PDA

View Full Version : George hill's ballhandling and shots

sexinthatsx
04-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Is it just me or is it becoming more apparent that George Hill is becoming a clone of Tony Parker except a slightly bigger version? I mean, if you watch throughout this whole Dallas playoff series, George Hill has mimicked the same hesitation dribble move that made me think it was TP for a quick second. Even his midrange jump shots look like Tony's. Nevertheless, props to Hill... this guy is F'ing amazing.

kace
04-30-2010, 01:25 AM
and he's making 12 M less......

spursfaninla
04-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Hill is a much better defender and 3pt shooter. Parker gets to the hole (way) easier, and I think is a better passer.

They are both fast, but tony is still faster. Tony has shown he is not afraid to take big shots in the 4th, and made them for us tonight. Hill scored 10 in the 4th, with 3pt shots, falling out of bounds mid-range, and driving to the hoop off the ball. Both were excellent and complement each other because they do have different strengths.

PuttPutt
04-30-2010, 01:37 AM
He's probably learned a lot from guarding TP in practice. And it's helped. Pop & the rest of the veterans are teaching him well.

Doe
04-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Hill is a much better defender and 3pt shooter. Parker gets to the hole (way) easier, and I think is a better passer.

They are both fast, but tony is still faster. Tony has shown he is not afraid to take big shots in the 4th, and made them for us tonight. Hill scored 10 in the 4th, with 3pt shots, falling out of bounds mid-range, and driving to the hoop off the ball. Both were excellent and complement each other because they do have different strengths.

I disagree that he's a better defender, it would probably be more accurate to say he's a different defender. No one looked really good on Beaubois tonight but Hill was absolutely horrible on him. It shows the one area that Hill still struggles with; quick guards in the pick-and-roll. I think Parker does a much better job, likely because he has better lateral quickness. Hill looks better on 2 guards and his rebounding has seemed to pick up as of late.

But I agree it's nice to have a player like Hill who can complement TP. It's also great that Hill has finally learned to play effectively with Manu.

jag
04-30-2010, 01:40 AM
The only people comparing the games of tp and hill are the ones who don't know dick about basketball. Their games are nothing alike.

This would get really ugly if George had to run the offense.

sexinthatsx
04-30-2010, 01:57 AM
The only people comparing the games of tp and hill are the ones who don't know dick about basketball. Their games are nothing alike.

I didn't mean clone as in the exact player, but he definitely took some moves from TP's playbook.

Flux451
04-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Jag, gettin a little testy.

TP has definitely rubbed off on Hill. As Goran from Nash

Manufan909
04-30-2010, 02:13 AM

Care to explain, oh wise sensei? :worthy:

jag
04-30-2010, 02:21 AM
Care to explain, oh wise sensei? :worthy:

Whenever hill does well Spurs fan starts to think that Hill should be running the offense. People need to realize how and why Hill is playing so well. He's mostly playing off of the big 3. He's getting open looks and little attention from opposing defenses.

Hill has a difficult time creating for teammates. If you guys think Tony isn't good enough as a playmaker...then Hill would probably make you want to punch a baby.

Even when Tony was out and Hill was playing pg, Hill wasn't actually playing point. Manu was handling everything in the half court. All in all, their games are very different.

jag
04-30-2010, 02:23 AM
I love George...but i realize what his limitations are.

Ignignokt
04-30-2010, 02:24 AM
Both of them are not true pgs.

Both of them are more combo guards.

JaG is being petty.

jag
04-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Both of them are not true pgs.

Both of them are more combo guards.

JaG is being petty.

Tony has been playing pg since he was 14. George has been playing sg since he was in high school.

George is a much better shooter and plays a different kind of defense than tony.

Tony is a much better finisher in the lane and is much better at getting in the lane and using that to create for teammates.

If their games were so similar, then they wouldn't get so many minutes together. They wouldn't complement each other so well.

Solid take.

Ignignokt
04-30-2010, 02:35 AM
Tony has been playing pg since he was 14. George has been playing sg since he was in high school.

George is a much better shooter and plays a different kind of defense than tony.

Tony is a much better finisher in the lane and is much better at getting in the lane and using that to create for teammates.

