PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dirk

Whisky Dog
04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't remember so maybe someone here who does can enlighten me, but did Dirk attack the basket at all after taking the flagrant across the face from Jefferson? I didn't think he did, which would indicate he wanted none if that contact again.

coyotes_geek
04-26-2010, 10:55 AM
According to the play by play log Dirk's post-flagrant shot attempts included three jumpers (all misses), a made layup, plus he shot two free throws.

DarrinS
04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Dirk's "drives" typically end 10-feet from the basket.

Buddy Holly
04-26-2010, 11:23 AM
He had the and 1 drive but that's it I think.

Nathan Explosion
04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
I saw him attack the basket. Problem was, he was so angry he was out of control and did more damage than good.

MateoNeygro
04-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Dirk rarely attacks the basket he's kind of a pussy that way.

DesignatedT
04-26-2010, 12:55 PM
i remember him getting an and 1 one time. that's about it. I love how the refs are letting them play for the most part. unlike game 1.

K-State Spur
04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Dirk rarely attacks the basket he's kind of a pussy that way.

He does have some success when he goes to the rim with defenders forced to play him so tight.

I heard a theory the other day that makes a lot of sense - he takes more jumpers early in the game to set up the drive more in the 4th quarter when they need it. He's not quick enough to get past a defender who is expecting it, so it's a bit more strategy than realized.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2010, 01:23 PM
He went right at three defenders, got smacked in the head and made the layup and the free throw. Spurs fans should be way past the myth that Dirk is a pussy.

NFGIII
04-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Over Dirk's career most state that he is mainly a jumper shooter and rarely drives. I think that except for the '06 season this is true. He, like KG, seem more content to shoot Js rather than drive into the paint and make contact. At this stage of his career he isn't going to change. This is a good thing for the Spurs, too.

Some say that reflects his softness but Dirk is what he is- the prototypical tall European player who learned early on to shoot from the outside and stay out of the paint. Why Europeans want to play this way I haven't a clue but for the most part this seems to be true. Dirk will never win a ring unless he has an interior post player willing to bang and score down low... aka ...TD, Shaq,,,etc.

Dallas doesn't have that and therefore will continue to waste his talents until he is old and gray. Now imagine if he was on the Spurs. He has exactly the interior play needed to compliment his style of play. What a nightmare that would be for the opposition. And I believe Pop would be able to make Dirk play credible D and put schemes into place in order to hide some of his defects.IMHO

Bonner times a million!

coyotes_geek
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
When you're as tall as Dirk and as good a shooter as Dirk is, you don't need to be attacking the basket all that much anyways. He's not afraid, he's playing to his strengths.

m33p0
04-26-2010, 03:45 PM
he couldn't. spurs jumped on him at every chance.

elec99
04-26-2010, 04:01 PM
When you're as tall as Dirk and as good a shooter as Dirk is, you don't need to be attacking the basket all that much anyways. He's not afraid, he's playing to his strengths.

Absolutely true, it's his game. And it has worked wonders in the reg season year after year. However in the POs, against a strong defensive team, I see that the iso dirk jump shots stop dropping. So now he's gotta either drive, something he doesn't do too often, or pass to someone else who can create his own shot.

Right now, I think the only guy they have is barea. I wonder why they don't go to beaubois, his speed has hurt us...

MarceloM!
04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
He's playing to his strengths. He is rude and very offensive player.

leemajors
04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
He went right at three defenders, got smacked in the head and made the layup and the free throw. Spurs fans should be way past the myth that Dirk is a pussy.

this.

Nathan Explosion
04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Some say that reflects his softness but Dirk is what he is- the prototypical tall European player who learned early on to shoot from the outside and stay out of the paint. Why Europeans want to play this way I haven't a clue but for the most part this seems to be true.

Wider lane in FIBA ball discourages post play. European players don't develop back to the basket games because they have a further distance to travel due to the trapezoidal lane.

I think FIBA went to a rectangular lane though, or are going to do it.

smrattler
04-26-2010, 06:14 PM
I don't remember so maybe someone here who does can enlighten me, but did Dirk attack the basket at all after taking the flagrant across the face from Jefferson? I didn't think he did, which would indicate he wanted none if that contact again.

He does not like contact. He does not like physical play.

He's probably the greatest shooting "big man" ever. That's his game. The rough stuff is not his cup of tea.

The_Worlds_finest
04-26-2010, 07:35 PM

If i was getting paid that type of money, I wouldn't either :). Hes on a loser team, surrounded by losers, paid by a loser. He needs to opt out and go somewhere else.

Dirk needs to go east. Boston, Bobcats, or Bulls.

CarnacTheMagnificent
04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
sometimes people make statements that are telling. When you say it, you can't un-say it and I know about your knowledge.
if you think dirk is soft, you don't know basketball. He takes as much abuse as anyone. And yes, I have seen him play probably more than most of you, and he does love to drive and is not afraid of contact.