PDA

View Full Version : The Dallas Mavericks fanbase: Pathetic

Findog
04-28-2010, 12:25 PM
http://sportsmediablog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/where-have-all-the-mavericks-f.html

I know all the seats were sold at American Airlines Center last night but there sure were long stretches during the Mavericks victory over the Spurs when the TV cameras caught vast expanses of empty seats in the lower bowl. By the time the game ended it looked like many who sat in the high-dollar seats were already long gone. Does that happen in San Antonio? Does that happen in any hardcore sports town?

The TV ratings, by the way, continue to slide. The early numbers show the Mavs' Game 5 victory scored an 8.2 rating (208,641 homes). That's the lowest rating of the series. Game 1 attracted a 13.1 rating (333,316 homes). So what happened to drop 124,675 homes?

I would've loved to have sat in the lower bowl and cheered my ass off, but I can't afford it. Now don't get me wrong, I love the camera shots of the benches at the AAC and seeing stuff like this sitting directly behind the players:

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/10/90%20Hot%20Chicks%20In%20Tight%20Shirts.jpg

Gives me some mental imagery to work with at halftime. And attending about 7-8 games a year, I frequently enjoying stopping to stare at some of the breast augmentation jobs you'll see in the concourses.

But there's no excuse for long expanses of empty seats at an elimination game against our bitter rivals. I know it's similar in many arenas, where the lower bowl tickets are usually scooped up by large corporations to entertain their clients. If I were Cuban, however, I would not let corporations extend their season ticket packages to the playoffs. I'd sell those tickets at 75% face value to the public. Any HCA is diluted by the cocaine and boobjob crowd that thinks of a Mavs playoff game as just another prestigious social event and enjoys the "funny" scoreboard videos more than what actually happens on the court.

I'll never forget the contrast between the crowds at the Oracle and the AAC during the 2007 historic upset against the Warriors. Those fans made life miserable for our boys in blue, while our home crowd consists of corporate fat cats entertaining their clients, 14-year-old girls in pink Dirk jerseys that like to play with the thunderstix instead of paying attention to the game, and Barbie knockoffs from Highland Park texting throughout. You guys can eat a dick.

Mavs_man_41
04-28-2010, 12:27 PM
yup we're the ones who are pathetic..our lack of diehard fans definitely doesn't stem from the on court product :tu

Phillip
04-28-2010, 12:29 PM
yeah, the fans have been really bad due to the idiot rich folks who dont know shit about basketball or the mavericks, buying up all the seats just to show off how rich they are

fuck them

Findog
04-28-2010, 12:31 PM
yup we're the ones who are pathetic..our lack of diehard fans definitely doesn't stem from the on court product :tu

1) The Cowboys rule this town, even when they suck.

2) I actually think that the Mavs success has worked against them, in that after a decade of garbage, followed by a consistent decade of excellence, it is no longer a novelty for the Mavs to win 50 games and make the playoffs. Our fanbase is spoiled and entitled. Those Warriors fans actually had an impact in that series because of how loud they were. Same with the Methahoma City Blunder fans. They are HUNGRY, and our fans are not.

Fpoonsie
04-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Once a year, my best friend and I go all out, spend money on courtside seats at the At&t Center, and lose our fucking minds...

...all the while, feeling COMPLETELY out of place. The "lower bowl issue" isn't just a DAL one.

Mavs_man_41
04-28-2010, 12:40 PM

2) I actually think that the Mavs success has worked against them, in that after a decade of garbage, followed by a consistent decade of excellence, it is no longer a novelty for the Mavs to win 50 games and make the playoffs. Our fanbase is spoiled and entitled. Those Warriors fans actually had an impact in that series because of how loud they were. Same with the Methahoma City Blunder fans. They are HUNGRY, and our fans are not.

I think it has more to do with the fact that they're a fucking cock tease and after being subjected to those 20 win years and being a laughing stock, they finish it off with an extravagant grand finale, the 2 single largest chokejobs in professional sports history.

Phillip
04-28-2010, 12:42 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that they're a fucking cock tease and after being subjected to those 20 win years and being a laughing stock, they finish it off with an extravagant grand finale, the 2 single largest chokejobs in professional sports history.

yeah that probably does too

Findog
04-28-2010, 12:42 PM

The crowds were terrible against the Warriors before that series was finished.

Mavs_man_41
04-28-2010, 12:48 PM
The crowds were terrible against the Warriors before that series was finished.

because of what happened in 2006, and it was on the verge of happening again. you could just smell it in the air that another chokejob was upon us, at some point it becomes too pathetic to even give a shit anymore.

and yeah, those warrior fans were badass that year. that's what a real fanbase is supposed to look like.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-28-2010, 12:49 PM
The SA crowds have been surprisingly good during this series, but believe me Findog, you don't have to tell Spur fans what it is to be accustomed to winning 50 games year in year out and becoming spoiled and half assed when it comes to cheering hard :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
04-28-2010, 12:49 PM
This year, who's got a better crowd in the playoffs? Blazers or Thunder?

