PDA

View Full Version : Pop sure is a stubborn SOB

underdawg
04-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Please explain his genius tonight - what has bonner done to earn time? Mason was a logical choice after Manu was in foul trouble, but why keep him in - are you really hoping these two tools will get their game back? How about they have no playoff game - they belong on the Mavs (reg season players)

underdawg
04-27-2010, 10:38 PM
and you non-believers in Ian - suck it; he's the only player out there doing anything right now

DesignatedT
04-27-2010, 10:46 PM
oh please. we didnt have a shot at this game from the tip-off.

Bartleby
04-27-2010, 10:51 PM
My best guess is that Pop figured the Mavs would come out with much more energy and had a better chance of winning this game than they would against a rested Spurs team at home.

He hedged his bets by playing the scrubs, maybe hoping they would keep the Spurs in it enough for the starters to close out the game for a win.

I just hope the gamble pays off in the long run.

DesignatedT
04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
My best guess is that Pop figured the Mavs would come out with much more energy and had a better chance of winning this game than they would against a rested Spurs team at home.

He hedged his bets by playing the scrubs, maybe hoping they would keep the Spurs in it enough for the Spurs starters to close out the game for a win.

I just hope the gamble pays off.

From the way Duncan and Manu looked out there we wouldnt have had a chance even if they played 40 minutes both.

We didn't have a chance from the start. It's not surprising. The mavs are facing elimination at home and about to get bounced in 5 games to a 7 seed? yeah okay.....

underdawg
04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
oh please. we didnt have a shot at this game from the tip-off.

you're right, we should always feel free to get Bonner involved when the tip-off just doesn't feel right. no point in arguing - he had too many minutes period. we don't need to do that anymore in the playoffs period.

DesignatedT
04-27-2010, 10:54 PM
you're right, we should always feel free to get Bonner involved when the tip-off just doesn't feel right. no point in arguing - he had too many minutes period. we don't need to do that anymore in the playoffs period.

More like the way Duncan and Manu came out and played like complete garbage and soft. Thats when you know we are done. especially when butler is going for 40

EricB
04-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Ian mahinmi has looked pretty mediocre. What's your point.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 10:59 PM
More like the way Duncan and Manu came out and played like complete garbage and soft. Thats when you know we are done. especially when butler is going for 40

sorry, but don't give Pop a pass on this game. He stayed with Bonner and Mason too long. The fact that these guys still get significant playing time is puzzling. Look at mason - he's struggling against scrubbs and Bonner would be as well if he was out there. If we're getting the crap kicked out of us (like tonight), fine play them, but don't ever, ever give them significant minutes ever again. I repeat - they are not playoff players.

tim_duncan_fan
04-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Fuck Pop, guys. Seriously. I wish we had Phil Jackson coaching. The Big Three and The Triangle go together in every way, names and all.

coyotes_geek
:lol @ trying to blame this game on Bonner and Mason getting minutes.

superjames1992
Please explain his genius tonight - what has bonner done to earn time?

Um ... who else would you like to throw in there in place of him? We have no other options outside of playing small-ball.

And don't pin the blame on Bonner and Mason. Almost no one played well tonight. And Manu and Timmy sucked hard. That's why the Spurs lost, not because of two bench players.

NewJerSpur
04-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Pop milked the lesser of his lineups longer than he did in Game 1 and left Blair out to dry (especially given his aggressive style of play....you know he's not going to take a play off or shy away from contact). On those counts he deserves to take heat. His coaching was just as much to blame as the lack of effort from everyone on the team outside of Tony and George and the Mavs strong showing.

DesignatedT
04-27-2010, 11:02 PM
we just werent going to beat them tonight. they were on a mission. it just wasn't going to happen. especially when we started laying down and letting them be physical and aggressive against us. Pop saw this. I saw this. It wasnt going to happen.

EricB
04-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Ah so pops coaching caused them to not show up. Got it.

superjames1992
04-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Pop milked the lesser of his lineups longer than he did in Game 1 and left Blair out to dry (especially given his aggressive style of play....you know he's not going to take a play off or shy away from contact). On those counts he deserves to take heat. His coaching was just as much to blame as the lack of effort from everyone on the team outside of Tony and George and the Mavs strong showing.

Blair had four fouls by the 8-minute mark of the second quarter. He couldn't play anymore. It's Blair's fault that he didn't get a lot of playing time.

