PDA

View Full Version : Views from the other side

duncan228
04-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Mavericks lose game; is series a goner, too? (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/mavericks-lose-game-is-series-a-goner-to.html)
Eddie Sefko/Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks saw another grand opportunity go to waste as the San Antonio Spurs toughed out a 92-89 victory tonight at AT&T Center to take a 3-1 lead in the best-of-seven first-round series.

The Mavericks now must sweep the final three games to avoid a first-round playoff exit for the third time in four seasons.

George Hill had 29 points for the Spurs.

The Mavericks, who led by 15 in the second quarter and by 10 five minutes into the third, fell behind by 13 in the fourth before staging a huge rally that came up short.

Manu Ginobili hit a clutch 3-pointer and two free throws with 42.1 seconds left that put the Spurs up 91-87.

Dirk Nowitzki missed a jumper, but the Mavericks retained possession on a jump ball. Jason Kidd then air-mailed a 3-pointer from the corner and the Mavericks were history.

As this series will be with one more Spurs win.

Let the cliches begin (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/let-the-cliches-begin.html)
Brad Townsend/Dallas Morning News

Trailing 3 games to 1 in the best-of-seven series, the Mavericks' backs are against the proverbial wall.

Failing to come up with solid explanations for Sunday night's third-quarter debacle, they resorted to the usual cliches. But Shawn Marion, who was part of a Phoenix team that rallied to win from a 3-1 deficit, put a funny twist on his cliche'.

"Anything's possible," he said. "It's not over with until the fat lady sings. I don't see no fat lady, so we're good."

Longtime basketball fans might recall that it was San Antonio broadcaster and columnist Dan Cook in the late-70s who used the phrase "The opera ain't over 'till the fat lady sings" in connection with a Spurs playoff series.

Said Jason Terry: "You know how they say 'Lose or go fishing? I don't own a boat and I'm not ready yet."

NRHector
04-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Mavericks lose game; is series a goner, too? (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/mavericks-lose-game-is-series-a-goner-to.html)
Eddie Sefko/Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks saw another grand opportunity go to waste as the San Antonio Spurs toughed out a 92-89 victory tonight at AT&T Center to take a 3-1 lead in the best-of-seven first-round series.

The Mavericks now must sweep the final three games to avoid a first-round playoff exit for the third time in four seasons.

George Hill had 29 points for the Spurs.

The Mavericks, who led by 15 in the second quarter and by 10 five minutes into the third, fell behind by 13 in the fourth before staging a huge rally that came up short.

Manu Ginobili hit a clutch 3-pointer and two free throws with 42.1 seconds left that put the Spurs up 91-87.

Dirk Nowitzki missed a jumper, but the Mavericks retained possession on a jump ball. Jason Kidd then air-mailed a 3-pointer from the corner and the Mavericks were history.

As this series will be with one more Spurs win.

Let the cliches begin (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/let-the-cliches-begin.html)
Brad Townsend/Dallas Morning News

Trailing 3 games to 1 in the best-of-seven series, the Mavericks' backs are against the proverbial wall.

Failing to come up with solid explanations for Sunday night's third-quarter debacle, they resorted to the usual cliches. But Shawn Marion, who was part of a Phoenix team that rallied to win from a 3-1 deficit, put a funny twist on his cliche'.

"Anything's possible," he said. "It's not over with until the fat lady sings. I don't see no fat lady, so we're good."

Longtime basketball fans might recall that it was San Antonio broadcaster and columnist Dan Cook in the late-70s who used the phrase "The opera ain't over 'till the fat lady sings" in connection with a Spurs playoff series.

Said Jason Terry: "You know how they say 'Lose or go fishing? I don't own a boat and I'm not ready yet."
He can use the boat the Spurs used last year

Whisky Dog
04-26-2010, 12:24 AM
His ass is always out in the first round. He may not own a boat, but he has a shitload of bait and knows the sweet spots on the pier.

DesignatedT
04-26-2010, 12:26 AM
more moronic quotes.

Dex
04-26-2010, 12:26 AM

Wow. I had absolutely no idea the origin of that phrase was Spurs related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_ain't_over_'til_the_fat_lady_sings

Nice tidbit from the Dallas media. Learn new things every day.

