PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry Quarter by Quarter touch count

whottt
05-08-2005, 07:14 PM
1st quarter - 1 touch(as anything other than setting the initial play), 1 basket.

Manu in the game now at the 6:50 mark.

Barry back in for Bowen at the 1:50 mark.

1 touch, 1 basket.

Total for the 1st quarter: two touches in transition.

xcoriate
05-08-2005, 07:24 PM
:lol keep trying whottt

and for the record Barry definately helps the team when he is on the floor regardless of whether is hsot is on or off.

whottt
05-08-2005, 07:36 PM
It's time to end all the "gutless" accusations against Barry...I can't really defend his shooting...but I can prove that he isn't very involved in the offense...

None of the guys look for him on penetration plays at any other time than late in the clock....

whottt
05-08-2005, 07:43 PM
2nd Quarter - through the @8:42 minute mark: 5 touches, 1 assist, 1 3PA while covered, 1 pass that lead to a basket, 1 pass to a wide open Manu for the 3, and 1 bad idea of a pass to Nazr.

This was a heavily active segment for Barry, mainly due to some potential fastbreak chances in which Barry was the lead man....they ended up slowing it up and running the half court and I liked the way Pop is using him as PG some.

An additional 1 touch through the 7:19 point...again when pushing the ball, passed to Bowen, Bowen passed to Duncan for a score.

7:19: Manu in for Barry.

5:00: Barry in for Bowen

2:25: 1 touch for a 3.

1:30: 1 touch, passed to Parker for missed 3PA.

:50: 1 touch, passed to someone or other, no basket.

Total for second quarter: 9 touches, 2 3pa's(one he wasn't open), 1 3pm, 2 assists, 2 passes that lead to scores, 1 pass to a wide open Manu the 3.

I should note, Barry has only gotten 1 open look in this game, in the half court set.

I should also note that second quarter was IMO the most he has touched the ball in a playoff game yet...just beating out what he did in the late 3rd of game 5 VS the finals. Barry is handling the ball more.

We also might want to start calling Barry the Rashard stopper lmao, whoda thunk it...he did better on him than anyone else has done this season .

IcemanCometh
05-08-2005, 07:46 PM
i think its fairly obvious that it was a mistake to replace hedo with barry

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Yeah, Hedo sure was money in the playoffs last year.

whottt
05-08-2005, 07:52 PM
yeah ice, but you kinda hate white people, so what you think is highly suspect.

whottt
05-08-2005, 08:39 PM
I missed everything through the 9 minute mark of the third....my dog chewed up my pack of cigarettes. I had to beat his ass(kidding) and go get more cigs...

I saw Barry get 1 touch and pass to an open Bowen for a missed shot.

6:50: Manu in for Barry.

2:40 Barry in for Bowen.

Final 2:40: 3 touches. Got to the FT line once, turned it over once. Passed it to Beno who bobbled...not sure what happened after that but we didn't score I don't think.

Total for the third quarter: 4 touches, 1FTA, 1 TO, 1 pass to Beno, 1 pass to Bowen.

whottt
05-08-2005, 09:15 PM
4th quarter: 1 touch through the 9:53 mark, was covered, passed to Bowen, Bowen covered, passed to Duncan for score....

Pop needs to use Beno as more of the 2 guard like he did in the second quarter. Beno is not the only one playing sloppy but he is the sloppiest...he's playing laissez-faire, like he's playing his little brother or something.

9:07 1 touch for 3.

7:21: Manu in for Barry

5:55: Barry in for Manu

4:00: Manu in for Barry

2:00 Barry in for Manu. 1 touch, 1 3pa.

Total:3 touches, 2 3PA, 1 3PM, 1 pass that wound up in a score.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Beno's at his best like the first half of the year when they had Barry running point and Beno playing the two.

Solid D
05-08-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm glad someone is watching Brent's touch-count while the rest of us watch the game.

whottt
05-08-2005, 09:42 PM
You aren't being fair to your abilities Solid...you are also taking time out to make snide comments in a thread about a subject you seem to have no interest in, as well as watching the game. :rolleyes

Now run along and go play with the "rest of us", you collective fellow you.

Solid D
05-08-2005, 09:45 PM
:lol You got me there.

whottt
05-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Breakdown by quarter:

1st quarter: 2 touches
2nd quarter: 9 touches
3rd quarter: 4 touches
4th quarter: 3 touches

That second quarter was an abberation in which Barry probably touched the ball almost as much as he did any game total in the Denver series.

