PDA

View Full Version : Magic’s Howard fined $35,000 by NBA for comments on blog

duncan228
04-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Howard fined for criticizing officials (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/04/28/howard.fine.ap/index.html)

Even on a day off, Dwight Howard can antagonize officials enough to draw a penalty.

The Orlando Magic center was fined $35,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for criticizing officials on his blog, the second time this season he's been penalized for posting such comments.

Howard was in chronic foul trouble and constantly complaining about officiating in the Magic's series sweep over Charlotte. He fouled out in the last two games, played only 105 minutes and committed 22 fouls in four games.

"I'm not looking to say anything to get myself in trouble with the league, but I just don't see other star players getting called for fouls the way I get them," Howard posted on his blog. "No star player in the league is outta games the way I am."

NBA commissioner David Stern has grown tired of all the griping and vowed to crack down on critical comments, challenging players and coaches last week to "make my day" by continuing to complain during the rest of the playoffs.

The Magic have thus far been the prime example.

Coach Stan Van Gundy and forward Matt Barnes were fined $35,000 each last week for criticizing officials and publicly questioning their calls on Howard. Orlando's All-Star center also was fined $15,000 in November for similar comments on his blog, although those were light compared to his latest post.

"I mean, it was almost comical at times how I was getting fouls called on me," Howard wrote. "There was nothing I could do (out) there and I felt like I couldn't even move without getting that whistle blown on me."

The Magic were off Tuesday and Wednesday. They will face the winner of the Atlanta-Milwaukee series in the second round.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
04-28-2010, 09:17 PM
I once knew the answer and forgot. Where does all this money collected from fines go?

There's an old argument. If everyone who got a traffic ticket went to court and fought it, the police would stop giving tickets.

How about if everyone complained about the refs? Stern would have a lot of cash but his threat to suspend critics would be called.

It''s been said before. Referees should be on the podium in the post game interviews to explain their calls. Then and only then will people shut up. I don't believe in fixes but plenty of other people do. This may be the only way to get better refereeing in games.

supervietnamlakers
04-28-2010, 09:19 PM
i think fines goes to charity? also its good fine for rich players. they can use that as a tax write offs

duncan228
04-28-2010, 09:32 PM
I think the NBA and the Players Association split the fines and then donate it to the charity of their choice.

Jacob1983
04-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Stern is such a dumbass. If he would stop protecting his zebras and held them to the same standards as the players and coaches then no one would bitch. Hold refs accountable for making shitty calls or at least have them admit they were wrong. NBA refs are some of the most stubborn and arrogant fuckers in North American sports.

BanditHiro
04-28-2010, 11:16 PM
vaZIAXJJDKQ

so you can't complain if this shit happens?

NRHector
04-28-2010, 11:29 PM
the kid has a point, thank god he doesn't play with the Spurs

BRHornet45
04-28-2010, 11:40 PM
sons Stern can't hold the refs accountable for something they aren't doing wrong ... they are simply just doing their job and sticking to his script.

EmptyMan
04-28-2010, 11:57 PM
lol @ stern trying to act hard last week

EmptyMan
04-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Suns fan should be pissed Stern banned half your team during 07 for stepping forward 2 feet, and let's DHo go free after telling the world he would suspend such action.

Udokafan05
04-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Howard and SVG are starting to whine about everything to the media. Its getting old.

Cane
04-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Charles Barkley just showed a compilation of Dwight Howard's "stupid fouls" and nicknamed him "Big Dummy". After watching this guy for the past two seasons....gonna have to agree. He makes too many boneheaded fouls and seems to get frustrated easily to the point of bricking free throws or grabbing dumb technicals.

boston.balla
04-29-2010, 02:43 AM
vaziaxjjdkq

so you can't complain if this shit happens?

lmao!!

Indazone
04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Now that Yao is injured and no longer the MVP of fouls, someone had to step up to the plate to be Big Man Zebra bait. Welcome to the big leagues Dwight.

lurker
04-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Matt_Barnes22 (http://twitter.com/Matt_Barnes22): They say the TRUTH shall set u free. Now days it just hurts ur wallet!!