PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle, you ----face

badfish22
04-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Heres what I would do if I was that fuck, to at least give the Mavs a chance at a comeback.

1. Haywood starts. I don't give a fuck about all this bullshit "ohhh Damp is a better Duncan defender". People are under this false impression from last years playoffs. They fail to remember, however, that Duncan was banged up. I have seen Haywood do a great job against Duncan at times during this series. Also Duncan has to actually do something on D when Haywood is out there. Damp gives us nothing. No that is not an exaggeration, Damp has literally given us nothing in terms of offense. He has no fucking field goals the entire series. Another plus of starting Haywood is that he gets more PT with Kidd, which is a lot better than attempting to ball with Shorty Gonzales. Also, giving Haywood the start will pump him up. A energized Haywood does wonders for this team.

2. More Roddy B. No more JJB at SG. Roddy should get 15 minutes on Tuesday. Why the hell not? What do you have to lose? Get him out there. The Mavs lack easy buckets and Roddy is a one man fast break. If Roddy starts playing well and Jet and/or Caron isn't, give him some of their minutes. Roddy could be our answer to George Hill.

3. More Marion. Even though he was playing great offense in game 4, he was still benched in the 4th. Inexcusable. We need our defenders out there. The offense in the 4th should be run primarily through Dirk anyway, bringing me to my next point.

4. Keep giving the motherfucking ball to Dirk. I think he only had like 5 shots midway through the third quarter. Dirk is always talking about how he hates long rests, so I assume long periods of getting ignored on offense isn't fun for him either. He loves getting himself into a rhythm, which is way he starts shooting shots on game day before most players. We shouldn't post Marion up and iso him 6-7 times a day. Thats just taking touches away from Dirk.

Hopefully he pulls his head out and does some of these things.

DPG21920
04-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Don't cuss in the titles.

Ghazi
04-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Carlisle getting too much hate :td

Ghazi
04-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Memo to Kidd: quit being passive with the 3-PT shot :td

badfish22
04-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Carlisle getting too much hate :td
ok.
Why do you think we are down 3-1?

badfish22
04-26-2010, 08:32 PM

memo to Kidd: you are allowed to take shots that are not 3's or foot on the line 2's.

Fpoonsie
04-26-2010, 08:37 PM
In a balls-to-the-wall game like tomorrow night's is bound to be, Carlisle would be inSANE to not give Beaubois some burn...it's the perfect environment for him to thrive in.

I can only hope that he'd make the same rookie mistakes that have gotten him glued to the bench in the first place. The last thing the Spurs wanna do is give the Mavs some life.

AAC is gonna be riDICulous tomorrow. Not at all looking forward to it.

DPG21920
04-26-2010, 08:38 PM
The game plan on Kidd is what turned the series in the Spurs favor and there is nothing he can do. Forcing Kidd to put the ball on the floor and step inside the 3 point line where everyone has a man on them has stifled the Mavs offense.

Ghazi
04-26-2010, 08:40 PM
combination of bad luck, carlisle, spurs having 3 of the 4 best players, and hill outplaying kidd over the last 3 games in my humble points of view.

ElNono
04-26-2010, 08:40 PM

It's not about being passive... it's about being open...

DPG21920
04-26-2010, 08:58 PM
I said this before. The teams are close. But if the games are close, the Spurs have more closers. Manu, TP and TD are better than what the Mavs have in a close game when you need a play maker.

sook
04-26-2010, 09:02 PM
i am going to get much hate from the dallas fans for saying this...

but..

even though kidd has played fine, it was his arrival that led to the downfall. I think Jet should start at point. It makes the starting 5 unguardable.

Findog
04-26-2010, 09:03 PM
The game plan on Kidd is what turned the series in the Spurs favor and there is nothing he can do. Forcing Kidd to put the ball on the floor and step inside the 3 point line where everyone has a man on them has stifled the Mavs offense.

The Mavs failure to counter this simple adjustment is the story of the series.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 09:07 PM
I think Carlisle is lost. His team may bail him out though.

I agree with point 1. When they're available on Synergy I'm going to look at every fucking Duncan post up in this series just to see if I can detect any signal Dampier defends him better down low. I just don't see it. ANywya, Haywood is so much better as a pick'n'roll defender, help defender and offensive player that there's simply not a good enough reason why he's playing so little.

Point 2 too, but I suspect it's useless to bitch about it + I can understand Carlisle's perspective.

Point 3 I agree. I think that Marion should be on the floor whenever Nowitzki isn't + should be 1 of 4 elements rotating in the backcourt (him, Butler, Kidd and Terry).

I disagree with point 4. They're isolating Dirk too many times. They need more diversity in their half-court offence.

Kidd had plenty of open looks, his man was doubling Dirk almost at the baseline and recovering to him. He was just too hesitant to take shots. Plenty of time to take the shot.

DAF86
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
ok.

Mmh, what about the Spurs beign better?

jestersmash
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
ok.

Because Parker made a few clutch jumpers down the stretch in game 3, Ginobili made a clutch 3 ponter (along with Kidd airballing a 3 pointer) in the waning moments of game 4, to collectively eek out wins for the Spurs.

The series could very easily have been 3-1 in the Mavs favor. It's been one of the most even series we've seen thus far.