EricB
04-27-2010, 11:04 PM
we just werent going to beat them tonight. they were on a mission. it just wasn't going to happen. especially when we started laying down and letting them be physical and aggressive against us. Pop saw this. I saw this. It wasnt going to happen.

Perfect game. Slaps em in the face gets their attention and gives pop a reason to chew their ass in practice tommorow

NewJerSpur
04-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Blair had four fouls by the 8-minute mark of the second quarter. He couldn't play anymore. It's Blair's fault that he didn't get a lot of playing time.

Pop didn't yank him after the 3rd (which was a shooting foul IIRC) when he had the opportunity. Could've used his energy in the 3rd.

Juanobili
04-27-2010, 11:05 PM
I knew we were losing the second Manu got his second foul

wasnt our night.... at all...

coyotes_geek
04-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Pop didn't yank him after the 3rd (which was a shooting foul IIRC) when he had the opportunity. Could've used his energy in the 3rd.

Please. Four minutes into the 3rd it was a 20 point game, with Duncan and Dyess playing. What was Blair's energy going to do for us?

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Um ... who else would you like to throw in there in place of him? We have no other options outside of playing small-ball.

And don't pin the blame on Bonner and Mason. Almost no one played well tonight. And Manu and Timmy sucked hard. That's why the Spurs lost, not because of two bench players.

didn't say it was their fault - McDyess got 13+ minutes and Boner got 22+. That's not helpful especially when you're trying to close out an opponent. Antonio - had one foul.

superjames1992
04-27-2010, 11:10 PM
didn't say it was their fault - McDyess got 13+ minutes and Boner got 22+. That's not helpful especially when you're trying to close out an opponent. Antonio - had one foul.

Bonner got a lot of minutes during the blowout in the fourth quarter while McDyess was resting because there was no point in tiring him for the next game. That's the pure reason for the disparity.

If this game was close, I guarantee that Dice would have gotten more minutes.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Ian mahinmi has looked pretty mediocre. What's your point.

what are you talking about cartman - he was pretty stellar compared to the poor effort by most especially the insignificant Boner.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Bonner got a lot of minutes during the blowout in the fourth quarter while McDyess was resting because there was no point in tiring him for the next game. That's the pure reason for the disparity.

If this game was close, I guarantee that Dice would have gotten more minutes.

could be wrong, but I thought boner was pulled kind of early in the 4th

EricB
04-27-2010, 11:13 PM
what are you talking about cartman - he was pretty stellar compared to the poor effort by most especially the insignificant Boner.

He sucked. He sucks. Get over it and move on...

Budkin
Perfect game. Slaps em in the face gets their attention and gives pop a reason to chew their ass in practice tommorow

Exactly.

coyotes_geek

Mahinmi looked great when Eduardo Najera was the tallest guy the mavs had on the court.

DPG21920
04-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Pop coached a terrible game. But when you have a team like the Spurs, you have to resort to gimmicks in order to win series sometimes. Lets see how it works out.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:14 PM

wrong! - gives Dallas momentum and big 3 looked pretty tired out there tonight. Stop believing in strategy - Spurs are extremely fortunate to be up 3-2. If the lose game 6, series is over - Dallas wins dumbass.

NewJerSpur
04-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Please. Four minutes into the 3rd it was a 20 point game, with Duncan and Dyess playing. What was Blair's energy going to do for us?

Blair's energy (and Dice's) got us going in the 3rd quarter of Game 4, which is what we seemed to be lacking from the onstart of this game.

I'm not denying the starters didn't play well, or much of the team for that matter, but we might have been able to use more of the core lineup when Dallas went small and just hoped they established more of a rhythm.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Mahinmi looked great when Eduardo Najera was the tallest guy the mavs had on the court.

looked kind of good earlier against Haywood too - nice try, keep believing that he sucks and boner is a good player that spreads the defense. problem is that boner often spreads his legs on defense.

coyotes_geek
04-27-2010, 11:19 PM
looked kind of good earlier against Haywood too - nice try, keep believing that he sucks and boner is a good player that spreads the defense. problem is that boner often spreads his legs on defense.

Mahinmi sucks. Bonner sucks too, but not as bad as Ian does.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Mahinmi sucks. Bonner sucks too, but not as bad as Ian does.

nope - he doesn't; try again

honestfool84
04-27-2010, 11:21 PM
at least i'll will all my vbookie money since i called the Spurs in 6.

