PDA

View Full Version : It's really sad

GSH
05-08-2005, 09:32 AM
It's really sad when the classiest team left in the playoffs, besides the Spurs, has Shaq on it. The Mavericks could have quit shooting in the 4th quarter yesterday, and still would have won the game. But there they were deep into the 4th, with theri starters in the game, running up the score. I want to see Dallas and Phoenix in a brutal, tiring 7 game series. But I found myself wishing Nowitzki would twist an ankle (or worse) at the end, just to teach them a lesson. I thought it was a classless move by Avery Johnson. He may have thought he was sending a message to the other teams, but it was a stupid thing to do. I used to get hammered for saying that I didn't care for A.J. all that much, but I think people are getting to see a different side of him.

Seattle is talking a lot of trash before the series has even started. It will be interesting to see how that all works out. There is a lot of talk about the matchups between the two teams - I think the matchups with the referees is going to be a key element. Jerome James is averaging 3.5 fouls in just 16.6 minutes per game. Fortson is averaging 4.3 fouls in just 16.9 minutes per game. For contrast, consider that Malik was considered very foul prone. He averaged 2.7 fouls in 19.4 minutes per game.

That kind of an average, over the course of an 82 game season is pretty telling. James and Fortson come into games to bang on people. They're slow on their rotations, and none too smart, and both are among the league leaders in fouls per 48 minutes.

So what happened in Round 1 of the playoffs this year? James averaged 4.1 fouls, but in almost twice his normal number of minutes. (32.2 minutes in the playoffs vs. his 16.9 minutes in the regular season.) Did James suddenly learn footwork in the post-season? Did he clean up his act? Doubtful. More likely the refs put their whistles away. Yes, his numbers were way up. But a 7'1" guy has a pretty good chance of putting up some numbers, if he doesn't have to worry about foul calls. If you told Shaq that he could step up the physical aspect of his game because the refs were going to call half as many fouls on him, he'd score 50 points a game. (Of course, he would have to breathe oxygen on the sidelines.)

James and Fortson are talking trash about how they are going to play more physical against the Spurs. You would think that would result in even more fouls than they normally get. Let 'em bring their physical game. As long as the refs blow their whistles, those two won't spend enough minutes on the floor to make any difference.

Samr
05-08-2005, 09:51 AM
I used to really like Avery as well, almost to a fault. While I still think he will be a good coach in the future, the way he has been playing his guys (against us, and now Houston) is as dirty a play as what Melo did to Manu. I hope Phoenix takes them to another 7 games, to wear them out, then absolutely destroys them in game 7. Without their starters.

MadDog73
05-08-2005, 09:57 AM
I didn't catch the game, did the Rockets have their starters in the 4th?

HEAVY-D
05-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Don't forget that Avery also ran the score up against the Spurs...maybe due to his inexperience (as a Head Coach) or maybe he recalled how his Spurs teams blew leads in the playoffs...and he was overcompensating. It will be two great series,nonetheless...and I think the Mavs have a better chance against the Suns that the Rockets.

Super SONIC
05-08-2005, 10:21 AM
But I found myself wishing Nowitzki would twist an ankle (or worse) at the end

How come no one says anything about this, but last week when I wrote that I wish Manu Ginobili broke his nose, The Writer and others were crying to ban me. :pctoss

samikeyp
05-08-2005, 10:23 AM
No one should ever wish for injury regardless of team.

T Park
05-08-2005, 10:51 AM
First off, Sonic, you dont like it?? GTFO that simple.

Avery has turne into a running the score up classless bozo.

I lost all respect for the midget after the game against the Spurs.

Super SONIC
05-08-2005, 11:05 AM
WOW-TPARK, I am proud of you. That was one of the first posts I have ever seen you write with out using an actual curse word. The voacabulary of Spurs fans is outstanding, especially you.

The sone
05-08-2005, 11:07 AM
:oops I think AJ is just a tad young in the coaching dept. to understand. He's the coach but he's still thinking like a player. Or maybe hes just a tool and we couldn't see it before. Whatever hes reasoning is let's not forget who the true evil in the mavericks organization is... Mark Cuban's hair...ewww. shhhh it's looking this way :oops

boutons
05-08-2005, 11:07 AM
"Jerome James is averaging 3.5 fouls in just 16.6 minutes per game. Fortson is averaging 4.3 fouls in just 16.9 minutes per game."

Just like other unathletic, big-man klutzes, Yao, TMass, Rasho, and to some extent Glenn.

Yep, running up a 40-pt win in the playoffs is totally uncalled for, classless, stupid, unsportsmanlike coaching. No matter what Avery was trying to communicate, every coach and team in the league, esp JVG and the Rockets, got the message.

Avery's got more passion, and a bigger mouth, than he has a brain. I don't want this mofo's jersey in the SBC rafters.

ladiesman
05-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Great !!! Can we give #6 to Manu now?