EricB
04-26-2010, 12:27 AM
His ass is always out in the first round. He may not own a boat, but he has a shitload of bait and knows the sweet spots on the pier.

Now THATS a retort....

SpurOutofTownFan
04-26-2010, 12:29 AM
This is almost as pathetic as watching Steve Nash's press conferences after losing to the Spurs on each of their games.

m33p0
04-26-2010, 12:30 AM
jt, if you lose, you go fishing.

Dex
04-26-2010, 12:33 AM

:lmao

eKgPY1adc0A

Thompson
04-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Without a boat, Jason Terry is in...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:bVLvYVcoIGL0eM:http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00064AE0G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'd pay good money to see that movie.

duncan228
04-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Spurs know how to win, Mavs dont; it's that simple (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042610dnspotaylor.22d924.html)
by Jean-Jacques Taylor / The Dallas Morning News

Tim Duncan, the birthday boy, looked every bit of his 34 years. Manu Ginobili struggled badly until the fourth quarter, and Tony Parker did virtually nothing.

Still, the Mavericks couldn't beat San Antonio.

The Spurs pushed the Mavs to the brink of playoff elimination with a 92-89 win Sunday night at the AT&T Center.

If it weren't so pathetic, it would be sad.

This isn't about effort or desire or any other intangible. This is about the Spurs, a franchise with championship pedigree, finding ways to win, while the Mavs, a franchise with a history of choking in the playoffs, finds ways to lose.

The players and coaches won't like that. Neither will the owner.

Too bad.

Until they change it, choking in the postseason is a part of the Mavs' history, just like losing in December was part of the Cowboys' history until they did something about it last season.

The Cowboys have cast aside those late-season struggles. We're still waiting for the Mavs to escape history's grip.

Understand, nothing will ever be as bad as the Mavs' fourth-quarter meltdown in Game 3 of the NBA Finals against Miami, but the Mavs' pitiful third-quarter performance against the Spurs should crack the top five.

Dallas led by 15 points in the second quarter and 11 at halftime. Caron Butler's 3-pointer from the corner gave the Mavs a 51-37 lead less than a minute into the third quarter.

By the time the quarter ended, the Spurs led 66-59.

"We had the lead, but we gave it up too easy in the third quarter," Dirk Nowitzki said.

The Mavs didn't give the game away, the Spurs punched them in the jaw and took it. San Antonio increased its defensive intensity and watched as the Mavs wilted under the constant pressure.

Are you really surprised? That's what this franchise has done whether the head coach is Don Nelson, Avery Johnson and Rick Carlisle.

This really was a team loss, just as it was a team win for the Spurs. With their top three players struggling, George Hill scored 29 points and made 11 of 16 shots.

That's right, George Hill. Gimme a break.

Antonio McDyess – old as Methuselah, as my mom used to say – had 10 points and eight rebounds while limiting Dirk to just 10 shots and 17 points. And let's not even talk about DeJuan Blair scoring seven points and grabbing seven rebounds in just 11 minutes.

That's why it didn't matter that Duncan scored four points and didn't make a field goal until the last four minutes.

And why it didn't matter that Ginobili, playing his first game with a broken nose, made just four of 16 shots, or that Parker had just 10 points and five turnovers.

The Spurs have won four championships since 1999, so they expect to win. They understand how to do it. They realize the total commitment it takes to win in the playoffs, where every possession matters.

"We played hard, but there are a set of plays in the last couple of games where we've got to get down and dirty," Carlisle said. "We have to come up with balls that are 50-50. That's where the game is being won and lost."

These Mavs, like they do every year, have teased you again. The streak of 10 consecutive 50-win seasons is fabulous, but the Mavs have not turned any of that success into hardware.

In the NBA, no one cares about hanging banners for division titles. It's all about the ring.

This season is over. The only question is whether the end comes in Game 5 or Game 6. Teams leading a best-of-7 series three games to one are 181-8, so the Mavs would need a historic effort to win this series.

It's not going to happen.

santymrc
04-26-2010, 12:36 AM

Hahaha nice find, I didn't realize that until you came up with it, hilarious /FAIL
HAHAHA.

spursfan09
04-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Depressing

duncan228
04-26-2010, 01:12 AM
Mavs lose lead, poise in meltdown (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4668646/mavs-lose-lead-poise-and-maybe-hope-in-meltdown)
By Tim MacMahon
ESPNDallas

Poise shouldn’t be a problem for the NBA’s oldest team.

