PDA

View Full Version : Rofl Dwight no show Howard

oh crap
04-26-2010, 02:50 PM
This overrated piece of shit has to be the biggest under performing "superstar" so far in these playoffs with a series average of 11/8. Pretty much a non-factor. Good thing Nelson and others are stepping up because this loser isn't doing a goddamn thing. lol @ those who rank this joke as a top 3 player in the league over Durant and others. lol @ those who think Orlando can win while he is playing like this.

lefty
04-26-2010, 02:54 PM
lol DPOY my ass

JamStone
04-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Personally, I don't think his play is a big deal since the Magic are still up 3-0 despite his less than dominant performance. He's still shooting over 50% and averaging 6 blocks a game in 28 minutes a game. If he weren't getting in so much foul trouble and was playing his normal 40 minutes, he'd be closer to putting up about 16 PPG and 12 RPG. With the way Nelson has been scoring, it hasn't been a big issue so far. Now, his performances have still been disappointing, but it would be a much bigger deal if he was playing like this and the Magic were losing these games. Take the foul trouble and the fact that Nelson has been scoring like crazy, I don't think it's a big deal at all.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-26-2010, 04:29 PM
It does take a little bit of luster off him, particularly given the late season whining of some that he should be in the MVP race. However Charlotte is built differently than just about any other playoff team. They pretty much have to attack the rim every single possession and they've got the personnel to do it. The Hawks might have that kind of roster as well. Either way I think that the Cats are probably the team that posed the greatest problem as far as forcing foul trouble on him and expect to see a bounce back in the second round.

Pero
04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
lol DPOY my ass

He's still averaging 6 blocks per game like Jamstone said. I only watched the last quarter or so of game three, but when he was in it was anything but easy for Charlotte to score near the basket.

in2deep
04-26-2010, 04:38 PM
"it's just round 1"

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
He's been pretty good. Howard isn't a guard. He impacts games in a different way. He doesn't even need to touch the ball to contribute mightly. To emulate the OP:

lol @ not watching the games

lol @ prototypical WC fan overrating scoring

lol @ thinking that if a player isn't scoring he isn't impacting the game

lol @ primitive understandings of the game of basketball

lefty
04-26-2010, 05:38 PM
He's still averaging 6 blocks per game like Jamstone said. I only watched the last quarter or so of game three, but when he was in it was anything but easy for Charlotte to score near the basket.
He has those stats thanks to his athleticism

Have you seen Bowen and Artest leading the steals or blocks category? no

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Do the people that say Dwight racks up blocks not understand his impact on the defense?..seriously?..

Howard has more myths to battle than any other player in the NBA, not even close..

He isn't having a great series, but he has still had a significant impact defensively..about half of his calls have been poor calls on Tyson Chandler(and Thomas) flops down low, it sucks..

It's scary that Orlando is up 3-0 without Howard and Carter playing consistently on offense..

Pero
04-26-2010, 06:39 PM
He has those stats thanks to his athleticism

Have you seen Bowen and Artest leading the steals or blocks category? no

So? Are Bowen and Artest (7ft tall) athletic freaks? Are you saying his athletic ability is an unfair advantage or something?

His presence during game three for a few straight possesions made it look like there was a fortress around Orlando's basket.

If Howard had a better offensive game he'd be incredible.

lefty
04-26-2010, 06:49 PM
So? Are Bowen and Artest (7ft tall) athletic freaks? Are you saying his athletic ability is an unfair advantage or something?

His presence during game three for a few straight possesions made it look like there was a fortress around Orlando's basket.

If Howard had a better offensive game he'd be incredible.
My point is that his defensive technique is avaerage at best

Like when T-Mac was averaging 2 bpg when he was younger and healthier, thanks to his athleticism, but everybody knows he is a shitty defender

LnGrrrR
04-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm a Dwight Howard hater. The difference between him and other great defenders, is it seems they work harder than the other man, they use good footwork and defensive skills to outplay their man. D-Ho is an awesome defensive presence, but it's 90% athleticism and instincts, 10% Bball IQ.