:D

TampaDude
04-27-2010, 11:22 PM
at least i'll will all my vbookie money since i called the Spurs in 6.

:D

+1 :toast

coyotes_geek
04-27-2010, 11:23 PM
nope - he doesn't; try again

Wake me up when Mahinmi plays a productive, meaningful playoff minute against someone.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Wake me up when Mahinmi plays a productive, meaningful playoff minute against someone.

are you saying he didn't tonight? next time, watch the game before you make a dumbass comment like that

DesignatedT
04-27-2010, 11:24 PM
wrong! - gives Dallas momentum and big 3 looked pretty tired out there tonight. Stop believing in strategy - Spurs are extremely fortunate to be up 3-2. If the lose game 6, series is over - Dallas wins dumbass.

lmao. your probably one of the ones saying the spurs had no chance in the beginning of the playoffs anyway. You really thought the spurs were going to go up to Dallas and knock off the 2 seed in there arena in 5 games? come on man... what the fuck did you expect tonight? and how you think pop lost the game is totally moronic. Everyone knew this shit was going to game 6 even if they didn't want to admit it.

pjjrfan
04-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Manu looked tired or hurt, when he turns it over like that something's usually wrong with him, I just hope he is worn out but his game has been declining since the end of the season, and Tim's in the last 2. Tony seems to be coming on, but still all three of them made some boneheaded plays. what can Pop do? These are your horses, the ones that got you this far, sit them down and let them stew, maybe they will come out with more energy next time. Anyway, this team reminds me of the 03 team in so many ways, including lackluster games like these. I hope the similiarity extends to the finals.

HankChinaski
04-27-2010, 11:30 PM

two of those early fouls came from a collapse of defense rotation from other players and him not giving dallas an easy bucket near the glass. Which is the right play on his part. Nothing to be done by that but yell at your other man for screwing up his assignment.

NewJerSpur
04-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Overall I don't think this loss was any worse than losing Game 6 in the 2005 Finals...that was a shocker and one I would actually consider a momentum changer.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
lmao. your probably one of the ones saying the spurs had no chance in the beginning of the playoffs anyway. You really thought the spurs were going to go up to Dallas and knock off the 2 seed in there arena in 5 games? come on man... what the fuck did you expect tonight? and how you think pop lost the game is totally moronic. Everyone knew this shit was going to game 6 even if they didn't want to admit it.

wow - I expect the Spurs to take advantage of a situation like they usually do - 7 and 1 in games where they're up 3-1. No, I didn't expect them to be up 3-1 and if any of you dumbasses say you did, you're straight up liars. Why I do know that's so? Because the Spurs have played like crap all season long and even though they've started to play well at the end, they're far from being consistent. Mavs are a pretty good team that's trying to gel themselves and if you give them an opportunity, they just might - that's why you play game 5 like it's game 7 and you don't roll boner out there in the first qtr ever, ever again.

Aggie Hoopsfan
This was the classic Spurs up 3-1 or 2-0 mailin performance, from the coach to the last guy at the end of the bench.

HankChinaski

Whats with the level of aggression to people here. no need to be a jerk because you're upset about the game.

coyotes_geek
04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
are you saying he didn't tonight? next time, watch the game before you make a dumbass comment like that

Thank you, but I did watch the game. I said meaningful minutes. Garbage time doesn't count. And all his minutes were definitely garbage time.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Whats with the level of aggression to people here. no need to be a jerk because you're upset about the game.

no agression towards people - just cartman. He's a fat little non-basketball playing nope-it-all that has a deep manlove for boner. makes watching boner fail in the playoffs even more frustrating because I keep hearing the excuse - "boner spreads the defense for timmy!"

DesignatedT
04-27-2010, 11:38 PM
wow - I expect the Spurs to take advantage of a situation like they usually do - 7 and 1 in games where they're up 3-1. No, I didn't expect them to be up 3-1 and if any of you dumbasses say you did, you're straight up liars. Why I do know that's so? Because the Spurs have played like crap all season long and even though they've started to play well at the end, they're far from being consistent. Mavs are a pretty good team that's trying to gel themselves and if you give them an opportunity, they just might - that's why you play game 5 like it's game 7 and you don't roll boner out there in the first qtr ever, ever again.

ill give you that pop didnt coach the game like it was a game 7.... but it's not like our players played like it either. our guys pretty much gave them this game before the game even started. what good would it have done if we played duncan manu and tony 40+ minutes and still got beat.... because thats exactly what would have happened if we went down that road. Our guys were not ready to play... thats just how it was going to be tonight. The mavs were facing elimination at home and were not going to be eliminated at home in 5 games against a 7 seed. IMO im glad duncan and manu got less than 22 minutes of court time so we can see them fresh in game 6.