What they did in the second was partially due to chance, but it's something new that the Spurs started doing late in the 3rd and early in the 4th of game 5...letting Barry create a little more and using Beno as more of a shooter slasher...I like it. I hope it's something the Spurs continue to do as it is what I have been asking for all season.

But the touches in the other 3 quarters are more like what Barry usually gets when everyone is healthy....not much, the guys do not look for him.

I also wish Pop would not tell the Spurs to slow down the offense when the Spurs have clear break opportunities...there were 3 or 4 times Barry could have taken a pull up 3 or taken it to the basket, ahead of the rest of the team, but instead pulled up and waited to set up the offense...you want to know why he's different now from the player he was in Seattle...that's the difference.

Dre_7
05-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Better late then never.

Good to see him play well today!

bigbendbruisebrother
05-08-2005, 10:24 PM

You're insane. Here's what Hedont couldn't hit when he was a Spur:

http://www.countylineorchard.com/barn/history/pics/premove/broad_side_3_small.jpg

Useruser666
05-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Brent's touch count? I think what's important here is how many dribbles he gets.

Oops, forgot the :rolleyes :lol

T Park
05-08-2005, 10:31 PM
He actually TOOK shots tonight.

He also drove to the basket, outside of the fast breaks.

He did what we have all WANTED him to do.

Solid D
05-08-2005, 10:42 PM
You're insane. Here's what Hedont couldn't hit when he was a Spur:

http://www.countylineorchard.com/barn/history/pics/premove/broad_side_3_small.jpg

:rollin Favorite post of the night, right there.

ducks
05-08-2005, 10:46 PM
you actually counted it live instead of enjoying the game
I coudl see it watchign it the second time

whottt
05-08-2005, 10:50 PM
TPark...bullshit...

#1.The only time he drives is when he is running the point. Take it up with Pop. And I can find a quote by him saying the Spurs don't want him play that way the rest of the time. When asked why he wasn't taking Boykins to the hole...he said "that's not what the Spurs do".

#2. You can't do shit when you aren't getting the ball....he got it tonight, but really it was only in one quarter and it was a change in the philosophy of the Spurs, not Barry. My guess is that it's because Pop got tired of watching Beno cause 6- 9 point swings at the ends of quarters.

So we are back to square one...It's on the Spurs to involve him more they want the player he was in Seattle.

If you try to turn him into Steve Kerr or Fred Hoiberg...you get a poor imitation of them because that's not what he is....then again, it took Kerr 5 years and a trade to become what the Spurs wanted....

T Park
05-08-2005, 10:52 PM
[/QUOTE]#1.The only time he drives is when he is running the point. Take it up with Pop. And I can find a quote by him saying the Spurs don't want him play that way the rest of the time. When asked why he wasn't taking Boykins to the hole...he said "that's not what the Spurs do".
[QUOTE]

blah blah blah.

You took that quote way the fuck out of context.

Get the fuck off the guy's nuts already.

barrysucker.

whottt
ducks...I thoroughly enjoyed this game...you guys act like it's brain surgery or something...All you gotta do is watch and remember and type it in during the commercials. S'not hard....then again, making a coherent sentence is hard for you, so I guess I can understand why you would think this is challenging.

On top of that...I always watch the game this way...I always analyze what the Spurs are trying to do on offense and defense.

ducks
yeah the spurs need to run plays for him
but they do not for big dog or other players other then duncan

poor baby can not create for himself

whottt
05-08-2005, 10:57 PM
yeah the spurs need to run plays for him
but they do not for big dog or other players other then duncan

Watch many Spurs games? They run plays for Manu and Parker. They ran them somewhat for Hedo, and they definitely ran them for Jack. And Beno runs the point usually.

poor baby can not create for himself

He's not supposed to create...the Spurs don't want him to do that really, they want him to camp out at three to keep a defender out of the paint, so Parker, Manu and Duncan can have more room in there to operate. That's why he passes the second a defender steps towards him.

Like I thought...Barry haters really don't understand the game very well...they hate a guy that is playing team basketball.

You should be a LeBron James fan ducks...all dunks and threes...you have no apprciation for any other aspect of the game.

SequSpur
05-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Brent Barry is fixin 2 go off. Barn this.