I might even forgive that, if it weren't for his execrable offense.

I'm just not a fan of his game.

DJ Mbenga
04-26-2010, 08:15 PM
its only april

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Howard's defensive technique and awareness is terrific. If not, he'd be Stromile Swift.

LnGrrrR
04-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Howard's defensive technique and awareness is terrific. If not, he'd be Stromile Swift.

Certainly evidenced by those 3 fouls he picked up today. :lol

Cane
04-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Dwight Howard is the worst "best big man in the league"....ever.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2010, 08:49 PM
It's sad that so many people dislike a guy's game because he's athletic LOL..do you guys hate quick PGs too?..

As mogro said, what about Stromile Swift? What about Amare Stoudemire? What about the dozens of elite big men athletes that never turned out to be good defenders?(Let alone the best defender in the entire league)..

Kai
04-26-2010, 08:51 PM

What does that say about the league today? :sleep

LnGrrrR
04-26-2010, 09:26 PM
It's sad that so many people dislike a guy's game because he's athletic LOL..do you guys hate quick PGs too?..

As mogro said, what about Stromile Swift? What about Amare Stoudemire? What about the dozens of elite big men athletes that never turned out to be good defenders?(Let alone the best defender in the entire league)..

I don't know what it says. I just know I don't like his game. :lol

I'm not saying it's rational.

Edit: I don't much like watching Stromile or Amar'e, for what it's worth. Amar'e has a post game at least. :)

itzsoweezee
04-26-2010, 09:31 PM

i don't think anyone thinks he's the best big man in the league. at least i hope not.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Most people think Howard is the best big man in the NBA, fans and media, myself included..there isn't really an argument since Timmy is past his prime and Dirk doesn't affect the game in multiple ways..

ulosturedge
04-26-2010, 09:42 PM
I got a question has Howard ever taken a jump shot? I can't remember the last time I saw that dude take a jump shot lol. As ugly as his free throw shot is I doubt we'd ever see him take a jumpshot. Dude will always be a non-issue on the offensive end as long as you wrap him up. He makes free throw attempts look like he's trying hit a halfcourt shot. Fuckin' shotput. Shaq 2.0

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
He occasionally makes bank shots, but he definitely doesn't have a jump shot..

The_Dude
04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
I got a question has Howard ever taken a jump shot? I can't remember the last time I saw that dude take a jump shot lol. As ugly as his free throw shot is I doubt we'd ever see him take a jumpshot. Dude will always be a non-issue on the offensive end as long as you wrap him up. He makes free throw attempts look like he's trying hit a halfcourt shot. Fuckin' shotput. Shaq 2.0

I can't find it on YouTube, but Dwight took a jumpshot in the regular season and shot it over the backboard. :lmao

LnGrrrR
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
He makes free throw attempts look like he's trying hit a halfcourt shot. Fuckin' shotput. Shaq 2.0

That may be true about the free throws, but Shaq had decent post moves.

dirk4mvp
04-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Most people think Howard is the best big man in the NBA, fans and media, myself included..there isn't really an argument since Timmy is past his prime and Dirk doesn't affect the game in multiple ways..

A hobbled Duncan and Dirk are better basketball players than Howard. So is Amare. A case can be made for Pau Gasol.

At least half of Howard's blocks are goaltends and he doesn't have a go to offensive move to save his life..

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Do you have an argument that supports those statements?..

dirk4mvp
04-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah. Watching basketball. Which is obviously something you don't do, considering you think Vince Carter is some HOF player.

Mavs_man_41
04-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Dwight still has no sort of post game..he's a shorter, not quite as good at defense version of dikembe mutumbo at this point. Let's refrain from putting him up there with the best players in the league for now, thanks. Let him develop a post move or two first.

Cane
04-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Do you have an argument that supports those statements?..

