PDA

View Full Version : the spurs urgency.....

clambake
04-27-2010, 09:12 AM
.....is very simple to explain.

their legacy is at stake and they've tired of losing to the mavs, year after year after year. they've tired of losing to the chokers for so long. it's been a deep and brutal dent in their armor, which has glaringly exposed the obvious "2 asterisks" that has shrouded their success.

but how long can they continue this frantic pace?

will there be anything left?

any thoughts? :wakeup

Dex
04-27-2010, 09:14 AM
:wakeup

coyotes_geek
04-27-2010, 09:16 AM
My thoughts are that viewing this thread was a waste of my time.

it's me
04-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Insignificant

Mel_13
04-27-2010, 09:24 AM
One would think that a team would have a greater sense of urgency to get someplace for the very first time rather than to return to a place they've visited many times before...

VBM
04-27-2010, 09:25 AM
it's been a deep and brutal dent in their armor,

Mavs need to take care of these three dents in their armor.

http://chaunceybillups.blogspot.com/steve_kerr.jpg
http://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/dwyane-wade-of-the-miami-heat.jpg
http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070504/070504_baron_davis_hlrg_8a.hlarge.jpg

SsKSpurs21
04-27-2010, 09:26 AM

i thought the same exact thing.

SpursRulez4eVeR
04-27-2010, 09:27 AM

spursbird
04-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Sigh, the losers always think this way

ohmwrecker
04-27-2010, 09:32 AM
their legacy is at stake and they've tired of losing to the mavs, year after year after year. they've tired of losing to the chokers for so long.

The Spurs have been ousted by the Mavs only two out of the last four years and before that they owned the Mavs. This year they are going to bookend that ownership.

Give it a rest Mavfan.

nkdlunch
04-27-2010, 09:35 AM

their legacy is at stake and they've tired of losing to the mavs, year after year after year. they've tired of losing to the chokers for so long. it's been a deep and brutal dent in their armor, which has glaringly exposed the obvious "2 asterisks" that has shrouded their success.

yup agree. They are also finally healthy so they will take care of business in round 1. After that, we shall see....

the mavs in the other hand are being robbed of the last thing they could hold on to "beating the spurs championships" now they won't have anything left except failure

Agloco
04-27-2010, 09:35 AM

Long enough to get Win #4.

4-rings faggot.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Seriously, beating the mavs in game 5, at their place and with their best team ever would just do that. This is a defining moment in the history of this franchise. Who would have thought this was even possible 3 months ago?

nkdlunch
04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Who would have thought this was even possible 3 months ago?

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0521/nba_hollinger_john1_sw_576.jpg

clambake
04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
i'm a spurs fan, too, and i'm concerned about the 2 trophies and 2 asterisks.

it's a dead heat. they're not the first team to have these lingering doubts.

the patriots have the same problem.

koriwhat
04-27-2010, 09:56 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0521/nba_hollinger_john1_sw_576.jpg

^ hunter is that you?

koriwhat
04-27-2010, 09:57 AM

the patriots have asterisks because they're straight up cheaters!

Dex
04-27-2010, 09:58 AM

I think some Mav fans overestimate how much they've tarnished the Spurs legacy. Perhaps because beating the Spurs is just about the biggest thing the Mavs have successfully accomplished in the past 5 years. What team doesn't like winning as the underdog, or taking down their big rival? I don't blame Mav fans for getting excited, and I don't blame Spurs fans for getting tired of it.

That being said, 25 years down the line, when people are looking through the NBA history books and talking about the four titles and the Spurs Dynasty (or near-dynasty or whatever you want to call it), I don't think anyone is going to chime in, "but remember all those times they got beaten by the Mavs!?"

Except maybe a Mavs fan.

ohmwrecker
04-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Two asterisks?

clambake
04-27-2010, 10:03 AM
I think some Mav fans overestimate how much they've tarnished the Spurs legacy. Perhaps because beating the Spurs is just about the biggest thing the Mavs have successfully accomplished in the past 5 years. What team doesn't like winning as the underdog, or taking down their big rival? I don't blame Mav fans for getting excited, and I don't blame Spurs fans for getting tired of it.

That being said, 25 years down the line, when people are looking through the NBA history books and talking about the four titles and the Spurs Dynasty (or near-dynasty or whatever you want to call it), I don't think anyone is going to chime in, "but remember all those times they got beaten by the Mavs!?"