If their games were so similar, then they wouldn't get so many minutes together. They wouldn't complement each other so well.

Solid take.

That's like comparing Lebron to Kobe.. but it happens all the time.

Do you feel special?

jag
04-30-2010, 02:37 AM
That's like comparing Lebron to Kobe.. but it happens all the time.

Do you feel special?

Haha alright.

The ADMIRAL 50
04-30-2010, 02:40 AM

They are both fast, but tony is still faster.

i think in terms of comparison between the two, spursfaninla is spot on.

its clear to me hill will never be an exceptional passer or floor general, but its even clearer that what we have in him is an absolute beast. his mid-range (and three point) shot are both already there, way more than tony had in his second year, and will only get better, and with his speed, athleticism, and a couple things my friends and i refer to as his freak-arms, he's only gonna become a better slasher and finisher. we have all seen how he can just go off, and as the big three continue to age and we rely on him more and more there is no doubt in my mind he can shoulder more of the scoring load, develop into a 20+ ppg player and eventually become our primary scorer.

all that said about his potential offensively, the guy has spur written all over him, works hard, wants to improve, and is an absolute pest to opponents on d. i'm not ready to say he'll become a bruce-esque perennial DPOY award candidate, but you look at the length, the athleticism, and the talent already there, and i think its a given he has the upside of at least becoming on of the leagues top perimeter defenders.

gotta love what our FO can do with a late first round pick, and gotta love the fact g hill will hopefully be a spur for years to come

Ignignokt
04-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Haha alright.

great. You have 4000 posts, everyone loves you on an anonymous message board, you have "safe" takes when discussing bball, and you're the unofficial bball knowledge regulator. Is there anyone on earth who wouldn't want to trade what they have for your awesome life?

jag
04-30-2010, 02:50 AM
great. You have 4000 posts, everyone loves you on an anonymous message board, you have "safe" takes when discussing bball, and you're the unofficial bball knowledge regulator. Is there anyone on earth who wouldn't want to trade what they have for your awesome life?

Haha i have less than 1 more posts per day than you, so Im not exactly sure why you're talking post smack. And I'm not exactly sure why you're following me around and following my posts.

You made a stupid thread about Dirk and no one in that thread agreed with you. I didn't realize i would hurt your feelings by calling you out. My bad, guy.

Ignignokt
04-30-2010, 02:56 AM
Haha i have less than 1 more posts per day than you, so Im not exactly sure why you're talking post smack. And I'm not exactly sure why you're following me around and following my posts.

You made a stupid thread about Dirk and no one in that thread agreed with you. I didn't realize i would hurt your feelings by calling you out. My bad, guy.

Feelings. Emotions. Devastation.

All colors and tones on the great pallette of spurstalk.com.

Yes, JaG makes every post count. No smack must be left un awnsered, he truly is the Sherrif of this bad boy net community!

iISyPz5XRyI

jag
04-30-2010, 02:59 AM
lol your obsession is flattering

Ignignokt
04-30-2010, 03:01 AM
lol your obsession is flattering

LoL, i'm awaiting a cooties joke out of you.

jag
04-30-2010, 03:04 AM
LoL, i'm awaiting a cooties joke out of you.

I'm calling it a night, guy. Unlike you i have work in 4 hours, and unlike you, i don't rely on tips.

Good times

blizz
04-30-2010, 03:30 AM
I also like how clever his is getting in drawing fouls.

Ignignokt
04-30-2010, 03:31 AM
I'm calling it a night, guy. Unlike you i have work in 4 hours, and unlike you, i don't rely on tips.

Good times

tee hee?

sexinthatsx
04-30-2010, 04:23 AM
It just sucks knowing that the Spurs could have potentially used Hill's help last year when we needed another scorer. However, we all know Pop and his system regarding playing rookies.

blizz
04-30-2010, 04:41 AM
Hill was nowhere near the scorer last year that he is this year. He got all of that last summer.

flame
04-30-2010, 04:57 AM

Good times

:lol I am a jag fan after that

TJastal
04-30-2010, 05:33 AM
A little perspective here

Parker since approx end of March has been looking very good. People forget how bad he was before that however.. and all the missed games due to injuries.

