PDA

View Full Version : The Final frontier: 'Star Wars Trilogy' on DVD

Pooh
08-18-2004, 06:08 AM
Tue Aug 17,10:02 AM ET

By Mike Snider, USA TODAY

Fans and retailers alike are preparing for the assault of the most anticipated DVD of them all: the Star Wars Trilogy.

Fox plans to ship millions of the four-disc collection ($70) to retailers, many of which have special promotions rewarding those who preorder the DVDs before the release Sept. 21.

Despite high interest, Star Wars is a dark horse to be the year's top seller. This summer's box office smashes Shrek 2 and Spider-Man 2 are due on DVD by year's end. Another possible top seller, The Passion of the Christ, is due Aug. 31.

In addition to the three films in George Lucas' original trilogy, the box set has a documentary about the films.

Despite the force behind Star Wars, its price probably will prevent it from taking the year's top-selling spot.

"We have three movies at a higher price point than a single movie. That counts you out automatically," Lucasfilm's Jim Ward says.

But staying power eventually could gain it a spot among overall best sellers. Overall, Star Wars films have sold more than 120 million copies worldwide. "Fans and collectors alike will want to replace their VHS (versions) with the DVD version," says Judith McCourt, market research director for Video Store magazine.

Britt Dietz, 21, of Santa Ana, Calif., says, "Since Star Wars, Episode 1: The Phantom Menace and Episode 2: Attack of the Clones have come out on DVD, all of us have been drooling over the prospect of the original trilogy."

Among the 70 or so members of the Orange County (Calif.) Star Wars Society, many have preordered the DVD. "We are planning a viewing party at one of our member's houses who has the largest big-screen TV to enjoy the new high quality," he says.

Feeding Star Wars mania:

The bargains. Fans won't have to search the galaxy for a deal. Amazon.com is selling it for $41.99, a 40% discount. It's been a top seller there since presales began in April. Barnes & Noble and Fye stores' preorder price is $50.

The booty. At Bestbuy.com, those who preorder get a Beneath the Dome "mockumentary" DVD about R2-D2. Musicland customers get a collectible lithograph when they reserve the DVD. Hastings plans to give prizes to costumed fans and a numbered lithograph to the first 7,500 customers at its 150 stores' midnight sales events.

The controversy. The versions of Lucas' beloved films that are on these new DVDs are not the original theatrical releases but the special editions that played in theaters in 1997. Rumor have circulated about additional changes, but Ward would not deny or confirm them. "We want to encourage our fans to check them out themselves."

Alamo Spurs Fan
08-18-2004, 10:58 AM
It's about damn time.

Johnny Blaze 47
08-18-2004, 11:11 AM
It better not be those SE editions. I want real. I want it all. Now, Lucas!

And no more of those shitty prequels, either.

Alamo Spurs Fan
08-18-2004, 11:42 AM
The controversy. The versions of Lucas' beloved films that are on these new DVDs are not the original theatrical releases but the special editions that played in theaters in 1997. Rumor have circulated about additional changes, but Ward would not deny or confirm them. "We want to encourage our fans to check them out themselves."

Sorry, JB...

Johnny Blaze 47
08-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Thought I read they were believed in that statement. That's why it was my response.

It's still early.

Spurminator
08-18-2004, 11:47 AM
I would think they'd include both editions on each DVD, like E.T. did.

DuffMcCartney
08-18-2004, 12:43 PM
A fourth disc? What's that about?

Johnny Blaze 47
08-18-2004, 12:59 PM
In addition to the three films in George Lucas' original trilogy, the box set has a documentary about the films.

Pooh
08-18-2004, 01:48 PM
I agree with those who think it should be the original film that we all saw at the movies and later on video, not the special edition that was later released. But hey...it's his movies he can do what he wants.

Of the three movies, the one I feel that he will tinker with the most is the original. If you check out the special effects from the first movie (Star Wars) to Empire Strikes Back, there was quite a difference, so I think he''ll probably alter that one dramatically.

Of course they just officially named the third and final instalment of the series entitled "Return of the Sith"

SAmikeyp
08-18-2004, 02:10 PM
actually its "Revenge of the Sith"

Pooh
08-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Eh close enough huh? :) We all know he becomes Darth Vader at the end.

E20
08-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Ugh I never liked Kirk and Spock. Sometimes I'd see them on SciFi, but too boring for me. I perfer Next Generation. Number 1 I order you to take a number 2.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2004, 04:44 PM
i already have the se on dvd, transfered over from laserdisc. great quality and 5.1 sound. wooooo. i'll wait untill they have the complete set on dvd.

DuffMcCartney
08-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Ugh I never liked Kirk and Spock. Sometimes I'd see them on SciFi, but too boring for me. I perfer Next Generation. Number 1 I order you to take a number 2.

Was that sarcasm? Cause you got the wrong movies.

E20
08-18-2004, 05:33 PM
OMG... I just mistook this for Star trek. LMAO my bad

Pooh
08-18-2004, 08:15 PM
After thinking about it some more, I would think that Lucas will alter "Star Wars" because for one, there is no mention of Yoda in that one, where he is present in the first three and the last two installments. Just has he included Jabba the Hut for the SE (Only cause originally, Lucas filmed a spot where Han Solo talks to Jabba, who was human until Jedi) I'm sure he'll do something to put in Yoda.

Even Chewbacca is included in this third installment.

timvp
08-18-2004, 08:20 PM
http://216.131.88.117/scholarly/stlosers.jpg

Shelly
08-18-2004, 08:22 PM
:lol Even the dog is dressed up!

That's animal cruelty!

Useruser666
08-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Set phasers on dumb!

Useruser666 :eyebrow

SAmikeyp
08-20-2004, 07:32 PM
The dog has that "kill me now" look! :dog

CavsSuperFan
08-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Star Trek Sooo Rules...

Find out if a Star Trek convention is coming to your town...

http://www.firsttvdrama.com/central/dead/kirk1.jpg

click here...
www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TOS/index.html (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TOS/index.html)

Useruser666
08-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Did anyone else notice there are TWO dogs in the picture?

Useruser666 :eyebrow