It actually still blows my mind that Dirk was deferring so much (relatively) for Game 4. There were a good 3-5 shots that he could've taken, but he opted to pass instead. And, it was definitely the most beautiful thing I could've seen as a Spurs fan. Nowitzki strikes terror into spurs fans hearts. I feel like anything he throws up is going in.

jestersmash
04-26-2010, 09:14 PM

No offense to us (Spurs fans) - just being a realist here, but we're not significantly better than the Dallas Mavericks. And, even moreso, we're a far cry from being able to compete with the likes of Orlando or the Cavs...if it even comes to that, which I still have my doubts.

Our impeccable pick and roll spacing of 1-2 months past has almost vanished, especially with Ginobili-Duncan. I have no idea what's going on with Ginobili right now. It's as though he's not as loose/carefree when it comes to passing the ball to the roller because he's afraid of a turnover or something.

Part of the credit goes to the Dallas defense...sometimes, but a lot of it has to do with hesitation on Ginobili's part.

And, let's be real, when Ginobili fails to produce, the Spurs are in poor shape.

Fortunately for us, plenty of teams out West have their own internal flaws to deal with.

badfish22
04-26-2010, 09:14 PM

Teams are about even imho. Mavs have the best player, but Spurs have more scorers. Spurs being better doesn't have much to do with Butler and Marion being benched. Spurs being better doesn't have to do much with any of my OP.

mavsfan1000
04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Teams are about even imho. Mavs have the best player, but Spurs have more scorers. Spurs being better doesn't have much to do with Butler and Marion being benched.
True but it was such a stupid decision by Carlisle. Especially benching Marion.

monosylab1k
04-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Remember when I argued Shawn Marion needs to be on the floor in crunch time?

Just another example of how in touch with the team I am.

monosylab1k
04-26-2010, 09:22 PM
To have a shot at winning this in 7, the Mavs need to do the following:

1. Much more Haywood, much less Dampier.
2. 20-30 minutes of Beaubois, 20 minutes or less of Terry.
3. More Marion and Butler on the court at the same time. There's a myth out there that they don't play well together since both are SF's. Not true. The Mavs have played their best basketball of the series when they're on the floor together.
4. Mix up the half-court offense instead of always doing the same 2 Man Game, Dirk in the High Post crap that everybody has seen so much of they know exactly how to defend it.

And even that probably won't be enough.

DAF86
04-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Teams are about even imho. Mavs have the best player, but Spurs have more scorers. Spurs being better doesn't have much to do with Butler and Marion being benched. Spurs being better doesn't have to do much with any of my OP.

But it has to do with the comment I quoted from you.

The difference isn't much but it's obvious imho, the Spurs play better defense and have more options on offense. Look at the rotation Popovich is using at the moment: TP, Hill, Manu, RJ, Dice, Tim, Blair and Bonner. With the exception of Matt they are all very well rounded players that contribute at both ends of the floor and produce no liabities to the team, you can't say the same from pretty much anybody on the Mavericks roster. Add to that that the Spurs are playing with great confidence at the moment and there's your 3-1 series.

I do think that Carlisle has commited some mistakes (like starting Dampier over Haywood or not playing Roddy) but I don't think they would have made a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

The thing that could still change the outcome of this series IMO, is the confidence factor.

phxspurfan
04-26-2010, 09:50 PM
To have a shot at winning this in 7, the Mavs need to do the following:

1. Much more Haywood, much less Dampier.
2. 20-30 minutes of Beaubois, 20 minutes or less of Terry.
3. More Marion and Butler on the court at the same time. There's a myth out there that they don't play well together since both are SF's. Not true. The Mavs have played their best basketball of the series when they're on the floor together.
4. Mix up the half-court offense instead of always doing the same 2 Man Game, Dirk in the High Post crap that everybody has seen so much of they know exactly how to defend it.

And even that probably won't be enough.

20 minutes or less of Terry and you have a Spurs blowout. He's your only Spur killer left

monosylab1k
04-26-2010, 09:53 PM
20 minutes or less of Terry and you have a Spurs blowout. He's your only Spur killer left

Everything positive he does on offense he gives right back on defense. At this point you can't count on him for anything. He made a big 3 the other night, but he also missed every shot in the first half and was terrible until the game was basically over.

ulosturedge
04-26-2010, 10:03 PM
The teams are very even. Excluding the first game every other game could have gone either way. The Spurs have just been fortunate to make timely shots. Credit that to our vets having championship experience. Any of the big 3 are apt to making big shots when it matters. Where as Dallas only has Dirk for that and on occasion Terry shows glimpses. I do Agree Rick is being out coached by Pop. The last game he looked defeated like he had no answers for what was going on...

exstatic
04-26-2010, 10:05 PM
memo to Kidd: you are allowed to take shots that are not 3's or foot on the line 2's.

He's shooting lights out from 3, but only if you follow the old book and leave him open. His form is deliberate and slow. He also won't shoot if he's contested. Combine that with the Spurs guards ballhawking him 3/4 court every possession, and Carlisle playing him 40+ minutes every game, and you have a recipe for very few three pointers from Jason.

badfish22
04-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I do think that Carlisle has commited some mistakes (like starting Dampier over Haywood or not playing Roddy) but I don't think they would have made a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

Considering how close some of the games have been, I disagree. It damn well could have.

The teams are very even. Excluding the first game every other game could have gone either way. The Spurs have just been fortunate to make timely shots. Credit that to our vets having championship experience. Any of the big 3 are apt to making big shots when it matters. Where as Dallas only has Dirk for that and on occasion Terry shows glimpses. I do Agree Rick is being out coached by Pop. The last game he looked defeated like he had no answers for what was going on...

agreed

Findog
04-26-2010, 10:10 PM
I'd like to see Haywood/Dirk/Marion/Butler/Kidd more. Why did Carlisle bench Marion after he played really well in helping us establish a 15-pt lead in the first half?

badfish22
04-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Why did Carlisle

who the hell knows.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 10:21 PM
But it has to do with the comment I quoted from you.

