PDA

View Full Version : DeJuan Blair - More Minutes?

jsandiego
04-26-2010, 09:18 AM
I think The Beast was excellent this weekend. He had great energy and finally got a bucket to drop!

I think his minutes, based on matchups, shouldn't get more than 15-20/game. I think he's FAR more valuable than a JJ Barea. Similar to Barea though, I think Blair, at this point in his career, is GREAT as an energy guy, but can be exposed defensively if he plays extended minutes. This guy is a rebounding MONSTER - congrats to Pop for putting him in situations to succeed. I'm so glad he actually played a rookie!

Whatcha think about DJB's allocation of minutes? 12? 15? 20? 30?!?
:flag:

coyotes_geek
04-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Now that Dejuan is settling in his minutes should go up, but a lot of it is also going to depend on matchups. For example, assuming the Spurs finish off the mavs, I'd expect Blair to get more minutes against phoenix than he would against portland.

tuncaboylu
04-26-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm fine with Blair's minutes, he gives his everything when he's on court and is not staying long enough to face against the counter tactics of Carlisle against him. He needs to gain some experience, he's rookie. He's in similar position with Beabouis in Dallas, who played only 5 minutes in this series.

Barea is an experienced guy, it's his 3rd year in the league. You can't compare it with Blair, maybe you can compare him with Hill. Hill is playing much more than Barea in this series.

SpurCharger
04-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Yeah Dejuan Blair Is all About matchups...... Dallas has no down Low Presence, Maybe he can get a lil run against a Phoenix, Maybe Utah..... But The lakers and Blazers he should get minimal run, because he becomes a liabilty on the defensive block.

Manufan909
04-26-2010, 10:26 PM
He can play against the Lakers only when Gasol is not on. Pop seems to not factor that, and then Gasol just swishes jumpers with Blair on him. Blair might have long arms, but he needs to use his strength to make Gasol uncomfortable, and force Pau to fight for his spots on O.

Strike
04-26-2010, 10:29 PM
I think he's getting the right amount of minutes. He still draws dumb fouls from time to time and misses easy shots in the paint. His energy is awesome and needed at times but he needs another year under his belt before he starts drawing major minutes in the playoffs.

DesignatedT
04-26-2010, 10:30 PM
he looked a lot more comfortable at home with the crowd behind him. looked very flustered in games 1 and 2.

Buddy Holly
04-27-2010, 12:33 AM
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5753/beastdv.jpg

xellos88330
04-27-2010, 01:28 AM
I am torn on this matter.

I know the kid has got some potential in him and really want to see it explode in these playoffs. At the same time however, I do not want to risk a potential backfire. I guess that is why I am a fan and not a coach.

MaNu4Tres
04-27-2010, 01:32 AM
12-18 minutes seems ideal.

I just hope he continues to see more minutes than Bonner.

Manufan909
04-27-2010, 01:35 AM
Without a reliable third big, he's all Pop has. And since Pop can't afford the starting bigs never getting a nice rest, Blair needs to prove small ball is not the answer. Pop should actively sub him the way he does Dice (to guard Dirk), but Blair would go in when one or more opposing mediocre bigs came in, or the other team went small.

Man In Black
04-27-2010, 01:46 AM
Against the Lakers, his only job should be to battle for offensive rebounds and to cover Andrew Bynum. Unlike Gasol, who is more nimble of foot, Bynum doesn't like a smaller cover with a wide power base because, in Andrew's own words, they have the girth to get into his legs and it impedes his game.
That right there is tailor-made for a DeJuan Blair.

Cane
04-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Only thing I don't like about Blair is that my cynical mind thinks he'll get a ton of bad calls from the refs for simply being a rookie especially at an away game. He also plays with a lot of muscle which can backfire considering his experience level.

I like that he keeps a calm head and plays like he does though.

You know whats motherfucking crazy? DeJuan Blair leads the Spurs in Playoffs PER and is 7th in the league. He's a stat machine even though he missed a lot of easy shots earler in the series.

raspsa
04-27-2010, 01:52 AM
Consistency is his problem. If he shows he can be productive, give him as many minutes as he wants. If he's sucking, yank him.

Sisk
04-27-2010, 01:55 AM
i doubt he gets above 10 minutes tomorrow.

kaji157
04-27-2010, 02:11 AM
I am sure that everyone not named Pop wants him to get more minutes than Bonner at least.

By the way, following the law of averages, Bonner should be on fire for the next games in order to be back at his average shooting %. Anyone thinks he will??

coyotes_geek
04-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Against the Lakers, his only job should be to battle for offensive rebounds and to cover Andrew Bynum. Unlike Gasol, who is more nimble of foot, Bynum doesn't like a smaller cover with a wide power base because, in Andrew's own words, they have the girth to get into his legs and it impedes his game.
That right there is tailor-made for a DeJuan Blair.