You knew this was going to happen. We all did... you need to stop acting like you're surprised.

stop pointing fingers....

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Thank you, but I did watch the game. I said meaningful minutes. Garbage time doesn't count.

proves my point - he actually made it in before garbage time. go look it up sonny boy and you'll see I'm right

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:41 PM
ill give you that pop didnt coach the game like it was a game 7.... but it's not like our players played like it either. our guys pretty much gave them this game before the game even started. what good would it have done if we played duncan manu and tony 40+ minutes and still got beat.... because thats exactly what would have happened if we went down that road. Our guys were not ready to play... thats just how it was going to be tonight. The mavs were facing elimination at home and were not going to be eliminated at home in 5 games against a 7 seed. IMO im glad duncan and manu got less than 22 minutes of court time so we can see them fresh in game 6.

You knew this was going to happen. We all did... you need to stop acting like you're surprised.

so, you're not surprised the "big 3" have thrown 2 back to back sub-par games together? Sorry - but that's not good no matter how you try to spin it.

HankChinaski
04-27-2010, 11:41 PM
The spurs didn't look disappointed much with not getting the W here tonight. I do agree with the earlier poster about the ol' spurs 3-1, 2-0 series leads and coach to bench laying the egg mentality.

That isn't going down at Home. I'll tell you that much.

coyotes_geek
04-27-2010, 11:42 PM
proves my point - he actually made it in before garbage time. go look it up sonny boy and you'll see I'm right

6:18 3rd quarter. Spurs already down 17, Duncan and Manu, done for the night. That's garbage time.

TampaDude
04-27-2010, 11:44 PM

^ this

Man In Black
04-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Spurs played like shit early, got an infusion of speed from Tony who worked Dallas for some quick points and then when it seemed like the Spurs would push to make it a game...they didn't play with the appropriate fear response needed to sustain the push.
If they're not going to do that, than why should Pop play the guys who aren't?
2nd team played both good & bad, but really...the Spurs aren't a team that's built to win using their 2nd team as a primary weapon. The Spurs need balance and in game 5, they were off-balance.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:45 PM
6:18 3rd quarter. Spurs already down 17, Duncan and Manu, done for the night. That's garbage time.

apparently, parker and hill are garbage because they finished the quarter out. nice try - go back to spurs report son

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Seriously, we're like $20 million over the cap. You think Holt didn't want another home game?

Man In Black
04-27-2010, 11:50 PM
apparently, parker and hill are garbage because they finished the quarter out. nice try - go back to spurs report son
No...on that it's a 2-fold response. 1-It's extended fitness practice for TP & Hill. 2-Pop's going to use Temple but he's only letting him run in just 1 quarter of play.

Okay, The Spurs aren't the Clippers, but having said that, it's not uncommon for a pro coach to give starters some run in a blowout just to give them court time.

The bigger question should be asked of Dallas. When Pop put in the rest of the bench, why leave Nowitzki & Butler out there even though?

Answer: It's so Dallas of Dallas. A punk move that will probably bite them in the ass. They will see the Spurs' best on Thursday. There will be hell to pay!

SpursTillTheEnd
04-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Bogans was the only player stoping jj barea, now if only bogans didint suck ass on offense

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:56 PM
^ this

wow - y'all keep acting like this was all strategy and we've got it in the bag. Sorry - I'm a Spurs fan just like the rest of ya, but I know that our big 3 isn't playing like they have in the past. Manu has been carrying this team for quite a while and like I thought, he's getting worn down. Timmy's show some real signs of wear this year and Tony's not up to speed yet - he's playing better each game, but he's no where near the level he needs to be to run this team like he did in the past. Y'all keep acting like it's 2005, but in reality, it's 2010 and we have just a few significant role players (hill, mcdyess, blair and jefferson.) Solution - don't roll out boner, mason or bogans any more - rely on your core players only. If you're going to be that desperate, please use temple, mahinmi or hairston or just give it up period.

SenorSpur
04-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Pop has brass balls and coaching credibility. Other than Phil Jackson or Pat Riley, how many coaches could get away with pulling the plug on a playoff game that early? It was an interesting decision, yet the right thing to do.

underdawg
04-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Seriously, we're like $20 million over the cap. You think Holt didn't want another home game?