Except maybe a Mavs fan.

i agree completely. the mavs could actually benefit from this kind of defeat.

but my concern is how to remove the blinding glare from those asterisks.

in2deep
04-27-2010, 10:08 AM

nobody will remember the asterisks except mavfans. and they are a dying breed.

Dex
04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
i agree completely. the mavs could actually benefit from this kind of defeat.

:lmao I'm sure Tim Duncan really loses sleep at night over the "asterisks".

To follow up with your point though, I think the Spurs, personally, are playing with a bit more fire due to the fact that they are just sick and tired of being beat up by the Mavericks. While I don't think it really has any implication on the Spurs historic standings, I'm pretty sure Duncan and co. have a personal obligation and don't want to see another damned season ended by Dallas.

clambake
04-27-2010, 10:12 AM
nobody will remember the asterisks except mavfans. and they are a dying breed.

i guess denial is one way to address it.

thanks for participating.

anyone else?

draft87
04-27-2010, 10:13 AM

yeah seriously, it's like, "I know everybody's so shocked and confused that the Spurs are kicking the Mavs butts but I have the answer, it's actually really simple when you think about it. Here it is. Dribble dribble. Dribble. Double dribble. ...Any thoughts?"

I don't want to sound like a "get the fuck out mav fan fuck you mavs die"
but geez, does this dude seriously think there are people in Spurs world trying to figure out how this is happening? Some may be surprised but no one is wondering how. The only people who are asking these questions are Mavs fans. This post should be in a Mavs forum.

Besides "year after year after year" is 3 years. Mavs beat us twice. Fart.

and 95.5 ppg is not a frantic pace. But it is really funny to imagine Mavs fans at home watching the games frantically pacing their rooms freaking out every time George Hill runs over Terry or Kidd!

in2deep
04-27-2010, 10:14 AM
i guess denial is one way to address it.

thanks for participating.

anyone else?

oh but it's not denial. It's a fact. In the history books Spurs will have minimum 4 championships, while mavs will have some records such as biggest upset in NBA history, biggest choke job in NBA Finals history, etc.

clambake
04-27-2010, 10:18 AM
oh but it's not denial. It's a fact. In the history books Spurs will have minimum 4 championships, while mavs will have some records such as biggest upset in NBA history, biggest choke job in NBA Finals history, etc.

but you, yourself, have already confirmed the asterisks existence.

what should we do?

spurs10
04-27-2010, 10:18 AM

Hate to say, but my thoughts are, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU! The concept of the Mavs and that idiot Cuban having any real signifigance in the unbelievable cool, against all odds, legacy of Tim, Manu, TP, Pop, and every single person, from top to bottom, involved with the Spurs is sorry and stupid. How do you, even in a moment of insanity, compare these teams? :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

in2deep
04-27-2010, 10:22 AM

what should we do?

nothing. the asterisks won't make the history books, just like killing all the indians or other events like that in history.

MoSpur
Wow you Mavs fans are reaching. Whatever you gotta write to make you feel a little better I guess.

MoSpur
Enjoy hanging that SW Conference Banner.

spurs10
04-27-2010, 10:23 AM
The Spurs have been ousted by the Mavs only two out of the last four years and before that they owned the Mavs. This year they are going to bookend that ownership.

Give it a rest Mavfan.
Had to say a hell yeah through my laughter!

clambake
04-27-2010, 10:24 AM
i don't think you guys understand. i want the spurs to keep rolling so they can turn those 4 trophies into 3.

honestfool84
04-27-2010, 10:24 AM

their legacy is at stake and they've tired of losing to the mavs, year after year after year. they've tired of losing to the chokers for so long.

um, we've only lost to the mavs TWICE. 2006 and then last year, 2009.

not YEAR after YEAR after YEAR.

SpursRulez4eVeR
04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CqDk4jAv_Y4/S9aBK-Y7jHI/AAAAAAAAB_s/BrUImXzHqPw/s1600/09.jpg

which stage are you in? brah

Fpoonsie
04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
i don't think you guys understand. i want the spurs to keep rolling so they can turn those 4 trophies into 3.

Clam. You've shown your hand too early by not responding to Dex's well-thought out reply.

Poor [troll] form.

