PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams Says He's the NBA's Best Point Guard

duncan228
04-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Deron Williams Says He's the NBA's Best Point Guard (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/28/deron-williams-says-hes-the-nbas-best-point-guard/)
By Chris Tomasson

If you want to see the best point guard in the NBA, come out to that lost American time zone, also known the Rocky Mountain one.

No, not Steve Nash in Phoenix.

It's Utah's Deron Williams. And he doesn't disagree.

"I feel I was the best point guard in the league for a while,'' said Williams, when asked by FanHouse during a media session after Wednesday's shootaround at the Pepsi Center if he's the NBA's top point guard. "I think I'm the best point guard in the league. No reason. I just think I'm the best.''

Williams is sure showing that during a West first-round series the Jazz lead 3-1 over Denver heading into Wednesday night's Game 5. Williams is averaging 25.8 points and 11.0 assists in the series, and has become just the fourth NBA player ever to record at least 20 points and 10 assists in the first four games of a playoff series.

In somewhat of an attempt to combat him, the Nuggets will start point guard Chauncey Billups against Williams for the first time in the series rather than shooting guard Arron Afflalo.

"We just want to show him something different,'' Billups said. "How I guard him is a little different than probably Arron does. I'm probably a little more physical.''

Billups knows it will be a tough task. He was asked if he feels Williams is the NBA's top point guard.

"He's as good as it gets, man,'' Billups said. "He can do everything. He really doesn't have any weaknesses. I think that's the ultimate compliment that you can pay to a player is to say that he doesn't have any weaknesses, and I think he's reached that point now.''

Williams, who averaged 18.7 points and 10.5 assists during the regular season while making his first All-Star Game, has thought that for a while. He was asked who the second-best point guard is in the NBA.

"CP,'' said Williams, referring to New Orleans' Chris Paul, who was taken No. 4 in the 2005 draft while Williams went No. 3, with Paul getting off to a quicker NBA start. "Just like he probably thinks he's the best and I'm No. 2.''

So who's the bronze medalist in this point-guard derby?

"Steve Nash,'' Williams said. "You got to argue him, what he's doing at this age (36) is crazy. I felt he's been the best point guard for the first probably three or four years that I was in the league.''

Well, this is Williams' fifth year. So that gives an idea of when Williams believes he passed Nash.

"Hands down,'' Utah forward Carlos Boozer said when asked if Williams is the NBA's top point guard. "I think he's proven that throughout the course of the season. I think he's taking on the challenge of playing against Chauncey Billups, and he's stepped his game up even more.''

The only other players to have recorded 20 points and 10 assists in the first four games of a playoff series are Cincinnati's Oscar Robertson in 1965, Phoenix's Kevin Johnson in 1989 and the Lakers' Magic Johnson in 1990.

Count Robertson and Johnson as two of the greatest ever to play the game. But as far as being the best point guard in the NBA now, Williams gives it to himself.

Giuseppe
04-29-2010, 11:50 AM
After Nash and his umpteenth turnovers Williams is right.

redzero
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I have no problem with players making these kinds of declarations if they can back it up.

Cane
04-29-2010, 12:00 PM
He has been ever since CP3 went down with injury.

Giuseppe
04-29-2010, 12:01 PM
...& Eva took up the strap on.

JoshO501
04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I still like a healthy Paul better but Deron is right there with him.

lil_penny
04-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I think paul is awesome, but I like williams a little better.

dougp
04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
I still like a healthy Paul better but Deron is right there with him.

Any particular reason why? Deron actually plays 1 on 1 defense, not taking gambles in the passing lanes, and can take my PGs into the post. His vision is just as good as CP3 though.

redzero
04-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Any particular reason why? Deron actually plays 1 on 1 defense, not taking gambles in the passing lanes, and can take my PGs into the post. His vision is just as good as CP3 though.

