PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed Nowitzki may test market

Danny.Zhu
04-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Welcome to San Antonio...

SAN ANTONIO -- Dirk Nowitzki's return to the Dallas Mavericks is no slam dunk. He could join the superstar-loaded free agency class this summer.

Nowitzki had never left much doubt that he'd stay in Dallas until the Mavericks' season ended Thursday night with a 97-87 Game 6 loss to the San Antonio Spurs. He can opt out of his contract this summer, which he indicated he would consider after the Mavericks exited in the first round for the third time in four seasons.

"I wanted to obviously have a long playoff run and go for my dream again," said Nowitzki, who would make $21.5 million next season if he doesn't opt out of his contract. "Now it's obviously too shocking and too disappointing. I haven't really thought about anything about my future yet. I guess I've got some time now to think about some stuff and think about my options.

"We'll just have to wait and see. Like I said, everything is too fresh now."

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban declined to answer questions via e-mail about Nowitzki's comments.

Nowitzki has said on several occasions that winning a championship wouldn't be as meaningful if he did it with a team other than the Mavericks. He's played his entire 12-season career in Dallas, serving as the cornerstone of a franchise that is one of only four in NBA history to have 10 consecutive 50-win seasons.

However, the Mavericks are the only franchise in that group that didn't win multiple championships.

The Mavericks blew a golden opportunity to win a title in 2006, when they failed to win another game after jumping out to a 2-0 lead over the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals. Since then, the Mavericks' only playoff series win came in the first round against the injury-ravaged Spurs last season.

"As much as I'm disappointed for the team and for Mark [Cuban] and for myself, I'm even more disappointed for Dirk, because a lot of this was about trying to get him to a point where he could realize the dream," coach Rick Carlisle said. "The window is still open, but this is a tough blow."

Tim MacMahon covers the Mavericks for ESPN Dallas. You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his weekly mailbag.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5150280&campaign=rss&source=DALLASHeadlines

BlackSwordsMan
04-30-2010, 12:11 AM
to the spurs

oh crap
04-30-2010, 12:11 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

if this happens, dallas goes right back to being the doormat to the NBA. do it, dirk!

badfish22
04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
:depressed

spursfan1000
04-30-2010, 12:14 AM
LOL @ Cuban if Nowitzki decides to opt out.

oh crap
04-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Consecutive 50-win seasons
Team Start End Years High Low Titles
Boston '58-59 '67-68 10 62-18 ('64-65) 52-20 ('58-59) 9 ('59-66, '68)
LA Lakers '79-80 '90-91 12 65-17 ('86-87) 54-28 (twice) 5 ('80, '82, '85, '87-88)
San Antonio* '99-00 '08-09 10 63-19 ('05-06) 53-29 ('99-00) 3 ('03, '05, '07)
Dallas** '00-01 '09-10 10 67-15 ('06-07) 50-32 ('08-09) --

DJ Mbenga
04-30-2010, 12:15 AM
miami has a vacant spot for a player

Darthkiller
04-30-2010, 12:15 AM
dirk opts out to sign for vet min in dallas so cuban can sign Wade.

Wade+Dirk

Cane
04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Like what TNT said earlier tonight...why would Dirk want to opt out of $20+ million dollars?

badfish22
04-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Like what TNT said earlier tonight...why would Dirk want to opt out of $20+ million dollars?

Hes got enough money.

Drachen
04-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Opt out, then use Richard Jefferson for a S&T. LOL, just kidding, I know that would be greedy.

Kai
04-30-2010, 12:22 AM
he's not opting out of 21 million

badfish22
04-30-2010, 12:22 AM
They've always been the doormat.

rofl live it up now. Soon you will be joining us on this here fishing boat.

jonnybravo
04-30-2010, 12:28 AM

European players/foreign players tend to have a different set of sensibilities.

phyzik
04-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Unlikely, but can you imagine a Duncan and Dirk tandem, never mind Parker and ginobili???

Sick!

Lars
04-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Orlando is the only team I could see him working well on.

kobyz
04-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Dirk best option will be Chicago, they have max contract to give and he exactly the player they need to become championship caliber team, he will have there a young superstar PG beside him in Rose, a defensive center to accomplish him in Noah and a bunch of good role players in Deng, Hinrich, Gibson.

baseline bum
04-30-2010, 12:39 AM

Even to sign a 3 year max deal before the lockout slashes salaries next year?

dallaskd
04-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Dirk has served Dallas well. Dont want to see him go but if he does, all the gates open for Dallas to sign another super star.

lurker
04-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Maybe he won't, but he's been hinting at opting out and re-signing with the Mavs for less money for two years now. He's not a very money driven person.

namlook
04-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Dirk won't opt out. Cuban put players around him and assembled a good roster.

jonnybravo
04-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Sign for the MLE with the Lakers and lead our bench dirk!