FromWayDowntown
04-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Clearly, the Mavericks have been unfairly denied the championship in every NBA season since 2002-03. Having hung asterisks on two of the Spurs' titles during that time period and the Heat's title, there's little doubt that all of the other championships awarded during this era are marred by either official intrusion upon the Mavericks' claim of right to the title or by unfortunate injuries that cost the Mavs the titles that obviously would have been theirs otherwise.

SpurCharger
04-27-2010, 10:28 AM

2 Asterisks???? We have 4 rings.... You can take Your asterisks And stick them Somewhere....

clambake
04-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Clam. You've shown your hand too early by not responding to Dex's well-thought out reply.

Poor [troll] form.

are you talking about this?

Fpoonsie
04-27-2010, 10:34 AM
:lmao I'm sure Tim Duncan really loses sleep at night over the "asterisks".

To follow up with your point though, I think the Spurs, personally, are playing with a bit more fire due to the fact that they are just sick and tired of being beat up by the Mavericks. While I don't think it really has any implication on the Spurs historic standings, I'm pretty sure Duncan and co. have a personal obligation and don't want to see another damned season ended by Dallas.

Este.

Re-reading my post, it does come of a tad sarcastic. My bad.

cheguevara
04-27-2010, 10:34 AM
damn. mavfans are in a sad state. I don't know what to say, someone give them a hug

fmedrano1977
04-27-2010, 10:38 AM
My thoughts are fuck you!, go fuck yourself!, go to fucking hell! Mavs suck, choke, swallow, and basically anything else one can think of. GO SPURS GO!

z0sa
04-27-2010, 10:42 AM
The Spurs are playing urgent because they can taste blood and whatever metal the trophy is made from.

clambake
04-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Este.

Re-reading my post, it does come of a tad sarcastic. My bad.

oh, i read his post. it was well thought out, and it addressed many of things i've considered.

however, to say that timmy hasn't lost sleep over the asterisks is pure projection.

Fpoonsie
04-27-2010, 10:48 AM
oh, i read his post. it was well thought out, and it addressed many of things i've considered.

however, to say that timmy hasn't lost sleep over the asterisks is pure projection.

As is the assumption he HAS. If you look at-...

...godDAMMIT, clam! Well played. You got me.

nkdlunch
04-27-2010, 10:52 AM
what a sad display of a trolling attempt.

Strike
04-27-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm sorry, 2 asterisks? you lost me.

Dex
04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry, 2 asterisks? you lost me.

Some Suns fans are still crying because Amare doesn't know the rules. :sleep

doobs
04-27-2010, 11:01 AM
What asterisks?

Strike
04-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Some Suns fans are still crying because Amare doesn't know the rules. :sleep

Ok, that's one implied asterisk. And obviously, the '99 title where the Spurs apparently received some sort of special treatment from the league that no other team received.

Haters gonna hate. :lol

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-04-01/1238537792463.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2010, 11:04 AM
mavfans lowering themselves to sunsfans, fckin lame...

doobs
04-27-2010, 11:06 AM
I take it the Lakers get asterisks for the piss-poor officiating in the 2002 WCF and the absence of KG from the 2009 playoffs. Oh, and the 2004 Pistons get one for 0.4, since the Spurs wouldn't have imploded like the Lakers did.

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could debate Mavs asterisks?!

Strike
04-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I take it the Lakers get asterisks for the piss-poor officiating in the 2002 WCF and the absence of KG from the 2009 playoffs. Oh, and the 2004 Pistons get one for 0.4, since the Spurs wouldn't have imploded like the Lakers did.

Yeah but, unfortunately, like dividing by zero, it can't be done.

clambake
04-27-2010, 11:12 AM

it would be, but we should discuss what should be done to asterisks that actually exist.

any ideas?

rjv
04-27-2010, 11:17 AM
apparently, clambake isn't just an idiot when it comes to politics. at least there is consistency.

boutons_deux
04-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Mavs' Clambake gets IGNOREd :)

doobs
04-27-2010, 11:22 AM
it would be, but we should discuss what should be done to asterisks that actually exist.

any ideas?

First, you tell me which titles should have asterisks and why.

Then I'll tell you that you're a retard.

This is how this works.

clambake
04-27-2010, 11:23 AM
apparently, clambake isn't just an idiot when it comes to politics. at least there is consistency.

thank you, i think.

but that doesn't help us here with the discussion.

clearly, someone with your acumen has a thought provoking idea.

got anything?