I lol at the fact that "getting steals doesn't mean playing good defense" has devolved into "getting steals means playing bad defense."

bulakenyo
04-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Williams' low to the ground, little tank PG style usually has a longer career than the super flashy and super quick, spitfire PGs.

Utah's my second team after the Spurs.

dougp
04-29-2010, 12:23 PM
I lol at the fact that "getting steals doesn't mean playing good defense" has devolved into "getting steals means playing bad defense."

CP3 plays the passing lanes - his one on one defense blows.

picc84
04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
You can't go wrong with either. I've never seen Deron as dominant as Paul was during 08 and stretches of the 09 season though.

But right now he's probably right.

z0sa
04-29-2010, 12:25 PM
He's playing like it, too.

redzero
04-29-2010, 12:38 PM
CP3 plays the passing lanes - his one on one defense blows.

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/6359/cpdefense.jpg (http://img576.imageshack.us/i/cpdefense.jpg/)

Muser
04-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Can't go wrong with either of them.

dougp
04-29-2010, 01:01 PM
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/6359/cpdefense.jpg (http://img576.imageshack.us/i/cpdefense.jpg/)

What year was that, the year he led the league in steals?

boston.balla
04-29-2010, 01:07 PM

lmao between rashard and sheed .. LOOL excellent benchmarking right there.
LOL 121-61
LOL getting raped by williams countless time
LOL pointless stats
LOL williams carrying his team in the playoffs with him being the ONLY first round pick in the team
LOL idiotic stats made for dumb fucks that don't watch games
thus, LOL cp3

boston.balla
04-29-2010, 01:11 PM
furthermore, any sane coach knows what size and leadership and a true winner mentality bring to the table. Cp3 has NONE, let me repeat NONE freaking NADA of them and this is a fact. These things bring the rings, the rest is just meaningless stats in a system designed to maximize pg game.

Cane
04-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Nah, a healthy CP3 is better than Deron Williams in every aspect of the game except when it comes to size. D-will is also in a much better system, team, franchise, and coach. Hornets are dealing with financial difficulties and still looking for a coach.

Lets not forget that his Jazz team also got destroyed last year.

Chomag
04-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Wow, this is kind of strange to hear williams self proclaim.. It's not like him... although he is right. At least the man can actually back it up unlike some other self proclaimers.

redzero
04-29-2010, 01:19 PM
lmao between rashard and sheed .. LOOL excellent benchmarking right there.
LOL 121-61
LOL getting raped by williams countless time
LOL pointless stats
LOL williams carrying his team in the playoffs with him being the ONLY first round pick in the team
LOL idiotic stats made for dumb fucks that don't watch games
thus, LOL cp3

Of course. The stats must be lying. Chris Paul is a bad defender, which is why he is so efficient defensively.

He only gets the steals, guise!

duhoh
04-29-2010, 01:40 PM
cool story broseidon

Findog
04-29-2010, 01:48 PM
This year he is. Depends on how well Paul bounces back from his injury.

Brazil
04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
This year he is. Depends on how well Paul bounces back from his injury.

this

Rummpd
04-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Parker 3 rings, and one finals MVP begs to differ. Bottom line when Parker is on he can dominate as much if not more than any other point guard in the league.

Xylus
04-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Deron Williams is the NBA's best point guard.

Girasuck
04-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Parker 3 rings, and one finals MVP begs to differ. Bottom line when Parker is on he can dominate as much if not more than any other point guard in the league.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/jazz1232cardshop/Other%20Stuff/HastingsAward.jpg

MateoNeygro
04-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Deron > CP3 > Parker > Rondo > Nash

I'm probably biased putting Parker before those two but whateva I do what I want.

MateoNeygro
04-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Deron saying that actually caught me off guard. I've never heard him go to the media and say some shit like this but hey the guy can back it up so let it be. Jazz still won't be winning a Ring anytime soon.