That makes the Mavs’ meltdown in the third quarter of their Game 4 loss inexcusable. It certainly isn’t inexplicable, though.

A team loaded with playoff-hardened veterans lost its composure. Plain, simple and embarrassing.

The Spurs ratcheted up the intensity after a sorry first half. The Mavs rolled over for a dozen minutes, turning an 11-point lead into a seven-point deficit, essentially dooming their season.

How terrible was it? Spurs guard George Hill scored as many points (11) as the Mavs in the quarter. The Mavs had twice as many turnovers (eight) as field goals (four).

“You’ve just got to keep your poise a little better,” Dirk Nowitzki said following the 92-89 loss that put the Mavs in a 3-1 hole. “They were physical. We didn’t respond the right way.”

This debacle rests largely on Nowitzki’s shoulders. Antonio McDyess pushed, pulled, shoved and grabbed Dirk while getting constant double-team help during the third quarter. Nowitzki let that rattle him , throwing away three passes in the quarter.

Not that it’s all on Nowitzki. His teammates didn’t make the Spurs pay for selling out to double Dirk. The Mavs’ shooting percentage in the quarter (.235) was lower than the blood-alcohol content of a lot of folks roaming the River Walk during this week’s Fiesta.

Jason Kidd, a nonfactor for the third consecutive game, said the Mavs got great looks in the quarter but just didn’t make them. That certainly didn’t appear to be the case from my vantage point on press row. The Mavs struggled simply to get enough room to initiate their halfcourt sets, much less get open shots.

And the decibel level in the AT&T Center got higher and higher with every botched Mavs possession.

“The Spurs’ defense picked up and we needed to respond better to it,” coach Rick Carlisle said. “That’s the best answer I can give you, without seeing the film. When it gets loud, we have to keep our composure and we could have done better at that.”

Actually, they couldn’t have done much worse.

Awful offense wasn’t the Mavs’ only issue during the disastrous dozen minutes. Their defense was almost as deplorable. The Spurs hit 10 of 16 shots from the floor in the quarter (4-of-5 by Hill) preventing the Mavs from pushing the tempo.

Even by Mavs’ standards, it was an epic playoff meltdown.

“What meltdown?” Shawn Marion said. “Wasn’t no meltdown. It became a heated game. It was very heated out there. Everybody became real physical. Everybody lost composure a little bit.”

OK, fine. But only one team lost a double-digit lead, sending the Mavs’ season swirling toward the drain.

duncan228
04-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Only 8 teams have escaped a 3-1 deficit in 189 tries (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042610dnspomavsbriefs2.283d594cc.html)
By Brad Townsend / The Dallas Morning News

In NBA playoff history, there have been 189 occasions in which teams have taken a 3-1 series lead. Only eight times has a team rallied from a 3-1 deficit to win the series.

In 58 of those series, it was the team that did not have home-court advantage that took a 3-1 series lead. On six of those occasions, the trailing team rallied to win the series.

In other words, the odds of coming back are long. But if a team has two of the last three at home, as the Mavericks do, the odds are somewhat better.

"Yeah, they [the Spurs] just won three, didn't they?" said guard Jason Terry, when asked if the Mavericks can win the last three. "That's our job. That's why we got home-court advantage."

Since the first round was changed from best-of-5 to best-of-7, there have been 28 occasions when teams took a 3-1 series lead. Only twice has a team rallied to win from that deficit.

mando6599
04-26-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks duncan228, keep 'em comin'. I love reading the misery and demise of our rivals, hahaha.

DMX7
04-26-2010, 01:51 AM
Wow. I had absolutely no idea the origin of that phrase was Spurs related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_ain't_over_'til_the_fat_lady_sings

Nice tidbit from the Dallas media. Learn new things every day.

Spurs media has mentioned it a few times, but I'm pretty surprised that he knew that.

Capt Bringdown
04-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Not very impressed with Carlisle. Glad to see him on the Mavs bench.
Some of his moves were very puzzling.
Doesn't seem like much of a leader.
He's great!

Baseline
04-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Good gracious. These sportswriters in Dallas are lethal. Absolutely none of them think the Mavs have a prayer of coming back.