Strike
04-27-2010, 11:23 AM

This is how this works.

Agreed. This should be stunning.

Horse
04-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Gimme a fucking break we should have 6, I say we repeat if Timmy is not hurt in 2000. And I don't care what anyone thinks in 2006 Manu did not foul dick on that bs and one. And we would've killed miami. You can also add 0.04 I can't even scratch my nuts in that amount of time, but fischer can dribble catch turnaround check the scoreboard, e-mail his mom and make a game winner in that time. Fuck this guy and soon enough we won't have to hear from him cause the mavs will be golfing 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clambake
04-27-2010, 11:29 AM
this has been addressed in this thread.....by spurs fans.

don't forget idiot. name calling just doesn't address the issue.

doobs
04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
lol

Dex
04-27-2010, 11:36 AM

Don't confuse the fact that we can identify these so called "asterisks" with us actually acknowledging them.

doobs
04-27-2010, 11:40 AM
the mavs lack of urgency . . .

clambake
04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Don't confuse the fact that we can identify these so called "asterisks" with us actually acknowledging them.

thats the denial we discussed earlier.

i'm looking for something that can eliminate them.

rjv
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
thank you, i think.

but that doesn't help us here with the discussion.

clearly, someone with your acumen has a thought provoking idea.

got anything?

does sarcasm necessitate syllogisms? my only suggestion would be for your thread to be a tad more original and less banal.

BronxCowboy
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Reading this thread has been an interesting journey. When I first noticed clambake's posts on this board (other threads), I thought he was one of the rare civil and intelligent Mav fans, along the lines of a monosyllabik1. This thread was initially a disappointment because it dawned on me that he is a troll. Then I actually started enjoying it, because it turns out that he is an extraordinarily skilled troll. Well done, clambake, you jackass.

Dice
04-27-2010, 11:46 AM

don't forget idiot. name calling just doesn't address the issue.

Just got off the phone with Stern and NBA record keeping. I tried to tell them we had an issue but they're saying it's a non-issue. As far as they're concerned, the issue is closed. I tried to tell them about this thread but they just cut me off.

Now the issue is acceptance. The guys, like yourself Clambake, that are hurting. You've got to accept things as they are and move on. And I'm here for you. We all are.

If we let you touch our Championship, will it make it better?

clambake
04-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Reading this thread has been an interesting journey. When I first noticed clambake's posts on this board (other threads), I thought he was one of the rare civil and intelligent Mav fans, along the lines of a monosyllabik1. This thread was initially a disappointment because it dawned on me that he is a troll. Then I actually started enjoying it, because it turns out that he is an extraordinarily skilled troll. Well done, clambake, you jackass.

:lol :toast

clambake
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
does sarcasm necessitate syllogisms? my only suggestion would be for your thread to be a tad more original and less banal.

you are very skilled at avoiding the discussion.

rjv
04-27-2010, 11:51 AM
you are very skilled at avoiding the discussion.

...and you not so much at avoiding irony.

Cane
04-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Must suck to be a Dallas fan. Supporting chokers like Tony Romo and Dirk must be hell for one's blood pressure.

clambake
04-27-2010, 11:52 AM
the deflecting shields on this one are strong.

z0sa
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM
There are no asterisks

Spur_Fanatic
04-27-2010, 11:58 AM

What a obvious troll :downspin:

clambake
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
There are no asterisks

just not inside your bubble.

NRHector
04-27-2010, 12:00 PM

what should we do?what you need to do is win at least one, with or without the asterik, Dirk is getting old and your window is closing

Loose Cannon
04-27-2010, 12:01 PM

what should we do?

The only people that ever talk about, or care about any supposed "asterisk" are fans of opposing teams that obsess over and lust for the Spurs success.

None of us give a shit. Kiss the rings, bitch.

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

clambake
04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
The only people that ever talk about, or care about any supposed "asterisk" are fans of opposing teams that obsess over and lust for the Spurs success.

None of us give a shit. Kiss the rings, bitch.

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

i am also a spurs fan, so, your statement is inaccurate.

clambake
04-27-2010, 12:06 PM
what you need to do is win at least one, with or without the asterik

i don't actually play for the mavs.

i should have made that declaration sooner.

Dex
04-27-2010, 12:07 PM
This is the song that never eeeeends....yes it goes on and on my frieeeends....

z0sa
04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
just not inside your bubble.