Holt seems to be a smart man - moving on to the next round sure has a better advantage to one more game

elbamba
04-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Spurs looked to lose this game. There was no effort on the boards, the defense was terrible and the turnovers killed us.

You can't hand games away like this. The Spurs essentially took a pitch right down the middle with the bases loaded and a 3-1 lead.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-27-2010, 11:59 PM
i dont really understand the name calling on pop - i'm looking forward to read your comments in 2 days time.

DesignatedT
04-28-2010, 12:02 AM
wow - y'all keep acting like this was all strategy and we've got it in the bag. Sorry - I'm a Spurs fan just like the rest of ya, but I know that our big 3 isn't playing like they have in the past. Manu has been carrying this team for quite a while and like I thought, he's getting worn down. Timmy's show some real signs of wear this year and Tony's not up to speed yet - he's playing better each game, but he's no where near the level he needs to be to run this team like he did in the past. Y'all keep acting like it's 2005, but in reality, it's 2010 and we have just a few significant role players (hill, mcdyess, blair and jefferson.) Solution - don't roll out boner, mason or bogans any more - rely on your core players only. If you're going to be that desperate, please use temple, mahinmi or hairston or just give it up period.

Strategy? I never said this was strategy.... I have no doubt that they played the game to win it but at the same time can see where the game is headed. Our guys just weren't up to speed and that was to be expected in this game...What Pop did was still gave us a positive out of tonight game... Duncan and Manu both getting less than 22 minutes which is good news considering the way they've looked(just like you said)...

and you continue to contradict yourself... Complaining about Manu and Tim slowing down because of fatigue and then preach how we can't play bonner,mason or bogans anymore and need to give all the minutes to Manu,Dice, and Tim ( the same guys you say are running out of gas)

underdawg
04-28-2010, 12:12 AM
i dont really understand the name calling on pop - i'm looking forward to read your comments in 2 days time.

don't need to wait - Pop's done a poor job of coaching this whole year. He's tinkered with rotations too much and even when faced with the reality that his "veteran" role players (bogans, mason, finley and boner) have nothing to offer in terms of being useful towards being competitive, he stubbornly continues to try and force their aged skill upon younger more talented competition. The result is typically a more challenging role for his already aged "big 3" in terms of giving all of their last efforts towards keeping this team competitive. Fortunately, the Spurs front office guessed well with George Hill and Dejuan Blair. Pop didn't want to use Hill last year in the playoffs against Dallas even when getting outmatched, but fortunately Hill was thrusted into the playoffs due to desperation and he actually didn't do too bad. It's also surprising to see as much of Blair in this year's playoffs too - didn't expect him to be "playoff ready" either. For all you Pop homers - imagine if Finley had not asked to be traded.

underdawg
04-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Strategy? I never said this was strategy.... I have no doubt that they played the game to win it but at the same time can see where the game is headed. Our guys just weren't up to speed and that was to be expected in this game...What Pop did was still gave us a positive out of tonight game... Duncan and Manu both getting less than 22 minutes which is good news considering the way they've looked(just like you said)...

and you continue to contradict yourself... Complaining about Manu and Tim slowing down because of fatigue and then preach how we can't play bonner,mason or bogans anymore and need to give all the minutes to Manu,Dice, and Tim ( the same guys you say are running out of gas)

not complaining about their time - pointing out that it (time) is so valuable that you can't waste opportunities like this

DesignatedT
04-28-2010, 12:19 AM
For all you Pop homers - imagine if Finley had not asked to be traded.

Would definitely take finley over mason at this point. over bogans as well.

underdawg
04-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Would definitely take finley over mason at this point. over bogans as well.

thank you for proving my point (see below)

Apr 27 vs. MIA1 W 96 - 86 5 0 - 0 0 - 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Apr 25 @ MIA1 L 92 - 101 14 2 - 5 1 - 3 2 - 2 0 2 2 0 2 0 0 1 7
Apr 23 @ MIA1 W 100 - 98 4 0 - 0 0 - 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

Honestly, as a Spurs fan, I believe that we will actually win game 6 - only because of one person - MANU. If you really think otherwise, I only pity you because you believe in some other myth about the Spurs that I can't blame you for believing in - love timmy and tony, but this is Manu's team

Man In Black
04-28-2010, 12:36 AM
don't need to wait - Pop's done a poor job of coaching this whole year.