NFGIII
04-26-2010, 02:07 AM
Ouch!!!

Wow the Dallas media is really roasting the Mavs over this. But they have a point - this team really can't handle the pressure down the stretch. Carlisle made a very good point, too. The game was won and lost with the Mavs inability to get those 50-50 loose balls. The Spurs, due to their championship experience, know how to win even if it was some of the role players getting those balls. This team and organization has that auora and it permeates anyone (almost anyone but you know who i mean) associated with it.

The Mavs are ready for the taking. End this Tuesday.

:flag:

04-26-2010, 02:08 AM
the whole desperation of the 3-1 talk made me think about 2006. maybe a role reverse? dirk for the dagger three in dallas during game 7 to put the mavs up 3 and then inadvertently fouls ginobli when he goes for the layup giving ginobili an and 1, causing the spurs and mavs to go into overtime with the spurs winning it all in OT.

EricB
04-26-2010, 02:09 AM
No thanks, I'd like for the Spurs to go balls out and end the series tuesday please :lol

z0sa
04-26-2010, 02:11 AM
I feel sorry for the Mavs (at least, I will when they are officially buried for the summer). If they hadn't of met a surging, vengeful Spurs team, they may have dominated their way all the way to the Finals. As it looks, they'll be leaving the first round with a bitter taste in their mouths.

tuncaboylu
04-26-2010, 02:14 AM
I guess they're bothered on losing especially very early... They should win 2006 finals, they're(Dallas media and franchise) still living the defects of Miami series.

Fpoonsie
04-26-2010, 02:15 AM
Fighting the urge to read these "defeated" articles.

Hafta wait until the Spurs (god-willing) finish these guys off.

jjktkk
04-26-2010, 02:18 AM
I feel sorry for the Mavs (at least, I will when they are officially buried for the summer). If they hadn't of met a surging, vengeful Spurs team, they may have dominated their way all the way to the Finals. As it looks, they'll be leaving the first round with a bitter taste in their mouths.

I can never fell sorry for the Mavs as long as Cuban is the owner and Jason Terry is in a Mavs uniform.

Johnny RIngo
04-26-2010, 02:21 AM
:lol

z0sa
04-26-2010, 02:22 AM
I can never fell sorry for the Mavs as long as Cuban is the owner and Jason Terry is in a Mavs uniform.

As much losers are these guys are, they actually really want to win. Especially Cuban. And as far as I can tell, he did everything is his power to get the Mavs the pieces to succeed. He's a whiny douche, I agree, but even he deserves a little pity for his efforts.

duncan228
04-26-2010, 02:23 AM
Final post-Game 4 words from Jason Terry (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/final-post-game-4-words-from-jason-terry.html)
Brad Townsend/Reporter

I'm told that the Mavericks' plane has landed back in Dallas. I'm still in San Antonio, but thought I would share the parting Game 4 thoughts of Jason Terry as he limped out of the locker room Sunday night.

"It's frustrating, but it's good, man. Because when your back's against the wall, you really find out who you are. Not only as an individual, but as a team. I know what we have on this team and I know what it's going to take for us to get the job done. It's not going to be easy, but I know we can do it."

Perhaps the Mavericks should have known this trip to San Antonio would turn out badly when, on Friday morning, they were awakened in their team hotel by a high school band playing "Louie, Louie."

The band was warming up for that afternoon's Battle of Flowers parade. On the way to their morning shootaround before Game 3 on Friday, the Mavericks' bus had to take a longer route because of blocked off streets for the parade. Consequently, the bus had to stop for 15 minutes at a track as a train passed, making the team late for shootaround.

And Saturday night's Fiesta Flambeau parade wreaked havoc on downtown traffic, making Fiesta festivities unavoidable for an NBA team on its way to two losses in three days here.

Asked how it will feel to get back home, Terry said, "If we don't see another Fiesta . . . . We've got to get the hell up out of here."

SenorSpur
04-26-2010, 02:27 AM
"Yeah, they [the Spurs] just won three, didn't they?" said guard Jason Terry, when asked if the Mavericks can win the last three. "That's our job. That's why we got home-court advantage."
Uh, excuse me Cecil Turtle. Your team no longer has homecourt advantage.

