PDA

View Full Version : With Hill's Emergence, Spurs Backcourt Gets Mighty Interesting

duncan228
04-26-2010, 01:08 PM
With Hill's Emergence, Spurs Backcourt Gets Mighty Interesting (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/26/with-hills-emergence-spurs-backcourt-gets-mighty-interesting/)
By Tom Ziller

George Hill was the most effective player on the court for the entirety of San Antonio's Game 4 win over the Mavericks, a victory which took the Spurs to a 3-1 series lead and placed the title-hopefuls in Dallas squarely on the brink of elimination. Hill, a second-year player who made the Spurs front office look smart by effectively spelling star point guard Tony Parker throughout 2008-09, scored a game-high 29 points, and it looked nothing like a fluke. Hill had eight points in the first quarter as the Spurs jumped out to a 20-17 lead, then five in the second quarter and 16 in the second half while playing all 24 minutes after the break.

Hill has been starting over Parker, the $12.6 million guard, during these playoffs. Parker, of course, has been effective himself, averaging 17 points and five assists in 32 minutes over the four games. But Hill was out of sight over the two games at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, scoring a total of 46 points. As Manu Ginobili (still brilliant, as the Mavericks' defenders will testify) has been retained for the next three seasons, Hill's emergence, an ascension begun soon after his acquisition nearly two years ago, has placed some question marks around the Spurs' backcourt. Or, exclamation marks.

Either way, Hill makes the San Antonio backcourt mighty interesting.

Gregg Popovich hasn't had three guards this potent since 2002-03, when Stephen Jackson began his rise to stardom. During that title season, Jackson started 58 games next to a 20-year-old Parker, with a rookie 25-year-old Ginobili playing 20 minutes a game off the bench. That team is remembered best for the final hurrah of the Twin Towers, Tim Duncan and David Robinson. But the combinations Popovich was able to toss out in his guard line really helped the big fellas get it done. With Duncan now aging, and the supporting frontcourt decidedly less potent than Robinson, Pop needs his guards to be better than ever.

On first glance, having two solid point guards might seem like a luxury the Spurs can't afford, not with holes at small forward and around Duncan. This is where the Spurs' shocking decision to spend big (in the form of a 2009 trade for Richard Jefferson) for these final championship attempts with Duncan messes up the conventional wisdom. Regardless of whether Jefferson really does opt out of his 2010-11 contract for $15.2 million, we can't expect the Spurs to avoid salary like the plague: these are the throes of a dynasty, and the actors involved want another ring. That could happen this year, especially considering that the Spurs are having an easier first round than any of the West's top-4 seeds. But if it doesn't, the Spurs clearly don't think they're dead, or else Ginobili wouldn't have had his contract extended. The window's staying open, and the Spurs look to smuggle as much hope as possible through it.

That's why you have to believe that, unless a deal for a big man Pop and R.C. Buford can't pass up comes along, the Spurs will keep the Parker-Hill-Ginobili trio together. Right now, starting Hill (the cheap young one) and Manu (the magnificent but aging one) while Parker (the expensive and famous one) comes off the bench, that works. It remains to be seen whether the Frenchman will be content in a Manu-like role for an entire season, or if Popovich will be determined to return Hill or experienced sixth-man Ginobili to the third-guard position. Whichever way it's sliced, it looks beautiful right now, with each of the three turning in superlative performances as the Spurs find themselves in command of a series. Again.

Old School 44
04-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Best guard rotation in the league!

FromWayDowntown
04-26-2010, 01:44 PM
The three-guard rotation of Hill, Parker, and Ginobili reminds me to a very large degree of the three-wing rotation of Bowen, Jackson, and Ginobili in 2003. They're almost interchangeable parts with different and complimentary strengths; if you need defense, you can play Hill and Ginobili (but if you play Parker, you don't lose that much); if you need more offense, you can play Parker and Ginobili (but if you play Hill, you don't lose that much); if teams go small, you can play all 3.