Ladiesman

pjjrfan
05-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I didn't see the end, so I don't know how long he kept the starters in, but even if you substitute how do you tell the guys to not score? I just don't see that, although if he kept his starters out there, that's totally different, first of all why risk an injury to a key player with a 30 or 40 pt lead, and the game well in hand? That is risky business, and totally dumb. But like I said it's hard to tell back-up players to hold back.

boutons
05-08-2005, 12:13 PM
"to hold back"

The bottom of the rotation doesn't need to be told to hold back. Avery insulted, embarrassed the Rockets, and insulted/slighted/denied his own bench. He's been in pro ball long enough such that there'e no forgiving, as 'ignorant ,rookie coach", what he did the Rockets.

Summers
05-08-2005, 12:36 PM
No one should ever wish for injury regardless of team.

I completely agree. It's bad ju-ju, not to mention just plain mean.

I dno't mean this in the snarky way it's going to come out, but this isn't high school. Is is still considered running up the score in pro sports or is it insurance; and didn't we do the same thing in game 2 against Denver?

bigbendbruisebrother
05-08-2005, 12:41 PM
I didn't catch the game, did the Rockets have their starters in the 4th?

According to the game summary, T-Mac sat the entire fourth.

spurster
05-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Maybe no lead is safe when TMac is around.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I completely agree. It's bad ju-ju, not to mention just plain mean.

I dno't mean this in the snarky way it's going to come out, but this isn't high school. Is is still considered running up the score in pro sports or is it insurance; and didn't we do the same thing in game 2 against Denver?

I didn't watch the game yesterday, so I won't weigh in on AJ.

Game 2 against Denver was the first time since Tim had returned that the offense was working. It seemed to me that he left the starters in to shake off as much rust as possible. Of course, a Denver fan might see it differently.

boutons
05-08-2005, 01:02 PM
The Spurs are never safe from their famous 4th qtr collapses. :)

Blowing out the Nuggets in Game2 was just security, not meanness or ill will or embarrasemtn. The game was over by the time the 4th qtr started.

The Spurs message was extremely clear: don't fuck with the Spurs @SBC, esp in the playoffs.

One could say the Nuggets never really recovered from receiving that message. :)

Here are the SAN substitutions in Game2 4th qtr:

(10:30) [SAN] Duncan Substitution replaced by Mohammed
(10:17) [SAN] Bowen Substitution replaced by Robinson
(8:32) [SAN] Horry Substitution replaced by Bowen
(8:32) [SAN] Mohammed Substitution replaced by Nesterovic
(5:56) [SAN] Barry Substitution replaced by Massenburg
(5:56) [SAN] Bowen Substitution replaced by D. Brown

Tony and Manu didn't play the 4th qtr at all.
Tim played only 1st 1.5 minutes of the 4th.

No coach, giving the chance to let bench play, is going to say "take it easy". They want to have fun and experience, too. Show themselves and their coaches what they can do.

Doesn't compare with Avery pounding the Rockets to shit by 40 pts with his starters, while JVG sat most his starters.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2005, 01:36 PM
TMac sat the whole fourth. I guess the great Avery Johnson was worried about Mike James and Jon Barry coming back on them from 25 down :lol

td4mvp21
05-08-2005, 04:37 PM
When your up by twenty in the fourth, its fine to keep your starters in. But when your up by THIRTY OR FOURTY POINTS, then that draws the line. I saw them shooting threes, doing flashy dunks, etc. That was not a very classy move by AJ. I have been very disappointed in the Mavericks this year. I thought they had pretty good attitudes, but then i saw Dirk throw his little hissy fits all the time. He looks at the refs after every missed shot. Stackhouse is just flat out thuggish. Just by his angry facial expressions, you can tell hes a thug. He's also the guy that wanted to start a fight with Ginobili and Barry, two guys that hardly ever play dirty or talk smack. What does that tell you? Jason Terry's not bad, he's actually a very good player. Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels on the other hand, have become very stuckup. Its a pain to watch them because they act like they're all that. I just don't like the over all attitude. If it was one player, thats understandable because every team has a player like that. (For us, its Massenburg and Big Dog by far) I don't like teams like that. And just after we properly disposed of the thugs last round, here we are about to play some more. Lets keep up the D and beat these teams.

adrienne
05-08-2005, 04:55 PM
(3:29) [DAL] Howard Substitution replaced by Bradley
(3:29) [DAL] Finley Substitution replaced by Armstrong
(3:29) [DAL] Terry Substitution replaced by D. Harris

Yeah, that's pretty late in the quarter...but it was only AFTER these players were put in that the lead ballooned to 40. Nowitzki was taken out before that. Who else were they SUPPOSED to play? They had Dampier, Finley, Terry, Howard, Stackhouse, Nowitzki on the bench at the end of the fourth quarter, sadly, they don't HAVE as many scrub-like scrubs as Houston did to throw out there.