All I got to say is thank god we had George Hill to step up in his absence and play consistent basketball for approx 1/2 the season while Parker was either playing like shit and/or nursing injuries.

Now let's hope Tony can stay healthy because he is one of the best ... no actually he IS the best penetrating point guard in the league when he's on his game and he's been proving it as of late.

jermaine
04-30-2010, 05:56 AM
He's probably learned a lot from guarding TP in practice. And it's helped. Pop & the rest of the veterans are teaching him well.

I like when the game was on da line & Manu ran over 4 da ball & Hill basiclly told him fuck off & Manu walked off lookin bac at Pop. Classic. Da look on Manus face.

fyatuk
04-30-2010, 06:08 AM
Is it just me or is it becoming more apparent that George Hill is becoming a clone of Tony Parker except a slightly bigger version? I mean, if you watch throughout this whole Dallas playoff series, George Hill has mimicked the same hesitation dribble move that made me think it was TP for a quick second. Even his midrange jump shots look like Tony's. Nevertheless, props to Hill... this guy is F'ing amazing.

Of course their jump shots are going to look similar, since they both retooled their stroke under Chip, pretty much from the ground up.

Hill is good at incorporating things into his game. He's picked up several of TP's moves, and even worked a little Manu and Tim into his game. He seems to be the kind of person that if he sees something that works a lot, he'll study it and try to work it into his game. The more he's exposed to, the better he'll be it seems like.

jesterbobman
04-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Both of them are scoring Pg;s/; Combo Guards, and have respective strengths and weaknesses relative to each other, but both of them can play with Manu, or with each other. Parker is a better driver and finisher in the paint, though Hills shooting is ahead. All I could think of after seeing the Box score was the fact that our guard trio combined for 57, 15 and 15. Thats ridiculous.
They're not the same, but they are similar, and I think Hill has seemed to be a perfect complement as a third guard to Manu and TP. He's big enough to play the 2 against most people, and a decent enough ball handler to play PG and ensures a good corner 3 shooter. Are they exactly the same? No. But they are similar

spursrocks
04-30-2010, 06:11 AM
george has still a lot of room for improvement in terms of pg position. but as a shooting guard, he is a really good defender, slasher and very good 3point shooter. tony parker is still the main man when it comes to point guard position. tony parker is faster and better passer.
both are really good. they have different abilities that will help the team.
parker saved us games 2 n 3. george saved us games 4 n 6
still.. i love georgie better as a starter. parker is good coming of the bench.

pad300
04-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Hill is Jason Terry, with better D...

sa_butta
04-30-2010, 10:43 AM
offensively I think their games are similar, I think Hill has better shooting range than Tony, but Tony is faster to the hole and more crafty around the basket. Defensively I think Tony is quicker, but people give the edge to Hill because of his length.

bigdog
04-30-2010, 12:13 PM
I couldn't get over how the commentators last night kept calling Hill a "young stud" and "future star of this league", along with Beaubois. Good to see some other people finally realizing how good some of these lesser known players are. Let's just hope the Spurs can lock up George before someone else overpays him.

Waps1980
04-30-2010, 12:15 PM

Say what now?
Did you not see how well we played without TP, Hill fits the side great TP can play with any offense without a doubt he's a one man wrecking crew.
Hill is our next big thing book that in for sure!
Hill has learnt everything from TP thats a fact get with the program!

Harry Callahan
04-30-2010, 12:23 PM
SA needed both guys in this series. TP is probably not 100% even now. With a summer of rest (Hopefully) he can be the same unguardable player he was in 2008-09.

wildbill2u
04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Manu, Hill, Parker. It's like having a Porsche Turbo, A Ferrari, and a BMW Z4 in your garage.

They are all fine cars, get you where you want to go in great style, and have enough different characteristics to make you want all of them.

anakha
04-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Manu, Hill, Parker. It's like having a Porsche Turbo, A Ferrari, and a BMW Z4 in your garage.

They are all fine cars, get you where you want to go in great style, and have enough different characteristics to make you want all of them.

So what models would the rest of the team be?

jag
04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Say what now?
Did you not see how well we played without TP, Hill fits the side great TP can play with any offense without a doubt he's a one man wrecking crew.
Hill is our next big thing book that in for sure!
Hill has learnt everything from TP thats a fact get with the program!

