PDA

View Full Version : Bottom 4 seeds could advance out West.

Cry Havoc
04-25-2010, 11:13 PM
It suddenly occurs to me that there is a very real chance that the 5, 6, 7, and 8 seeds could advance to the 2nd round in the West.

Has this EVER happened in ANY 8 seeded playoff in sports history?

Slydragon
04-25-2010, 11:17 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16052

mookie2001
04-25-2010, 11:19 PM
They could do that. They could do anything, if they wanted

Cry Havoc
04-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks Sly.

Shastafarian
04-25-2010, 11:21 PM
It suddenly occurs to me that there is a very real chance that the 5, 6, 7, and 8 seeds could advance to the 2nd round in the West.

Has this EVER happened in ANY 8 seeded playoff in sports history?

It's not gonna happen this year. Suns won't lose their series. And I doubt the Lakers do either.

honestfool84
04-25-2010, 11:22 PM
THAT would be AMAZING.

Cry Havoc
04-25-2010, 11:27 PM
It's not gonna happen this year. Suns won't lose their series. And I doubt the Lakers do either.

You're probably right, but if the unthinkable happens, it's the Spurs conference to win (and it might be right now, judging by how they're playing). Really the only team that has a legitimate shot out West to beat us right now (assuming we finish off Dallas) is LA. And the lack of passion they're playing with... I'd take us in a heartbeat over the Lakers right now.

DespЏrado
04-25-2010, 11:31 PM

Brandon Roy makes that look a hell of a lot more likely, for the Blazers, I wouldn't be at all shocked if the Suns lost.

Thunder winning would be the upset of the decade, but they are capable of running any team out of the building. And right now running seems to be a problem for the Lakers.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Bottom line is this year's seeded teams could all be in different positions. OK is a very good team that could have reached the 6th seed or even higher had they won a couple more games. So the seeding is very misleading - it only tells you who's getting home court advantage but as far as good/bad teams I don't think it holds true.

NFGIII
04-25-2010, 11:44 PM
That would be unbelievable if it happened but I don't think it will. But it could happen none the less. If so then cry havoc (oops) is right on - The way the Spurs are playing I would favor them over any team now. Their defensive level has jumped several levels and this team finally is clicking together.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2010, 11:47 PM
I doubt the Fakers will lose 2 of the next 3, but it's an intriguing prospect.

duhoh
04-26-2010, 12:25 AM
that would be pretty historic.

but it would also show the strength of the western conference, no doubt.

GSH
04-26-2010, 12:29 AM
If it happened, nobody could ever bring up the idea of a David Stern conspiracy, ever again.

Capt Bringdown
04-26-2010, 12:43 AM
It certainly has been an exciting playoffs so far.

Sadly, I think OKC is going to learn the lesson that you need to take advantage of every opportunity in order to knock the Lakers out of the playoffs. They needed that game 2 win, and it was right there for the taking, but they came up just a tad short. I'm convinced the Lakers will take the series.

The Lakers aren't playing well, but I wouldn't bet on that trend continuing. As for a Spurs/Lakers matchup, I'd prefer not.

Ignignokt
04-26-2010, 12:55 AM
I don't know what it is.. but mookie consistently sploades Cry Havoc and RuffNReady like the IRS does to patriotic americans.

DespЏrado
04-26-2010, 12:57 AM
It certainly has been an exciting playoffs so far.

Sadly, I think OKC is going to learn the lesson that you need to take advantage of every opportunity in order to knock the Lakers out of the playoffs. They needed that game 2 win, and it was right there for the taking, but they came up just a tad short. I'm convinced the Lakers will take the series.

The Lakers aren't playing well, but I wouldn't bet on that trend continuing. As for a Spurs/Lakers matchup, I'd prefer not.

Sometimes a team can be too young and naive to realize that they're supposed to lose. It will take a perfect storm and all of that, but if the Thunder manage to win the next game in LA they would have a great shot of winning out. They lose game 5 and they are probably done. I'd give 10 to 1 odds that the Lakers win, but the Thunder can be streaky amazing. The thunder can use the youth to their advantage if they continue to out-run the aging Lakers.

NewJerSpur
04-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Sometimes a team can be too young and naive to realize that they're supposed to lose. It will take a perfect storm and all of that, but if the Thunder manage to win the next game in LA they would have a great shot of winning out. They lose game 5 and they are probably done. I'd give 10 to 1 odds that the Lakers win, but the Thunder can be streaky amazing. The thunder can use the youth to their advantage if they continue to out-run the aging Lakers.

You know guys like Westbrook and Ibaka are going to show up, but you don't know what you're going to get from Green or Durant on the road which is problematic.

robino2001
04-26-2010, 07:17 AM
2006 NHL playoffs... Western conference - Edmonton, San Jose and Colorado advanced... I forget who the 4th was... but they were the 5-8.

Danny.Zhu
04-26-2010, 07:36 AM
At one point this season, SW Division could all make it to the playoff.

Supergirl
04-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Prediction: #2, 3, and 4 will be ousted. #1 will eke out a win in 7. Still a pretty good run for the bottom seeds in the first round.

Manufan909
04-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Like other people stated before me, the Western conference is so similar record-wise, this isn't an average group of playoff teams. Not like I did research, but I'm assuming that on average teams weren't so bunched together, so one or two weeks before the POs teams had a berth locked in, and knew what seed they would end up with.

And if Chicago wins I'll be gladly proven wrong, cuz I think the Cavs will have a cake walk to the Finals. Of course, the Celtics/Magic truly have a cake walk in their first round. Miami might even the series, but the Bobcats will prob get swept.