PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Big Snacks, little threat?

Kori Ellis
05-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Buck Harvey: Big Snacks, little threat? Seattle's X-centric X-factor
Web Posted: 05/08/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA050805.1C.COL.BKNharvey.251600128.html

The Sonics don't trust Jerome James on this stage. The seven-footer they once called Big Snacks, after all, goes against the Big Fundamental.

James is capable of missing the team bus, which he did the last time Seattle met the Spurs in the playoffs. And he's capable of missing everything else, too.

A few years ago, after Nate McMillan suggested James was being selfish, James disagreed. "I don't have the first clue who he's talking about," he said, "because all I worry about is Jerome."

But just when everyone thought James didn't have a first clue — or second or third, either — the Sacramento series happened. Then he blocked shots, scored and generally woke up after five years of being Big Snacks.

After that, can the Spurs trust James to be what he had always been before?

Few are concerned. The Spurs aren't the Kings, and Tim Duncan surely isn't Brad Miller.

James is likely the same guy, too. Asked last season if he'd been caught napping in a film session, James explained: "It's not like I was sleeping. I just dozed off."

He's dozed off for most of his career, and it covers up the remarkable story of an NBA starter who didn't play high-school basketball. He signed with Florida A&M after the coach there noticed a huge student walking on campus.

The result? James finished 15th on the NCAA career list with 363 blocks over three seasons.

Sacramento drafted him in the second round. He hurt his knee. He fattened up on Twinkies. He went to Europe. And he got another chance with the Sonics because, well, he was still 7-foot-1.

But even when Big Snacks lost some weight and showed some promise, there was still reason not to trust him. Earlier this season against the Spurs showed that, when he repeatedly shouted during a timeout "We about business today!"

It was more annoying than inspiring. According to Seattle newspapers, Luke Ridnour pushed James toward the huddle and assistant coach Bob Weiss told him to be quiet.

James couldn't stay quiet. At the end of the Sonics' win he twice chose to call Duncan a two-word, prison-yard term for wimp.

Some wimp. Duncan was on his way to 39 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks.

A ref heard the curse and called a technical foul, and Antonio Daniels heard it, too. Daniels yelled at his teammate, then apologized to Duncan. James later apologized to the Sonics.

Little wonder the Kings were so shocked in the first round. The same center who averaged 4.9 points in the regular season came up with 17 points and 15 rebounds in the opener.

"If he plays like that again, so be it," said the Kings' Cuttino Mobley. "I seriously doubt it. Nothing against him. You're not Shaq."

Then James scored 41 points with 18 rebounds over the course of two games, and Mobley reacted with understandable frustration: "It takes seven years to get (him) fired up?"

James says he's growing up, but there were signs even during the Sacramento series that he hasn't. For example, James said during a TNT interview that Sacramento's Rick Adelman had cut him in training camp in 2000 by handing him a trash bag to clean out his locker.

And Adelman's parting shot, according to James: Adelman told him he should find a new line of work.

Adelman was flabbergasted. He said he's never cut a player without others around. That James was given two equipment bags. And that he has never told anyone to find a new line of work.

"It's so erroneous," Adelman told reporters. "I mean, really, I don't know where Jerome came up with that."

No one knows where he comes up with any of it. And even after James said he wished the rest of the interview had been aired — because he had been more kind to Adelman — he celebrated after Seattle clinched the series by tying a garbage bag around his neck.

Given that, why should the Spurs take him seriously? Isn't this a fragile personality who comes apart in a tense series?

It is, especially against the calm of Duncan.

But last week also showed other possibilities, and that's why James is the X-factor of this series. What if James changes Manu Ginobili's drives, bothers Duncan and plays as he did against Sacramento?

That would be outrageous, all right.

From a man who often is.

Solid D
05-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Jerome James vs. Spurs regular season 2004-05

Game 1 - 4 Pts., 3 Rebs
Game 2 - 0 Pts., 3 Rebs
Game 3 - 12 Pts., 6 Rebs
Game 4 - 2 Pts., 1 Reb
Total Avg - 4.5 Pts., 3.25 Rebs

T Park
05-08-2005, 01:01 AM
What if James changes Manu Ginobili's drives, bothers Duncan and plays as he did against Sacramento?

I dont think Ginobili is that easily bothered.

Nor do I think Duncan would be that easily bothered.

Upfake, take it right at him.

Rick Von Braun
05-08-2005, 09:50 AM
I dont think Ginobili is that easily bothered.

Nor do I think Duncan would be that easily bothered.

Upfake, take it right at him.
Tim is bothered by physical play. There are many, many examples, including the first two losses against Seattle in the regular season.

GrandeDavid
05-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Big Snacks is a headcase and is fast reminding me of poor Leon Smith.

ca®lo
05-08-2005, 10:38 AM
james is a crack case.

maxpower
05-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I've never been in prison ...so what is a two word prison-yard term for wimp?

duncan2k5
05-08-2005, 11:20 AM
same thing im wondering

boutons
05-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Tim has a finesse-only offensive game. An apparently wimpy player like Pau has more, better power moves than Tim. One still-to-recent playoff example was Karl effectively pushing, powering Tim out of the low block, neutralizing Tim last May in games 3-6.

But Fortson, James, Evans are no where near the level of Malone.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2005, 01:42 PM
What if James changes Manu Ginobili's drives

He gets in foul trouble.

People who are discounting Seattle's front line and their physical play are in for a big surprise. Duncan hates the way they play in the post.

The only thing I can hope for is with all of this talk by James about being a thug, the refs call that shit in the post tight.

Kori Ellis
05-08-2005, 03:18 PM
I've never been in prison ...so what is a two word prison-yard term for wimp?

I believe he said "fucking pussy".

GrandeDavid
05-08-2005, 04:21 PM
^Kori, thinks for setting the record straight. At first I thought he said something along the "bitch" lines, or even something involving the "c word"...but then I figured it out...and I haven't even been to prison! :lol