PDA

View Full Version : Series is far from over

midnightpulp
04-25-2010, 09:16 PM
I ain't a pussy frontrunner like Laker fans, so no shit talking from me. This series is far from over and the Mavs still have a very good chance to steal this series.

Why?

1. They have two remaining games at home. A 3-1 lead isn't as insurmountable when you have two more potential home games in your back pocket. All Dallas has to do is win Game 5 and steal one in Game 6. Not an impossible feat.

2. Dirk. The ultimate Spur killer (Kobe is JV compared to this guy when it comes to giving the Spurs problems). Still no answer for him, despite his mediocre showing today.

3. Tim Duncan. I knew the Tim Duncan we saw today would show up eventually, or more accurately, that his knee problems would show up eventually. Those knees were obviously bothering him. No speed or lift, everything he threw up was hitting the front of the rim today. If Duncan's knees continue to affect him, this series suddenly becomes 50/50 despite the 3-1 lead.

4. Manu. 4-16. Don't care how tough he is or perceived to be. A newly broken nose will affect anyone's play. Breathing's affected, and depth perception and eye sight could also be. If he can't get back to playing like he was, the Spurs could be in for a rude awakening.

5. George Hill. If the big 3 have another off night, will he be able to carry the slack? I love his game, but I have my doubts. Don't see him going for 29 again.

Spurs are in the driver's seat, but this thing could easily turn into a wreck. Can't take anything for granted.

badfish22
04-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Its really hard to beat a team coached by Pop 3 times in a row. Especially if the other team is coached by Carlisle.

Giuseppe
:rolleyes

picc84
1. Kobe has been 3x the spurskiller Dirk has.
2. Manu and Duncan shooting that horribly and the Spurs still winning should scare the shit out of you.
3. George Hill will continue to go off just because its against the Mavs, and God hates you.
4. lol Carlisle
5. lol Kidd needing to be wide open to even attempt a shot

MannyIsGod
04-25-2010, 09:20 PM
The fuck? Its over. OVER.

dav4463
04-25-2010, 09:26 PM
I agree. If Spurs play like it's over; then we have trouble. It's all on San Antonio now. Get that killer instinct and step on their throat and finish this thing off in Dallas.

poop
04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
im not saying shit until the spurs get win number 4.

theres still alot that can happen....

midnightpulp
2. Manu and Duncan shooting that horribly and the Spurs still winning should scare the shit out of you.
3. George Hill will continue to go off just because its against the Mavs, and God hates you.
4. lol Carlisle

Seems like you think I'm a Mavs fan? Unless you're addressing badfish.

Anyhow, I fear Dirk a lot more than Kobe. Kobe's Spur killer status is grossly overblown, mostly by Laker fans who can only seem to recall 01 and 08. In the 3 peat days, the focus was Shaq, Shaq, Shaq. Kobe was able to destroy a perimeter D consisting of Terry Porter, Steve Smith, Antonio Daniels, etc in 01, but once Bowen came along, he held Kobe around his season averages. In 08, Bowen was past his prime and Kobe excelled. Dirk has eviscerated a prime Spurs perimeter again and again while Kobe was missing the playoffs and losing in the first round.

Dirk, however, was always the number one option and has never had the luxury of a dominant post presence. No Shaq, no Gasol, no Bynum. He literally does everything for the Mavs and imposes his will on the Spurs like no player I've ever seen.

poop
im not saying shit until the spurs get win number 4.

theres still alot that can happen....

Biggems
04-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Spurs killers

1. Kobe
2. Fisher
3. Maybe Dirk

picc84
04-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Seems like you think I'm a Mavs fan? Unless you're addressing badfish.

Anyhow, I fear Dirk a lot more than Kobe. Kobe's Spur killer status is grossly overblown, mostly by Laker fans who can only seem to recall 01 and 08. In the 3 peat days, the focus was Shaq, Shaq, Shaq. Kobe was able to destroy a perimeter D consisting of Terry Porter, Steve Smith, Antonio Daniels, etc in 01, but once Bowen came along, he held Kobe around his season averages. In 08, Bowen was past his prime and Kobe excelled. Dirk has eviscerated a prime Spurs perimeter again and again while Kobe was missing the playoffs and losing in the first round.

2006 = time and time again? :lol kobe >>>> dirk as spurkiller

I did think you were a mavs fan though...nm on that.

MannyIsGod
04-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Its over.

Shastafarian
04-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Remember 2006? Yeah, I do. Series isn't over.