Rummpd
04-29-2010, 02:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/jazz1232cardshop/Other%20Stuff/HastingsAward.jpg

Parker outplayed Williams when it mattered last playoff series between the two - Paul and Williams fabulous guards but win a friggin ONE title or EVEN MAKE A FINALS before calling them superstars or laughingly undoubtedly the best in the game - the PG is supposed to QB the team and if all they do is put up stats big friggin deal - that is the problem with the media annointing non winners!

IronMexican
04-29-2010, 02:30 PM
I like CP3 a little bit more. So, very very close, though.

Ode to Triple Ocho
04-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Deron is a tougher matchup for opposing PG because of his size. Which is why he continually bends over Chris Paul when they go head to head.

In fact Paul's defense is vastly overrated solely due to the fact he snatches so many steals.

Cane
04-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Deron is a tougher matchup for opposing PG because of his size. Which is why he continually bends over Chris Paul when they go head to head.

In fact Paul's defense is vastly overrated solely due to the fact he snatches so many steals.

Paul is averaging 20/9/4 against Williams in the past two seasons. Deron is averaging 16/11/3

Archer is a shitty cartoon show btw.

Ode to Triple Ocho
04-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Archer is a shitty cartoon show btw.

Great job admitting you have a shitty sense of humor.

IronMexican
04-29-2010, 02:45 PM
check the stats

Game 1
Deron Williams 34 points and 9 assists
Tony Parker 21 points and 6 assists

Game 2
Williams 26 points and 10 assists
Parker 17 points and 14 assists

Game 3
Williams 31 points and 8 assists
Parker 25 points and 7 assists

Game 4
Williams 27 points and 10 assists
Parker 17 points and 2 assists

Game 5
Williams 11 points and 2 assists
Parker 21 points and 5 assists

Parker only out played Williams in the last game. And Bowen was guarding Williams most of the time in that series.

Damn, dude, you just owned him.

Rummpd
04-29-2010, 02:49 PM
In 2008-2009 Parker had a higher PER than Williams http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/rankings/_/position/pg and this year it flipped due to primarily Parker's injury - Not putting Williams down as he is simply a stud and a physical stong man but the reality is when both are healthy there is little to separate Parker and Williams - Parker is quicker and has shot an even higher percentage from the field than Deron and has become a fine defender. Williams has the strength and is also a fine passer but in the Spurs system Parker also is not as free to operate as Williams appears to be.

Parker in the head to head series also did not gun as much as Williams and the bottom line won the series. Williams has to get to at least one finals to be the true top PG in the league - he has all the ability to do so, but do it before blowing your own horn so much. Give me Stockton any day in that regard - modest true all time great without blowing his own horn all the time.

dirk4mvp
04-29-2010, 02:52 PM
In 2008-2009 Parker had a higher PER than Williams http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/rankings/_/position/pg and this year it flipped due to primarily Parker's injury - Not putting Williams down as he is simply a stud and a physical stong man but the reality is when both are healthy there is little to separate Parker and Williams - Parker is quicker and has shot an even higher percentage from the field than Deron and has become a fine defender. Williams has the strength and is also a fine passer but in the Spurs system Parker also is not as free to operate as Williams appears to be.

Have you ever watched a Jazz game? Their offense is just as structured (if not more structured) as the Spurs' offense.

Stop being an idiot.

redzero
04-29-2010, 02:55 PM
In 2008-2009 Parker had a higher PER than Williams http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/rankings/_/position/pg and this year it flipped due to primarily Parker's injury - Not putting Williams down as he is simply a stud and a physical stong man but the reality is when both are healthy there is little to separate Parker and Williams - Parker is quicker and has shot an even higher percentage from the field than Deron and has become a fine defender.

If you're using PER, Chris Paul blows both of them away. So, what is it: PER or championships?

Rummpd
04-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Listen I agree that Paul and William are probably 1A and 1B but Parker deserves to be in the discussion as 1C (ala champion winner and a finals MVP, as is Billup - a very under-rated PG by many) and he also has had two years over 50% from the field.