The difference isn't much but it's obvious imho, the Spurs play better defense and have more options on offense. Look at the rotation Popovich is using at the moment: TP, Hill, Manu, RJ, Dice, Tim, Blair and Bonner. With the exception of Matt they are all very well rounded players that contribute at both ends of the floor and produce no liabities to the team, you can't say the same from pretty much anybody on the Mavericks roster. Add to that that the Spurs are playing with great confidence at the moment and there's your 3-1 series.

If all that was true, the games wouldn't come down to a couple of shots made/missed in the final moments of the game, they would have been blowouts.

MavDynasty
04-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Mavs need to fucking show motherucking up in the first quarter. It pisses me off seeing this team start 3-18 or 2-10 and shit like that. Wake the fuck up. Kidd needs to shoot the 3 when given the chance instead of do that pumpfake shit leading to a contested jumper from Terry or a shot clock violation. Butler needs to fucking drive the damn ball and get to the line instead of settling for that contested 18 footer after 3 pumpfakes.

/rant

phxspurfan
04-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Everything positive he does on offense he gives right back on defense. At this point you can't count on him for anything. He made a big 3 the other night, but he also missed every shot in the first half and was terrible until the game was basically over.

Yeah but he's also the heart of your team. Mavs were up by about 15 and had some swagger when Terry went down with that ankle. Then Mavs lost their edge and spent the rest of the game trying to get it back.

DAF86
04-26-2010, 10:35 PM
If all that was true, the games wouldn't come down to a couple of shots made/missed in the final moments of the game, they would have been blowouts.

Today I read an article that said something to the effect that "the Mavs Spurs games have been a lot less even than what the scores indicate" and I kind of agree, I don't know what is (maybe the fact that, with the exception of game 1 and the second Q of game 4, the Spurs have been in the lead for the majority of the time) but I've been watching this series with a great sense of confidence that I didn't have in prior years, even while beign down 15 in the last game I still had the bealive that the Spurs would came up with the win. San Antonio right now is playing with the confidence of the team that knows is better and that's have been the difference, that's why they always came up with the right plays at the right moments. If they can mantain this confidence, they have the talent to go very far.

DPG21920
04-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Spurs have Manu. That is huge at the end of games.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Today I read an article that said something to the effect that "the Mavs Spurs games have been a lot less even than what the scores indicate" and I kind of agree, I don't know what is (maybe the fact that, with the exception of game 1 and the second Q of game 4, the Spurs have been in the lead for the majority of the time) but I've been watching this series with a great sense of confidence that I didn't have in prior years, even while beign down 15 in the last game I still had the bealive that the Spurs would came up with the win. San Antonio right now is playing with the confidence of the team that knows is better and that's have been the difference, that's why they always came up with the right plays at the right moments. If they can mantain this confidence, they have the talent to go very far.

You sound exactly like Mavs fans used to sound when their team was collecting close wins and they were putting out the bravado about the "confidence" and the "ability to make the right plays when they need them" and were all mad with Hollinger because he was saying close wins are no big deal.

Most teams who win close games look like they're in control. They aren't.

picc84
04-26-2010, 10:59 PM
If Dirk could play center it would help the mavs out a lot.

mavsfan1000
04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Why did Carlisle...
Basically this could be said 100 times over with Carlisle. The hardcore fans are like :wtf

badfish22
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM

If Carlisle had his rotations in order, maybe the Spurs don't look so "in control" anymore.

DesignatedT
04-26-2010, 11:19 PM
its all about the spurs gaurd play this series. being able to penetrate at will and finish regularly. Tony,Manu,Hill are all doing this. If the mavs really want a chance at this thing they need to full out clog the paint and make the spurs make there outside jumpers. If they let Tony and Manu continue to make tons of layups they wont win. especially down the stretch... when the mavs turn into a jump shooting team while the spurs attack the rim every possession.

DAF86
04-26-2010, 11:20 PM
You sound exactly like Mavs fans used to sound when their team was collecting close wins and they were putting out the bravado about the "confidence" and the "ability to make the right plays when they need them" and were all mad with Hollinger because he was saying close wins are no big deal.

Most teams who win close games look like they're in control. They aren't.

Well these are the playoffs, the norm is to have close games. Besides is not like the Spurs had to resort to fluke shots or buzzer beaters to get their wins, they're using great defense and good intelligent team play on offense to create 4/5 pts cushions in the last moments of games that they are able to mantain to get the W. All the champions team I've seen pull a lot more wins of this style than blowouts in the playoffs.

And I don't care how I sound like, I'm giving an opinion of how I see things at this moment. If you re-read my post you can also see that I posted a possibility where this series may still go the other way.

DAF86
04-26-2010, 11:22 PM
If Carlisle had his rotations in order, maybe the Spurs don't look so "in control" anymore.

It could be, but I really don't think that Roddy B. and more minutes for Haywood would have made such big of a difference.

dallaskd
04-26-2010, 11:24 PM
It could be, but I really don't think that Roddy B. and more minutes for Haywood would have made such big of a difference.

Roddy B is more important to this mavs team than george hill is to the spurs.. and you saw hill in game 4.

mogrovejo
04-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Well these are the playoffs, the norm is to have close games. Besides is not like the Spurs had to resort to fluke shots or buzzer beaters to get their wins, they're using great defense and good intelligent team play on offense to create 4/5 pts cushions in the last moments of games that they are able to mantain to get the W.