NFGIII
04-26-2010, 01:54 PM
That's why you have to believe that, unless a deal for a big man Pop and R.C. Buford can't pass up comes along, the Spurs will keep the Parker-Hill-Ginobili trio together. Right now, starting Hill (the cheap young one) and Manu (the magnificent but aging one) while Parker (the expensive and famous one) comes off the bench, that works. It remains to be seen whether the Frenchman will be content in a Manu-like role for an entire season, or if Popovich will be determined to return Hill or experienced sixth-man Ginobili to the third-guard position. Whichever way it's sliced, it looks beautiful right now, with each of the three turning in superlative performances as the Spurs find themselves in command of a series. Again.

With the prospect of Splitter coming over next year being more than likely I don't see a deal like that happening. I could be wrong but just don't see it. And big men are few and far between so to get one would mean letting go of significant talent. And the talent most would want is HIll or Parker and I really don't think the FO would be inclined to do that knowing Tiago is coming. I would think they would want to see how Taigo integrates with the Spurs before making any kind of deal for a big. IMHO

wildbill2u
04-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Keep 'em all and terrify the rest of the league with our version of the triangle offense.

NFGIII
04-26-2010, 02:01 PM
The three-guard rotation of Hill, Parker, and Ginobili reminds me to a very large degree of the three-wing rotation of Bowen, Jackson, and Ginobili in 2003. They're almost interchangeable parts with different and complimentary strengths; if you need defense, you can play Hill and Ginobili (but if you play Parker, you don't lose that much); if you need more offense, you can play Parker and Ginobili (but if you play Hill, you don't lose that much); if teams go small, you can play all 3.

And your desription about our guards makes this all the more wispfull in one sense to me. If only Splitter had come when we first thought he would, regardless of what actually did happpen and the circumstance surrounding it, If we had Splitter then we have the legit 5 to play twin towers with TD. Damn if we had been able to get Splitter then imagine him starting at the 5 with Dice coming off the bench.

Oh to dream!

PDXSpursFan
04-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Keep the 3. Injuries happen. Just look at the last 2 years.

Dingle Barry
04-26-2010, 02:02 PM
And how nice would it be to finally strike gold with a SF in the draft?

coyotes_geek
04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
With the prospect of Splitter coming over next year being more than likely I don't see a deal like that happening. I could be wrong but just don't see it. And big men are few and far between so to get one would mean letting go of significant talent. And the talent most would want is HIll or Parker and I really don't think the FO would be inclined to do that knowing Tiago is coming. I would think they would want to see how Taigo integrates with the Spurs before making any kind of deal for a big. IMHO

Agreed. It's going to take the likes of an Al Jefferson or Chris Kaman to get the Spurs to make a move.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Last month I was making the case that with Hill emerging and Manu's extension, if you can find a great deal on a big for Parker, you have to look at that trade.

I really think it comes down to what happens in June-July though.

If they get Splitter to come, and they get to take advantage of that #20 pick to land a good long SF type, then you keep Tony and get ready to go to war next year.

Otherwise, think it still has to be an option.

Reports are indicating Splitter is coming, and with that draft pick we should be able to land us a nice rotation SF.

All this is assuming RJ doesn't opt out.

m33p0
04-26-2010, 02:31 PM
i already feel sorry for nash and fisher. :lol

duncan228
04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Hoopsworld.

Spurs Guards Switch Harmoniously (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16057)
By: Yannis Koutroupis

It's no secret that NBA players have some of the most delicate egos in professional sports. Even with the luxury of guaranteed contracts a lot of players don't want to work hard, pout when they're taken out of a game, and think everything revolves around them. That kind of mentality has cost coaches their jobs and forced organizations to go into rebuilding mode.

The San Antonio Spurs don't deal with that kind of mindset. They've got no trouble letting go of someone who puts themselves ahead of the team, as they proved in March when they released Michael Finley. Coach Gregg Popovich was playing with fire though when he made the decision to bring Tony Parker off the bench.

Parker has established himself as one of the premier players in the world and a top point guard in the NBA. He's won three championships and has a Finals MVP to his credit. Just about any other player with his credentials would laugh at the idea of being a sixth man, especially to a second-year guard like George Hill that has never been past the first round. Yet Parker has taken to the role and thrived, helping lead the Spurs to a 3-1 advantage over the favored Dallas Mavericks.

"He's doing better and better every game," recognized Coach Popovich. "He realizes how important the bench is. It's important to get that push and he's provided that.

When you change roles with somebody it's tough and we appreciate the fact that he understands it and is doing well at it."