Instant offense!

DAF86
04-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Dirk isn't going anywhere.

lil_penny
04-30-2010, 01:15 AM
i call dibs!!! get at this man portland!!!

Cane
04-30-2010, 01:21 AM
Maybe he just wants Cuban to give him a long term deal before the CBA as well...

MannyIsGod
04-30-2010, 01:25 AM
Dirk has served Dallas well. Dont want to see him go but if he does, all the gates open for Dallas to sign another super star.

:lmao

Who the fuck are you going to sign that is half the player Dirk is.

badfish22
04-30-2010, 01:27 AM

Who the fuck are you going to sign that is half the player Dirk is.

Absolutely no one. Anyone who is hoping for Wade or Lebron should lower their expectations.

Johnny RIngo
04-30-2010, 01:34 AM
Dirk shouldn't ruin his legacy by leaving Dallas. Stick with the team that drafted you instead of being a ring-chasing faggot like Malone/Garnett.

vander
04-30-2010, 01:34 AM
:lol we couldn't fit him under the cap even if Jefferson opted out

would be a great fit here though, we need someone who can get off a high percentage shot any time he wants, perfect for those cold spells we suffer so often

phyzik
04-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Yeah... I dont see Dirk leaving Dallas unless its a chance to play with Lebron on a max deal.....

Still, I can dream that Dick Jefferson opts out and we drop Mason and bonner and hand Dirk around $20 million to come to the Spurs....

Let me dream...

I would love to think if...... IF...... the Spurs can win another championship, Dirk might consider it.

Tim, Dirk, Manu, Tony and Hill.... :wow

04-30-2010, 01:51 AM
i know dirk has always been loyal to cuban and the mavs but he should really consider opting out. first, he will be able to get a nice max contract for at least 3 more years before the CBA expires. seriously, that's like a no brainer. every team with cap space will be begging to offer him the max. second, instead of waiting for the mavs to acquire a viable sidekick, he can just join wade in miami and enjoy 3 years of instant contender status with pat riley. or go to the bulls with rose, noah, and the rest of the young crowd. third, his time is running out and he might just fall off the cliff pretty soon, which is still pretty good but whoever the mavs manage to get might be too little too late.

lastly, the mavs are weighed down by some pretty bad contracts. they have kidd at $8.5 million for two more years, marion for 4 more years, and terry for 2 more. these three players take up around $26 million and good luck trading any of them. dirk can start fresh on another team rather than look at the faces of failure for 2-4 more years.

boston.balla
04-30-2010, 04:27 AM
dirk's priorities are not money. He's not one of the native players that need a max to play. Dirk could as well sign for 10 mil 4 years with a team where he has a chance to play something serious.

John Terry
04-30-2010, 04:39 AM
Paper garbage... Only by re-signing with Mavs can he possibly get a maximum contract, his last one 90% likely. I wish he would bend over to join Spurs with a drastic salary cut, I just don't see it happening b/c he's one fucking professional athlete who makes a living playing basketball. money always has to come first for em IMHO. Maybe several years later Dirk will consider dedicating finance for rings, like Gary Payton did in Miami in 06, but that ain't going to happen before his 35th birthday.

I-Ball
04-30-2010, 04:51 AM
dirk's priorities are not money. He's not one of the native players that need a max to play. Dirk could as well sign for 10 mil 4 years with a team where he has a chance to play something serious.

+1
my guess is that dirk will stay one more year. give the FO the chance to improve the roster by using damps contract (+ stevensons contract and maybe butlers contract and/or Roddy B).

he won't opt out and leave dallas for nothing to chase a ring. IF he feels that it is time to move on, i expect that he either asks to be traded (if possible with his 20m contract) straight or him opting out and agreeing to a sign and trade.
i could see cuban agreeing to both cases if dirk is talking to him.

cuban and dirk have a special relationship. i don't know if you can say they are friends, but at least utmost respect. (dirk is always loyal, honest, humble and a role model as a pro. cuban always defend his players. cared/ stood by dirks side during the crystal taylor affair. accepted dirks wish to play for the national team and so on).

