PDA

View Full Version : I'll be the first to admit this Laker team doesn't look like NBA champions

DazedAndConfused
04-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Granted they didn't really look like champions at times last postseason, this year it's pretty obvious they just aren't the same team they were last year.

The offense is significantly worse. Artest has brought in a much needed defensive stopper, but he pretty much negates those positives with his horrendous shooting and ball stopping ways on offense. The most alarming thing I see is a lack of heart, hustle, and drive. Watching the Lakers in Game 4 it was pretty disheartening to see them consistently getting beat to loose balls and rebounds. You could tell they had given up midway through the 3rd quarter. There is something peculiar about this team, it's almost as if they enjoy being pushed to the brink. They don't want to exert the effort they need unless they absolutely have to. The problem is they aren't as good as they were last year and playing this game is bound to backfire on them at some point.

I'm still going to root for this team and hold out hope that they will find that extra gear and motivation at some point during the playoffs, but deep inside there is a gut feeling that this team just doesn't have it this year.

Lars
04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
What are you talking about? Every serious basketball fan in America has been admitting this since the all star break.

midnightpulp
04-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Nice analysis.

This years Lakers reminds a bit of 08 Spurs. A battle tested team that's worn out due to long consecutive playoff runs and an ailing star (Manu then, Kobe now).

They also have no bench.

Your frontline is so strong however, it's gonna be tough for any other team in the West (all have undersized frontlines by traditional standards) to knock you guys off. I hate the way the Spurs match up with them.

Don't see the Lakers beating the Cavs or the Magic, though.

Otaku
04-25-2010, 09:57 PM
What are you talking about? Every serious basketball fan in the whole f'n world has been admitting this since the all star break.

Fixed :downspin:

picc84
04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Artest and Fisher are the biggest reasons for the offensive futility. Kobe also lately. If he was playing at his level from even last year, we would be fine. Unfortunately he looks like a microshell of the player he once was.

Hard to win games when your players just can't shoot. Its as simple as that.

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Don't see the Lakers beating the Cavs or the Magic, though.

Good, cuz they ain't gonna be there.

ginobili's bald spot
04-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Any Laker fan who didn't see this coming either doesn't watch the games or is just a complete homer. This team has some major problems. Our backcourt sucks. Kobe is getting washed up fast and is nowhere near what he used to be and Fisher is absolutely fucking atrocious in every way. Our bench has been getting progressively worse for the past couple of years because of all the cost cutting moves we have made in that area. The Fisher and the bench problems I expected before the season. I knew it was just a matter of time before those things came back to bite us. I was just hoping we could hold it off for one more year. The Kobe situation is a disappointment though. Hopefully next year he can get his fingers healthy he can have a couple more good years but I don't know anymore. He has just lost so much athleticism. He is constantly getting his shots blocked.

4>0rings
04-25-2010, 10:09 PM
In other words, saw the Spurs game and is now currently shitting pants.

ginobili's bald spot
04-25-2010, 10:12 PM
In other words, saw the Spurs game and is now currently shitting pants.

Thanks for your valuable insight :rolleyes

jestersmash
04-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Spurs certainly don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning a championship, based on how they look now, either.

Sad to say, this is the east's year. I was sort of counting on the Suns to make some noise out of the west, but I'm not entirely sure who out of the Suns, Lakers, or Utah will represent the West this year.

In any case, I can't see either of those teams beating the Magic or Cavs.

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Spurs certainly don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning a championship, based on how they look now, either.

Please. If we go the Spurs are the only team that's come out of the West in like a coon's age. And they're more or less intact from their last ringage.

midnightpulp
04-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Please. If we go the Spurs are the only team that's come out of the West in like a coon's age. And they're more or less intact from their last ringage.

How I wish. I love our perimeter depth, but the frontline leaves something to be desired. Blair is a great energy guy and rebounder but is too small to really pose any kind of problem to Gasol or Bynum. And unlike the Thunder, the Spurs don't have the athletes to make up for their lack of size inside. They'll get killed on the boards against the Lakers. Duncan is the only legit bigman on the Spurs and he can't handle Bynum/Gasol by himself.

picc84
04-25-2010, 10:32 PM
If the Lakers can't win it all i'm going for the Spurs or Magic. Or Jazz.

Really, anyone but the Thuggets, Cavs, and Divas in Green.

jestersmash
04-25-2010, 10:32 PM

How the might have fallen, eh. Lakers and Spurs certainly enjoyed a consistent iron-clad dominance over the past decade. Sad to see that both teams have somewhat fallen from their past glory.