The more this punk talks, the more stupid he sounds.

Capt Bringdown
04-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Interesting that the articles focus on our experience, but it was the young dudes who came through for us tonite.

xellos88330
04-26-2010, 02:41 AM
Uh, excuse me Cecil Turtle. Your team no longer has homecourt advantage.

The more this punk talks, the more stupid he sounds.

I don't blame Terry for those comments.

He is obviously shell-shocked. :toast

z0sa
04-26-2010, 02:43 AM
Interesting that the articles focus on our experience, but it was the young dude who came through for us tonite.

FIFY. I know Blair did some work in his 12 minutes, but Hill straight ballsed up and won us a playoff game tonight, fair and simple. Obviously it was a team effort, but if Hill doesn't have the game he has, we lose. Hill is the fucking man of the hour tonight, most definitely. His play on both ends is a big, big part of the reason we are up 3-1 and looking like title contenders again.

spurs10
04-26-2010, 02:47 AM
Is there something seriously wrong with Jason Terry? Almost everything that comes out of his mouth is so very wrong, that I wonder if he isn't a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Avitus1
04-26-2010, 02:47 AM

:lmao Brilliant as always.

Avitus1
04-26-2010, 02:49 AM
Maybe JT should of went to Fiesta, at least he would of had a good story to tell about SA, instead of the shitty one I'm sure he has now.

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2010, 03:06 AM
louie louie from modern talking?

carina_gino20
04-26-2010, 03:14 AM
The Mavs didn't give the game away, the Spurs punched them in the jaw and took it.

I love this.

SenorSpur
04-26-2010, 03:21 AM
FIFY. I know Blair did some work in his 12 minutes, but Hill straight ballsed up and won us a playoff game tonight, fair and simple. Obviously it was a team effort, but if Hill doesn't have the game he has, we lose. Hill is the fucking man of the hour tonight, most definitely. His play on both ends is a big, big part of the reason we are up 3-1 and looking like title contenders again.

There are some, myself included, who thought Hill would be one of the keys to this series. As always, the superb play of the Big Three is a MUST and usually given. However, I figured if Hill could sustain good health and had a productive series, the Spurs stood a good shot to prevail.

We saw the difference of his impact the past couple of games. Hill was just outstanding tonight. His dominant performance even helped overcome one of Duncan't poorest playoff outings.

z0sa
04-26-2010, 03:35 AM
There are some, myself included, who thought Hill would be one of the keys to this series. As always, the superb play of the Big Three is a MUST and usually given. However, I figured if Hill could sustain good health and had a productive series, the Spurs stood a good shot to prevail.

We saw the difference of his impact the past couple of games. Hill was just outstanding tonight. His dominant performance even helped overcome one of Duncan't poorest playoff outings.

Really it was the entire big 3. All of them played below average and this game well could have ended in the same 15 point blowout we saw at halftime.

iminol
04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Which team as a last turned from 1-3 to 4-3? And when?

MaNu4Tres
04-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Which team as a last turned from 1-3 to 4-3? And when?

2006 until Manu's foul.

Spurminator
04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Bob's Blog - Live from Lewisville
"Hope is not a strategy" - Billy Beane
Daily Commentary on the Dallas Sports Scene - By Bob Sturm - Sportsradio 1310, The Ticket

Game 4: Spurs 92, Mavs 89 (Spurs 3-1)

Well, this is bad. If you had plans of seeing the Mavericks navigate this battleship into the waters of May, you better hope for something special to happen really quick. Because otherwise, we are about to be left with a pile of rubble yet again in the 1st round as the Spurs take a commanding 3-1 lead in this series on Sunday night with another gutty victory at the AT&T Center.

It is getting to the point where you are almost ready to wash your hands with this squad. Perhaps to a point where we start to wonder if 2006 was just a fluke-ish aberration in a sea of many other playoff disappointments. Many of the faces have changed on the Mavericks, but many of the key attributes remain the same. Very little movement on offense. Too much dependence on perimeter basketball. And no ability whatsoever in the 4th Quarter of both games in San Antonio for the Mavs to keep the Spurs guards from getting to the basket. When Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili (and heck, even George Hill) want to dribble into the paint and either score or dump it off to someone who will, the Jason Terry school of defense is just not getting it done.

