PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Are Suddenly the Team To Beat

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-26-2010, 12:57 AM
From SI.com - Ian Thomsen

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/04/26/spurs.mavs.game4/index.html

SAN ANTONIO -- Guess who has emerged as the new favorite to win the West? It isn't the No. 2 Mavericks, who lost Game 4 here Sunday 92-89 to fall behind 3-1 in their first-round series.

• The Spurs are suddenly the team to beat. With the No. 1 Lakers struggling to keep up with Oklahoma City, and with No. 4 Denver endangered by the heavily-injured No. 5 Jazz, the No. 7 Spurs have suddenly and firmly reclaimed their long-standing role as conference favorites. No team in the West plays with a more dynamic blend of team defense, offensive firepower, versatility and passion. San Antonio won on a night when its Big Three (a combined 9-of-34 for 31 points) were almost outscored by second-year guard George Hill (29 points on 16 shots). Similar was the outcome of Game 3, won by the Spurs even though they missed all seven of their threes. Take away their right hand and they'll club you with the left. "If you told me before the game that we would hold the Big Three to the numbers they had, I would have said we win the game,'' said a despondent Dirk Nowitzki. After he was held to 17 points on 10 attempts, it was easy to see who had lost.

• Mavs lose composure. Though they were within two scores over the final four minutes, Dallas looked very much like a team staring up at a much larger deficit. A strong second quarter had provided the Mavs with a momentary 15-point lead. They were up 48-37 at the half before yielding an 18-point turnaround in the third quarter while shooting 4-of-17 and commiting eight turnovers. Over the second half, Nowitzki was 1-for-6 with three turnovers, and he didn't make a jump shot over the final 28:56 while growing noticeably frustrated by the persistent appearance of a second Spurs defender who forced the ball out of his hands when he dribbled. All the same, main defender Antonio McDyess wondered why Nowitzki wasn't more aggressive. "It wasn't the defense, he just wasn't taking them,'' said McDyess of Nowitzki's failure to launch. "It looked like he was a little reluctant because we were shifting on him a lot and getting off him. I don't think he ever really knew when to take his shot. He had some open shots, but he just wasn't taking them.''

• Nowitzki's anger flared after he was assessed a technical foul for throwing a high elbow at rookie DeJuan Blair while blocking him out on a Spurs foul shot, and the ensuing free throw by Manu Ginobili gave San Antonio a 62-57 lead with 1:34 left in the third. Then the fourth quarter opened with Mavs forward Eduardo Najera -- a 1996 graduate of San Antonio's Cornerstone Christian Academy -- breaking up a Ginobili drive by spinning him to the floor with his left hand around Ginobili's throat. Najera's Flagrant 2 ejection turned into a four-point play, thanks to Ginobili's technical free throws and a subsequent tip-in by Blair to leave Dallas trailing 70-61 and the crowd roaring for more.

• The name is George Hill. The pressure was on Hill, who had been shooting 8-for-25 over the first three playoff games while starting at point guard ahead of Tony Parker. "I finally have my feet back under me,'' said Hill, who had been troubled by a sprained ankle in recent weeks. That recovery was urgently needed: He made 5-of--6 three-pointers, including one to conclude each of the first three quarters.

Duncan (1-of-9) had four points and didn't make a field goal until he tipped one in with 4:11 remaining. Ginobili was 4-of-16, and Parker was held to 10 points on nine shots. How could Dallas lose while forcing those three stars to miss 73% of their attempts? "Well, when you get another guy going 11-for-16 and hits five threes, it could easily happen,'' said Mavs coach Rick Carlisle. "If you additionally get your (expletive) kicked on 5-to-7 loose-ball plays, that certainly contributes to losing. We played hard, but there's a set of plays in the last couple of games where we've got to get down-and-dirty. We have to come up with balls that are 50-50 balls. That's where the game is being won and lost.''

• The supporting cast. Richard Jefferson had 15 points on nine shots, McDyess had 10 points and eight rebounds and Blair put his 265 pounds to good use with seven points and seven rebounds in 12 crucial minutes. Which is not to forget the night of nights had by George Hill.

While five of Nowitzki's teammates scored in double figures, they didn't produce the big plays needed to either win the game on their own or open the floor for him. "They aren't guarding some of our guys,'' said Nowitzki. Neither Jason Kidd (10 points and five assists) nor Jason Terry (13 points) responded with the necessary big game.