"That's the Spurs organization in general," pointed out Richard Jefferson. "Manu is an All-NBA player who has been an All-Star multiple times. He's come off the bench throughout his career. You have to be selfless if you're going to win and have as much success that they've had. Tony knows it's about how you finish the game. He's taken the role that Manu had."

"It's a little bit different," acknowledged Parker. "You have to play quicker, you don't have time to get a feel for the game. You have to come out and be aggressive. I learned from watching Manu doing it for so many years. I'm just trying to get into that mentality that when I come in to give a boost and help my team. To a certain extent (there's an advantage to coming off the bench), the first 6 minutes you watch and see what they do in pick-and-rolls. It helps a bit."

At the beginning of the playoffs it seemed like Popovich was doing the Mavericks a favor by keeping Tony on the bench. A sprained ankle limited Hill to just seven points in the first two games, making it easy for Coach Popovich to go back to starting Parker had he been one to panic. He didn't abandon his decision though and it paid off for him significantly in Game 4.

On Sunday the Big Three shot 9-34 from the field and at one point in the first half the Spurs trailed by 15. In the past they never would have won with those three shooting so poorly, but Hill spearheaded an incredible comeback with a playoff career-high of 29 points on 11-16 shooting from the field and 5-6 from distance.

"It shows that we are a complete team," stated Hill. "They believe in me and it shows they have confidence in me and I just try to deliver. It's the big three but for one of them to kick it out to a second year player says a lot. The big three will give you a chance to contribute and play that's all you can ask for. It's always the big three. You have to have everyone step up because you can't rely on just the big three. There is struggle in the game but it is a team game but individuals can contribute and help win games. I think we did this better in the second and we held each other accountable. It takes all 15 of us to win every game and that's exactly what our team mindset is right now."

Hill's stellar play and Parker's consistency has given Coach Popovich a lethal backcourt combination to go to during critical stretches.

"It's pretty fun (playing with Tony Parker)," noted Hill. "It's more of playing faster and trying to mess with the lineup. Playing with Tony is great because we can both play the one and two and get up on defense and speed up the tempo of the game. It was a good job by Pop to try to put us in situations to speed it up and boost up the lead that we had."

All season long the Spurs have been questioned, doubted, and left for dead. The move of Parker to the bench appeared to be the precursor to a summer full of changes. Instead it's turned out to be a move that has worked out well for both players and the Spurs team as a whole. They're one game away from upsetting the Mavericks and are once again looking like championship contenders.

Borosai
04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Really dangerous trio of guards, all of which can handle the ball, shoot, attack and finish in the paint. Good years ahead still.

MarceloM!
04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
This year, i'm only worried about Lakers. That will be the real final for us!

SpurOutofTownFan
04-26-2010, 11:36 PM
Really dangerous trio of guards, all of which can handle the ball, shoot, attack and finish in the paint. Good years ahead still.

Correct. They all have the ability to move the ball, assist or create their own shoot. That's pretty deep IMO.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Mad props to RC Buford for drafting Hill. I was pissed when we passed on Chalmers and CDR.

Can yall imagine if Portland had not bloaded us with Batum? We more than likely could have got Hill in the 2nd round because he was so off everyone's radar. We'd have Batum AND Hill.

Sickening.

Manufan909
04-27-2010, 12:00 AM
This year, i'm only worried about Lakers. That will be the real final for us!

I believe the Cavs and Magic are greater opponents, but to each his own. If TP is averaging 32 minutes, I don't see what the problem is. Next season he can keep those minutes, and Manu would go from 35.5 min to 25-28, making space to fit in another 2, like Hairston or Temple. Hill and Tony both playing over half an hour sounds fine to me, neither are close to declining. It sucks for the other guards in the rotation to have 3 stellar guys ahead of them, but I can live with that. If the Spurs truly go young and cheap like it appears is happening, I'm sure Pop will be able to manage minutes like only he can.

The bigs will have a significantly easier time getting time, with Dice and TD being the two oldest bigs, hell the only ones 30. Splitter should get serious minutes instantly, Blair should see 25+ and hopefully Pop finds time for the 5th man. If it's Ian and he doesn't get PT AGAIN, that would be some serious bullshit.