If not the spurs, I secretly go for the "Fakers" every year just out of mutual respect for our Western co-dominance of years late. Obviously there is healthy rivalry-induced trash talk over the regular season, but I secretly respect the team (after the Spurs, of course).

Even if the Spurs somehow managed to make it to the Finals (not happening), we'd be absolutely unequivocally demolished inside by Howard. We have literally no size, we were going into panic mode about potentially facing the Lakers first round due to Bynum coming back.

Right now, I'm seeing Spurs extending a series against the Suns to 6, at best. Ginobili has shown phenomenal offensive inconsistency for the second straight game. If he doesn't prove that these two games have been mere anomalies rather than regression towards the mean, Spurs are in for a 2nd round exit.

Banzai
04-25-2010, 10:34 PM
If Lakers don't make it far..I'm rooting for West teams.

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 10:36 PM
How I wish. I love our perimeter depth, but the frontline leaves something to be desired. Blair is a great energy guy and rebounder but is too small to really pose any kind of problem to Gasol or Bynum. And unlike the Thunder, the Spurs don't have the athletes to make up for their lack of size inside. They'll get killed on the boards against the Lakers. Duncan is the only legit bigman on the Spurs and he can't handle Bynum/Gasol by himself.

That's why I said: "if we go"...in other words if OKC or Utah dispatches us, it's cake work for you until the Finals. Even then only Boston is mentally equipped to end you.

jestersmash
04-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Agreed, there's a strict tier-based protocol that goes on in terms of determining who one "roots for" in the playoffs. If not your team, then your arch enemy (paradoxically, or maybe it's just me). If not your arch enemy, then your conference.

kamikazi_player
04-25-2010, 10:37 PM
If Lakers don't make it far..I'm rooting for West teams.
I hope either Orlando, Phoenix or Cleveland to win the championship if the Spurs are done.

Giuseppe
04-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Once the Lakers are no longer eligible, I'll see the Suns at O & 42 and then rest my head. It's inconsequential thereafter.

Jacob1983
04-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Have the Lakers ever gone out in the 1st round as the defending champs?

z0sa
04-25-2010, 11:52 PM
What are you talking about? Every serious basketball fan in America has been admitting this since the all star break.

:lol

You're more like the last to admit, GayAndAbused

NewJerSpur
04-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Never count the Lakers out until they're done, especially after last year. That said, the fact that Sasha and Walton aren't contributing added to Ron's offensive woes doesn't bode well for LA moving forward. Shannon Brown's also got to stop chucking if the Lakers are going to be making another run.

SAtown
04-25-2010, 11:55 PM

You're more like the last to admit, GayAndAbused

:lmao

Mori Chu
04-26-2010, 03:32 AM
Once the Lakers are no longer eligible, I'll see the Suns at O & 42 and then rest my head. It's inconsequential thereafter.

Cubby, you magnificent bastard. Things not looking so rosy for either of our teams, eh? I'd still rather be in your shoes. You got a bunch of wet behind the ears kids nipping at your heels, but they can't win outside of their own arena. If it gets to a Game 7 in LA, it'll be so loud, so much pressure, they'll wet their pants 'n you folks will advance. My Suns, on the other hand, basically have to win their Game 5 to have any chance to beat a hobbled Blazer team. It just shows that if you play sweltering defense, anybody can beat the Suns (sadly).

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Hey, Mori, I ain't that magnificent. Just special & important (tee, hee).

Nope, not rosy at all. Though I was shocked when you guys lost Game Four. Portland has always been lethal for both of us so you best be careful, take your time and do it right.

Kobe's on the rag again for us. F'in guy. A PITA. & we don't have the refs babysitting us for some damn reason. It's been like that with the refs since about a month back. I have no confidence in this series.

VivaPopovich
04-26-2010, 06:44 AM
I am no Laker fan but you guys need to take things one at a time

Laker fans are obsessing over championship or no championship. And I think thats the general mindset of the Laker players also

Just focus on winning Game 5. Period

The biggest issue here is Kobe's broken shooting finger. For the first time, he has an injury that he can't just play through. This isn't something that toughness and practice will fix. It is a reality, and it has effected his shooting and it will continue to

Kobe needs to strike a compromise with Phil where he can play in a way that makes him happy but not go 10/29. Why is he taking so many shots when he is shooting so poorly? No amount of assists justifies 10/29 shooting when you know your shooting poorly

He needs to go out and go for 15-20 assists and be happy with it, not intentionally hold back just to prove the Lakers need him to dominate to win

Capt Bringdown
04-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Having been burned before, I think it best to celebrate the Lakers demise when they are actually dead.

