PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden: Spurs’ edge over Mavs: Fear not

carina_gino20
04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
SAN ANTONIO – They traded elbows, bruises and fouls, two old Lone Star rivals cracking each other, and somewhere from this scrum the ball fittingly found its way to the man with the bandaged, busted nose. Manu Ginobili(notes) rose from the corner and buried a long, arcing shot, thrusting one more dagger into this Texas blood war.

These San Antonio Spurs don’t scare easily, and that explains as much as anything why they’re one victory from flooring the Dallas Mavericks. They entered the West playoffs as a No. 7 seed and could emerge from their opening series as the conference’s heavyweight. Ginobili’s fearlessness has always given the Spurs reason to believe, but this also now spreads from the youngest on their roster.

continue>> (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-mavsspurs042610)

Lebowski Brickowski
04-26-2010, 12:52 PM
“It’s just getting started,” Mavs guard Jason Terry(notes) vowed. “…It’s going to get a lot worse.”

I don't doubt it from this punk-cheap shot artist.

DesignatedT
04-26-2010, 12:54 PM
:lol at mavs players. why don't they just stop with all these moronic quotes and go out and win a game. they're not very bright.

boutons_deux
04-26-2010, 12:57 PM
JET is one stupid fuck.

MoSpur
04-26-2010, 12:58 PM
The quotes from Terry don't surprise me. He's very talented and a very good ball player, but he's not very bright. He needs to just focus and go out and ball.

Budkin
04-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Jason Terry for (yet another) loss.

Phenomanul
04-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Blair celebrated his 21st birthday just three days earlier. Hill will turn 24 in another week. The Spurs don’t usually win with players so young and with their stars contributing so little. Still, all of their championship teams owned the same trait: From Mario Elie to Stephen Jackson, from Steve Kerr to Bruce Bowen, from Malik Rose to Fabricio Oberto, the Spurs’ supporting casts were cut from the same sturdy fiber that Hill and Blair now share. There’s a reason why Jaren Jackson left the Spurs with a championship ring and Hedo Turkoglu didn’t... To survive in San Antonio, one must not only withstand the heat of the playoffs, but also Popovich’s personal fire.

Ouch...

Slomo
04-26-2010, 01:26 PM
"Over the course of a week, Gregg Popovich’s dog pound had somehow transformed from poodle to pit bull"

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/Miss_ludden.jpg

Mark in Austin
04-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't doubt it from this punk-cheap shot artist.

Terry's playing with a fractured face too, so my guess is he won't be cheap shotting Manu. If the Spurs have proven anything so far this offseason, it's that they've moved beyond not backing down to actually calling other teams players to account physically for their cheap shots.

As long as the refs manage to keep things from getting too far out of hand, I like this edge - the Spurs will need it for the rest of the playoffs, no matter how long or short their run is.

MoSpur
04-26-2010, 01:31 PM
:lol at Ludden taking a shot at RMJ

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
I love Ludden articles.

I hope the Spurs come out in game 5 with that game 4 second half intensity. The Spurs need to keep in mind that they could have easily lost any of the last three games and know not to let up. I've been impressed by this group so far...let's hope it continues.

TheProfessor
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Hill looked even worse when he initially arrived in San Antonio to work out. In one pick-up game, he was outplayed by the teen-aged son of Spurs director of player personnel Dell Demps.
:lol Sign that kid!

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
“It’s just getting started,” Mavs guard Jason Terry(notes) vowed. “…It’s going to get a lot worse.”

Cue Terry flagrant as they're losing in the fourth quarter of game 5.... he's such a cunt he will probably hit Manu in the face with a fist, too.

I only pray someone like Blair is there to cold cock that little piece of Dallas trash.

anakha
04-26-2010, 02:02 PM
I only pray someone like Blair is there to cold cock that little piece of Dallas trash.

Send Mason to do that instead. He's expendable.

duhoh
04-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Send Mason to do that instead. He's expendable.

like najera right? :toast

MannyIsGod
04-26-2010, 02:08 PM
there’s a reason why jaren jackson left the spurs with a championship ring and hedo turkoglu (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3415/;_ylt=a0pdln.l49vl_oiaoheezix4)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3415/news;_ylt=a0pdln.l49vl_oiaoxeezix4) didn’t.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

m33p0
04-26-2010, 02:17 PM
“Dirk being Dirk, me being me – and that’s not good,” Blair would later say with a laugh.:lol

EMS33
04-26-2010, 02:20 PM
If the mavs what to learn something from the spurs maybe they should shut their mouths and show somebody something on the court.

Kinda like when you were little, "actions speak louder than words." But its OK the mavs still have growing up to do, I mean we are "old" and "over the hill" but we have won four championships with our actions on the court. Maybe someday they will grow up a little and join the big boys with a ring or four. I just don't see that happening.

EricB
04-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Cue Terry flagrant as they're losing in the fourth quarter of game 5.... he's such a cunt he will probably hit Manu in the face with a fist, too.

Hopefully blair is smarter than that. After getting his ass chewed last night I think he will.

m33p0
04-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Nutcracker unleashed?