Findog
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
The SA crowds have been surprisingly good during this series, but believe me Findog, you don't have to tell Spur fans what it is to be accustomed to winning 50 games year in year out and becoming spoiled and half assed when it comes to cheering hard :lol

Yeah, I forgot, the Spurs had trouble selling out home playoff games during their 2007 run. :lol

Still, they've been good in this series.

Findog
04-28-2010, 12:51 PM

I'm gonna say the SloppySeconds.

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2010, 01:18 PM

If the Mavs would have won at least one championship, it could be different. San Antonio is the same way (50-win seasons, always making the playoffs, etc.), but their fans are in it. Could also be that San Antonio is much smaller than Dallas and the Spurs are their only sports team.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Once a year, my best friend and I go all out, spend money on courtside seats at the At&t Center, and lose our fucking minds...

...all the while, feeling COMPLETELY out of place. The "lower bowl issue" isn't just a DAL one.

Agreed. Got midlevel seats for a regular season game against Houston last year, and SA made a ridiculous run in the 3rd quarter to tie the game, and me and my brother are just going nuts, only to realize that we're in the minority in the noise making department.

Fucking sad. :depressed

Findog
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM
If the Mavs would have won at least one championship, it could be different. San Antonio is the same way (50-win seasons, always making the playoffs, etc.), but their fans are in it. Could also be that San Antonio is much smaller than Dallas and the Spurs are their only sports team.

I think Dallas is more of a Cowboys town and the only kind of similar passion is for the Rangers. The Rangers have a dedicated fanbase considering how terrible they've been for most of their existence. When the Stars and Mavs suck, they don't draw.

The Rangers break 2 million in attendance even when they're awful, which is usually the case. For the last several years, they've oriented their marketing around how going to a baseball game is family-friendly entertainment, instead of the players and how good the team is.

One-team towns usually live and die with their teams - Portland and Salt Lake city are inhospitable environments for road teams. The Zombie Sonics crowds have the passion and intensity of a college crowd. And who can forget "Cowtown" when the Kings were good?

windboy226
04-28-2010, 01:30 PM
I was in the lower bowl for last night's game..and the crowd did thin out for the last 4 or 5 minutes of the game but personally I thought it was the loudest crowd for any Mavs game I've ever been to. The entire crowd was standing and cheering for 5 minutes prior to the game start and seemed into it until the insertion of Matt Carroll let them know the game was over.

Shank
04-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Win or lose, people always file out after the 3:00 TO in the 4th. Where the fuck do you have to be that's so damned important?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-28-2010, 02:58 PM
This is how it is everywhere with a few exceptions. Game 5 against San Antonio in 2007 (the game Amare and Diaw were suspended for) I was told to sit down by the old cuntwad behind me during the 4th quarter.

MateoNeygro
04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah I sometimes forget that the Mavs have to compete with four other 3 other sports teams basically. America's Team, STARS, and Rangers. That's a lot of sports team to follow. San Antonians only have the SPURS and we love them.

Holmes_Fans
04-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Lower bowl rich fans > upper deck poor people

The upper deck fans at the AAC suck ass. I am looked at like I have mental problems in the upper deck because I actually get into the game.

Mean while, I remember a game during the spurs series last year where the entire lower bowl stood the 4th quarter while the poor folk in the upper deck were on their asses.

But like other people said, Dallas actually has other sports franchises. SA has the spurs, a bowl game and HS football championships to watch.

T2150
04-28-2010, 03:53 PM
What's with that old fuck w/the long white pony tail that gets up after every mav made basket and cheers with some gay ass pink noise makers? dude is a retard. I went to a Spurs game in Dallas a couple of years ago and sat in a suite and I was amazed at how apathetic the crowd was. My buddy and I were wearing Spurs gear and cheered constantly but no one seemed to really care or talk smack??? All the bars and hos at the bars are money though in the AAC- that place was awesome.

Shank
04-28-2010, 04:20 PM
What's with that old fuck w/the long white pony tail that gets up after every mav made basket and cheers with some gay ass pink noise makers? dude is a retard.

Don Knobler is one of the coolest dudes you'll ever meet.

djohn2oo8
04-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Lower bowl rich fans > upper deck poor people

The upper deck fans at the AAC suck ass. I am looked at like I have mental problems in the upper deck because I actually get into the game.

Mean while, I remember a game during the spurs series last year where the entire lower bowl stood the 4th quarter while the poor folk in the upper deck were on their asses.