They don't call it the second season for nothing. There will be highs and lows. The Lakers didn't look great in every game last year, yet they're the champions.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 06:51 AM
Having been burned before, I think it best to celebrate the Lakers demise when they are actually dead.

They don't call it the second season for nothing. There will be highs and lows. The Lakers didn't look great in every game last year, yet they're the champions.

Plus, "Kobe is widely recognized as the best player in the game".

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Why is he taking so many shots when he is shooting so poorly? No amount of assists justifies 10/29 shooting when you know your shooting poorly

Because nobody else on the team can hit open shots.

Jackson & Bryant are hoping against hope that he'll go on some kind of tear and save this series.

The margin for error in this series is now razor thin and we're six deep for Christ sakes.

We need either one of two things to happen: (1)Kobe to get scalding hot. (2)the refs to come back to us.

We may even need both (1) & (2) to advance out of this nightmare.

ezau
04-26-2010, 08:44 AM
The Lakers don't look too dominant, but there's absolutely no way that the Thunder will beat them in this series. I still see them finishing these kids in 6 and move on to the second round.

TheManFromAcme
04-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Lakers deserve all tbe scrutiny they're getting. Should they lose this series, that's what they get. Plain and simple. They would have been beaten by a team with pure, unadulterated, crystal clear..... heart and hustle. Silly for anyone who picked these current Laker squad to sweep them. I know I didn't. Looks the experienced ones could take a lesson from the young ones. Should the Lakers pull out of this series, they are mince meat and not just by Cleveland. They have been caca these last couple of months. Absolutely CACA.

Still rooting for them of course, but the writing on the wall for these fellas was seen 2 months ago.

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 11:31 AM
"they are mince meat and not just by Cleveland."

If we were to get there, Cleveland sure as Hell wouldn't be waiting.

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 11:37 AM
The Lakers don't look too dominant, but there's absolutely no way that the Thunder will beat them in this series. I still see them finishing these kids in 6 and move on to the second round.

I'm so relieved after reading this, Ez, that I'm like close to tears.

FkLA
04-26-2010, 11:44 AM
the signs were there, you guys just refused to believe it...lakers arent and never were the unbeatable force they were made out to be ive been saying that since early in the season.

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
^Perhaps, but, if you let the Suns get by you, I'm gonna crawl up and play dead in your shit.

Savvy?

FkLA
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
"stick a fork in manu"

tee hee

mingus
04-26-2010, 11:59 AM
the Lakers are just a mystery. they've got the same talent they had last year when they dominated the league, so you can't ignore that.

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
"stick a fork in manu"

tee hee

Kori swears up & down I'm neither important or special, but, nobody forgets a f'in thing I ever say.

TheManFromAcme
04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
the Lakers are just a mystery. they've got the same talent they had last year when they dominated the league, so you can't ignore that.

You hit it right on the nail. Complete mystery this squad is. Oklahoma is atheletic as hell and though I know many in here are tired of the Artest for Ariza controversy it's becoming obvious that Trevors long, bean-pole physique is what's missing. For sure? I don't know. That's just my opinion. Sure Ron-Ron has Trevor beat by probably 100 lbs. but looks like that extra "beefy" Artest we so coveted and were glad we acquired ain't paying out squat. I still take Trevor right about now no matter what anyone says. But how does a team that for the most part has the same squad intact from last years champsionship run do a 180? How?

No excuses for this team. Absolutely none.

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 12:21 PM
No excuses for this team. Absolutely none.

:toast

FkLA
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Kori swears up & down I'm neither important or special, but, nobody forgets a f'in thing I ever say.

<3

we love you cully, we really do!!! you sweet gullible child you.

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
<3

we love you cully, we really do!!! you sweet gullible child you.

And I loves youse too. And I wanna say except for the birth of Kori's new tiny baby this is the greatest day of my life.

...theme from "Rocky II" rises....

TheManFromAcme
04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
:toast

Sup G? :toast

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Sup G? :toast

I'm as nervous as a sissy at Boy's Town about tomorrow night's game.

Facin' this bunch of gd heathens if we lose will not be pleasant.

Sportcamper
04-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Where can I get a OKC jacket?

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Lead us, Luva, into the path of light, from this black morass.

Deliver upon us the Utah Jazz at LAX.

Luva, on high, our greatest Laker patriot.

barbacoataco
04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
If Kobe returns to 80-90% of his usual self the Lakers will be right back in it. If not then they won't make it to the Finals.