No, there are no asterisks.

clambake
04-27-2010, 12:16 PM
No, there are no asterisks.

i can see that this is too emotionally upsetting for you.

it's probably not healthy for you to stay in here.

z0sa
04-27-2010, 12:18 PM
i can see that this is too emotionally upsetting for you.

it's probably not healthy for you to stay in here.

Emotionally upset is you over your Mavericks tonight.

Please provide a list of NBA titles from NBA.com, ESPN, or some other unbiased source that marks any Spurs title with an asterisk.

clambake
04-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Please provide a list of NBA titles from NBA.com, ESPN, or some other unbiased source that marks any Spurs title with an asterisk.

thats not necessary. it's in the air that we breath as fellow spurs fans.

z0sa
04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
So no Spur title has an asterisk except in clambake's bubble.

:tu Thread over.

clambake
04-27-2010, 12:23 PM
So no Spur title has an asterisk except in clambake's bubble.

:tu Thread over.

it wish it were that easy. :depressed

NRHector
04-27-2010, 12:23 PM
thats not necessary. it's in the air that we breath as fellow spurs fans.

careful buddy that air can choke you

clambake
04-27-2010, 12:29 PM
careful buddy that air can choke you

thats not possible. the mavs have a tight grip on all the choke.

Pauleta14
04-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Two asterisks?

+1

Can someone tell what the 2nd one is? (the 1st being 99)

jsandiego
04-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Uhhh...

The Pistons should've won in 1988 but Isaiah had a sprained ankle in Game 7.
lakers should've won in 1989 but Magic & Byron Scott were injured.
In 1994 & 1995, Houston only won because Jordan was gone.
In 1997 & 1998, the Jazz got robbed on crucial ref calls and shoulda taken at least one of those two titles from the Bulls.
In 1999, the SPURS had the best 4th Q defense in history, but played a shortened season.
In 2002 & 2000, the Kings & Blazers were punked by Game 7 officiating, each against the lakers.
In 2004, the SPURS were punked by a turnaround jump shot that somehow took less than 0.4 seconds, then Malone was injured in the Finals against the Pistons.
In 2006, the mavs were handed 2 games by the officials, Duncan played injured and severely limited, and we STILL almost beat the lil' Mavs, only to watch them choke the Finals away. The Heat are the WORST title team of my generation. Oh yeah, Wade was given the Jordan treatment even more than Jordan.
In 2009, Garnett was injured and the lakers cheated to trade for Pau Gasol.

--------------

Dude, get over it. There's lots of moving parts. Something ALWAYS happens. That's life. Some may luck into one title (Heat, the almost-Mavs), but some teams do it over and over again to the point where luck has nothing to do with it.

Those aren't "astericks", those are circumstances. Winners win. Better winners win and make no excuses when they lose.

The fact of the matter is this -- here are the WINNERS:

80s Era
Lakers - 5
Celts - 3
Pistons - 2 (89/90)

90s Era
Bulls - 6
Rockets - 2

2000s Era
SPURS 4 (99/03/05/07)
lakers 3 (00/01/02)

No further excuses or astericks need be discussed.
:flag::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2::flag:

Strike
04-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Clam, I want to know why you think two of the Spurs titles deserve asterisks. Simply acknowledging that other posters know what you're referring to isn't enough to make your point, if you actually have one. So, explain your reasons and we'll go from there.

Loose Cannon
04-27-2010, 01:03 PM
i am also a spurs fan, so, your statement is inaccurate.

No, you aren't.

JWest596
04-27-2010, 01:06 PM
I have heard people talk about Dwayne Wade and Miami's championship year in MN and WI. I lived in Minnesota at the time so Texas, Spurs and their rivalry never entered the conversation, there was a universal 100% consensus that Wade was over hyped yet "But look at who they were playing in the Finals", and the 2-0 Finals choke job. I suspect there a great majority of American B-ball fans who concur.

There are no concerns and asterisks are for assholes. Dallas has done nothing.

Nice try Mav fan.