Yeah, but again, that's the way the large majority of the close wins happen.

And I don't care how I sound like, I'm giving an opinion of how I see things at this moment.

Sure, I was just making a comment about your opinion.

Ignignokt
04-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Roddy B is more important to this mavs team than george hill is to the spurs.. and you saw hill in game 4.

Crofl!!! Roddy B can't play defense and is lost. Put him in and the spurs will be back by 8 and he wont last.

Findog
04-26-2010, 11:30 PM
its all about the spurs gaurd play this series. being able to penetrate at will and finish regularly. Tony,Manu,Hill are all doing this. If the mavs really want a chance at this thing they need to full out clog the paint and make the spurs make there outside jumpers. If they let Tony and Manu continue to make tons of layups they wont win. especially down the stretch... when the mavs turn into a jump shooting team while the spurs attack the rim every possession.

Pretty much this. The Spurs guards are getting the shots that they want, while the Mavs guards are not matching that production. Kidd became an offensive threat this season with a reliable 3-pt shot when teams sagged off of him to double Dirk. San Antonio runs him off the 3-pt line and forces him to put the ball on the floor where he refuses to shoot. Dallas hasn't been able to counter this.

Other than the fact that it was JJ Barea checking him, I had no problem with those three long jumpers Parker hit to seal the win in Game 3. I'll take my chances with him taking those shots than getting into the paint where he'll probably score and there's the chance of drawing the And One.

Greg Oden
04-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Crofl!!! Roddy B can't play defense and is lost. Put him in and the spurs will be back by 8 and he wont last.

Is that what they told you in Victoria, Texas?

Findog
04-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Big Men are still focal points, (there's a reason the Magic are a title contender despite their best player having a very limited offensive game) but the league is steadily becoming more guard-oriented. And for the past several years the Mavs guard play has simply not measured up.

Kidd can't shoot if you take away his set-shot three. Terry is an undersized combo guard who doesn't have the handles to play the 1, or the size to defend 2's. Barea is a scrub forced into a rotation role. Before that Devin Harris was a one-trick pony that couldn't run an offense. Marquis Daniels showed promise his rookie year, but he turned into a journeyman role player. Stackhouse was pretty good until age caught up with him.

I think Dallas gets enough points in the paint, but their main problem as they are constituted right now is the lack of a reliable #2 scoring option, lack of perimeter defense, and a lack of athleticism in the backcourt. I'd love me some Joe Johnson or Dwyane Wade, but they're not coming here. Next year Roddy can alleviate some of those problems by continuing his development, but I'm thinking a more realistic development is the Dampier/Butler contracts for Iggy and Brand. How much game does Brand have left?

dallaskd
04-26-2010, 11:38 PM

You havnt watched the Mavs play this year. He has been lights out in every aspect. The dude blocks shots like an animal too.

badfish22
04-26-2010, 11:40 PM

Maybe, but thats your opinion. If Bonner was getting more minutes than Mcdyess, spurfan wouldn't be too happy either.

Findog
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
You havnt watched the Mavs play this year. He has been lights out in every aspect. The dude blocks shots like an animal too.

Roddy gets lost sometimes on rotations and on knowing where to be. I agree he's got incredible skills and has made some highlight reel plays, but he is still just a rookie. I wish Carlisle had played him more, but he's not some magical cure-all.

Ignignokt
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Is that what they told you in Victoria, Texas?

Roddy b might be an instant transition machine, but he's not capable of playing team defense being a rookie and he will get out muscled by hill, parker or Ginobili. Terry actually does a decent job on parker. Roddy showed jack shit when he did get playoff minutes. Barea does the same thing he does, has more experience and will ballhog less.

edit: about the same, and that's from watching him come in.

Findog
04-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Roddy b might be an instant transition machine, but he's not capable of playing team defense being a rookie and he will get out muscled by hill, parker or Ginobili. Terry actually does a decent job on parker. Roddy showed jack shit when he did get playoff minutes. Barea does the same thing he does, has more experience and will ballhog less.

I agree Terry is decent when it comes to defending 1's. Makes it hard for me to understand why he can't get the backup PG minutes over Barea.

Ignignokt
04-26-2010, 11:44 PM

LOL x10000 i know 6'0 dudes that block shots like monsters in intramurals against 6'6 grizzly dunkers. Don't mean shit.

ElNono
04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
I agree Terry is decent when it comes to defending 1's. Makes it hard for me to understand why he can't get the backup PG minutes over Barea.

TBH, at this stage, I believe Carslile will definitely stick with what he believes in, which means plenty of minutes for JJ...

Findog
04-26-2010, 11:46 PM
TBH, at this stage, I believe Carslile will definitely stick with what he believes in, which means plenty of minutes for JJ...

When Kidd sits, he should stick Terry at the 1 and either Butler or Stevenson at the 2. I hope they don't pick up Barea's option so we're forced to go with another option for the backup 1 next year.

dallaskd
04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Carlisle is out if we dont win this series. Any worthy replacements? I can think of byron scott, darrell armstrong, pj carlesimo..

Ignignokt
04-26-2010, 11:48 PM

eh.. it's just a label. Terry guards parker any chance they are both in the game.

barea is so last year. Not saying he can't have another monster year, people forget Roger Mason is no longer the starting SG. Roddy B would be great, but the spurs will counter with Temple guarding kidd, parker guarding booby, and hill guarding terry. WHile that's not the perfect band aid defense, the athletic abilities are negated in each matchup and the mavs still suck at halfcourt offense.