Yet, they are still in the playoffs, and even with tonight's loss, they aren't perceived as the underdog in this series.

He's tinkered with rotations too much and even when faced with the reality that his "veteran" role players (bogans, mason, finley and boner) have nothing to offer in terms of being useful towards being competitive, he stubbornly continues to try and force their aged skill upon younger more talented competition.
I don't get why you think that the copious injuries and brand new players don't warrant rotation tests. Maybe early on, especially during the rash of injuries, but in the last month, we've seen less of those players you named above. Agree or disagree?

The result is typically a more challenging role for his already aged "big 3" in terms of giving all of their last efforts towards keeping this team competitive.
It's not typically. They were blowing out teams like Cleveland & Orlando & LAL. They are called the Big 3 for a reason and even though they're older, they still have serious skills. They aren't entitled to a pass because as the elder statesmen on this team, they know that if they perform well, they will have a better chance at winning, plus if they lift the other players on their team, that's win-win.

Fortunately, the Spurs front office guessed well with George Hill and Dejuan Blair.
It's not a guess when you're picking so late in the draft. It's not their fault that there are so many other GM's who fail to see the diamond in a rough. Hell DeJuan was easy lottery based on his performances. All those other teams were afraid of his medical condition, whereas the Spurs were not. I don't see where it infers that they guessed. I'm curious to see you back up why you think that.

Pop didn't want to use Hill last year in the playoffs against Dallas even when getting outmatched, but fortunately Hill was thrusted into the playoffs due to desperation and he actually didn't do too bad.
He actually didn't too good either. Wouldn't you agree that he's playing better this year because of the work he put in?

It's also surprising to see as much of Blair in this year's playoffs too - didn't expect him to be "playoff ready" either.
He's playoff ready...as a player off the bench, as a 1st or 2nd big depending upon matchups. Since you've already explained that the Big 3 is "aged" then that means you can't run Tim for 48 straight. It's not going to happen. Per Minute stats indicated that prior to tonight's game. Blair's Per Minute Stats had him #7. That indicates that he is ready, even if it's for limited minutes, even though he makes some mistakes. He makes positive contributions as well, if you're saying that he doesn't... then how did he get to #7?

For all you Pop homers - imagine if Finley had not asked to be traded. HE would be riding the pine or switching with Mason as the forth or fifth guard off the bench. Reality! Pop asked Finley to ride the pine, why do you think he wanted to leave. Sometimes...even if you don't know it, it's time for a player to go. Ask Boston if they're happy with the role that Finley has. 8.8 Minutes a game. Good for 2.5 Points. Yeah...he's still got it. Hell of a guy, not so much as a player.

LakerHater
04-28-2010, 12:36 AM
http://memegenerator.net/popovich/ImageMacro/969952/popovich-spurs-i-am-dissapoint.jpg

DesignatedT
04-28-2010, 12:37 AM
thank you for proving my point (see below)

Apr 27 vs. MIA1 W 96 - 86 5 0 - 0 0 - 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Apr 25 @ MIA1 L 92 - 101 14 2 - 5 1 - 3 2 - 2 0 2 2 0 2 0 0 1 7
Apr 23 @ MIA1 W 100 - 98 4 0 - 0 0 - 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

Honestly, as a Spurs fan, I believe that we will actually win game 6 - only because of one person - MANU. If you really think otherwise, I only pity you because you believe in some other myth about the Spurs that I can't blame you for believing in - love timmy and tony, but this is Manu's team

did you just give me finley's stats in an attempt to prove that mason and bogans are better than him? LOL

like mason and bogans have been any better? It's a non-factor

and were going to need all the big 3 to play a good game on thurs. Manu is definitely going to have to play better than that god awful performance tonight.

ducks
04-28-2010, 12:38 AM
spurs wanted another home game
rebounding was not a problem before tonight
butler was not afactor before tonight

how many millions did holt make with the loss tonight? 5-10?
spurs win thursday series over next round

YoMamaIsCallin
04-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Oh come on. Popovich is not playing. He can't make them play with energy, attention, and enthusiasm.

I think Pop did the right thing by basically throwing in the towel before the end of the 3rd. After the starters laid down at the start of the 2nd half, it was basically over anyway. At least this way the Mavs didn't get the chance to beat up on our first unit any more, and they got to sit on the bench and feel bad about it.