Meanwhile, your key acquisitions over the summer - you know, the ones that were to change the personality of this team in crunch time of playoff games - sit and watch the key moments of the game yet again. Shawn Marion, who seems like your best option to cover Ginobili is sitting on the bench.

But, let's not lose focus again. The focus must be on the players who are on the court. Dirk Nowitzki, who has played well enough in this series to be above criticism, was not active enough through most of the game, and then down the stretch, it was tough for him to get back involved. Also, Jason Kidd has had a very difficult time putting his stamp all over the Spurs like he has many Mavericks opponents. Jason Terry got hot last night in the 4th Quarter with his shooting, but otherwise is such a liability at crunch time defensively that it is often times a wash.

We have seen this time and time again. When the Mavericks are on the road since the 2006 Western Conference Finals, they are a stunning 2-15 in the playoffs. Did you know that? 2-15. And do you know why? Because in the 4th Quarter, they do not have the necessary attributes on either end of the court to consistently compete at a top level. And if you win about 13% of your road games, then you will find it very difficult to win a series. And that might explain why since the 2006 Western Finals, the Mavs are 1-4 in series, and about to be 1-5 unless something magical occurs very quickly.

The high pick and roll with Terry and Dirk has not been money often enough. Oh sure, it may be the best option the Mavericks have, but it cannot out-execute what the opponent is trying to do (in this case, the Spurs at crunch time are intent to have their guards attack the paint off the dribble). You must be able to employ your strategy and be better at it than your opponent in those same crucial moments of the 4th Quarter - which is even more impossible and unlikely when the Spurs are up 13 (84-71) with 5 minutes to play.

And why were the Spurs so far in front? Because in the 3rd Quarter, the Spurs scored on 9 of their first 12 possessions. Apparently, the Mavs were pretty sure that up 14 at the Half, the Spurs were going to pack it in. But, with George Hill, Antonio McDyess, and Richard Jefferson hitting shots - the Mavs let that entire lead slip away in merely 9 minutes. Then, DeJuan Blair entered the game and things really went south.

The Spurs are the Spurs. And shame on any of us for underestimating them. The Mavs, and their precious #2 seed, are now up against the wall. This is bad, and the whole thing looks like a mess. The coach looks clueless, the players look lost, and honestly, this whole thing looks like a new version of the same frustrating spring tradition around here - save 2006, which might have been a simple aberration.

Notes on Game 4 and beyond:

* I think the Mavs are a meaner team than they used to be, but still, you can see when the temperature is turned up that it does not always suit the team. For instance, I thought there were numerous examples on both ends of the court that they were "letting them play" last night. Both teams had cause to suggest that their man had been assaulted on his way to the basket. But, in a street fight, you need everyone up for the battle. I think the 2010 Mavs team is more physical and up for it than most of its predecessors, but still, against some of the harder teams in the league, I still don't think it is enough. It looked like Blair and McDyess were up for a battle and the Mavs were still not quite sure if they enjoyed that at all. Then came Eddie Najera's famous 47 seconds of playing time. I loved how he at least acted shocked that he was being ejected.

* If you read my blog, you know how passionate I am about certain truths in the game of basketball. Such as, closer shots are easier shots; and, if you are taking 20 footers and your opponent is taking 2 footers, you will usually lose. These theories are not based on 1 game or 1 quarter. They are based on NBA basketball for my entire life. But, boy, do the Mavs demonstrate why they exist. During the Mavs 3 game losing streak, they have shot 36%, 44%, and 41%. The Spurs, during the same stretch have shot: 48%, 49%, and 45% - or basically, substantially better in each game. Don't misunderstand what I am saying: The Spurs shoot tons of jumpers, too. Every team in the league uses outside shooting and 3-pointers as PART of their arsenal. But, it isn't the whole thing. The Mavs, specifically in the half-court offense in the key moments of the game, rely on the outside shot more than their opponents do in the playoffs. Time and time again. Until that changes - and maybe it never will in the Dirk era - the Mavs will always have a shooter's chance, but consistent, dominant basketball can never happen on the hopes that 21 footers fall all of the time. Even at the highest level of basketball, outside shooters get cold.