IronMexican
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Lol, the OP is probably last. I think everyone came to the conclusion that they don't look that great around All-star break.

TheManFromAcme
04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm as nervous as a sissy at Boy's Town about tomorrow night's game.

Facin' this bunch of gd heathens if we lose will not be pleasant.

:lol Hear ya G.

Should we lose, oh well. Better luck next season. I, too, am nervous. We shouldn't be in the situation but alas, we are. OKC's got the Champs on the ropes. Lets see what this team is really made up of come next game and see what kind of effort they exhibit. I would have been okay with close games but a blowout? Like I said, they deserve it. Every last ounce of it.

Still have faith in the boys but I have realistically not looked for them to be in the finals much less win it. Hope and a prayer that they get their heads out of their a$$es is all I have right about now. Like I said about the Spurs earlier in the season when they had their struggles; "The team was built for so much better"

djohn2oo8
04-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Keys to victory for the Lakers

- Khloe gives Lamar some pussy before every game
- Give the Ball to Bynum in the post
- Give the Ball to Gasol in the post, but he seems to be content settling for jumpshots
- Start Farmar over Fisher
- There ain't no fixing Artest now, he is in playoff mode, just have to accept that and move on

TheManFromAcme
04-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Keys to victory for the Lakers

- Khloe gives Lamar some pussy before every game
- Give the Ball to Bynum in the post
- Give the Ball to Gasol in the post, but he seems to be content settling for jumpshots
- Start Farmar over Fisher
- There ain't no fixing Artest now, he is in playoff mode, just have to accept that and move on

You've actually got something there djohn. :toast:lol

Artest is not fixable at this point, Your right.

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Say what you want about Khloe, but, she's a good girl. You can see it in her eyes.

IronMexican
04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Say what you want about Khloe, but, she's a good girl. You can see it in her eyes.

:lmao

picc84
04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
When you look like Khloe, you have no choice but to be a good girl.

Giuseppe
04-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Christ, trying to talk to you guys about anything serious is so f'ing frustrating!

I have half a mind to ask the Princess to stick me back in purgatory.

Oh, it was awful. They made me sit in a time out chair 8 hours a day. Kori would cook, but, I'd get nothing but Raisin Bran, plain label Safeway Select from Safeway. Of course it made me very regular, and whenever I'd protest Tim would walk over and hit me on the back of the head, like my father used to do. Then in the evenings they'd get the steamer trunk down from the attic and count their money in the living room, out of my line of sight. The pinching of the pennies, and the falling stacks of bills was incredible. Afterward, he'd make her take the trunk back up to the attic where she'd got it from.

Oh, it was terrible.

Booharv
04-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Have the Lakers ever gone out in the 1st round as the defending champs?

Yep.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1981.html

Mr.Robinson
04-26-2010, 05:38 PM

Sad to say, this is the east's year. I was sort of counting on the Suns to make some noise out of the west, but I'm not entirely sure who out of the Suns, Lakers, or Utah will represent the West this year.

In any case, I can't see either of those teams beating the Magic or Cavs.

Spurs have a chance if they get through Dallas. The confidence they will get from beating them will be huge. Lakers front line is going to be tough, though.

RedsLakers24
04-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Boston in 08 struggled against the young atheltic team The Hawks but they came back and won the championship. Im not counting the Lakers out but they look like there might be some problems in the Locker Room

SomeCallMeTim
04-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Boston in 08 struggled against the young atheltic team The Hawks but they came back and won the championship. Im not counting the Lakers out but they look like there might be some problems in the Locker Room

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown, especially when that team is struggling against an 8 seed... a great 8 seed, but still an 8 seed. Not surprised to see the team fraying with the losing.

It's one thing to fail to advance to the Conf Finals after winning a championship like Boston did last year when you have the built-in excuse of missing a superstar. There was no pressure and no shame once it became apparent KG wasn't coming back. An intact team has no such relief from that pressure... they all know failing in the first or even second round will be rightly perceived as epic fail.

ezau
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm so relieved after reading this, Ez, that I'm like close to tears.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 09:47 PM

The point differential in that Celtics vs Hawks series was +12ppg in favour of the Celtics. The Celtics won their home games by an average of 25 points and lost games by 9, 5 and 3 points. The Hawks played really well and scared the Cs but were never close to win the series because all the Garden games were blow-outs.

The point differential in this series after 4 games is +4ppg... in favour of the Thunder. The Lakers haven't won a single game by double digits and were a shot away from going OT in one of their wins.

Not similar series.

Ghazi
04-26-2010, 09:48 PM
cosigned mogro :tu