T Park
05-08-2005, 11:04 PM
they want him to camp out at three to keep a defender out of the paint

They want him to do whatever he wants with the ball.

Drive to the hole, MAKE 3s.

He played a great game tonight no question.

BECAUSE HE WAS AGRESSIVE.

Nothing the Spurs did.

whottt
05-08-2005, 11:07 PM
No Tpark, they don't...

Do you honestly think Barry is playing the game he wants to play? Figure it the hell out...If he was playing the type of game he wanted to play he'd be taking pull up threes when he is open and has beaten the D....he'd push the ball to the hoop when he has the advantage.

Why the hell do you think he played his best basketball when Duncan was injured?

Just how long have you been a Spurs fan? The Spurs have a very strict offensive philosophy....get fucking real. They went away from it when Duncan was injured(and thank god because it sucked then)...but they are back to it.

I can't believe you are actually trying to say that they don't...

If you think Parker or Manu just naturally pull the ball up and wait for the team you are on crack as well...sometimes they run...but sometimes they don't and it's on Pop to decide when they run.

Running is fun...if you let the players play the type of game they want to play they will all play transition basketball they will run all the time...not this half court, pound it inside to Duncan game.

T Park
05-08-2005, 11:13 PM
change the whole offense for 1 brick laying overrated "deadeye"

makes sense.

T Park
05-08-2005, 11:14 PM
they don't...

guess you know more than Kori and LJ who actually talk to the players.

How obtuse of me.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Man oh man I hope you are being facetious.

whottt
05-08-2005, 11:16 PM
By the way TPark...I am still waiting for you guys to aplogize for saying Barry wasn't intentionally doubleteaming Melo in that one Denver game...he most certainly was double teaming as he was being told to do...

whottt
05-08-2005, 11:22 PM
guess you know more than Kori and LJ who actually talk to the players.

How obtuse of me.

Ok...show me the quote where the Spurs want Barry to do "whatever he wants to do" when he has the ball...

I must have missed that one...

C'mon mouth...you dug this hole for yourself...show me where they said that....

whottt
05-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Who knew that if Barry was left to his own devices, the type of game he loves to play is camping out at the 3 in the half court set....who knew? And to think he's holding the Spurs back on offense...

Thanks Tpark for clearing that up for me.

timvp
05-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Brent Barry playing well in a blowout? Yeah, we already knew he could do that. Look at game two of last series.

For having such a high "basketball IQ", he sure does make some stupid passes. There were two bad passes to Nazr that were horrible.

All in all, it was a fine performance by Barry. The game was over by the end of the first quarter, so it was his type of game.

Hopefully he'll bring it in a game that means something.

I think he can.

Believe.

whottt
05-09-2005, 12:27 AM
So let's see...when evaluating his stats, we take away his good games and count the bad ones, so we can make it look like he performed worse than Hedo.

When he plays well, it's a meaningless game, even if it's in a game after we have dropped the first game, at home, to the hottest team in the NBA.

Got it...it only counts when Barry sucks.

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 12:28 AM
all legit points TIMVP. However, I'm having trouble understanding your opinion of Barry. Will you answer one question for me.

What does Barry have to do in the playoffs in order for you to say you were wrong about him?

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:29 AM
What does Barry have to do in the playoffs in order for you to say you were wrong about him?

ill answer that.

TAKE AND MAKE shots in a close game.

AKA, like game 3 and 4 against Denver.

Tonight he was good, and BTW, WHottt, you want a link to me saying pop gave him the green light, show me the link to where they intentionally doubled Melo. Thanks.

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 12:34 AM
ill answer that.

TAKE AND MAKE shots in a close game.

AKA, like game 3 and 4 against Denver.

Tonight he was good, and BTW, WHottt, you want a link to me saying pop gave him the green light, show me the link to where they intentionally doubled Melo. Thanks.

Game 3 and 4 against Denver are over, so does that mean barry can't do right by you? Or do you think he'll never hit a big shot in a close game during these playoffs, and if he does you'll say you were wrong about him?

Please clarify.

timvp
05-09-2005, 12:42 AM
So let's see...when evaluating his stats, we take away his good games and count the bad ones, so we can make it look like he performed worse than Hedo.

When he plays well, it's a meaningless game, even if it's in a game after we have dropped the first game, at home, to the hottest team in the NBA.