Bynum is way too tall and has way too long of arms for Blair to be able to guard him. The lakers are just a bad matchup in terms of looking to get minutes for Dejuan.

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2010, 07:42 AM
bonner is due for a outbreak game? lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-27-2010, 08:15 AM
"Break out" game, mate... outbreak game sounds like he's due for a virus! :lmao

Blair, at this point in his career, is GREAT as an energy guy, but can be exposed defensively if he plays extended minutes. This guy is a rebounding MONSTER - congrats to Pop for putting him in situations to succeed. I'm so glad he actually played a rookie!

I agree with this. Grizzly's's energy and offensive rebounding can totally change the momentum of a game, but teams do tend to adjust to it and go at him on the other end, so he should be used for short bursts when matchups are right.

Pop needs to use him more tactically and more carefully than any other player - most rotations suggest themselves at this time of the season, but Pop has to use Blair carefully in the flow of the game - and if he's not succeeding sit him.

Blair is as good an offensive rebounder as I've seen in a long time... he just seems ever-present on that offensive glass mopping up our misses. During the regular season he grabbed 2.4 O boards per game in 18 minutes, good for 19th in the league unadjusted for time. I tried to search the top offensive rebound rates per minute in the NBA but couldn't find them... pretty sure he's top 5 though.

Mel_13
04-27-2010, 09:12 AM
"Break out" game, mate... outbreak game sounds like he's due for a virus! :lmao

I agree with this. Grizzly's's energy and offensive rebounding can totally change the momentum of a game, but teams do tend to adjust to it and go at him on the other end, so he should be used for short bursts when matchups are right.

Pop needs to use him more tactically and more carefully than any other player - most rotations suggest themselves at this time of the season, but Pop has to use Blair carefully in the flow of the game - and if he's not succeeding sit him.

Blair is as good an offensive rebounder as I've seen in a long time... he just seems ever-present on that offensive glass mopping up our misses. During the regular season he grabbed 2.4 O boards per game in 18 minutes, good for 19th in the league unadjusted for time. I tried to search the top offensive rebound rates per minute in the NBA but couldn't find them... pretty sure he's top 5 though.

I used 820 minutes played (10mpg x 82 games) to capture all rotation players in the league. Blair is first is Off Reb rate and percentage:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2010&year_max=2010&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&lg_id=&franch_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=mp&c1comp=gt&c1val=820&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=orb_per_mp

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2010&year_max=2010&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&lg_id=&franch_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=mp&c1comp=gt&c1val=820&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=orb_pct

scottspurs
04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I hope he takes bonner's minutes and gets 20-25 minutes a night from here on out. I say Bonner gets some early burn, if he is terrible (and he will be) give the rest of his minutes that night to Blair.

EricB
04-27-2010, 11:55 AM
For some reason I have this weird feeling bonne makes like 4 threes tonight and Blair has a monster game. Duncan doesn't go over 35 mins.
Personally the rotation should be Blair for mcdyess at the 5 minute mark bonner for Duncan at the 2 minute mark dyess in for bonner at the 9 minute mark and Duncan for Blair at the 7 minute mark.

Minimize bonner Blair gets more run you stay big and IMO dyess should get a bit more PT this being an elimination game and all.

dbestpro
04-27-2010, 12:04 PM
12-18 minutes seems ideal.

I just hope he continues to see more minutes than Bonner.

Agreed. 7 points and 7 rebounds in 12 minutes is better than 10 and 10 in 25. It is the burst of energy that is the value that the team needs now. If he has to pace himself then he might go from beast to dog.

Also, not reflected in the stats is the fact that he usually struggles to defend taller players in the paint.

jsandiego
04-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Agreed. 7 points and 7 rebounds in 12 minutes is better than 10 and 10 in 25. It is the burst of energy that is the value that the team needs now. If he has to pace himself then he might go from beast to dog.

Also, not reflected in the stats is the fact that he usually struggles to defend taller players in the paint.

That's my thinking as well. Didn't want this thread to come off as an anti-Beast thread, so I'm glad people didn't take it that way. DJB is awesome, but his role is limited this early in his career. If he can provide energy and offensive tip-ins, and help us close out the first quarter, then he'll earn extra minutes in the 2nd half. I love that we drafted this guy!

rjv
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
pop did not stick with bonner in game 4 when he went 0-2 on threes and opted for blair who was getting important boards and some easy shots when we needed points. i expect the same philosophy tonight. if bonner is not doing well, look for blair to get extended minutes. but if bonner is popping 3's then blair's minutes will be less than in game 4.