LoneStarState'sPride
04-26-2010, 02:31 PM
I guess diarrhea of the mouth is a requirement to be a mav.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah I don't want Blair suspended, just thinking of who on our squad could break that little bitch Terry in two with one punch.

Someone like Mason would definitely be a better sacrificial pawn. Maybe Hairston too :lol

That said, was thinking who would actually be on the court when something like that goes down.

Mark in Austin
04-26-2010, 02:34 PM

you know, I overlooked that line when I read the piece the first time.

Nice. :toast

SenorSpur
04-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I love the retaliation hard fouls administered by both RJ and Blair. If there are more to be dealt in Game 5, I trust one will be given to Turlehead, who I expect to replace Najera as the Mavs number one cheap shot artist.

SenorSpur
04-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah I don't want Blair suspended, just thinking of who on our squad could break that little bitch Terry in two with one punch.

Someone like Mason would definitely be a better sacrificial pawn. Maybe Hairston too :lol

That said, was thinking who would actually be on the court when something like that goes down.

Agree. I don't want Blair suspended either. I just want to see that little punk-ass bitch get his comeuppence.

Fpoonsie
04-26-2010, 02:44 PM

sRkE_Gv6ALM

Fpoonsie
04-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Honestly, I don't think they could afford to lose Terry. If things get outta control, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mavs' biggest cheerleader, Stephenson, come in to lay somebody out.

jjktkk
04-26-2010, 03:15 PM
I guess diarrhea of the mouth is a requirement to be a mav.

Absolutely its a requirement. Look at who the Mavs owner is. I love it when the Mavs annually show their charmon side and start to choke. Even better when the cameras show Cuban after a loss is priceless.

Ocotillo
04-26-2010, 03:35 PM
“He (Hill) just wasn’t ready mentally,” one team official said. “The playoffs are different.”

Maybe there is something to be said for giving young talented guys some burn so they can work their way through the experience.

We’re not going to back down, we’re not going to take hits and let them keep doing it,” Hill said. “…We can deliver the blow, too

Easy George, don't give Joey Crawford something to look for.

Manufan909
04-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Maybe there is something to be said for giving young talented guys some burn so they can work their way through the experience.

Hill is just stating the obvious fact that the Spurs aren't pussies. Terry was the one who'll be watched.

04-26-2010, 04:23 PM
this was a pretty good article. the spurs lacked the toughness and edge from its supporting cast last season, resulting in a first round exit. mason, bonner, udoka, and gooden shriveled under the pressure. i thought last season's mavs had comparable talent to the spurs but the spurs didn't have the right personality to deal with the mavs. now hill, blair, and mcdyess are definitely showing better promise. i hope they can keep it up because it looks like the big 3 needs more help than ever.

crc21209
04-26-2010, 04:28 PM
I love the retaliation hard fouls administered by both RJ and Blair. If there are more to be dealt in Game 5, I trust one will be given to Turlehead, who I expect to replace Najera as the Mavs number one cheap shot artist.

I loved the hard fouls by them as well, and that's all they were- good hard fouls, not flagrants like the refs felt they were. And :lol at the comment about Hedo not leaving with a ring but Jaren Jackson leaving with one, it's funny..but true. You gotta have those hard-nosed tough rugged players on your team sometimes. In previous years it was Jaren Jackson, Stephen Jackson, Horry, etc. Now it's the young guys' turn to step up and not back down...BIG props to Blair, Hill and RJ. :tu

crc21209
04-26-2010, 04:29 PM

He's just talking about NOT backing down....we're not little bitches like the Mavs...we actually have some class.

pjjrfan
04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
I agree with Ludden's last statement, the spurs already believe they can win this.

DPG21920
04-26-2010, 05:20 PM
I love Ludden articles.

I hope the Spurs come out in game 5 with that game 4 second half intensity. The Spurs need to keep in mind that they could have easily lost any of the last three games and know not to let up. I've been impressed by this group so far...let's hope it continues.

I agree. People here have become a bit blinded by the 3-1 and how great that looks. Spurs could easily be down 3-1 right now. Game 5 in a situation like this is incredibly difficult to win.

lurker23
04-27-2010, 04:55 AM
Great article. I hope they keep Ludden following the Spurs series, though I imagine they might send him to the other WCSF series, since he's been writing perhaps "too many" stories on the Spurs.

Great to have Hill and Blair inject some youth and toughness into this team. It bodes well for the future to have such hard-nosed guys at the center of it all.

BronxCowboy
04-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Remember that Nets game when Vince was absolutely going off and Bowen kept messing with him and a headbutt or something finally went down and Carter got tossed? I always thought JET was the kind of player that a trick like this would probably work on. Too bad nobody on the current Spurs team is likely to pull it off. Bogans would be a good choice if he had Bowen's cool head... it wouldn't hurt the Spurs if he got tossed too, and he doesn't seem to mind contact.

Horse
04-27-2010, 09:01 AM
This coming from the guy who punched finley in the balls. The mavs have talent all around their problem as always is dirk and terry are pussies if they were'nt they would win.

temujin
04-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Sign Robert Horry with a 2 days contract.

ShoogarBear
04-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Great line. I was just about to quote it myself.

gospursgojas
04-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Link is broken...can someone post the article?

EDIT: Neverminds