team threw at him.

Then, he started begging to play.

You may already know Roy is tough. You may even know that Roy shocked everyone by coming back prematurely from a far more serious knee surgery his junior year at the University of Washington. That time, Roy popped into the second half of an upset of then-No. 12 North Carolina State just three weeks post-surgery and scored 10 points. But what you probably don’t know is that Roy refused all pain medication post-surgery.

Trainer Jensen said: “He took no medication.”

I know. I know.

We’re used to professional athletes playing it safe with their bodies. The world of athletics is filled with men who wouldn’t dare come back a day before anyone expected them to be present. It’s not about risking injury most of the time, it’s simply about not wanting to look bad while people are watching and you're not at your best.

Roy isn’t afraid.

So maybe the Suns should be.

DPG21920
04-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Amare is scared of Roy. Just another player for them? Get real sons.

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 01:20 PM
If you succeed in beating those humps, t, I'll kiss your naked ass in the intersection of Burnside & Sandy Blvd.

This I vow.

MateoNeygro
04-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Brandon Roy is a fucking beast. Only a true no guts no glory player goes out 8 days later and helps his team upset a very talented team in the Suns. Nice job Roy you are one of my favorite players, however if the Spurs meet ya'll down the road. I will disown you until the end of the season. If the Trailblazers play and beat us. I will dislike them all forever. With that being said. Nice work Roy you tough sumbitch.

lil_penny
04-25-2010, 01:24 PM
If you succeed in beating those humps, t, I'll kiss your naked ass in the intersection of Burnside & Sandy Blvd.

This I vow.

Bwhahaha

tlongII
04-25-2010, 01:29 PM
That game was UNBEAVABLE! Probably the best atmosphere of any game I've been to.

jestersmash
04-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Roy's competitive fire reminds me a lot of Ginobili's competitive fire. They are very similar players, both talent-wise and in terms of competitive edge.

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Roy's competitive fire reminds me a lot of Ginobili's competitive fire. They are very similar players, both talent-wise and in terms of competitive edge.

:rolleyes

Xylus
04-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Amare is scared of Roy. Just another player for them? Get real sons.

Why would Amare be scared of Roy? It's not like he'll have to guard him at any point during the series.

As for Roy's health, I think he's taking a huge risk coming back only a week after surgery. Hopefully it doesn't affect him in the long run.

DPG21920
04-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Why would Amare be scared of Roy? It's not like he'll have to guard him at any point during the series.

As for Roy's health, I think he's taking a huge risk coming back only a week after surgery. Hopefully it doesn't affect him in the long run.

When players are blatantly dishonest about things, it means they are scared usually.

Who cares he actually guards him? He is scared of what Roy brings to the table and calling Roy just another player is something Amare has to do in order to hype himself up.

symple19
04-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Very impressed with Roy and his commitment to both his team and winning. Everybody should want a guy like that. I'm a fan

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 02:35 PM
As for Roy's health, I think he's taking a huge risk coming back only a week after surgery.

X, getting his Swingman on.

Yer adorable.

Xylus
04-25-2010, 02:39 PM
When players are blatantly dishonest about things, it means they are scared usually.

Who cares he actually guards him? He is scared of what Roy brings to the table and calling Roy just another player is something Amare has to do in order to hype himself up.

The only effect Roy really had on the game was the emotional boost he gave the home crowd. Aldridge's huge performance and the Suns' lack of energy were what carried the Blazers to victory, not Roy's 10 points 40% shooting, and that's what Amare is saying.

Channing Frye's the one who said that Roy's just another player for them. Amare was commenting on the game itself.

Anyway, this article is one big sensational piece of crap, obviously written by a Blazers fan who can't keep his/her homerism in check.

DPG21920
04-25-2010, 02:40 PM
^ You are right. I thought it was Amare who said that. Frye saying something like that makes sense.

Xylus
04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
^ You are right. I thought it was Amare who said that. Frye saying something like that makes sense.

Roy is obviously not "just another player for them." I'm not sure why Frye said that. Because Frye really is just another player for us.

ShoogarBear
04-25-2010, 03:08 PM
That game was UNBEAVABLE! Probably the best atmosphere of any game I've been to.

Did you go to the game before that? I understand the atmosphere there was UNBEAVABLE, too.

mogrovejo
04-25-2010, 03:13 PM
1. I think Roy impacted the game more than it looks like. Phoenix wasn't as comfortable doubling Miller and LMA as in the past 2 games.

2. It's a small meniscus tear, it's not like he's playing 8 days after an ACL surgery.

3. The Blazers are my favourites to win the West next season.

Now every thread must have some post about the Spurs and how good they are?

tlongII
04-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Did you go to the game before that? I understand the atmosphere there was UNBEAVABLE, too.

Thankfully not.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-25-2010, 03:26 PM

It was a pretty benign comparison, in my opinion. Considering the games both of them just came off of, it's to be expected (and no, I'm not insinuating that knee surgery is the same as a broken nose).

This is a Spurs site, after all.

jestersmash
04-25-2010, 03:28 PM
1. I think Roy impacted the game more than it looks like. Phoenix wasn't as comfortable doubling Miller and LMA as in the past 2 games.

2. It's a small meniscus tear, it's not like he's playing 8 days after an ACL surgery.

3. The Blazers are my favourites to win the West next season.

This is spurstalk.com I honestly have no idea what you expect. What a useless comment. You can continue to be annoyed at the recent influx of "non-NBA forum veteran" posters from the spurs board. I think it's hilarious that you take such issue with it as evidenced by a slew of your recent posts.

mogrovejo
04-25-2010, 03:33 PM
This is spurstalk.com I honestly have no idea what you expect. What a useless comment. You can continue to be annoyed at the recent influx of "non-NBA forum veteran" posters from the spurs board. I think it's hilarious that you take such issue with it as evidenced by a slew of your recent posts.