I love Williams game by the way and if starting a team de novo would love him and probably make him the top pick (or possibly also Rondo) for his size and strength and quickness but there are many fine PGS including Paul, the statistical PER genius or Parker who can drive opposing defense batty with his quickness depending what I had at other positions.

D2Procon
04-29-2010, 02:58 PM
IMO Derrick Rose is the best point guard in the NBA despite having a shitty team.

Ode to Triple Ocho
04-29-2010, 03:01 PM
IMO Derrick Rose is the best point guard in the NBA despite having a shitty team.

no

but he's better than that ass-sniveling little bitch Rondo

Rummpd
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Nooooo, shut the fuck up faggot.

Heck the Lakers would love to have any decent PG - Fisher has guts but that is about all these days.

picc84
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Listen I agree that Paul and William are probably 1A and 1B but Parker deserves to be in the discussion as 1C (ala champion winner and a finals MVP, as is Billup - a very under-rated PG by many) and he also has had two years over 50% from the field.

I love Williams game by the way and if starting a team de novo would love him and probably make him the top pick (or possibly also Rondo) for his size and strength and quickness but there are many fine PGS including Paul, the statistical PER genius or Parker who can drive opposing defense batty with his quickness depending what I had at other positions.

Parker isn't in the same hemisphere as Paul and Williams.

benefactor
04-29-2010, 03:07 PM
I would trade two Parker's for Deron Williams.

Muser
04-29-2010, 03:17 PM
:lmao at people saying Parker > Deron.

Baseline
04-29-2010, 03:18 PM
It's so cheesy to say this yourself. Why not maintain some class and let other people say it if they feel that way? Like Durant. Durant would never say something like this. Duncan would never say something like this.

Also, Deron Williams carries the ball on every single possession. His crossover is an abomination of NBA rules. He has the ugliest game of any point guard ever to play in the NBA.

rjv
04-29-2010, 03:19 PM
he can certainly make the argument that he is

RamReddy
04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Deron Williams is...his jumpshot is super wet... he can get like 20 and 10ast every game

When u have a guy that can shoot like that and dish the rock like he does...and also take it to the hole strong ...then of course he's the best PG in the league

...Nash is a close second tho

D. Williams > Nash >CP3

z0sa
04-29-2010, 03:58 PM
I would trade Parker and his 3 championships/Finals MVP for Deron in a heartbeat. Parker is a great player but Deron Williams is just better and will be better for longer.

picc84
04-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah, def have to give props to Steve Nash. Even if he isn't the best PG in the league anymore, he's still the MVP of his team and the best player by far. Not easy to spoonfeed your PF's and run the offense at his age.

Pelicans78
04-29-2010, 04:17 PM
I have no problem with people saying D-Will is the best right now. They said the same thing back in 2006-2007 when he went to the WCF and while CP3 was at home for the playoffs. The next season, the Hornets finished 2nd in the West with CP3 second in the MVP balloting.

Anyway, D-Will is playing great and its hard for me to say he isn't the best right now. Hopefully CP3 can bounce back next season.

BTW, Rondo shouldn't be anywhere near the discussion. I still remember Collison raping all over the court. Collison can pretty much do everything better than Rondo at this point, especially offensively. Rondo isn't close to being top 5.

Pelicans78
04-29-2010, 04:21 PM
But right now, D-Will is playing the best. I'm enjoying his performances because he's doing it all offensively. Running the offense, passing, and scoring. Its pretty cool to watch. D-Will is even better in the post compared to Dirk.

Brazil
04-29-2010, 04:25 PM
good for him

Girasuck
04-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Even Deron's biggest enemy has seen the light...

We learned a valuable lesson here: no "injury-riddled team" can be counted out in the playoffs if they still have their best two guys. By the way, I'm about to have a Shawn Michaels/Marty Janetty moment with Chris Paul ... so hold on tight ... but I can't fight it anymore. Deron Williams is officially the best point guard alive. For the old "Independence Day" scenario in which aliens land on earth and challenge us to a game of basketball for the future of the universe, if we could only pick five guys, Williams, LeBron, Wade, Howard and 'Melo would have to be the five.