But like other people said, Dallas actually has other sports franchises. SA has the spurs, a bowl game and HS football championships to watch.

Exactly. I think Rockets fans are the worst tho, You have the Yaofans who show up when Yao plays, and don't show up when he doesn't. Then, the corporate assholes in the lower bowl who spend most of the time on their pda's

IronMexican
04-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Most of the people at Laker games are people promoting a movie.

monosylab1k
04-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Win or lose, people always file out after the 3:00 TO in the 4th. Where the fuck do you have to be that's so damned important?

Ghost Bar. That cocaine ain't gonna snort itself.

DesignatedT
04-28-2010, 05:19 PM
the ratings taking a tumble probably had something to do with the game being on NBA tv

Findog
04-28-2010, 05:24 PM
the ratings taking a tumble probably had something to do with the game being on NBA tv

No, the games are simulcast on local television.

DPG21920
04-28-2010, 06:37 PM
With fans like Rouge, what do you expect?

4>0rings
04-28-2010, 07:15 PM

I do the same. The richies get quite pissed off.

Mavs_man_41
04-28-2010, 07:23 PM
With fans like Rouge, what do you expect?

Rogue > a 5'4 midget such as yourself

21_Blessings
04-28-2010, 07:36 PM
No, the games are simulcast on local television.

Yeah but everybody was watching OKC/Lakers

Bob Lanier
04-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Surely Cuban waving his arms around makes up for that.

DPG21920
04-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Rogue > a 5'4 midget such as yourself

Rogue<Mavs_man_41, and you are terrible and that tells you all you need to know croseph.

Mavs_man_41
04-28-2010, 08:51 PM
hit at least 5 and a half measly feet tall, then come talk to me. and if you don't watch your fucking mouth i'll bump it to an even 6'0

mogrovejo
04-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Judging by watching the games on TV:

1. Milwaukee
2. OKC
3. Salt Lake
4. Portland

There's definitely something to the theory of being hungry/1 team towns.

Btw, didn't Cuban wrote something awhile ago about how the Mavericks are planning to make lower bowl tickets cheaper because tickets revenue is not really that important from a financial perspective?

DPG21920
04-28-2010, 08:57 PM
hit at least 5 and a half measly feet tall, then come talk to me. and if you don't watch your fucking mouth i'll bump it to an even 6'0

Still not funny. Crofl at thinking your smack is good. What a cunny you are.

Mavs_man_41
04-28-2010, 08:59 PM
:lol "not funny" smack

oh yeah, well you're not funny or cool either!

krofl pwnt

DPG21920
04-28-2010, 09:02 PM
lol being a Mav fan in a mav fans are pathetic thread

lol b.roasted

Rogue
04-28-2010, 09:15 PM
lol being a Mav fan in a mav fans are pathetic thread

lol b.roasted

mavs in 7, faggot

Shank
04-28-2010, 09:16 PM
lol b.roasted

That's my rap name.

B-Roasted.

DPG21920
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
That's my rap name.

B-Roasted.

Better than "b rabbit" like the rest of Mav fans around here.

DPG21920
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
mavs in 7, faggot

What you say has not yet come true, but with hopes like the ones you possess, it can truly unite your boys in blue and prove you to be a teller of fortunes.

Budkin
04-28-2010, 09:39 PM

I was at the game on Friday and couldn't believe how much louder the crowd was than usual... I think some of the spoil is finally wearing off...

ShoogarBear
04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
At least Mav Fan has multiple excuses (disappointing upsets, Cowboys #1).

There is NO excuse--NONE--for Spur Fan not to be selling out and bringing the roof down every playoff game a la Warriors, Blazers, and Kings circa-2000.

Truth is, basketball is still a poor second to football in SA.

John Terry
04-28-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm sure the deterioration of MavsKrew has much to do with some members being dicks (like... you know who), but it's never been imputed to another simple fact that MavsKrew has been badly alloyed by the infesting of some foreign dumbass pests like Rogue, Badfish22, etc., which I think has to be the culprit. Rockets used to have a loyal fanbase back in 90s and you know things started to change in the year 2002. retards started to infiltrate the Rockets fanbase insidiously as they drafted a moron that year.

kskonn
04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I have been a season ticket holder for the last few years, and I have to say I raise my game for the playoffs. After attending 30-40 regular season games I will admit that my noise making goes down throughout the regular season unless it is a really good game. However I never leave early, ever. When I was younger and only went to a few games a year I always went crazy at every game I got to go to.

I also drink more during the playoffs, and I never schedule presentations the day after a playoff game.

I have thought the crowds at the two games in SA for the playoffs have been very good, I don't think anyone sat down from 8 min in the 4th quarter in game 4.