• Is it over? Of course not. As badly as the Mavs have mangled the last three games, they've had chances to steal any or all of them. The margin is so small, they could win Monday to force a Game 6 here that the Spurs could not afford to lose.

To see how the Spurs have succeeded in throttling the favored Mavs -- using a variety of chokeholds to win each of the last three games in a different way -- is to be reminded of them at their championship best over the last decade. Many opponents over those years would look up at the scoreboard with thoughts of how close they'd come to beating San Antonio. In most of those cases, however, they were deluding themselves.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/04/26/spurs.mavs.game4/index.html#ixzz0mBPLTvWF
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

spursfan09
04-26-2010, 12:59 AM
o geez here they come...

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Interesting to hear that from an objective source. No one knows how it will all play out this year for the Spurs, but after the late-season surge and what we've seen so far in round 1, I do believe the Spurs do at least belong in the championship conversation.

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-26-2010, 01:01 AM
o geez here they come...

Huh? I don't follow.

spursfan09
04-26-2010, 01:02 AM
They're jumping on the bandwagon.

spursfan09
04-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Like the media is. Sorry!

EricB
04-26-2010, 01:04 AM
o geez here they come...
yeah positive press how horrid....

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-26-2010, 01:05 AM

Ah... well, that's how it works, I guess. If we're basing it on what we've seen so far in round 1, it's probably not inaccurate to say the Spurs are the team to beat in the West.

jestersmash
04-26-2010, 01:06 AM
This series is a few missed clutch Parker jumpers (game 3) and a clutch ginobili 3 point shot (game 4) away from being 3-1 in the Mavs favor.

I'd say what I think about our chances but I'd rather not be a debbie downer after a win.

Hopefully, I said it all with my first sentence without having to get too unnecessarily harsh about it.

alchemist
04-26-2010, 01:09 AM
folks need a slice of humble pie :lol there's still a Game 5 :toast

spursfan09
04-26-2010, 01:09 AM

:rolleyes

I'm just sayin, Spurs coming out of the West sounds to far fetched right now.

m33p0
04-26-2010, 01:10 AM
si.com eating their crow already? none of 'em experts picked the spurs.

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-26-2010, 01:10 AM
This series is a few missed clutch Parker jumpers (game 3) and a clutch ginobili 3 point shot (game 4) away from being 3-1 in the Mavs favor.

I'd say what I think about our chances but I'd rather not be a debbie downer after a win.

Hopefully, I said it all with my first sentence without having to get too unnecessarily harsh about it.

Whenever you have 2 good teams, that's usually the case. Look at the Kobe-Shaq Lakers series against Sacramento. Classic battles. Every game seemed to be a nail biter. But the better team always came out on top.

spursfan09
04-26-2010, 01:11 AM

Oops! Looks like I took that role.

Udokafan05
04-26-2010, 01:11 AM

My first thought exactly

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-26-2010, 01:14 AM
:rolleyes

I'm just sayin, Spurs coming out of the West sounds to far fetched right now.

I can't imagine why that would sound so farfetched. I think Ian Thomsen outlined well the reasons why that's not at all farfetched.

Cry Havoc
04-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Shocker.... a healthy Spurs team is a tough squad to beat in the playoffs.

spursfan09
04-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Every game brings a different story line. I just want the Spurs to finish this series out. Thats all.

NFGIII
04-26-2010, 01:17 AM

All the games have been close and I don't see it any different in game 5. In fact I think the the Mavs fire all barrels right from the start Tuesday. They have to or it might be over before they know it. This team is tettering on the brink and scrambling to find the answers.

And as you said it could be easily a 3-1 Mavs lead but - playing the if game - if the Spurs had cut down on the TOs and made those blown layups in game 1 this series could have been over - Spurs sweep. But like I said that's a what itf scenario and you can make those turn out anyway you want.

:flag:

jag
04-26-2010, 01:18 AM
I'd rather the media not pick the Spurs. I'm not sure why, I'd just rather them be "under the radar," so to speak.

spursfan09
04-26-2010, 01:18 AM
But I guess thats why its okay for the media and fans to look ahead, as long as its not the players themselves.

Sisk
04-26-2010, 01:19 AM

Actually, it kind of does piss me off. I don't want Charles anywhere near our bandwagon this year.