(Well, unless you're a Lakers fan. Then you'd pick LeBron, Bynum, Gasol, Kobe and Jordan Farmar.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100429

FkLA
04-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Parker needs to worry about being the starter of his own fucking team before some of you homers put him in the same pedestal as Deron and CP3. TP has all the talent in the world but he doesnt orchestrate a team like the top guys in the league do.

1.Deron
2.Paul
3.Rondo
4.Billups
5.Nash

BRHornet45
04-29-2010, 04:39 PM
sons the truth has always been that you can't go wrong with either of them. CP3 has MUCH, MUCH better stats than Williams has ever had every season since their rookie seasons to backup his claim. LOL at some of you jumping on Williams bandwagon simply because of this years playoffs. The "what have you done for me today?" attitude on this board is spreading. I guess any player who is kicking ass in the playoffs RIGHT NOW is automatically the best at their position according to some of your mindsets. Also its hilarious how some of you disregard Paul's great defense and act as if he sucks at it. Go ask any point guard in the NBA if Paul's defense sucks and they will laugh you out of the room. He puts ridiculous amounts of pressure on the opposing point guard with his speed and quick hands. The problem here is that many people on this message board have a personal bias AGAINST Paul, so all of the facts and stats get completely ignored just out of spite. On this board its similar to like a silly grassroots movement to say that "Williams is the best PG in the NBA" .... like that is the "cool" thing to say.

Again ... you can't go wrong with either one of them, but there is a reason why Paul gets the awards and attention and Williams doesn't. His stats in nearly every single category are much better. he has led the league in assist, steals, double doubles, etc. numerous times. .... Williams has never once led the league in ANYTHING and also has never even put up at least 20 points per game. Now of course stats aren't everything, BUT if you want to claim that you're the best at your position then you should be able to lead the league in at least SOMETHING. This is similar to some idiots trying to claim that Dirk is better than Duncan ... LOL

Edward
04-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah, def have to give props to Steve Nash. Even if he isn't the best PG in the league anymore, he's still the MVP of his team and the best player by far. Not easy to spoonfeed your PF's and run the offense at his age.

21_blessings isn't kidding when he says you don't know dick about basketball.

BRHornet45
04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
If Williams wanted to average 25 points per game he easily could. Look at his averages in the playoffs where the real season is.

Williams in the playoffs this year is averaging 28.2 points and 11.6 assists.
His career playoff numbers are 21.2 points and 9.7 assists.

The only thing that Parker has over Williams is speed.

son Williams has never once even averaged 20 points per game! ... if Paul wanted to he could easily put up 25+ per game. last year he put up almost 23 per game all the while still leading the league in assist and steals.

BRHornet45
04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
:lmao at people saying Parker > Deron.

son Parker definitely deserves a top 5 mention (#4 or #5), but people claiming he is in the top 3 or higher just proves my point about this message board. People use their personal favorites and bias to determine who is the best at each position. The facts and stats are completely ignored on here for the most part.

TheMACHINE
04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
he's only the best when CP3 is injured and not playing.

LnGrrrR
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
I still like Chris Paul better, but I can't argue that Deron is 1B to Paul's 1A.

Ghazi
04-29-2010, 05:06 PM
PER is nice and all, but sometimes you have to factor intangibles.

When you are on the court as your team gets dickwhipped by 60 @ home IN the playoffs, and when in Game 7 you let Jannero fucking Pargo take THIRTEEN (count em!) 4th quarter shots, you simply cannot be the best PG in the game.

Also factoring that he's an injury prone little bitch these days, CP3 has NO debate as the best.

CP3 was not even a top five PG this year.