Sportstudi
04-30-2010, 06:08 AM

Dirk doesn't care about money. I wouldn't be surprised to see him opt out and sign one last deal (4-5 years on whichever team) for less money than he could get.

mystargtr34
04-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Why wouldn't Dirk opt out of his final year and $21M when he could sign a max extension before the new CBA kicks in. I think he could choose to secure his future with a longer deal even if it means he has to sacrifice that extra $4-5M in the first year.

But Dirk comes across as a real loyal guy, so i think in the end he works out a new deal with Dallas.

LnGrrrR
04-30-2010, 07:11 AM
I think Dirk is too loyal to leave the Mavs ownership and the fans. Which kinda sucks.

I could DEFINITELY see Dirk leaving for another team at the end of his career and helping carry them to a title, and then Dallas throwing a mini-parade for him, as Boston did with Ray Bourque.

MiamiHeat
04-30-2010, 07:14 AM
LOL

HEAT SIGN NOWITZKI

WADE + DIRK

oh the irony

DO IT RILES!

John Terry
04-30-2010, 07:23 AM
+1
my guess is that dirk will stay one more year. give the FO the chance to improve the roster by using damps contract (+ stevensons contract and maybe butlers contract and/or Roddy B).

he won't opt out and leave dallas for nothing to chase a ring. IF he feels that it is time to move on, i expect that he either asks to be traded (if possible with his 20m contract) straight or him opting out and agreeing to a sign and trade.
i could see cuban agreeing to both cases if dirk is talking to him.

cuban and dirk have a special relationship. i don't know if you can say they are friends, but at least utmost respect. (dirk is always loyal, honest, humble and a role model as a pro. cuban always defend his players. cared/ stood by dirks side during the crystal taylor affair. accepted dirks wish to play for the national team and so on).

If I were Mavs fan I'd prefer the scenario that Dirk opts out and stays signing a long contract. the Mavs will at least remain a playoff team for the coming years with Dirk playing in Allas, and it won't be Dirk's rights to choose to stay or leave during this span no matter how far they can grapple to go in playoffs.

John Terry
04-30-2010, 07:27 AM
LOL

HEAT SIGN NOWITZKI

WADE + DIRK

oh the irony

DO IT RILES!

LOL Miami CHEAT

LOL purloined rings

LOL rigged games

LOL D-Whistle

LOL 0-4 sweep the very next year post *championship*

LOL Florida peninsula

LOL Latarian Milton

LOL hoodrat stuffs

MiamiHeat
04-30-2010, 07:27 AM
if this is at ALL true

Pat Riley is already planning to try and grab him

the Heat will probably offer dirk a max contract before going after bosh

if Dirk is smart, he will join Wade in Miami. They have a history (LOL) and with dirk's 2nd option help, Wade will carry Dirk to a ring.

John Terry
04-30-2010, 07:38 AM
if this is at ALL true

if Dirk is smart, he will join Wade in Miami. They have a history (LOL) and with dirk's 2nd option help, Wade will carry Dirk to a ring.

Dirk would be a bitch if he joined Miami IMHO. It'd be just like one rape victim choosing to marry the rapist after getting raped. Dirk is soft & sentimental but I don't see him bitchy enough to let your presumption come true TBH.

MiamiHeat
04-30-2010, 07:42 AM
dirk is a soft ass bitch. he's a 7 footer who plays like he's 6'4

ever heard of "If you can't beat em, join em"

Miami has the money to make it happen. Dirk will retire ringless if he stays in Dallas. It's over.

pauls931
04-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Give you Jrich and Dudley for him, LOL... then

Nash
Amare
Dirk
G Hill
White Fro

bench would be hurt somewhat

Dragic
Barbacoa
Clumbsy Center
Amundsun

Screw it we'll give you Jrich and Barbacoa for him...

I guess this would mean Dirk not opting out then a trade...

Rogue
04-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Give you Jrich and Dudley for him, LOL... then

Nash
Amare
Dirk
G Hill
White Fro

bench would be hurt somewhat

Dragic
Barbacoa
Clumbsy Center
Amundsun

Screw it we'll give you Jrich and Barbacoa for him...

I guess this would mean Dirk not opting out then a trade...
FUCK OFF, YOU dumb calf ass

Muser
04-30-2010, 08:09 AM
if this is at ALL true

That would be a huge bitch move.

pauls931
04-30-2010, 09:10 AM
FUCK OFF, YOU dumb calf ass

Enjoy fishing, Rogue.