Cry Havoc
04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
This series is over. It's not like the Spurs have been lucky in beating the Mavs. They've out-executed Dallas. Sure, when the Mavs jumpers are going down at a 65% clip they look unstoppable. Otherwise, it's been all San Antonio.

A team relying on JJ Barea to score in the clutch for them will never be a factor in the playoffs, except to tell the non-eliminated teams how the fish are biting.

Shank
04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Is it over if Joey Crawford is in town for Game 5?

VBM
Role players make shots at home (see James Harden). Spurs better bring it in Game 5...Dallas, believe it or not, does have some pride.

Budkin
Spurs killers

1. Kobe
2. Fisher
3. Maybe Dirk

The two biggest Spur killers the Mavs ever had were Josh Howard and Devin Harris. Dirk just set up the horrible matchups. I guess I'd throw in Jason Terry there... he still scares the hell outta me every time he spots up for the 3.

midnightpulp
04-25-2010, 09:36 PM
2006 = time and time again? :lol kobe >>>> dirk as spurkiller

I did think you were a mavs fan though...nm on that.

06 might as well count for two, the way he played in that series. He also played well in 03 before he went down. But I was also referring to regular season as well. That's why (before this series) the Spurs were like 2-10 or something against the Mavs.

Kobe's not the match up problem for the Spurs we they have played the Lakers in the past (aside from 01 when the perimeter was garbage), it's either Shaq who commanded both Robinson's and Duncan's attention, or the tandem of Gasol and Bynum.

picc84
04-25-2010, 09:38 PM
06 might as well count for two, the way he played in that series. He also played well in 03 before he went down. But I was also referring to regular season as well. That's why (before this series) the Spurs were like 2-10 or something against the Mavs.

:rollin

Kobe's not the match up problem for the Spurs we they have played the Lakers in the past (aside from 01 when the perimeter was garbage), it's either Shaq who commanded both Robinson's and Duncan's attention, or the tandem of Gasol and Bynum.

:lmao

8FOR!3
04-25-2010, 09:38 PM
He's right, we're still a day in a half from Tuesday! ;D

DAF86
04-25-2010, 09:41 PM
A very wise man once said: "anything can happen!"

So stay humble my friends.

midnightpulp
04-25-2010, 09:44 PM
:rollin

:lmao

I know you homers love Kobe to an irrational degree, thinking he's Jordan, Babe Ruth, and Jesus Christ all rolled into one, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think Shaq was one of the main reasons Kobe was able to do what he did back then.

Dirk has never had the luxury to play off a dominant (or even half way decent) post presence.

DPG21920
04-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Odds are that the Spurs will win, but it is not over. Mavs have the ability to get scorching hot. Spurs can get very cold. It Tim is out of gas, the Spurs will struggle.

siraulo23
04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I know its not over

But wtf man, are you a mavs fan or a spurs fan?

Brazil
04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Spurs fans saying its over make me nervous.

We have to respect Dallas they have a hell of a team, they can blow out game 5 if SAS is not focused and steal the game 6. Then a game 7 is a lottery.

it is not over.

EmptyMan
04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Nah, it's over.

Brazil
04-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Nah, it's over.
:bang
see?
now I'm nervous

DPG21920
04-25-2010, 09:55 PM
I am worried about Tim. It is highly unlikely the Spurs survive another performance like this from him.

Roxsfan
04-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Mavs have a 4.5% chance at winning or said the other way, a 95.5% chance at failing.

Stringer_Bell
04-25-2010, 09:57 PM
My worry is that we will win the battle, but lose the war because the Mavs will start playing dirty to hurt us instead of accepting a Game 6 defeat with dignity. If they go fucking with us to the point where it can affect us next round, damn, I don't even wanna think about it. :(

tlongII
04-25-2010, 10:04 PM
It's over. Spurs won't get past the 2nd round though.

MannyIsGod
04-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Its over. How does it feel Mavfan?

rayray2k8
04-25-2010, 10:06 PM
A spurs fan has more faith in the mavs then the majority of the mav fans?
Pretty sad.
But I can see why this poster would say such a thing. Happened to the spurs when they were down 3-1, but things are very different.
I'm sure Pop will serve them a reminder.

Pero
04-25-2010, 10:37 PM
We do it all the time.

?