With SF, if this is the RJ the Spurs will have next season, any new SFs better step up big to earn more minutes. RJ doesn't seem like a player who needs his minutes monitored, so Pop wouldn't have any excuse besides integrating a rookie/new guy for the third straight season. He'll probably be bald by January.:p:

jb4g
04-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Assuming we beat the Mavs tonight:

Is it time to send Manu back to the bench and start Tony? Manu played such heavy minutes over the last 6 weeks im concerned it may catch up to him, or possibly already has after watching the last 2 games. Parker seems to have gotten himself in a rhythm, and with Hills breakout game 4 its safe to say he is back to form after the injury. Manu off the bench would also benefit Blair, we need more than 10-12 mins a game from him as we advance in the playoffs. I understand and agreed with Gino starting up to this point, hell we wouldnt be here without him. But over the last couple games IMO the team has played well with most any lineup on the floor that doesnt include Bonner....so im starting to think the time to make this move is now. Timing is good as well, if we get the win tonight this team could get 4 or 5 days off waiting for Phx/Por to finish, that would allow some practice time to work out any kinks.

thoughts?

draft87
04-27-2010, 10:00 AM
I apologize if I'm being redundant but there are so many playoff threads it's quite a task to read every single post. I skimmed through a bunch and I don't think there's been too much talk about these 'points'

I'm not trying to start a revolution or proclaim the Spurs champions after 3 wins, I just want to give some credit to

a) Parker. I'm really surprised the media isn't pumping up how valuable Parker's health and attitude are to this series. Parker at 100% is a huge boost to the offense, team defense, and the overall rotation. He has elevated the Spurs from Team making a strong end of season run into Well balanced team with confidence, chemistry, and more clearly defined roles that looks ready for a long postseason run.

This is the kind of stuff that sideline commentators usually eat up. What happens if Tony Parker gets grumpy about his role and makes waves coming from the bench? What if he thinks he's being overshadowed as a 6th man and when he gets on the floor he pulls a Kobe-focusing 98% of his energy on putting his offensive stamp on the game? Tony's attitude is so fucking awesome that he makes the Spurs so much deeper than the Mavs have been able to handle.

The only reasons I think this is not being discussed is a)most analysts aren't too bright or b) this really isn't surprising anyone. Tony has always been known as a positive impact on team chemistry. It seems like the only people in the world that accuse Parker of being a me-first guard are his own fans. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

b) For all the talk about the 2003, 2006, 2009 and to a lesser extent 2001 series, I'm shocked that there isn't reference to this as a series between the two most recent 6th-Man of the Year winners. Usually pre-game talk is stuffed with, "last year was Terry, the year before Manu. They're both really starters but come off the bench as instant offense and let the game flow blah blah blah, ..AND NOW this year it's Parker who if in this role for a fulll season would be an easy candidate for the award. While none of these veterans will win the award this year I predict the winner of the series will be the team with the strongest 6th man...blah blah

anyway, maybe it's good nobody is talking about that. All the TV stuff is usually fluff.

but I'd really like to bring up that

c) There's a lot to be said about a team that played through some really "blue" times. We as fans have been pulling our hair and barking at the moon in reaction to the befuddling play/coaching this year. We had humongous expectations coming into the season. The first game was a major blue-baller. And the year has been so up and down. The downs were the most down we've seen in a long long time. How do you think the players felt?

-Haislip said, "Damn, I really signed too early, so much happened after that I'm totally out of the rotation....I"m heading to Europe"

-Finley said, "This year is whack, and I'm not getting any burn. Who knows what will be come April. I need to go somewhere else. ... Anywhere that has somewhat of a chance."

For better of worse, those are the guys that got out. The rest of the team stuck out through months of frustration and got a nice finish to the season. That kind of reward obviously boosted the level of play through the end and now that things are falling into place with the full roster I imagine the locker room vibes are stellar. Literally. Don't you just see a room full of determined, confident faces looking at Pop's XO board...but holding back smiles?

There's so much awesome energy in these games. Maybe it's me but I swear I'm seeing so many more fist pumps and primal screams coming from our players after plays on both ends of the court. We just spent a couple months getting familiar with rabid Ginobili but you did notice the arrival of possessed Hill, Parker, Jefferson, Dyess, Blair, EVERYBODY seems to be charged like I've never seen the Spurs. When I see these guys it feels like I'm witnessing gusts of satisfaction from realizing that they've just cracked the proverbial rock. Man, I know not bust a nut before Win #4, let alone Win #16 but I'm as pumped as the players. This is so damn exciting to experience.