I want him to eat his words and continue to do so.

spursfan09
04-26-2010, 01:19 AM
I'd rather the media not pick the Spurs. I'm not sure why, I'd just rather them be "under the radar," so to speak.

:tu

NewJerSpur
04-26-2010, 01:23 AM
Actually, it kind of does piss me off. I don't want Charles anywhere near our bandwagon this year.

I want him to eat his words and continue to do so.

Sadly, he gave up on us last year after riding out the rough times.....not that it wasn't legit last year given the circumstances, but he acted like we weren't a few games from taking the division with a week to go in the season.

itzsoweezee
04-26-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm sure everyone will be picking the Suns over the Spurs next round, if that indeed is the matchup. So don't worry about bandwagoners too much.

As far as being the team to beat - i don't know. The Jazz appear to be playing as good as the Spurs right now; they kind of scare me.

LakerHater
04-26-2010, 01:25 AM
....Lets not get ahead of ourselfs!!!

Lets jus win this series!

Blackjack
04-26-2010, 01:29 AM
The Spurs are suddenly the team to beat.

http://www.drmikemoore.com/bookstore/images/ProductCovers__f50.jpg

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/amd_billparcells.jpg

Pump the brakes there, Ian . . .

:hat

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-26-2010, 01:36 AM
Note:

Is it over? Of course not. As badly as the Mavs have mangled the last three games, they've had chances to steal any or all of them. The margin is so small, they could win Monday to force a Game 6 here that the Spurs could not afford to lose.

Sure, we could win game 5 because the Mavs look shattered. But the Mavs will be at home, backs to the wall, they'll get the calls, and if they win game 5 the series could easily go 7.

Let's finish the series, and maybe a couple more, before we start a championship circle-jerk. ;) :lmao

NFGIII
04-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Right now the Spurs are good press so they are jumping all over it. Whould of thunk it? The Spurs were wobbling all over the place during the regular season and now are playing championship type ball. The media is always looking for the angle and the Spurs by their play have provided it. If they lose badly Tuesday look for some of them to start jumping off.

And frankly how really cares what they think?

Man In Black
04-26-2010, 02:11 AM
I bet you the 4-letter hates it that a small market team is beating a large market team yet again. You know what that means? It means that they will just not cover it until they are forced to.

GO SPURS GO! Wrecking Big City is what they do!

boutons_deux
04-26-2010, 02:14 AM
A few months ago, when the Spurs were a depressing, flaccid mediocrity, and Dallas was looking great, Dirk said he wasn't worried about the Spurs, that they'd be there in the playoffs like always. :)

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2010, 02:19 AM
did wayne brady taught ghill3 how to choke a bitch? cause it looks like it on the mavs roster

jjktkk
04-26-2010, 02:33 AM

No, Ian Thomsen has been on the Spurs bandwagon all season, even picked them to win the Championship this year.

Correction. Jack McCallum of SI predicted the Spurs to win it all this year.

z0sa
04-26-2010, 02:37 AM
Don't know, don't care. All we can do is beat the team put in front of us 4 out of 7 times. When we're done doing that, bring another one. When no teams remain, raise up the trophy. That's all we can focus on now.

Avitus1
04-26-2010, 02:37 AM
One game at a time.

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-26-2010, 06:44 AM
One game at a time.

Yeah, that's how the PLAYERS have to approach it. But as fans, it's our duty to imagine what's possible, isn't it? And this point, MUCH more seems possible than it did just a month ago.

buttsR4rebounding
04-26-2010, 07:06 AM
I'm sure everyone will be picking the Suns over the Spurs next round, if that indeed is the matchup. So don't worry about bandwagoners too much.

As far as being the team to beat - i don't know. The Jazz appear to be playing as good as the Spurs right now; they kind of scare me.

If the Jazz meet the Spurs in the Western Conf finals it may be the first time you see games in that round on NBA TV...

tuncaboylu
04-26-2010, 07:15 AM

I don't think that everyone will pick Suns over the Spurs especially if we would close Dallas series out tomorrow. Suns isn't commaning against Portland and they should reach 3 wins before Roy coming back. Now they're in trouble and it seems that it will last in 7 games.

Jazz doesn't scare me, they're playing against a team which doesn't have their coach at the moment. I prefer to play against Utah instead of Lakers in every day of year.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 07:20 AM

You mean like 99% of the Spurs fans in this site?

