PDA

View Full Version : How are the Spurs gonna deal with Haywood?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-28-2010, 01:40 PM
His length can really bother the Spurs when they try to attack the lane. He's also not letting Duncan post up as close to the basket as he did before.

Hopefully the Spurs can get him in foul trouble early in game 6, but if he's gonna get 3-4 blocks a game along with a ton of offensive rebounds the Spurs could be in trouble.

I'm not too worried about Butler, as he's just as inconsistent as Jefferson, and I'm sure he'll play much worse on the road. However, Haywood's length isn't gonna dissapear on the road.

And on another note, how are the Spurs going to adjust to McDyess being run off his 10-15 foot jump shots since they seem to force him to put the ball on the floor now.

nkdlunch
04-28-2010, 01:41 PM
If Manu and TD decide to show up, it won't matter.

Shank
04-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Manu ain't right.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Manu ain't right.

If that's the case then props on winning the series after being down 3-1.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Haywood can't stop manu's drives. Manu needs to drive. A couple of quick fouls and he's out of the game.

CGD
04-28-2010, 01:55 PM
He and Butler overachieved last game, helped in no small part by the Spurs's lack of intensity and the fact that role players usually play better when they can feed off the home crowd. I expect the law of averages to bring them down to earth next game, and by the same token to lift TD piss poor performances over the past two games.

alchemist
04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
This right here, doesn't matter what the Mavs do. Tim/Manu show up the series is over.

spursfan1000
04-28-2010, 04:21 PM
How Spurs are going to deal with Haywood? Shouldent you be saying how are Spurs going to deal with Butler...

pad300
04-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Manu ain't right.

"Props" on injuring our best perimeter player...

I will admit though, I think that our team has gone seriously pussy. Someone should have gone out there and handed Dirk a flagrant(2) for his flailing elbows after that play (note, a real Flagrant(2), not the pussy BS that was called on Blair and Jefferson, a real non-basketball play; elbow through the teeth.)... And then there's Najera. 2 games in a row, taking headshots! If we were really tough enough to compete, either Terry, Dirk, Kidd or Butler would have lost half a dozen teeth by now.

Horse
04-28-2010, 04:26 PM
His length can really bother the Spurs when they try to attack the lane. He's also not letting Duncan post up as close to the basket as he did before.

Hopefully the Spurs can get him in foul trouble early in game 6, but if he's gonna get 3-4 blocks a game along with a ton of offensive rebounds the Spurs could be in trouble.

I'm not too worried about Butler, as he's just as inconsistent as Jefferson, and I'm sure he'll play much worse on the road. However, Haywood's length isn't gonna dissapear on the road.

And on another note, how are the Spurs going to adjust to McDyess being run off his 10-15 foot jump shots since they seem to force him to put the ball on the floor now.
One solid game out of 5, I'm not worried gaywood will disappear in San Antoino.

benefactor
04-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Yup...same with Duncan. If Duncan is dialed in Haywood will get abused.

Sisk
04-28-2010, 04:27 PM

:depressed

unfortunately, if manu isn't right, then this is.

slick'81
04-28-2010, 04:28 PM
haywood has given duncan more problems then dampier thats obvious but duncan has to be better than 4 and 11 in games 4/5

cd98
04-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Tim Duncan games 1-3.

TDMVPDPOY
04-28-2010, 04:40 PM
release the bear

TD 21
04-28-2010, 06:59 PM
You people really don't have much confidence in Duncan, do you? Every time he struggles against a long, half decent center people act like it means he'll struggle going forward and that the Spurs are doomed. Like the fact that Haywood is fairly good and long means he should be able to limit (consistently) someone who's, at minimum, still very good and almost equally long. The guy is one of the best, most clutch players of all-time. If that doesn't mean much to you, he's still one of the best current players, with one caveat: when he's rested. Tomorrow night he will be (relatively speaking) and on top of that, he'll be highly motivated. If he actually receives the ball more than on occasion tomorrow, I'm confident that he'll throw up 20+ points and 10+ rebounds.

I will say this though: I don't think in the grand scheme of things it swings the entire series, but I do think Carlisle should have started the series with Haywood starting and playing the bulk of the minutes at center or at least made the switch earlier. He's longer, more mobile, a better shot blocker, offensive rebounder and a slightly better post scorer than Dampier. Dampier, for all his mass and supposed post defense prowess, has always been destroyed by Duncan (he's not alone in that category, but, at least in the past five years, I can't think of another center that Duncan has so thoroughly destroyed with such regularity).

Brazil
04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
throw a bone (Ian) to him

mavsfan1000
04-28-2010, 08:00 PM
What I find amazing is how Tim and Manu found the youth they had a few years ago. It seems like the series took some of that away over time. We were unfortunate to play a team that was saving themselves.

SpursDynasty
04-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Lol at fans worrying about two Washington Wizards.

Bob Lanier
04-28-2010, 08:07 PM
You people really don't have much confidence in Duncan, do you?
Should they? When was the last time Tim Duncan consistently carried the Spurs offensively?

TD 21
04-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Should they? When was the last time Tim Duncan consistently carried the Spurs offensively?

Yeah, they should. Last time I checked he has a history of playing big in big games.

First half of this season, when they were in shambles. He also did it in the first half of last season before inevitably wearing down.

Bartleby
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Yeah, they should. Last time I checked he has a history of playing big in big games.

Pistons fan should know this.

Bob Lanier
04-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Oh, it's 2005? And Dallas is going to guard him with someone who weighs 220 pounds?

duncan228
04-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Hasn't Tim been the leading scorer for games 1 through 3?

Yes.

itzsoweezee
04-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Haywood cannot guard Duncan. If Haywood gets major minutes, Tim has got to punish them. Just outright demoralize the Mavs.

EricB
04-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Face him up take him to the hole draw fouls on him by upfaki g. It really is that freaking simple....

taps
04-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Face him up take him to the hole draw fouls on him

Agreed, use some of that PF game; dance on him a little with those magic handles. Also like to see some more of that righty hook in the lane Sean likes.

Bob Lanier
04-29-2010, 03:49 AM
Hasn't Tim been the leading scorer for games 1 through 3?
He was very good in games 1 and 2, but more as a finisher than a creator; his passes out of doubles were not nearly as efficient as they could be. He looks like Amare Stoudemire on offense more than Tim Duncan, and I don't trust that kind of offensive strategy to win games for the Spurs going forward. 25 points on 60% shooting is well and good, but there has to be a coherent, structured offense for the Spurs to win against the Lakers, the Jazz, the Magic, Cs, or Cavs, and what I've seen out of Duncan on his isolation attempts is not nearly what he once could do. Even his play against Dampier is more ... tepid ... than it was in 2006.

Bob Lanier
04-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Face him up take him to the hole draw fouls on him by upfaki g. It really is that freaking simple....
Haywood's too agile for that to be the best strategy. Against Dampier, that will draw fouls at a reliable clip, but Haywood can back off and recover to affect the shot if Tim goes into the lane. The best way is simply to give Duncan the ball on the right block and punish Haywood going baseline.

xellos88330
04-29-2010, 04:25 AM
He needs to go over his left shoulder towards the baseline. Haywood has a hard time stopping that. It is always a decent shot attempt from Duncan. If Duncan wants to go middle he is gonna have to find another way to do it. Haywood seems to be able to get a good contest on it.

hsxvvd
04-29-2010, 05:36 AM
My 3 step plan.

Step 1. Pull his headband over his eyes.

Step 2. Pull it back really far.

Step 3. Snap it back in his face.

(repeat steps 1-3 if necessary).