Dr Cox
04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
to op

ok ...dude ..spurs are up three to one... it is extremly difficult to close a team out on there home court...esp a team as talented as dallas (lets be honest they have talent)

human instict sets in for veterens and as much as we might not want to hear it professional players feel like they have a better chance next game at home so they dont play as hard.

and dont question pop..that is stupid..he knew they would have a tough time winning this game and when he saw the first half he knew what he was doing

why would you question a guy who has 4 rings? he has them for a reason...he is a good coach

SpurCharger
04-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Game 5 was Not pops Fault..... The players came out and Played like shit...... game 5 loss is on the players.... all pop did was try and send a message to the players.... and normally pops messages get through.... so im sure we will see a way better game in game 6

peskypesky
04-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Please explain his genius tonight - what has bonner done to earn time? Mason was a logical choice after Manu was in foul trouble, but why keep him in - are you really hoping these two tools will get their game back?

Pop was resting his real players for the series-clinching game 6.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
don't need to wait - Pop's done a poor job of coaching this whole year. He's tinkered with rotations too much and even when faced with the reality that his "veteran" role players (bogans, mason, finley and boner) have nothing to offer in terms of being useful towards being competitive, he stubbornly continues to try and force their aged skill upon younger more talented competition. The result is typically a more challenging role for his already aged "big 3" in terms of giving all of their last efforts towards keeping this team competitive. Fortunately, the Spurs front office guessed well with George Hill and Dejuan Blair. Pop didn't want to use Hill last year in the playoffs against Dallas even when getting outmatched, but fortunately Hill was thrusted into the playoffs due to desperation and he actually didn't do too bad. It's also surprising to see as much of Blair in this year's playoffs too - didn't expect him to be "playoff ready" either. For all you Pop homers - imagine if Finley had not asked to be traded.

Not going to comment on everything you said - it's a waste of time, you need to calm down. As I said, I'm looking forward to seeing your comments in 2 days time.

The only thing I'd like to mention is that I'm not a particular Pop homer or anything like that. I just called you out on the name calling, I don't think it is warranted. Thanks.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Here. Go and tell Pop all you want to say now. I'm really looking forward to your comments tonight...

Brazil
04-29-2010, 10:52 PM
He coached a good game tonight. I thought that throwing Bogans at Dirk was a good move, Bogans did a respectful job and enabled Dice to finish the game and Dice has been important at the end.

Spurminator
04-29-2010, 10:53 PM
The end does not justify the means. I'm not sure there's a lot you can credit Pop with for tonight's win.

Manu said they didn't come out in the third quarter with the right mindset. How does that happen?

DAF86
04-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Putting Bogans on the game is never the right decision.

MannyIsGod
04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah, Bogans playing at all was horrible. They played through it and won inspite of it - not because of it.

Pop had his moments in this series but tonight wasn't one of his better games, imo.

Brazil
04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Putting Bogans on the game is never the right decision.

With Dice in fouls trouble I thought it was a right decision tonight at least

DAF86
04-29-2010, 10:57 PM
With Dice in fouls trouble I thought it was a right decision tonight at least

I would have tried with Blair alongside Duncan.

Manufan909
04-29-2010, 11:15 PM

Indeed. He had only one foul, but from the looks of the stats(I was working so I only got snippets of the game), I'm not actually mad Bonner got more minutes for a change.

underdawg
04-29-2010, 11:23 PM

Exactly and I'm sorry, but too much boner tonight too. He had some good plays, but he got too much time tonight again. Let's face it - the mavs had the talent, but they weren't playing well together at all. Blame it on their coach or new players - they still were in it when they shouldn't have been. I hope Pop changes his thought process on inserting boner, bogans or mason as the playoffs continue on. Bogans had 2 good defensive plays against dirk, but he wasn't valuable on offense - in fact he was hurtful as was boner after a while.

DesignatedT
04-29-2010, 11:25 PM
pop haters!!!!!!! you can always count on them

underdawg
04-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Here. Go and tell Pop all you want to say now. I'm really looking forward to your comments tonight...

in your opinion, what did Pop do great tonight?

honestfool84
04-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Exactly and I'm sorry, but too much boner tonight too. He had some good plays, but he got too much time tonight again. Let's face it - the mavs had the talent, but they weren't playing well together at all. Blame it on their coach or new players - they still were in it when they shouldn't have been. I hope Pop changes his thought process on inserting boner, bogans or mason as the playoffs continue on. Bogans had 2 good defensive plays against dirk, but he wasn't valuable on offense - in fact he was hurtful as was boner after a while.

dang dude. if the Spurs had won their 5th championship tonight, you'd find something to complain about!

underdawg
04-29-2010, 11:28 PM
pop haters!!!!!!! you can always count on them

don't get me wrong - Pop's a great coach and his resume shows that, but that doesn't mean that he's perfect and this year has been one of his worst at figuring this team out. Why did we have success in this round? It's the same reason that we started to play well at the end of the year - MANU!