Here are some, asked for this article "Why Dwight Howard is Overrated" a few weeks ago:

Over the entire stretch of data that Huizinga and Weil examined, Tim Duncan didn't goal-tend once, while 24 percent of Dwight Howard's blocks resulted in free points for the other team.

---

The data yields all kinds of instructive contrasts, most clearly between Duncan and Howard (hence the name of Huizinga and Weil's paper). In 2008, Howard had 232 blocked shots, but he either saved or created just 124 points; Duncan had 149 blocks, but generated 167 points. On a points-per-block basis, Duncan has four of the top 10 seasons, according to Huizinga and Weil. Howard has three of the bottom 10.
---
The paper also found that, with many different new factors taken into account, Tim Duncan's blocks are the most valuable in the NBA. The least valuable, they say, are Dwight Howard's.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148479

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4978827&name=keating_peter&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index%3fentryID%3d4978827%26name%3dkeating_peter

Howard admits to blocking for highlight reels which ignores the basic fundamentals behind it. He loves to swat it to the stands to get the crowd into it even though it'd be better blocked to his team, etc.

Greg Oden
04-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Also there maybe 10 big men (myself excluded) who just about anyone would rather give the ball to to score a bucket over Dwight "my offensive moves besides dunking is a dogshit turnaround hookshot" Howard.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Here are some, asked for this article "Why Dwight Howard is Overrated" a few weeks ago:

Howard admits to blocking for highlight reels which ignores the basic fundamentals behind it. He loves to swat it to the stands to get the crowd into it even though it'd be better blocked to his team, etc.

So your argument is that he's the best defensive player in the NBA, but he could be even better if he ignored the aesthetics..I agree..pretty amazing that a 24-year old that still has a lot to learn can have the largest defensive impact in the NBA..

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Again, the only arguments I've ever seen here are the usual..these same people ignore the advanced/regular defensive stats, Orlando's defensive stats as a team, the fact that Howard has less assisted points than all the other "elite" big men in the NBA, the fact that he's averaged 20 points on amazing efficiency "without a post game", the fact that he led a team to the NBA Finals and is on pace to do it again..

LnGrrrR
04-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Given the dearth of bigs in this era, I'm not too surprised.

How would you say he stacks up against bigs from other eras?

Greg Oden
04-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Given the dearth of bigs in this era, I'm not too surprised.

How would you say he stacks up against bigs from other eras?

Russell would shit on him

Wilt would shit on him

Kareem would shit on him

McHale would shit on him

Parish would shit on him

Malone would shit on him

Barkely would shit on him

Shaq would shit on him

Hakeem would shit on him

Obviously I'm forgetting some names here.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 10:59 PM

That wasn't the point of that statistical study at all. Have you actually read it?

Cane
04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
So your argument is that he's the best defensive player in the NBA, but he could be even better if he ignored the aesthetics..I agree..pretty amazing that a 24-year old that still has a lot to learn can have the largest defensive impact in the NBA..

Yup, once he actually gets a real offensive game and some mental toughness he'll be even better and the only guys that could challenge him are injured like Yao and Oden.

He melts down at the free throw line, fouls, technicals, etc and has had a pretty bad playoffs so far. He's gotta throw his mental baggage away or Orlando's fucked.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
From the previous era, I would put him clearly behind Duncan, O'Neal and Garnett..

From the 90's, I would put him clearly behind Karl Malone, Robinson, Olajuwon and Ewing..

You could argue with Howard vs. Nowitzki and Barkley for the all-around impact, and you can argue Howard vs. Mourning IMO..

It's not that I think he's THAT great of a player..obviously his dominance is more apparent in this current era where bigs are lacking..he's still seriously disrespected though IMO..

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Again, the only arguments I've ever seen here are the usual..these same people ignore the advanced/regular defensive stats, Orlando's defensive stats as a team, the fact that Howard has less assisted points than all the other "elite" big men in the NBA, the fact that he's averaged 20 points on amazing efficiency "without a post game", the fact that he led a team to the NBA Finals and is on pace to do it again..

Yeps.