Got it...it only counts when Barry sucks.

When the Spurs are up by 80 points, it doesn't really matter if Barry hits that three in the fourth quarter. You know what I mean. This isn't brain surgery.

Can Barry produce in a close playoff game? Does Barry being on the court help the team out even if he isn't making shots?

Oh and by the way, that other Barry thread has been awaiting your response for a good three days now.

Thanks.

red kryptonite
05-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Brent Barry plays very stupid basketball. Those two passes to Nazr (timvp mentioned) were terrible. He looks lost out on the court. He made some layups in transition and hit a wide open three.

He hasn't been there all season.

Looks like a bust FA for the Spurs.

I'm hoping Devin starts taking his minutes.

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:46 AM
so does that mean barry can't do right by you? Or do you think he'll never hit a big shot in a close game during these playoffs, and if he does you'll say you were wrong about him?

wtf, Im rooting for this guy, i have been since day 1.

I WANT him to be agressive, I WANT him to shoot when he is open.

I want to see him do it say, on the road, up 4, and in the end of the 3rd or middle of the 4th, to stretch a lead out and bury his opponent.

I have always believed he could make clutch shots, Phoenix proved that to me, and him making the game winner VS the Lakers did that too.

But, his reluctance to shoot, aka OT in game 4, was disturbing.

I WANT him to WANT to take shots, not just "Pass" around the ball.

Popovich has said many times he has the green light and that any shot by Barry is a great shot.

he needs to shoot at least 9 to 10 times a game easily.

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 12:53 AM
wtf, Im rooting for this guy, i have been since day 1.

I WANT him to be agressive, I WANT him to shoot when he is open.

I want to see him do it say, on the road, up 4, and in the end of the 3rd or middle of the 4th, to stretch a lead out and bury his opponent.

I have always believed he could make clutch shots, Phoenix proved that to me, and him making the game winner VS the Lakers did that too.

But, his reluctance to shoot, aka OT in game 4, was disturbing.

I WANT him to WANT to take shots, not just "Pass" around the ball..

I agree, he needs to be more aggressive. Few times tonight he could have just taken the ball to the hoop and scored or gotten fouled, but instead he made two dumb passes to Nazr.

Popovich has said many times he has the green light and that any shot by Barry is a great shot.

he needs to shoot at least 9 to 10 times a game easily

xcoriate
05-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Brent Barry playing well in a blowout? Yeah, we already knew he could do that. Look at game two of last series.

You think the fact that we have a blow out could in some way be attributed to the fact Barry is having a good game?

Question

timvp
05-09-2005, 12:57 AM
You think the fact that we have a blow out could in some way be attributed to the fact Barry is having a good game?

Question

Good point.

But the Spurs were up by 12 the first time he re-entered the game and then up by 20 the second time he came in. When he left for Manu in the first quarter, the Spurs were up by six.

So basically, the game was over during most of his meaningful minutes.

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:58 AM
another new can of worms, damnt TIMVP lol.....

timvp
05-09-2005, 01:01 AM
all legit points TIMVP. However, I'm having trouble understanding your opinion of Barry. Will you answer one question for me.

To say I was wrong about him? Well if he comes up big in big games, then I'd say it was a huge offseason success. If he only shows up in blowouts, then I'd say the Spurs made a mistake. Although, I'd even settle for Whotttt stats that show that the Spurs are better with him in even if he isn't producing stats.

The bar isn't set too high. Either produce with numbers or have the team play well with him on the court and I'll be sold. Until then, I'll question why Whottt is in man-love with him for no apparent reason.

Make sense?

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Id love to see him bag a couple of dagger 3s in Seattle to stretch leads.

That would change my opinion.

That or, faking the shot driving and pulling up for a shot, or going to the basket and getting an AND 1.

All three things, he is very talented at doing.

JUST DO IT BRENT!!!!!!!!

timvp
05-09-2005, 01:03 AM
By the way, Brent Barry scored his first points in the fourth quarter for the playoffs tonight.

Congrats.

:smokin

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:05 AM
To stretch the lead from 17 to 20.

He actually bagged a big shot, thats right....

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 01:06 AM
To say I was wrong about him? Well if he comes up big in big games, then I'd say it was a huge offseason success. If he only shows up in blowouts, then I'd say the Spurs made a mistake. Although, I'd even settle for Whotttt stats that show that the Spurs are better with him in even if he isn't producing stats.