Nesterofish
04-27-2010, 01:18 PM
All 4 titles have asterisks:

1999* -- shortened season

The aging Spurs benefitted from not having to survive the long grind of an 82-game season. What in most years would have been a late regular-season peak turned into a playoff run. The distortion imposed on the season by the abbreviated schedule is readily shown by how the eighth-seeded Knicks won the East. The Spurs themselves distorted the game by exploiting all the loopholes in the defensive rules to turn what once was a fluid, beautiful, high-scoring sport into a bunch of 75-70 wrestling contests. The league had to change the rules just to keep the Spurs from killing the game.

While the 1999 season certainly shouldn't be swept from the record books, it always should be noted that the circumstances of the season were totally different from a normal season, and so the 1999 championship is different from all the others.

2003* -- Dirk Nowitzki and Chris Webber injured

The Sacramento Kings, at or near their peak, lost this season when Chris Webber blew his knee out in the playoffs. Then the Dallas Mavericks lost Dirk Nowitzki. The Spurs yet struggled to put the shorthanded Mavs away. It is very doubtful given what happened, and given how Nowitzki has given the Spurs fits since, that the Spurs could have prevailed with a healthy Dirk available.

2005* -- Joe Johnson injured

Joe Johnson was lost to an eye injury for Games 1 and 2, and was still limited upon his return. Nevertheless, the Suns still managed to take one game in San Antonio with him in the lineup, making it clear that it would have been an entirely different series with him at full strength. His career in Atlanta since then only underscores the difference he would have made.

2007* -- Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw suspended

This was one of the most ignominous episodes in NBA history, when the Spurs were rewarded for underhanded, dirty play on a technicality. The Suns clearly were going to win that series until two of their best players were suspended a game for coming off the bench after Robert Horry brazenly slammed Steve Nash into the scorer's table in frustration after losing Game 4. The Suns still nearly managed to take Game 5 but simply didn't have the legs to close it out shorthanded. Making it worse was that video after the fact showed that Tim Duncan himself had come of the bench earlier in Game 4 after a Spur fell to the floor, yet he was not suspended.

Once the Tim Donaghy scandal exploded, it was revealed that other Spurs playoff victories may have been fixed. Really, the NBA ought to just vacate the 2007 championship given all the questions surrounding its validity.

So really all four of the Spurs titles are tainted. What they are going to be remembered for is being a team which didn't really respect the NBA game, playing a boring style with no regard for entertainment, winning flukish championship through brutish thuggery during an time when there was no dominant team and all the true contenders suffered freakish bouts of bad luck. Their "reign" will simply be the proof that the middle of the aughts was a dark time in NBA history.

NRHector
04-27-2010, 01:26 PM

The aging Spurs benefitted from not having to survive the long grind of an 82-game season. What in most years would have been a late regular-season peak turned into a playoff run. The distortion imposed on the season by the abbreviated schedule is readily shown by how the eighth-seeded Knicks won the East. The Spurs themselves distorted the game by exploiting all the loopholes in the defensive rules to turn what once was a fluid, beautiful, high-scoring sport into a bunch of 75-70 wrestling contests. The league had to change the rules just to keep the Spurs from killing the game.

While the 1999 season certainly shouldn't be swept from the record books, it always should be noted that the circumstances of the season were totally different from a normal season, and so the 1999 championship is different from all the others.

The Sacramento Kings, at or near their peak, lost this season when Chris Webber blew his knee out in the playoffs. Then the Dallas Mavericks lost Dirk Nowitzki. The Spurs yet struggled to put the shorthanded Mavs away. It is very doubtful given what happened, and given how Nowitzki has given the Spurs fits since, that the Spurs could have prevailed with a healthy Dirk available.

Joe Johnson was lost to an eye injury for Games 1 and 2, and was still limited upon his return. Nevertheless, the Suns still managed to take one game in San Antonio with him in the lineup, making it clear that it would have been an entirely different series with him at full strength. His career in Atlanta since then only underscores the difference he would have made.

This was one of the most ignominous episodes in NBA history, when the Spurs were rewarded for underhanded, dirty play on a technicality. The Suns clearly were going to win that series until two of their best players were suspended a game for coming off the bench after Robert Horry brazenly slammed Steve Nash into the scorer's table in frustration after losing Game 4. The Suns still nearly managed to take Game 5 but simply didn't have the legs to close it out shorthanded. Making it worse was that video after the fact showed that Tim Duncan himself had come of the bench earlier in Game 4 after a Spur fell to the floor, yet he was not suspended.

Once the Tim Donaghy scandal exploded, it was revealed that other Spurs playoff victories may have been fixed. Really, the NBA ought to just vacate the 2007 championship given all the questions surrounding its validity.