DPG21920
04-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Not over. Looking good, but no over.

admiralsnackbar
04-25-2010, 10:44 PM

Of course it is. I think you're a solid poster, but you have to concede that the odds of the Spurs dropping three in a row after winning one with what amounts to their bench seem very, very slim... regardless of officiating. Stranger things have happened, but you guys are in a really bad spot.

jestersmash
04-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I am worried about Tim. It is highly unlikely the Spurs survive another performance like this from him.

Tim isn't the one who you should worry about. He's proven time and time again that he can consistently be counted on to produce in the playoffs. He's not a streaky player by any means.

It's Ginobili who you should worry about. The nice thing about Ginobili is even when he's shooting like horse shit, he can still produce in other ways. He did have that tremendously clutch 3 pointer late in the 4th when we needed it, but we're not going to survive past the 2nd round period if he doesn't achieve at least a 16-18, 5, 5 game with 50% shooting. The 50% shooting is sort of the key, here. We don't need him going off for 30 anymore, we just need consistency.

2 great games and 2 terrible (shooting) games so far is not looking very good right about now, and the annoying bandaged fractured nose likely doesn't help him.

admiralsnackbar
04-25-2010, 10:46 PM
My worry is that we will win the battle, but lose the war because the Mavs will start playing dirty to hurt us instead of accepting a Game 6 defeat with dignity. If they go fucking with us to the point where it can affect us next round, damn, I don't even wanna think about it. :(

I hate to admit I've had this thought, myself.

Then again, we played nothing but dirty teams in the West in 2005 and made out alright. One can only hope things go so well again.

sribb43
04-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Mavs will push it to 7, only to be up 20 in the 2nd half blow the lead and keep shooting jumpshots to get back in the game only to fail...

admiralsnackbar
04-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Mavs will push it to 7, only to be up 20 in the 2nd half blow the lead and keep shooting jumpshots to get back in the game only to fail...

You won't have to wait that long.

TinTin
04-25-2010, 11:00 PM
When have the mavs ever been considered a dirty team. Watching Najera sold it for you huh. :sleep

admiralsnackbar
04-25-2010, 11:03 PM
When have the mavs ever been considered a dirty team. Watching Najera sold it for you huh. :sleep

For me, it was Terry's nut-punch.

gm5k
04-25-2010, 11:46 PM
4. lol Carlisle

this post is epic :rollin

Mori Chu
04-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Mavs are done. They might win Game 5 out of pride, but no way this goes more than 6. I'm as shocked as anyone; the Spurs played possum all year far better than I thought they were capable of. All those injuries, and age catching up with them... none of it mattered. They're still extremely dangerous. Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion. Especially a 4-time champion.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 03:40 AM
I agree.

People were overrating the Mavs because they were winning tons of close games + underrating the Spurs because they were losing tons of close games.

They were obviously wrong.

The same is happening now - people being wrong by overrating the importance of some close wins and not seeing the larger picture. The Spurs aren't exactly dominating the series - they're winning close games and, IMO, because Carlisle is giving them away. But just like they won 3 games in a row, the Mavs are absolutely capable of doing the same.

I-Ball
04-26-2010, 04:04 AM
yes. it ain't over till the fat lady sings. but reality has to be accepted.
and the reality is that the spurs defense is much more consistent than the mavs offense throughout this series.

i expect a mavs win in game 6 at home. but as long carlise sticks with the 3 guard-line up (JJ, Jet, Kidd), i don't see 3 wins in a row for the mavs. less offense and defense from 1-3 compared to a real/more traditional line up.

really, what sense makes it to have kidd on the court when barea is dribbling the ball nonstop up and down the court?

ezau
04-26-2010, 09:03 AM
it's not over. In 2006, I thought the Spurs were done after falling down 1-3.

sribb43
04-26-2010, 09:07 AM
it's not over. In 2006, I thought the Spurs were done after falling down 1-3.

I think spurs caught a break when jet got suspended for game 6 for punching Fin. Barring an injury or suspension to SA, most likely this ends in 6

TampaDude
04-26-2010, 10:10 AM
The Mavs have never come back from a 3-1 series deficit...EVER.

First time for everything, though...you gotta win 4 of 7 to advance.

Spurs better go after this like the series is tied. No let ups, or they'll be sorry.

My prediction: Mavs win Game 5 easily, then the Spurs close it out in Game 6. Spurs in 6. :hat

TampaDude
04-26-2010, 10:13 AM

I'm not so sure Joey C. is gonna ref Game 5...he is reffing the Portland @ Phoenix game tonight. I don't think crew chiefs work back-to-backs in the playoffs, do they? Maybe Stern is saving the hosejob for Game 6. :lol