The bar isn't set too high. Either produce with numbers or have the team play well with him on the court and I'll be sold. Until then, I'll question why Whottt is in man-love with him for no apparent reason.

Make sense?
So if he hits a few robert horry type clutch threes then you'll say you were wrong about him , or if he doens't hit clutch threes you were wrong? Or are you trying to prove to Whott that Brent isn't the all world guard that he think brent is?

timvp
05-09-2005, 01:11 AM
I just want Whottt to prove what he's been saying. He says that he can statistically prove that the Spurs are better with Barry in the game even if Barry doesn't do anything but pass. I called him on it and now he's trying to ignore it.

When Barry hits some big threes, I don't know if that "proves" me wrong or right. Actually, I don't care. I want him to play well. But when he isn't, I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke like our friend Whottt is doing.

To me, Barry has been little more than a placeholder in the playoffs. To Whottt, he's been a huge part and the Spurs have gone in huge droughts with him off the court. He said he had numbers to back it up. That's what I want. If he produces the numbers, I'll give him credit.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Barry has been little more than a placeholder in the playoffs

That was all he was in 4 out of 5 games of the Nuggets series thats for DAMN sure.

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 01:16 AM
I just want Whottt to prove what he's been saying. He says that he can statistically prove that the Spurs are better with Barry in the game even if Barry doesn't do anything but pass. I called him on it and now he's trying to ignore it.

When Barry hits some big threes, I don't know if that "proves" me wrong or right. Actually, I don't care. I want him to play well. But when he isn't, I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke like our friend Whottt is doing.

To me, Barry has been little more than a placeholder in the playoffs. To Whottt, he's been a huge part and the Spurs have gone in huge droughts with him off the court. He said he had numbers to back it up. That's what I want. If he produces the numbers, I'll give him credit.
Barry hasn't done much at all. He should follow what Grob is doing and just score. Only pass when you're at the bucket with 3 people on you. I think Brent hits some big threes for us, it's in his blood.

timvp
05-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Barry hasn't done much at all. He should follow what Grob is doing and just score. Only pass when you're at the bucket with 3 people on you. I think Brent hits some big threes for us, it's in his blood.

That's pretty much my stance. Well said.

Now you understand why I'm confused when Whottt makes claims such as:

If told you guys what the +/- break down was in the second half of games after we pullled Barry, you guys would think I hated just about every Spur...

Virtually every time we pulled him the Nuggets made a run on us...a substantial run.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:26 AM
My stance as well.

I think he can make the shots, I think he can make any shot that he takes.

I think when agressive, this team is unbeatable.

Why is that so bad.

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 01:27 AM
Virtually every time we pulled him the Nuggets made a run on us...a substantial run.

that's some delusional shit right there.

red kryptonite
05-09-2005, 01:28 AM
My stance as well.

I think he can make the shots, I think he can make any shot that he takes.

Why is that so bad.

Isn't that true about anybody? I want people like Devin Brown, Manu, Glenn Robinson, and Stephen Jackson to shoot the ball - guys who I think will make the basket, not guys I hope make it.

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 01:32 AM

forget about barry making the team unbeatable, it's when TP scores 20 or more that makes the team virtually unbeatable. TP is like 20 times more important to the teams success than barry.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:33 AM
TP is like 20 times more important to the teams success than barry.

true, but if Brent Barry is driving and bagging 3s, GD this is a tough mofo of a team to play.

fonzy16
05-09-2005, 02:00 AM
Whott watching the game:
"Touch the Ball! Touch the Ball! Touch the Ball!"

:lmao

Useruser666
05-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Barry's stats from last night.

11 points
3 rebounds
1 assist
2 fouls
1 turnover
37 touches
32 dribbles
14 fakes
28 passes
394 steps
1,074 breaths
6 towel offs
5,193 blinks
7 cups of Gatorade

picnroll
05-09-2005, 10:49 AM
... and did number two at half time.

Solid D
05-09-2005, 10:51 AM
:rollin @ Useruser, picnroll and fonz.

exstatic
05-09-2005, 10:53 AM
I choose not to read whottt's posts. Is this how many times he touches himself with Brent in the game? Ewww. TMI.

gilmor
05-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Gut feel : Stephen Jackson >> Brent Barry..