SO because this is Spurstalk you have to write about Spurs players in every thread, even those that aren't even slightly related to the Spurs? And by write I mean lick their balls. Is that it?

pauls931
04-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I sometimes wonder if God punishes Tlong by injuring Portland players...

LoneStarState'sPride
04-25-2010, 03:38 PM
SO because this is Spurstalk you have to write about Spurs players in every thread, even those that aren't even slightly related to the Spurs? And by write I mean lick their balls. Is that it?

Jesus, you have issues.

One germane comparison between the player in a thread title and a Spurs player, portraying them both in a favorable light, is enough to send you over the edge?

jestersmash
04-25-2010, 03:40 PM

The sheer elitism in a good 60%+ of your recent posts is laughable. Nobody gives a shit about your "veteran status" circle jerks with other "NBA forum veterans" here. I'd be willing to bet that a number of those other "veterans" also probably secretly find your annoyance to such petty matters to be pretty immature and laughable as well, but they'd never call you out on it, they want to remain in the "club," after all.

Here's what you can and can't do -

You can't prevent the influx of spurs message board members onto this board, nor should you expect any different.

You can, however, suck my balls and continue to bitch and moan about fans who are so "beneath" you that they aren't worth your time you arrogant piece of shit.

Your analyses aren't are as mind blowingly clever and correct as you think. I've seen plenty of subjective rabble supported by weak statistical correlation from you. The difference is, I don't consider other posters "beneath me" because of it (and because I'm no better).

mogrovejo
04-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Jesus, you have issues.

One germane comparison between the player in a thread title and a Spurs player, portraying them both in a favorable light, is enough to send you over the edge?

It's the pattern, stupid.

mogrovejo
04-25-2010, 03:41 PM
The sheer elitism in a good 60%+ of your recent posts is laughable. Nobody gives a shit about your "veteran status" circle jerks with other "NBA forum veterans" here. I'd be willing to bet that a number of those other "veterans" also probably secretly find your annoyance to such petty matters to be pretty immature and laughable as well, but they'd never call you out on it, they want to remain in the "club," after all.

You can't prevent the influx of spurs message board members onto this board, nor should you expect any different.

You can, however, suck my balls and continue to bitch and moan about fans who are so "beneath" you that they aren't worth your time you arrogant piece of shit.

Your analyses aren't are as mind blowingly clever and correct as you think. I've seen plenty of subjective rabble supported by weak statistical correlation from you. The difference is, I don't consider other posters "beneath me" because of it (and because I'm no better).

So, you can't really explain the purpose of your post?

LoneStarState'sPride
04-25-2010, 03:57 PM
It's the pattern, stupid.

The pattern of Spurs fans talking about Spurs players on a Spurs message board (no, I don't care that it says "nba forum" after the hyphen). Got it, thanks, brain donor.

lefty
04-25-2010, 03:59 PM
At least they are not suddenly "injured" when their team is being c-stomped

(hint: Kobe bryant)

Jose Canseco
04-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Good thing Brandon came to me and my people to help him with his rehab.

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 04:42 PM
At least they are not suddenly "injured" when their team is being c-stomped

(hint: Kobe bryant)

Will Hunting
04-25-2010, 04:54 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao

Boom, ROASTED!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Frye saying something like that makes sense.

The way fuckmunch Frye played yesterday he shouldn't be saying anything.....it's a bad sign that Frye is saying this stuff when he should be worried about his garbage performance so far this series.

lil_penny
04-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Is frye still butthurt he had to stir gatorade for us? He should be grateful he got the invite for the big al's bowling night with the team last year, and that phoenix was kind enough to get him some playing time. Shut up and work on helping your team out you soft sack of shit.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Is frye still butthurt he had to stir gatorade for us? He should be grateful he got the invite for the big al's bowling night with the team last year, and that phoenix was kind enough to get him some playing time. Shut up and work on helping your team out you soft sack of shit.

All Frye's been able to talk about lately is that he's declining his player option and expects a pay day. If he wants a pay day so badly he should try to box Juwan Howard out and in general be more on defense than a plastic fuck doll Portland can abuse.

But then again, he spaces the floor for Stevie Turnover, so he's valuable!

lil_penny
04-25-2010, 05:13 PM
All Frye's been able to talk about lately is that he's declining his player option and expects a pay day. If he wants a pay day so badly he should try to box Juwan Howard out and in general be more on defense than a plastic fuck doll Portland can abuse.

But then again, he spaces the floor for Stevie Turnover, so he's valuable!

Seriously he was such a frustrating player on portland I can only imagine how you guys feel... he stood a foot in front of the 3pt line all day and now he's behind it but hasn't done anything else to try to work on his game lol..

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Most people here love him because in Phoenix everyone loves those one dimensional douche bags who fit perfectly in the run & fun (& lose) offense but suck at everything else (Barbosa, Frye, Nash), and the fact he's a local kid lets him get away with being a lazy pussy. I hope when he opts out of his contract some other team falls in love with his 3 point shooting and signs him.

lil_penny
04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Most people here love him because in Phoenix everyone loves those one dimensional douche bags who fit perfectly in the run & fun (& lose) offense but suck at everything else (Barbosa, Frye, Nash), and the fact he's a local kid lets him get away with being a lazy pussy. I hope when he opts out of his contract some other team falls in love with his 3 point shooting and signs him.

He was good for the community but that was about it lol.. goldenstate will gladly take him off your hands

tlongII
04-25-2010, 06:55 PM
_syeaAB1LEY