Basketballgirl25
04-30-2010, 09:14 AM
I might be the only person who wouldn't want Nowitzki on my team, just because then it would bring all those stupid Nowitzki fans and I hate those types

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2010, 09:32 AM
why should he opt out ? 20m is alot of money

and if the clubs that missed out on signin the top stars FA this summer, they will save the cap and head back in the following summer when dirk can still test the water

Shank
04-30-2010, 09:37 AM
He doesn't need the money. If they can bait a big-time FA, I could see him being the sort of guy that gives up his share of pay to the new guy. At this point in his career, the ring is the only thing he wants. Unlike other players, it's not about the money right now.

And he's not signing with the Spurs. Quit bringing that up.

RandomGuy
04-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Unlikely, but can you imagine a Duncan and Dirk tandem, never mind Parker and ginobili???

Sick!

Well, someone will have to pick up after Tim retires.

I know we don't like to think about the prospect, but it WILL happen eventually that Mr. D gets a well-earned retirement.

Dirk seems to me to be a good fit for the Spurs, but I would be the first to admit my instincts about such things is far from perfect.

Thoughts?

djohn2oo8
04-30-2010, 09:42 AM
He doesn't need the money. If they can bait a big-time FA, I could see him being the sort of guy that gives up his share of pay to the new guy. At this point in his career, the ring is the only thing he wants. Unlike other players, it's not about the money right now.

And he's not signing with the Spurs. Quit bringing that up.

Which big time free agent could they really lure? Bosh said that he doesn't want to play in Dallas, LeBron staying, Wade staying, maybe Joe Johnson?

Joe might leave, especially if the Hawks lose to the Bucks. Whatever happens, the Knicks are gonna get gangbanged, kinda like Lakaluva

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 09:43 AM
If this is not the biggest kick to the junk for Mav fans...

RandomGuy
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM

I would agree. At some point for any big star, money becomes less of a consideration than "who will get me a championship ring?".

I think Dirk is at that point.

Shank
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Which big time free agent could they really lure? Bosh said that he doesn't want to play in Dallas, LeBron staying, Wade staying, maybe Joe Johnson?

Joe might leave, especially if the Hawks lose to the Bucks. Whatever happens, the Knicks are gonna get gangbanged, kinda like Lakaluva

I think Johnson would be an ideal target. I don't think they're equipped for any of the top-shelf guys.

djohn2oo8
04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
I think Dirk will stay, it's kinda hard imagining him in another uniform

Shank
04-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I think Dirk will stay, it's kinda hard imagining him in another uniform

He's mad loyal. I'd put the % of him leaving at 5% or less. He wants to bring a championship to the organization and the Mavs fans.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-30-2010, 09:47 AM

This. I think Dirk's got the same thirst for winning that got Duncan to leave money on the table. Maybe even more so as some desperation starts creeping in. He's a loyal guy and I've got a lot of respect for him not throwing his whole damn team under the bus after he was the only one that showed up for every game of this series. The one question that might linger is if that loyalty can overcome the pattern of recent years. Does he really want to take a pay cut to make cap space for a team that used it time and time and time again to bring in guys who let him down in the playoffs? Or a coach that looked heavily outmatch by Pop?

I think that loyalty will show through and he won't go anywhere, but you never know.

djohn2oo8
04-30-2010, 09:51 AM
This. I think Dirk's got the same thirst for winning that got Duncan to leave money on the table. Maybe even more so as some desperation starts creeping in. He's a loyal guy and I've got a lot of respect for him not throwing his whole damn team under the bus after he was the only one that showed up for every game of this series. The one question that might linger is if that loyalty can overcome the pattern of recent years. Does he really want to take a pay cut to make cap space for a team that used it time and time and time again to bring in guys who let him down in the playoffs? Or a coach that looked heavily outmatch by Pop?

I think that loyalty will show through and he won't go anywhere, but you never know.

The thing is, I don't think the CBA allows players to opt out and take less money

in2deep
04-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Dirk already was being nice to Pop and Duncan. He wants to come to the Spurs

I-Ball
04-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Dirk already was being nice to Pop and Duncan. He wants to come to the Spurs

dirk is always nice. that doesn't mean anything.

Spurtacus
04-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Dirk will only opt out to take less money.

spursfan1000
04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
If Dirk tests free agency...can he still get a 21 mil contract from Cuban?

easy7
04-30-2010, 12:48 PM

You tell him KK...

DJ Mbenga
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
he will stay and take the money.

WildcardManu
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Dirk shouldn't ruin his legacy by leaving Dallas. Stick with the team that drafted you instead of being a ring-chasing faggot like Malone/Garnett.

Drafted 1998: 1st Rnd, 9th by MIL

Nothing wrong with wanting to win. Like the saying goes "If you can't beat them, join them". Spurs instant contenders with Tim/Dirk combo. Do it.