DesignatedT
04-29-2010, 11:30 PM
don't get me wrong - Pop's a great coach and his resume shows that, but that doesn't mean that he's perfect and this year has been one of his worst at figuring this team out. Why did we have success in this round? It's the same reason that we started to play well at the end of the year - MANU!

think what you want buddy. It goes both ways... why were we playing so poorly in the beginning of the season-MANU.

Manu started to play like hes expected to play......

underdawg
04-29-2010, 11:30 PM
dang dude. if the Spurs had won their 5th championship tonight, you'd find something to complain about!

sorry - we have a long road ahead of us and some of the stubborness of Pop will haunt us when we play a team that's got it together. And yes, if we don't win a 5th this year I'm going to be pissed. How much longer do we have Tim, Tony and Manu playing like they're playing?

underdawg
04-29-2010, 11:31 PM
think what you want buddy. It goes both ways... why were we playing so poorly in the beginning of the season-MANU.

Manu started to play like hes expected to play......

who cares about the regular season? Can you honestly say that Pop magically got Manu to start playing?

SpurOutofTownFan
04-29-2010, 11:31 PM

are these your comments for tonight?

underdawg
04-29-2010, 11:33 PM
are these your comments for tonight?

yep

SpurOutofTownFan
04-29-2010, 11:34 PM
yep

ok

DesignatedT
04-29-2010, 11:35 PM
who cares about the regular season? Can you honestly say that Pop magically got Manu to start playing?

what? lmao what are you talking about? then where is the pop hate coming from? if your disregarding the regular season? you're the one who brought it up.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-29-2010, 11:40 PM
I may start a thread about my sober thoughts on Pop's game 6 when the dust settles, but guys I am flat out convinced there is something seriously wrong with Pop.

Seriously.

After a few minutes into the 2nd, hearing Pop's comments, we think he's keeping an even keel, we're kicking ass, all is good.

After the 3rd quarter started, Pop apparently did not make it a point to attack Dirk.

And we settled for jumpers THE ENTIRE REST OF THE GAME.

We never attacked Kidd or Dirk both of which had 4 fouls.

We only fouled Roddy B. once, while he was getting layup after layup after layup.

Then to puss out with 4 fouls on McDyess when Dirk and Kidd have had 4 for the entire 3rd quarter......we go THREE GUARD LINEUP with Bogans....amazing
It was as if Pop was intentionally throwing the game in that stretch.
I don't care how easy it is to laugh now that we've won but the Mavs turned the table like a motherfucker and Pop did lose control.

The big point tonight is that we hit the jumpshots we were forced to take the rest of the game.

After the fourth was underway, I was basically like, "Spurs fans pray that we keep hitting our jump shots because that's all we're goign to do the rest of the game"

Sure enough.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-29-2010, 11:42 PM
George Hill earned a few more clutch medals on his jacket after tonight but noone will convince me Pop coached a good game tonight.

He fucking blew it.

We essentially depended on jumpshots the entire 2nd half....and half of those made jump shots were off balance and out of rhythm.

Our players just shot fucking great. Props to Dice, Hill, Parker for winning this game with their jumpers.

underdawg
04-29-2010, 11:43 PM
what? lmao what are you talking about? then where is the pop hate coming from? if your disregarding the regular season? you're the one who brought it up.

there's a difference between a player not performing well during the regular season and a coach not coaching well during the regular season. Pop's in charge of getting his players in rythm by the time playoffs start and getting some type of chemistry going as well. A single player doesn't affect that outcome - Manu needed time to get rythm, but that doesn't mean the rest of the team does as well. If you think I'm wrong, fine, but why did Pop say he wasn't able to get the team together if it wasn't his responsibility to do so?

I'll leave it at this - if you asked Pop how good of a coaching job he did this year, I would guarantee that he would say he had one of his worst years of coaching so far. All I'm asking is that he stick with the players that are top level performers and bogans, mason and boner don't fall in that category.