Ghazi
04-26-2010, 11:55 PM
lol Byron Scott

Findog
04-26-2010, 11:56 PM
WHile that's not the perfect band aid defense, the athletic abilities are negated in each matchup and the mavs still suck at halfcourt offense.

I know Kidd had a turn back the clock year and was really a plus for us, but the Spurs in this series have really defanged him by closing out hard on him so he can't get those open looks from three. He's forced to put the ball on the floor and then refuses to shoot because he knows he's going to throw up bricks. San Antonio has gummed up the works for our offense by taking away Kidd. That's why I think they can live with what Dirk is doing, because we can't consistently generate good looks in half-court sets by turning Kidd into a scoring liability. If we get eliminated, we really have to think long and hard about how he fits into this team since he has another two years left on his deal. Perhaps he's only worthy of 30 mpg next year, with Roddy getting 18 mpg at the 1 and an Iguodala/Joe Johnson type at the 2.

When you have a lineup of Kidd/Butler/Marion/Dirk/Damp together, that's only two guys that can create their own shot, and only one of whom can do it efficiently. I know Haywood doesn't guard Duncan well, but at this point you have to get more offense, and Haywood can catch a pass in traffic and finish. The best defense against Duncan is to make him play some and get into an up-tempo game.

I would think our best 5-man units at this point are:

Kidd/Terry/Marion/Dirk/Haywood

Kidd/Butler/Marion/Dirk/Haywood

Kidd/Terry/Butler/Dirk/Haywood

I'd like to see heavy doses of those starting tomorrow

Ignignokt
04-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Carlisle is out if we dont win this series. Any worthy replacements? I can think of byron scott, darrell armstrong, pj carlesimo..

You mav fans are dickwads. None of the coaches have been the problem. Carlisle is a good coach as was avery.

The biggest flaw in your team is Nowitzki.

When a 7'2 blonde vagina prematurely ejaculates by fist pumping after shooting a fade away over nate robinson, that kind of attitude trickles down to Terry, Butler, Barea, Dampier, and any scrub who manages to sink a fluke three.

Let me get this clear, Dirk's talent's not the issue, he's a great player, a once in a generation type. It's his professional attitude. He celebrates way too much, peaks way too early and when the going gets tough, he's down like Cobain after a heroin binge. This guy needs to change his mentality and have a balanced mindset. Kidd may celebrate, but his actions are more controlled.

Kidd, Carlisle and Terry are not your problems.

If the howard trade had occurred in the beggning of the season, haywood and butler would have had time to learn the offense and defense, and this series would have been tied or possibly in the mavs favor.

monosylab1k
04-27-2010, 12:08 AM

Carlisle is most definitely not out after the Mavs get eliminated. And all 3 of those choices are terrible.

Dwane Casey or Del Harris. But it doesn't matter because Carlisle isn't going anywhere.

mogrovejo
04-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Paul Silas.

On the other hand, maybe there's no hope of winning a championship because your star player celebrates too much, too soon.

Findog
04-27-2010, 12:12 AM
On the other hand, maybe there's no hope of winning a championship because your star player celebrates too much, too soon.

:lol

I detect sarcasm.

FkLA
04-27-2010, 12:14 AM

http://www.grimmemennesker.dk/data/media/2/LOL.jpg

DAF86
04-27-2010, 12:14 AM
lol Dirk's problem isn't the way he celebrates, it's the fact that he has the physical imposibility of moving sideways or jumping very high (add to that the fact that he isn't one of the toughest bigmen out there) which makes him a liability on the defensive end. And although he is one of the greatest offensive players right now, his tendency to rely on jumpshots comes out to bit him in the ass at the most inoportun moments

Findog
04-27-2010, 12:20 AM
It's funny to see Dirk discussed as The Problem with this team, when he's been the best player in the series, and when the Mavs are a shit 30-52 team without him.

How on Earth were the Spurs able to overcome the stinkbombs put up by Duncan and Ginobili yesterday? They were worse than Dirk.

Ignignokt
04-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Paul Silas.

Laugh, but that kind of attitude kills composure and focus. There is a root problem of why this guy has to celebrate after every fadeaway over becky hammon or ernie smith, he is very insecure and every shot is a confirmation of his ability that he needs. Look at kobe, he sinks one in, he might grin, or do something cocky but he holds that bullshit till the 4th, and even then it's a controlled killer fist clench. Kobe has an assasins reaction, just like duncan. They both know that the game isn't over until that buzzer ends.

DAF86
04-27-2010, 12:28 AM
It's funny to see Dirk discussed as The Problem with this team, when he's been the best player in the series, and when the Mavs are a shit 30-52 team without him.

How on Earth were the Spurs able to overcome the stinkbombs put up by Duncan and Ginobili yesterday? They were worse than Dirk.

If you're talking about my comment, I didn't say Dirk was the problem for the Mavs (he indeed has been the best player of this series), I'm just talking about what imho are Dirk's historical problems.

Ignignokt
04-27-2010, 12:29 AM

It's funny that you think anyone one on here was attacking his talent.

Talent to put the ball in a hoop is good, but it won't guarantee that you do the same once the symptoms of arrythmia and anxiety set in during a tough situation. You only have to look at the Golden St and miami series to realize how bad composure has cost this team a chance to make it big.

There is a phenomena known as the "bedroom guitarist" who can whail and shred in the comfort of his bedroom but once he appears on stage, his uncontrolled nervouse tension doesn't allow him to play with the proper technique and skill because his body is not in control, thus he can barely squeek out a line and folds.