* George Hill really proved something in these last 2 games. He has been a killer in the corner for the 3, but he has also played a solid point and not allowed much to beat him on defense. It looks like they have a suitable PG situation with Parker still in his prime and Hill just a pup. I wonder if they deal one to address their age elsewhere at some point.

* I do not like small ball. I do not like 3 guys who are short and are not able to handle their defense well. Kidd is fine on d, but Barea and Terry are not capable of guarding very well. So, this forces the Mavs into a zone, which seems to be fine in small doses but over the long-term it is not worthy of consistent display. Meanwhile, on offense, it just doesn't seem to result in enough easy shots to be worth it. It seems to me that when Marion is playing well, the idea of taking him off the court is silly. He can defend Manu, and yet he sits and watches late. Meanwhile, Kidd is trying to block out DeJaun Blair. Nice idea.

* On Tim Duncan's 34th birthday, he chips in 1 basket and 4 points. Manu shoots 4-16. Parker just 4-9. And they win with some level of comfort although it got hairy late. I must think these realities are very frustrating to the Mavs and their coaching staff. The idea that they are running out of answers seems very reasonable.

* 8 of 189 teams have come back from 3-1 down. It starts with belief. Anybody know where you can find any?
Posted by Sturminator at 7:52 AM
Labels: Mavericks 2010, Mavericks Playoffs

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2010/04/game-4-spurs-92-mavs-89-spurs-3-1.html

Solid D
04-26-2010, 11:42 AM
To be fair, there were two melt-downs in last night's game. One in the 2nd quarter (Spurs) and one in the 3rd (Mavs).

Spursmania
04-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Yeah, there's no way I can feel sorry for the Mavs with an owner like Cuban who still can't buy his way or find a way to a title.

4001 STEREO SPUR
04-26-2010, 11:51 AM
As much losers are these guys are, they actually really want to win. Especially Cuban. And as far as I can tell, he did everything is his power to get the Mavs the pieces to succeed. He's a whiny douche, I agree, but even he deserves a little pity for his efforts.

Man, Cuban is so jealous of the SPURS it's not even funny.
The one thing he can't buy is a championship.

I don't feel sorry for him.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

MoSpur
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Jason Terry and Marion are pathetic.

oligarchy
04-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Fighting the urge to read these "defeated" articles.

Hafta wait until the Spurs (god-willing) finish these guys off.

Heavens to Murgatroyd! Exit, stage left!

FromWayDowntown
04-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Interesting that the articles focus on our experience, but it was the young dudes who came through for us tonite.

The thing that jumps off the page in these pieces is the first line in McMahon's:

Poise shouldn’t be a problem for the NBA’s oldest team.

For so long, that title (whether correct or not) was affixed to the Spurs with the pervasive belief that they were simply too old to truly compete in the West. In 2006, I recall a perception that the Mavs win over the Spurs was all about youth having its day against age (and given who the Mavs had at that point, it was probably true, to an extent). It's funny now that the league's oldest team is still in Texas, but is no longer in South Texas.

nkdlunch
04-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Especially Cuban. And as far as I can tell, he did everything is his power to get the Mavs the pieces to succeed. He's a whiny douche, I agree, but even he deserves a little pity for his efforts.

the first thing Cuban needs to do for Mavs to improve is to shut up, get off the spotlight and leave the team alone.

Cuban is as much to blame for Mavs failures as anyone.

Mixability
04-26-2010, 12:55 PM
the first thing Cuban needs to do for Mavs to improve is to shut up, get off the spotlight and leave the team alone.

:tu

NFGIII
04-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Agreed.

He should take a page from Holt's book and find competent people to run the team. Both on the and off the court. But as we all know he wont and never will unless he has an ephiphany or something. His ego is just too big at this point. Though it was probably a good thing when he was putting together his internet business it has shown not to work in professional sports. All he needs to do is look across town to see how an owner can screw up a team. Jones's ego concerning JJ is the main reason I believe that the 'Boys haven't been relevant for so many years. And Switzer's Super Bowl win was really Johnson's team. All he did was no screw it up. He inherited the bulk of the team and guided it to the promise land.

Though Cuban's actions may be detrimental to the Mavs they are a good thing for the Spurs. keep it up Mark. More power to you.