So really all four of the Spurs titles are tainted. What they are going to be remembered for is being a team which didn't really respect the NBA game, playing a boring style with no regard for entertainment, winning flukish championship through brutish thuggery during an time when there was no dominant team and all the true contenders suffered freakish bouts of bad luck. Their "reign" will simply be the proof that the middle of the aughts was a dark time in NBA history. :lmao all this is really funny

clambake
04-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Clam, Simply acknowledging that other posters know what you're referring to isn't enough to make your point,

actually, it is. it's been declared ad nauseam.

chichi!gettheyeyo
04-27-2010, 01:47 PM
actually, it is. it's been declared ad nauseam.

You wanna waste my time? Okay. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Spurstalk. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you gonna be posting in Dallas-Mavs.com (http://www.dallas-mavs.com/)

Juanobili
04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
didn't know Joe Johnson was Michael Jordan LMAO

Crazymaddopeyo
04-27-2010, 02:10 PM

Awe, I see what's going on here, you're so sad that the mavs suck so bad and are losing, that you have to find something to get under the skin of spurs fans? So cute that you are butt hurt that much.

So hmm lets see, with these 2 "asterisks" that you claim exist the Spurs still have 2 championships over the Mavs? That's pretty impressive.

Strike
04-27-2010, 06:57 PM

Call it what you want, but EVERY team played a 50 game regular season. Not only that, but those 50 games were compacted in to a shorter span than what would have been in 50 games during a full 82 game season. Teams were playing more back to backs and had fewer days off between games. By your rationale, younger, fresher, more athletic teams should have benefited as well as older teams by playing fewer games. So don't try to insinuate that the Spurs had it easier or better than any other team. San Antonio peaked at the right time, other teams didn't.

In 2000, Tim Duncan was injured, costing them a deep playoff run. San Antonio was poised to repeat that year, only to be eliminated in the first round by Phoenix. In 2002, Derek Anderson was injured in the Dallas series thanks to being undercut by then Maverick Juwan Howard. Anderson missed half the Dallas series and all but one game in the Conference Finals versus the Lakers. Whether or not the Spurs would have repeated in 2000 with a healthy Duncan or beaten LA in 2002 with a healthy Anderson will never be known. But there has never been talk of putting asterisks on LA's championships in those 2 years.

Injuries are part of the game, the season and the playoffs. If you're lucky enough to have the health of your players during the playoffs, you take advantage. You also don't hesitate to exploit a team missing key players to injuries. Fair or not, that's reality.

In 2006, Duncan was hobbled with plantar fasciitis. Anyone who watched Duncan and the Spurs that year knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it prevented him from playing his best. Once again, injuries happen and you try to make the best of it.

For whatever reason, Stoudemire and Diaw were suspended, Duncan was not. I really hope you don't think the league thought it would benefit by San Antonio and their "boring", ratings killing basketball instead of Phoenix versus Cleveland. To even try to insinuate that would just be retarded.

As far as Donaghy is concerned, do you not remember the WCF in 2002? Kings v. Lakers? Once again, does LA deserve an asterisk for that title?

So really all four of the Spurs titles are tainted. What they are going to be remembered for is being a team which didn't really respect the NBA game, playing a boring style with no regard for entertainment, winning flukish championship through brutish thuggery during an time when there was no dominant team and all the true contenders suffered freakish bouts of bad luck. Their "reign" will simply be the proof that the middle of the aughts was a dark time in NBA history.

In every playoff run, every playoff run, there are injuries, questionable officiating, and/or decisions made by the league with which some disagree or do not understand. Based on your argument, EVERY championship team should have the dreaded asterisk next to their result.

What I'm detecting, if you really are a grizzlies fan and not a troll (I'm going with the latter but I'll play along) is bitterness aimed at San Antonio for sweeping Memphis twice in the playoffs. :cry

Nice try, though.

m33p0
04-27-2010, 07:09 PM
let US worry about our asterisks, just worry about yo-.... right. you have none.

Sisk
04-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Insignificant

:flag:

DesignatedT
04-27-2010, 07:14 PM
:flag:

:splitter

TIMMYD!
04-27-2010, 07:52 PM

:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep

clambake
05-06-2010, 12:08 AM
revenge of the asterisks!!!!!!