Music, Sports, Public Speaking are all performance arts. Anxiety is a culprit to the delaying of success in either arena, and the best way to combat performance anxiety is to be controlled, breath properly and not exert excessive energy or get worked up. Dirk is way too emotional, and while some people can handle it, he can't. Peja stoyakavich could sink shots from anywhere but when it comes to adversity he tends to brick.( now he may have another underlying cause of his trouble, but we suffer in different ways).

Dirk's unearned celebratory gestures lull him into a false sense of security, that's why he and his copycats underperform in clutch situations.

monosylab1k
04-27-2010, 12:34 AM
So Dirk's supposed overcelebrating of even routine plays is to blame for the Mavs playoff woes?

If that's the case, how in the hell did a trio of Garnett/Allen/Pierce win an NBA championship?

Findog
04-27-2010, 12:37 AM
If you're talking about my comment, I didn't say Dirk was the problem for the Mavs (he indeed has been the best player of this series), I'm just talking about what imho are Dirk's historical problems.

Well they came within 2-3 possessions of winning a title in 2006 with a "jumpshooter" as their best player. Close, but not enough. The fact of the matter is that at any given time there are 8-12 "franchise" players in the league and Dirk has been one of them.

We could do a post-mortem on each and every post-season exit, but I'll sum it up like this:

2001-2004: Young team in a conference where the Lakers and Spurs were better and more seasoned, not good enough defensively under Nellie, ran into some bad luck in 2003 with Dirk's injury, etc.

2005-2007: Improved defensively while Dirk molded into his prime. The problem here is that Dirk was a #1 option on a team that had some good #3 options but not a solid #2. Howard came close to fulfilling that #2 role in 2006 and 2007, which is why they made a Finals and followed it up with a great regular season. They lost three Finals games by a total of 6 points, so that's just as much a function of chance as it is one team being better than the other. The same ethos that says Point Differential is a greater predictor of playoff success than W-L records also holds that close games decided by 5 points or less are essentially coin-flip affairs. The Mavs had a championship-caliber team in 2006 but ultimately came away empty.

2007-present: The Gasol trade changed the landscape of the West and caused the Mavs to alter their identity with the Kidd trade and a coaching change. It took them a full year to incorporate Kidd into the roster and develop a new identity.

As it stands now, they are still a 50-win team, but they remind me of the Jazz towards the end of the Malone/Stockton Era. Their last bullet in the chamber is the Dampier/Butler/Stevenson/Barea contracts this summer.

da_suns_fan
04-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Heres what I would do if I was that fuck, to at least give the Mavs a chance at a comeback.

1. Haywood starts. I don't give a fuck about all this bullshit "ohhh Damp is a better Duncan defender". People are under this false impression from last years playoffs. They fail to remember, however, that Duncan was banged up. I have seen Haywood do a great job against Duncan at times during this series. Also Duncan has to actually do something on D when Haywood is out there. Damp gives us nothing. No that is not an exaggeration, Damp has literally given us nothing in terms of offense. He has no fucking field goals the entire series. Another plus of starting Haywood is that he gets more PT with Kidd, which is a lot better than attempting to ball with Shorty Gonzales. Also, giving Haywood the start will pump him up. A energized Haywood does wonders for this team.

2. More Roddy B. No more JJB at SG. Roddy should get 15 minutes on Tuesday. Why the hell not? What do you have to lose? Get him out there. The Mavs lack easy buckets and Roddy is a one man fast break. If Roddy starts playing well and Jet and/or Caron isn't, give him some of their minutes. Roddy could be our answer to George Hill.

3. More Marion. Even though he was playing great offense in game 4, he was still benched in the 4th. Inexcusable. We need our defenders out there. The offense in the 4th should be run primarily through Dirk anyway, bringing me to my next point.

4. Keep giving the motherfucking ball to Dirk. I think he only had like 5 shots midway through the third quarter. Dirk is always talking about how he hates long rests, so I assume long periods of getting ignored on offense isn't fun for him either. He loves getting himself into a rhythm, which is way he starts shooting shots on game day before most players. We shouldn't post Marion up and iso him 6-7 times a day. Thats just taking touches away from Dirk.

Hopefully he pulls his head out and does some of these things.

You lost me there. I can see playing more butler because hes much better at getting his own shot.

Findog
04-27-2010, 12:40 AM
It's funny that you think anyone one on here was attacking his talent.

Talent to put the ball in a hoop is good, but it won't guarantee that you do the same once the symptoms of arrythmia and anxiety set in during a tough situation. You only have to look at the Golden St and miami series to realize how bad composure has cost this team a chance to make it big.

There is a phenomena known as the "bedroom guitarist" who can whail and shred in the comfort of his bedroom but once he appears on stage, his uncontrolled nervouse tension doesn't allow him to play with the proper technique and skill because his body is not in control, thus he can barely squeek out a line and folds.

Music, Sports, Public Speaking are all performance arts. Anxiety is a culprit to the delaying of success in either arena, and the best way to combat performance anxiety is to be controlled, breath properly and not exert excessive energy or get worked up. Dirk is way too emotional, and while some people can handle it, he can't. Peja stoyakavich could sink shots from anywhere but when it comes to adversity he tends to brick.( now he may have another underlying cause of his trouble, but we suffer in different ways).

Dirk's unearned celebratory gestures lull him into a false sense of security, that's why he and his copycats underperform in clutch situations.