FkLA
04-26-2010, 07:44 AM

This is true. Too many of you gave up on this team, failing to realize that the Spurs were simply losing the close games they are now winning...have they improved some, especially in closing games, since early in the season? Sure. But they were never that bad to begin with, certainly not to the point where they shouldve "tanked the season" like alot of people around here were suggesting. There's a difference between being realistic about the teams chances and being a spoiled fairweathered fan, alot of people around here seem to be the latter.

sa_butta
04-26-2010, 08:37 AM
I would rather not be the favorites at all, lets just stay under the radar and take it one game at a time.

MannyIsGod
04-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Not only do you suck at basketball analysis you suck at math too!

Mixability
04-26-2010, 09:27 AM
gotta take it one game at a time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2010, 10:16 AM

It's a Dirk Nowitzki lovefest by the referees in game 1 from being over, if we're playing whatifs.

duhoh
04-26-2010, 11:01 AM

the jazz have no pressure on them. they're not supposed to win with two important guys out.

AD for the nuggs has been terribad.

i will say that i didn't expect this at all from our boys. good stuff.

Mavs101
04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
A few months ago, when the Spurs were a depressing, flaccid mediocrity, and Dallas was looking great, Dirk said he wasn't worried about the Spurs, that they'd be there in the playoffs like always. :)

Dirk knows Pop and all the players on the SA team are resilient. You can never count them out. Health has returned to the team, they are playing "team" basketball, and the Mavs are not responding well to the looks they are getting from the Spurs defense. It's very one sided right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs come out of the West and go to the finals if they continue to play like this. The favorites in all series are looking uncharacteristic. The lower seeds are playing with more intensity and heart than the favorites. I'd love to see a Utah/San Antonio WCF. Could be a great series. I still think this series goes at least 6... if it goes 7, everyone is going to be sweating. LOL

E-RockWill
04-26-2010, 11:45 AM

+1
As much shit as I've given you, I find myself agreeing w/ the majority of your posts lately.

spursfan09
04-26-2010, 07:53 PM

says the Celtics fan who registered 9/13/08.

MarceloM!
04-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah, this is Spurs's Year.

DPG21920
04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Spurs have gone from way underrated to way overrated in just 4 games.

manu the best
04-26-2010, 08:50 PM
.. i just wish we can end it on game 5 .. GO SPURS GO ..

SPURSCHAMP
04-26-2010, 09:03 PM
call me negative but i don't have a really good feeling i mean theyre desperate and probably will win game 5 and r a good road team so they might win game 6 and maybe game 7. lol lots of prob,maybe,might

TIMMYD!
04-26-2010, 09:11 PM
This isn't over yet!

When it is, I'll pay more attention to all of these stories.

ManuTastic
04-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Going by Spurs history, they probably lose game 5. But could _allas win 3 games in a row? No.

The better question is: with everyone coming online finally, how good is this team? Finally all healthy now: Hill, Parker, Manu, Tim. Finally playing up to their potential (largely): Jefferson, McDyess. Personally, I must admit it, I'm a bit psyched. This could get good.

Fundamental
04-26-2010, 09:42 PM

Exactly.

To quote a comment I saw on some Dallas newspaper's forum after game three, and referring to seeing the "boring" spurs again.

"At first I was like, damn...these dudes again???, but after watching them play some solid basketball Friday night I was like, DAMN...these dudes AGAIN!!!"

Almost all season long i've been having supposedly solid long-time Spurs fans tell me i'm delusional if i think "this" particular Spurs team was going to A. make the playoffs or B. get out of the first round. Glad to see those "fans" might just have to eat their words.

TVI
04-26-2010, 10:13 PM

While that's true, you could say the exact same thing about the 2006 playoff series on behalf of the Spurs. It's the little things that make all the difference between winning and losing.

Kent_in_Atlanta
04-26-2010, 10:23 PM

How can you say that with any confidence? We don't know what this team is capable of. We haven't seen this team until now. For most of the season this team looked disjointed. In the final 6 weeks of the season, they finally began to gel, and finally showed they could beat the best teams in the league (Cavs, Lakers, Magic & others)... but they weren't healthy.

Until this series, this Spurs team has either been disjointed or not healthy. Again, we haven't seen THIS team until now. So it's a little hard to say they're underrated or overrated at this point.

Besides, whether or not saying they're the favorites in the West is overrating them... depends on the level of competition as well. And I don't see a team without flaws. I don't see a team that's clearly, without a doubt, better than the Spurs.