RedRaider
04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Wade+Dirk would mean Wade is the star and Dirk is the co-star/ role player. If that actually happened, Dallas would win an NBA title. Only thing is, Dirk will not give up his role as the solo star player on the team.

Sportstudi
04-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Wade+Dirk would mean Wade is the star and Dirk is the co-star/ role player. If that actually happened, Dallas would win an NBA title. Only thing is, Dirk will not give up his role as the solo star player on the team.

Actually, I think you're wrong here. I'm sure Dirk has absolutely no problem to play the second fiddle if it helps the team. He's a team player, not an egocentric guy.

Sportstudi
04-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Drafted 1998: 1st Rnd, 9th by MIL

Nothing wrong with wanting to win. Like the saying goes "If you can't beat them, join them". Spurs instant contenders with Tim/Dirk combo. Do it.

You could also switch the Spurs with Orlando. If Dirk gets such a player in Dallas or if he decides to move, it doesn't matter. Pair him with a dominant low post player and this combo is close to unstoppable.

redzero
04-30-2010, 03:10 PM
i call dibs!!! get at this man portland!!!

You already have LaMarcus Aldridge.
:rollin

duncan228
04-30-2010, 03:31 PM
In the Wake of Another Early Playoff Exit, What Is Dirk Nowitzki’s Legacy? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-inthewakeofanotherea)
SportingNews

Last night’s Mavs loss represented Dirk Nowitzki’s third first-round loss in the last four seasons. That’s a tough outcome for any of the league’s superstars, let alone one who’s often received (unfounded) criticism for choking in the postseason.

It’s enough to make you wonder if Dirk will fail to exercise his player option this summer and become a free agent. His comments after the game didn’t do much to disprove that opinion. From ESPNDallas.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5150280):

"I wanted to obviously have a long playoff run and go for my dream again," said Nowitzki, who would make $21.5 million next season if he doesn’t opt out of his contract. "Now it’s obviously too shocking and too disappointing. I haven’t really thought about anything about my future yet. I guess I’ve got some time now to think about some stuff and think about my options.

"We’ll just have to wait and see. Like I said, everything is too fresh now."

Some outlets have taken this to mean that Dirk might leave this summer, but I’m with ProBasketballTalk’s Kurt Helin in thinking that there’s no way he’ll leave Dallas (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/nowitzki-isnt-rethinking-dallas-hes-just-frustrated.php). For better or worse, he’s essentially synonymous with Dallas Basketball at this point and feels quite comfortable there. Both sides will want to stay together.

However, that does make you consider what Dirk’s legacy will be. He’s the face of the resurgence of the Mavericks (or, given their history, maybe just the franchise’s surgence), so it’s not as if he’ll go down as a failure. At the same time, though, he’s now gone several seasons without much postseason success. Could he go down as a disappointment even as he’s acknowledged as the best player in franchise history and top European in league history?

When you list his accomplishments, it seems silly to think Dirk will be seen as somehow lacking an ineffable greatness in 10 years time. Yes, he’ll almost certainly never be the best player on a championship team, but there are any number of all-time greats you could say that about.

This is all a long way of saying that while Dirk might not be as the same level as Dwyane Wade or Kobe Bryant, he’ll still go down in history as a genuine pioneer and a certain Hall of Famer. Let’s acknowledge him for what he is, not what he isn’t.

TampaDude
04-30-2010, 03:58 PM
If Dirk leaves Dallas, he's going to an East team.

jonnybravo
04-30-2010, 04:48 PM
LOL

HEAT SIGN NOWITZKI

WADE + DIRK

oh the irony

DO IT RILES!

That would be sick.

Chillen
05-01-2010, 04:31 AM
Dirk best option will be Chicago, they have max contract to give and he exactly the player they need to become championship caliber team, he will have there a young superstar PG beside him in Rose, a defensive center to accomplish him in Noah and a bunch of good role players in Deng, Hinrich, Gibson.

I think Dirk will stay put and not opt out, I mean he won't make $20 mill anyplace else for 1 season, he'd have to take a paycut and he is probably loyal to the franchise after playing his whole career there. I must admit that Nowitzki on the Bulls with Noah, Rose, Deng, Hinrich, Gibson would put Chicago on the list as one of the best teams in the East. I think Chicago wants Bosh really bad, they are in hot pursuit to land him in the offseason.

LakerHater
05-01-2010, 07:28 PM

You Mav fan are funny!
Getting beat 3 outta the last 4 years in the 1st round!!
& keep sayin things like "you'll be joining us" or "you'll be here", or things like that!!!