It seems Rashard Lewis and Pietrus are MVP/All-NBA type of players but unfortunately they aren't acknowledge as so. Otherwise, the Magic's success is just a fiction.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm just waiting for somebody to say Turkoglu led them to the Finals(I've heard it before, even from NBA "experts", sadly)..the amazing Turkoglu that has his Raptors in the playoffs..

Cane
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM

Howard is great at finishing around the rim but those stats are inflated since he can abuse the shitty teams in the regular season especially through put back slams, etc.

Come playoff time he gets frustrated often and has to face against better competition. As seen last year against the injured Boston team and healthy Lakers; his points drop substantially since good teams can eliminate a lot of those easy opportunities which is how he makes a living.

He has a great % but he doesn't have the go-to moves or offensive game that his team can depend on. Thats one major reason why SVG doesn't feed him the ball to the point where Howard's complained about it.

LnGrrrR
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing that DHo is a beast on defense.

I would enjoy watching him much more if he had a good post move, and if he didn't foul in such stupid ways.

With the body he has, and the quickness, he COULD be one of the best of all time. But he isn't... I don't know why he won't/can't learn. It's such wasted potential.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Howard's offensively impact is underrated.

The Magic half-court offence is Spot-Up shots (which is about 1/4 of their total offence), pick'n'roll with the ball-handler getting the shot (about 1/6) and post-ups (another 15% of their possessions).

They're the best team in the league in spot-up situations, scoring 1.06 points per possession. Why? Because of their in-out game with Howard.

They're one of the best teams in the league in the pick'n'roll. Why? Among other things, Howard sets great screens. Howard himself as the roll-man is among the top-10 of the league.

In post up situations, Howard scores 0.97 points per possession. That's enough to rank him in the top 35% of the players in the league, which considering the attention he gets and how often he gets his shot against doubles, it's pretty amazing (the only positions factored are those where he shoots, turns the ball over or gets to the line - we're excluding those where he gets the assists - with those, he's the best post-up weapon in the NBA).

--------------
On the top of all that, you have the best rebounder and defender in the NBA = best bigman in the league.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Yeah. Save the money till September though.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2010, 11:51 PM
I'll probably get it anyways to check it out since it doesn't cost too much, but ya, I was kind of discouraged that you can only keep the archives until then..how is next year going to be like though? are they going to be available for longer or what?..

I saw the screen shots/preview for it, looks really interesting..

mogrovejo
04-27-2010, 12:07 AM
I was told they'd have a larger database + more detailed tagging + almost instant data logging.

HeyIt'sMe
04-27-2010, 12:45 AM
Why are Mavs and Blazers fans talking shit about Howard? They wouldn't know a good center if they saw one.

Particularly Mavs fans. Dwight completely owned Brendan "the savior" Haywood this season and they still talk shit about him.

MI21
04-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Those people saying he doesn't have any post moves are a little bit wrong.

He has a lefty hook over his right shoulder that is unguardable if he makes it. He has a rolling right hand hook as well. I've seen him pull out other moves every now and again but the matter of the fact is that they don't really post him that much, not as much as your typical franchise big guy. Just because his moves don't look pretty doesn't mean it doesn't work.

LnGrrrR
04-27-2010, 02:53 AM
Again, regarding his numbers...

I don't know what it says. I just know I don't like his game. :lol

I'm not saying it's rational.

:lol

John Terry
04-27-2010, 03:31 AM
I don't think anyone is arguing that DHo is a beast on defense.

I would enjoy watching him much more if he had a good post move, and if he didn't foul in such stupid ways.

With the body he has, and the quickness, he COULD be one of the best of all time. But he isn't... I don't know why he won't/can't learn. It's such wasted potential.
If his brain was half the size of his bicep then definitely he would be one of the best defenders of all time, along with the memorial names like Bill Russell, etc., but clearly DH doesn't have such a skull that is big enough to allow the room needed for a good brain. it's fair to say his low BBIQ tampers with his career to a severe degree.