I hope Pop lets them continue to channel this intensity in the right directions. It seems like from here on we're going to get tighter focus, maybe even more from the playbook and a legitimate chance at closing out the Mavs, and moving through at least another round.

rogcl1
04-27-2010, 10:07 AM
No , if its working do not mess with it now.Manu sets the tone for ball movement and passing and I believe Tony has actually picked up on it as it appears to me he is attempting to share the ball more since his return.
I believe Tony should have a blinking light and buzzer on him that goes off after so many seconds of dribbling. Why change things when they finally start to work. Shorten Manu's minutes if need be but let him start with Hill to set the tone. These guys are pros and want to win and will do what is asked of them.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Is it time to send Manu back to the bench and start Tony?

Hell no. This team has more cohesiveness now than it has had all season. Why would you want to mess with that? Wake up.

Mel_13
04-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Assuming we beat the Mavs tonight:

Is it time to send Manu back to the bench and start Tony?

Pop will ride the hot hand. If we beat the Mavs and then lose the first two games on the road in the next round, then Manu goes back to the bench.

DBMethos
04-27-2010, 11:28 AM
draft87, I just want to say that your post brought a smile to my face. Bravo. :toast

Brazil
04-27-2010, 12:12 PM
nice post draft87

Zammers
04-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Why does everyone always want to trade Parker? He's got the intangibles. He's got what you need this time of year........experience. He's young, quick, and plays defense.

If it ain't broke don't fix.

:flag:

greyforest
04-27-2010, 01:09 PM
article doesnt mention splitter, fails

anakha
04-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Mad props to RC Buford for drafting Hill. I was pissed when we passed on Chalmers and CDR.

Can yall imagine if Portland had not bloaded us with Batum? We more than likely could have got Hill in the 2nd round because he was so off everyone's radar. We'd have Batum AND Hill.

Sickening.

Weren't reports after the draft saying that Boston or LA would have gotten Hill had he slipped past the Spurs?

Juanobili
04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
great post, draft

I miss gathering around the tv with all of my family and jumping in the air, shouting in excitement as the Spurs play in the playoffs

its been too long and I forgot how much I loved that

GO SPURS GO

Darkwaters
04-27-2010, 02:44 PM

Sickening.

I seem to remember that the Celtics were going to draft Hill at 30 if he had slipped a little further. Had we let him go by he would not have made it to the 2nd round.

Doe
04-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I like the way each of these players have basically put their stamp on each of the 3 wins. From Manu in game 2 to Tony's clutch jumpers in game 3 to George in the last one.

Pero
04-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Hill, a second-year player who made the Spurs front office look smart by effectively spelling star point guard Tony Parker throughout 2008-09, scored a game-high 29 points, and it looked nothing like a fluke.

Could someone tell me what this means? Substituting Parker?

beirmeistr
04-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Hell no. This team has more cohesiveness now than it has had all season. Why would you want to mess with that? Wake up.

Amen.

Spurminator
04-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Sickening.

I don't know. Even if he did fall to us in the 2nd round, he would have had a LOT less leeway on his Summer League performance and early 2008 struggles. He almost certainly never would have been given the starting PG role he had while Parker was out in 2008, which was so crucial to his development.

I think the arc of his career would be much much different if he had been a 2nd Round pick.

scottspurs
04-27-2010, 04:45 PM
I love the future of the Spurs. There was a time when I believed the championship window was closing and closing fast, but if the spurs keep getting steals in the draft like Hill and Blair the window might be opened for several more years. The spurs should get a very solid player at least with the 20th pick this year. Add that and Tiago splitter and the spurs can actually improve next season.

Pauleta14
04-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I seem to remember that the Celtics were going to draft Hill at 30 if he had slipped a little further. Had we let him go by he would not have made it to the 2nd round.

That's what they said ...

spursrocks
04-27-2010, 06:12 PM
continue to start manu, tony to lead the 2nd unit. its quite effective. tony and blair to spark the 2nd unit is a thumbs up