All I can say is that Dirk's rep as a playoff choker is woefully overblown. He's one of only six guys in NBA history to put up a 25/11 for his playoff career. He's been good enough to be the best player on a team that has won 8 playoff series in his career.

Go back and look at the final two games of the 2006 Finals: He was terrific. In 2007 he was playing through a foot injury. if Spurs fans get to whine about Timmy's plantar fasciitis in 2006, why can't Mavs fans whine about his 19/10 on bone spurs in 2007?

DAF86
04-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Well they came within 2-3 possessions of winning a title in 2006 with a "jumpshooter" as their best player.

If you put it that way, then it's also fair to say that the Mavs were one boneheaded play away of losing on the second round that year. If Manu would have just let Dirk make the two (like any sane would have done) the Mavericks would have never gotten to the NBA finals.

Ghazi
04-27-2010, 12:49 AM
If you put it that way, then it's also fair to say that the Mavs were one boneheaded play away of losing on the second round that year. If Manu would have just let Dirk make the two (like any sane would have done) the Mavericks would have never gotten to the NBA finals.

True, so?

Ignignokt
04-27-2010, 12:51 AM
So Dirk's supposed overcelebrating of even routine plays is to blame for the Mavs playoff woes?

If that's the case, how in the hell did a trio of Garnett/Allen/Pierce win an NBA championship?

Out of those, KG is the worst offender yet Peirce was the leader of that team, and KG was not the franchise player.

also;

Garnett dunking over Gasol and chest bumping >>>>>>>>>>> Dirk Shooting over nate robinson and fist pumping

Allen draining a three over Bowen then getting pumped >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dirk fadeing over Beno Udrih and sticking his tongue out.

Peirce driving in on Kobe and Bynum for a jam, slamming the ball getting a techincal and revving up the crowd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dirk making an off balanced hookshot over Tony Parker and making a mean mug.

Flux451
04-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Cuban should fire Carlisle this offseason and hire Larry Brown. Hey, it worked for the Pistons.

Ignignokt
04-27-2010, 12:54 AM
if you're going to celebrate, do it proportionate to the defender who guards you. It's like Mono starting a thread over schooling Ducks in basketball knowledge.

DAF86
04-27-2010, 12:55 AM
True, so?

I was just countering Findog's "Mavs were two possesions away of winning the NBA championship" argument.

But if you want to get something out of my comment then the question could be: Would Dirk legacy be the same if he wouldn't have lead his team to the finals?

John Terry
04-27-2010, 04:06 AM
ok.
because you have too many retarded dummies who jinxed the Mavs pretty badly, featuring monoshitlab1k and... you know who.

Findog
04-27-2010, 08:53 AM

You forget the Mavs were one Terry nutpunch from ending that series in 6 games. The Spurs were lucky the series went that long. Besides, they still had overtime in G7 to right the ship and they couldn't do it. Just like the Mavs still had a game at home after the Salvatore call at the end of G5 and they couldn't do it.

Rogue
04-27-2010, 09:06 AM
I was just countering Findog's "Mavs were two possesions away of winning the NBA championship" argument.

But if you want to get something out of my comment then the question could be: Would Dirk legacy be the same if he wouldn't have lead his team to the finals?
If the Mavs had wrapped up game 3 in finals that year, I say they would have secured the championship with 3-0 over the Cheat, considering no team has ever surmounted a 0-3 deficit in a 7-game series so far in the history of NBA. Mavs could have won this game, but Mr. Stern didn't want it this way, hence we saw the refs lent their hands and tacitly helped them with the next 2 games. Losing the 2-0 lead harshly ravaged the confidences of those feeble fucks, and you know what happened next.

ElNono
04-27-2010, 09:09 AM
That whole coulda, woulda, shoulda is water under the bridge. Spursfan could argue that their team was .4 seconds from extending the series against the lakers in '04, or a bad call away from taking the WCF in '08, or as DAF pointed out, a boneheaded play from the Finals in '06.

Dallasfan could argue that should they have gone past the Warriors, they could have won it all in '07.

Back in the real world, Miami won fair and square. Dallas was the better team in the '06 series against the Spurs. Lakers beat us and we moved on. And Dirk just couldn't get it done, much like other greats like Barkley, Malone or Stockton.

Rogue
04-27-2010, 09:24 AM
That whole coulda, woulda, shoulda is water under the bridge. Spursfan could argue that their team was .4 seconds from extending the series against the lakers in '04, or a bad call away from taking the WCF in '08, or as DAF pointed out, a boneheaded play from the Finals in '06.

Dallasfan could argue that should they have gone past the Warriors, they could have won it all in '07.

Back in the real world, Miami won fair and square. Dallas was the better team in the '06 series against the Spurs. Lakers beat us and we moved on. And Dirk just couldn't get it done, much like other greats like Barkley, Malone or Stockton.
I'm not one of the psychotic morons who have been living in delusions/imaginations for nearly four years since 2006. Miami HEAT were the champions that year and I've never denied the truth. It makes ZERO sense to refute it, on the other hand however, it also makes little sense to call that series "fair" or "square" or shit. Those games were nakedly rigged and you have to be blind to say otherwise. The games videos are still available on Internet so you can easily go for a search if you need something to convince yourself of the truth.

The Mavs-Spurs series wasn't rigged, but I had to say there were some bad calls made in that series like that Duncan got a foul for Dirk's stepping on and then falling off his foot. I can't disagree the Mavs-Spurs series that year was evenly matched and could have gone either way, the Mavs just got better luck and qualified. You can't expect refs to make every call accurately and their mistakes made in Spurs-Mavs series were well tolerable, but that's not how it was in the finals that year. Mavs 5 men lost to Miami 6, which is fair to say.