Ghazi
04-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Against the same Nuggets defense last year, Cp3 got shut down cold. Fucker got outplayed by Chauncy Billups. if youre not the best at your position in your own series, how can you be the best in all of basketball?

deron has been one of the brighter stars in the playoffs this year

Edward
04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
in Game 7 you let Jannero fucking Pargo take THIRTEEN (count em!) 4th quarter shots, you simply cannot be the best PG in the game.

You also can't be a franchise player when you're deferring to Jason Terry down the stretch of a key playoff game.

BRHornet45
04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
CP3 was not even a top five PG this year.

yet before his injury he was leading the league as usual in assist and steals and on his way to another 20+ and 10+ season .... but then again what would you know? you're a man who pays $250 for a hand job you little fun boy you.

Ghazi
04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
You also can't be a franchise player when you're deferring to Jason Terry down the stretch of a key playoff game.

Dirk: undefeated in Game 7's
CP3: 0-1 in Game 7's letting Pargo take 13 4th quarter shots. THIRTEEN people!!!

That's a 52 shot game!!

Andrew Bynum
04-29-2010, 05:12 PM
He's definitely the best PG in the league. CP3's career seems to be falling apart. He can't stay on the court anymore, just injury after injury and we all know about 121-63. D Will simply plays out of his mind every game and is about to lead his undermanned team past what was thought to be the biggest threat to the best team in the West, without HC mind you.

BRHornet45
04-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Dirk: undefeated in Game 7's
CP3: 0-1 in Game 7's letting Pargo take 13 4th quarter shots. THIRTEEN people!!!

That's a 52 shot game!!

son Dirk has been knocked out by 8th seeds and will be knocked out by a 7th seed this year. that fact alone shows you what a bitch he is.

BRHornet45
04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
He's definitely the best PG in the league. CP3's career seems to be falling apart. He can't stay on the court anymore, just injury after injury and we all know about 121-63. D Will simply plays out of his mind every game and is about to lead his undermanned team past what was thought to be the biggest threat to the best team in the West, without HC mind you.

son wtf are you talking about? ... Paul gets injured one season and all of a sudden his career is "falling apart"??? He had a minor injury during his second season, but other than that he has been healthy.

Games played

05-06: 78
06-07: 64
07-08: 80
08-09: 78
09-10: 45

son I guess your boy Kobe's career was falling apart too then with your mindset huh?? .... in 03-04 and 04-05 he only played in 65-66 games. This year he missed 9 games ... back in 99 he only played in 50 games ....

LOL son players are going to get hurt every now and then unless they are ridiculously lucky or don't play a lot of minutes.

jag
04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
son Parker definitely deserves a top 5 mention (#4 or #5), but people claiming he is in the top 3 or higher just proves my point about this message board. People use their personal favorites and bias to determine who is the best at each position. The facts and stats are completely ignored on here for the most part.

Why are you so emo now, bro?

jag
04-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Is everything ok?

Greg Oden
04-29-2010, 05:19 PM

Everyone pretty much knows he's a fat white guy now.

BRHornet45
04-29-2010, 05:21 PM

son I'm not emo. just defending my nigga from these hatas

DesignatedT
04-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Id take williams over paul.

da_suns_fan
04-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Deron Williams Says He's the NBA's Best Point Guard (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/28/deron-williams-says-hes-the-nbas-best-point-guard/)
By Chris Tomasson

The only other players to have recorded 20 points and 10 assists in the first four games of a playoff series are Cincinnati's Oscar Robertson in 1965, Phoenix's Kevin Johnson in 1989 and the Lakers' Magic Johnson in 1990.

Count Robertson and Johnson as two of the greatest ever to play the game. But as far as being the best point guard in the NBA now, Williams gives it to himself.

Epic fail.
Are we just suppose to assume which Johnson he's talking about? Obviously he means magic but KJ was one of the best ever to play the game as well.

Greg Oden
04-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Epic fail.

Your existence described in 2 words.

lol asu

tlongII
04-29-2010, 05:54 PM
D-Will is definitely the best PG in the league. CP3 is a close #2.

m33p0
04-29-2010, 06:44 PM
well, he is.