Rainman
04-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Have to agree with you there. Dirk is not as floppy as he used to be so I don't hate on him as much. The big Q if they do lose out does Cuban blow up the team? These guys have gone down in flames in some of the biggest choke jobs the game has ever seen including the disaster in the NBA finals.

Cuban blow em up and see what you can get for Dirk while he still has game left.

Mixability
04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Cuban blow em up and see what you can get for Dirk while he still has game left.

And to think there was a straight up Kobe for Dirk rumor going around a while back.....

duncan228
04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Mavericks' Nowitzki brings on extreme reactions (http://timcowlishawblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/mavericks-nowitzki-brings-on-e.html)
Tim Cowlishaw/Columnist

At the driving range Saturday morning, two people asked me if Mark Cuban was going to blow up the Mavericks and get rid of Dirk Nowitzki. The team was down 2-1 in the series at this point.

As they faded away near the end of Game 4, I received a text message asking if I thought Cuban would trade Dirk this summer. This is what happens when the Mavericks lose games that some don't expect them to lose.

It's all on Dirk.

Frankly, those who choose to bash Dirk after Game 4 are not without ammunition. He was too timid. He got frustrated with the level of physical play in the third quarter and he didn't step up in the fourth.

And I have to wonder sometimes about the things tha Nowitzki says after games. He talked about the Spurs' relentless double teams, how they "ran at me from the get-go.''

I don't know. I watched the third quarter twice and I saw a lot of 35-year-old Antonio McDyess in Dirk's face with no help and Dirk going nowhere.

Just as Nowitzki is the greatest all-time Maverick, he has some similarities to Emmitt Smith, one of the greatest all-time Cowboys. Near the end of his career in Dallas, Smith could see eight-man fronts even when they weren't there. Nowitzki is the same with phantom double-teams.

But beyond that, Dirk is the only reason the Mavericks can even think about having another game to play. Nowitzki's shooting 53 percent from the field. He may not be shooting enough at times, but he's not killing the team when he does fire away.

He's averaging 28 points per game. Do you want to see the list of NBA players scoring more per game than Dirk this spring?

LeBron James. Carmelo Anthony. Dwyane Wade.

That's the list. And it's interesting that two of those three are also in deep, deep 3-1 holes.

Jason Kidd, reliable from three-point range all year, is shooting 29 percent from the field. The Spurs know exactly where Kidd will shoot and where he won't and how much time (tick....tick...tick) he needs to set his feet in order to launch it. They've seen his work and they aren't impressed.

Caron Butler has been a disaster. In addition to shooting below 39 percent, he has 14 turnovers. That's more than Kidd and J. J. Barea who handle the ball all night long.

As much as you might want to point fingers at a disappointing Dirk Sunday night, remember that the Spurs' "Big Three" of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker had 31 points.

That's a game for one of them in recent years. Not all three.

But we have seen Richard Jefferson step up in one Spurs' victory. Now we have seen George Hill and DeJuan Blair and McDyess come up big in another.

When are any Mavericks not named Nowitzki going to up come up big in a Mavericks' playoff win? That's what fans -- and Cuban -- should be wondering.

duncan228
04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Marion: Mavericks can escape 3-1 hole (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5136409)
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

It doesn't provide a great deal of comfort after three successive losses in their first-round series with San Antonio, but the Dallas Mavericks do have two prominent members in the organization who have experience coming back from a 3-1 deficit in a best-of-seven series.

Mavericks swingman Shawn Marion did it with Phoenix against the Los Angeles Lakers in the first round of the 2006 playoffs. Coach Rick Carlisle's Detroit Pistons overturned a 3-1 deficit against Orlando in the first round in 2003.

Marion insisted after Sunday's 92-89 defeat that he believes a comeback is still possible, even though history suggests that it's an extreme long shot.

Only eight teams in NBA annals, out of the 189 that have tried, have managed to win three games in a row after falling into a 3-1 deficit hole.

"I've been in this situation," Marion said. "It can be done.

"I don't see no fat lady."

Said Carlisle: "It starts with winning Game 5 [on Tuesday night]. That's the starting point."

Although he was visibly displeased to be lifted again by Carlisle early in the fourth quarter, Marion insisted that he would get past the move.

"I've got to support the coach's decision and we've got to stay together," Marion said after totaling 14 points and seven rebounds in Game 4.

Muser
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
:lmao blaming Dirk