DPG21920
04-27-2010, 09:33 AM
If you believe the NBA is rigged and you still watch, what does that say about you?

badfish22
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think starting Roddy might be a good idea.
Hes an instant offense kinda guy who guy start the game off with a roddy-oop and get the crowd into it. Maybe fix these 17 point first quarters we've been having. Also, he is probably the best option on Hill that we have on this team.

Kidd
Roddy
Marion
Dirk
Haywood

Just thinking out loud. I would definitely start Haywood though. That shouldn't be a question.

mavsfan1000
04-27-2010, 05:44 PM
If you believe the NBA is rigged and you still watch, what does that say about you?
It says we are basketball addicts that can't stop watching.

DPG21920
04-27-2010, 07:10 PM
It says we are basketball addicts that can't stop watching.

It says you are tards for cheering and going on about something you think is fixed.

sribb43
04-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Haywood is starting tonight....but still, Fuck Carlisle

badfish22
04-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Haywood is starting tonight...

You serious? :hat:hat:hat:hat:hat

Like our chances a bit more

sribb43
04-27-2010, 08:31 PM
You serious? :hat:hat:hat:hat:hat

Like our chances a bit more

Took him 5 damn games to make the switch, however a little to late

FkLA
04-27-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm not one of the psychotic morons who have been living in delusions/imaginations for nearly four years since 2006. Miami HEAT were the champions that year and I've never denied the truth. It makes ZERO sense to refute it, on the other hand however, it also makes little sense to call that series "fair" or "square" or shit. Those games were nakedly rigged and you have to be blind to say otherwise. The games videos are still available on Internet so you can easily go for a search if you need something to convince yourself of the truth.

The Mavs-Spurs series wasn't rigged, but I had to say there were some bad calls made in that series like that Duncan got a foul for Dirk's stepping on and then falling off his foot. I can't disagree the Mavs-Spurs series that year was evenly matched and could have gone either way, the Mavs just got better luck and qualified. You can't expect refs to make every call accurately and their mistakes made in Spurs-Mavs series were well tolerable, but that's not how it was in the finals that year. Mavs 5 men lost to Miami 6, which is fair to say.

Did the refs change the size of the rims when the Mavs were missing key FTs? Did they telekinetically guide all those amazing shots Wade was hitting? Did the refs turn into Moses and part the Mavs defense allowing Wade to penetrate them at will? Where were these refs that were out to get the poor Mavs the first 11 quarters of that series? The Mavs had the series won and they choked it away plain and simple. Sure there were some 'phantom' calls but alot of superstars get those calls, Dirk himself benefitted and to this day still benefits from that...how many fucking FTs does he get because he goes flying after a fadeaway despite little to no contact?

The NBA had no agenda against Dallas that series, nor were they looking to make Wade an NBA poster boy. The Mavs were clearly the better team but once they went into choke mode that changed. Heat > choke mode Mavs. The better team won.

badfish22
04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Did the refs change the size of the rims when the Mavs were missing key FTs? Did they telekinetically guide all those amazing shots Wade was hitting? Did the refs turn into Moses and part the Mavs defense allowing Wade to penetrate them at will? Where were these refs that were out to get the poor Mavs the first 11 quarters of that series? The Mavs had the series won and they choked it away plain and simple. Sure there were some 'phantom' calls but alot of superstars get those calls, Dirk himself benefitted and to this day still benefits from that...how many fucking FTs does he get because he goes flying after a fadeaway despite little to no contact?

The NBA had no agenda against Dallas that series, nor were they looking to make Wade an NBA poster boy. The Mavs were clearly the better team but once they went into choke mode that changed. Heat > choke mode Mavs. The better team won.

Keep your stupidy out of this thread. This thread is about Rick Carlisle being a fuckface.

FkLA
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
This thread is about Rick Carlisle being a fuckface.

Says the guy that knows jack shit about basketball. You guys are like those idiot Spur fans that think theyre a better coach than Pop. Quit acting like Bowlbwall is some savior or that giving Shawn "I dissapear in the playoffs" Marion more PT would change the outcome of the series. Carlisle isnt some legendary coach but he's solid, not his fault the Mavs are notorious chokers.

sribb43
04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Fuck Carlisle and his 3 guard lineup

badfish22
04-27-2010, 11:02 PM
:tu for starting Haywood

dallaskd
04-27-2010, 11:04 PM
lol at Dampier never touching the court. good job carlisle :tu

mavsfan1000
04-27-2010, 11:07 PM
lol at Dampier never touching the court. good job carlisle :tu
In scrub time he should be able to play. :lol

dallaskd
04-27-2010, 11:17 PM
In scrub time he should be able to play. :lol

Whatever we did tonight, it worked. Maybe it was simply the Mavs hitting their shots. Obviously Butler played great. It was also collective that the spurs played like garbage. Ive said from game 4, this series will go 7. Just need the same dosage of Haywood and Dampier that we had tonight. Terry and Butler need to show up. Dirk and Kidd will, that is a given. I like our chances. Believe.

jacobdrj
04-28-2010, 02:26 AM
My biggest gripe with Rick Carlisle when he was with the Pistons is that he put players in the doghouse sometimes... His benching of Jon Barry, for example, killed any outside chance of extending the series against the Nets in 2003. It was total posturing and ego with that move.
But his in-game adjustments are generally top-notch.