I shouldn't have gotten as irritated by this thread as i obviously was last night. I guess i get tired of seeing the "Hill is ready to take over" threads every single time hill does well.

Hill is great, but he hasn't shown anything that says he can run the offense. The only way the Spurs get by without TP is if they run the offense off of Manu. That doesn't seem too smart considering he can only play 30 min/game.

duncan228
04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Hill getting some well deserved nice press.

Finding the Future of the Franchise (http://dimemag.com/2010/04/finding-the-future-of-the-franchise/)
By Austin Burton
SLAM

When it came time to separate the men from the Mavs, last night’s Dallas/San Antonio game was decided by the grizzled vets (http://dimemag.com/2010/04/spurs-send-the-mavericks-packing-suns-send-the-blazers-to-rehab/) who have been through these wars before: Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili, Jason Kidd and the rest.

But leading up to crunch time, two of the most valuable players on the court were 23-year-old George Hill and 22-year-old Rodrigue Beaubois. As the Mavs fought back from a terrible first half where their offense was stuck settling for jumpers, Beaubois (16 pts) attacked the rim repeatedly and scored over Duncan. And as the Spurs fought off that Dallas comeback, Hill dropped 17 of his 21 points in the second half, including backdoor layups and dagger threes.

At one point, TNT’s Reggie Miller anointed Hill and Beaubois “the future of this rivalry.” And maybe Reggie was just trying to say something bombastic to make the highlight reel, but I think he could be onto something.

For Hill, who had put up 29 points in Game 4 (http://dimemag.com/2010/04/d-wade-torches-boston-for-46-george-hills-breakout-party/), it was yet another big-time performance in what is becoming a breakout postseason for the second-year pro. For Beaubois, who had seen only spot minutes in the series before Thursday, it was the rookie’s first significant playoff action (unfortunately his last for this year), and he delivered.

Who would’ve seen this coming six months ago? Hill was a little-known product of a small college (IUPUI) despite being a first-round draft pick in ‘08, whose rookie season was nothing special stat-wise. Beaubois was an unknown project from Guadelupe when he was drafted in the ‘09 first round and not expected to be a major contributor this year. Can these two really become future stars for their respective franchises?

Whether they become All-Stars or career role players, Hill and Beaubois are a testament to good scouting and good coaching. Both players fit right into their team’s system, and they’ve been brought along at a good pace under the guidance of respected vets and solid coaches. Now they’ve been introduced to the postseason pressure-cooker and passed the initial test.

Every team in the NBA has one or two young players viewed as The Future. I didn’t foresee George Hill and Roddy Beaubois assuming those roles for the Spurs and Mavs, but by this time next year don’t be shocked if they’re more than just pleasantly surprising X-factors.

mingus
04-30-2010, 01:52 PM
I would like to see Hill become a better road player.

angelbelow
04-30-2010, 02:07 PM

This is a retarded post. He didnt compare every aspect of their game. Hes comparing ballhandling and shooting form you fucking idiot.

BoricuaCJA
04-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Hill is Jason Terry, with better D...
I disagree with that. Terry is a much better offensive player(but inconsistent) overall.

FkLA
04-30-2010, 02:49 PM
I shouldn't have gotten as irritated by this thread as i obviously was last night. I guess i get tired of seeing the "Hill is ready to take over" threads every single time hill does well.

Hill is great, but he hasn't shown anything that says he can run the offense. The only way the Spurs get by without TP is if they run the offense off of Manu. That doesn't seem too smart considering he can only play 30 min/game.

So basically youre holding the fact that Pop is milking Manu, who has probably been a TOP 10 player in the league over the last few months, against Hill? I mean you are aware that even Parker would likely be deferring to Manu if he was starting right. Besides in yesterdays game, which was arguably the biggest game of the season, Hill actually had his share of pick n roll plays run for him...even with Manu and Tony in there. This has been happening for a while btw, now obviously a young up and coming 2nd year player isnt going to get as many plays called for him as say Manu, but to say that he isnt capable of having plays run through him is stupid. I'll turn the question on you and ask what has he done to show that he isnt capable of that? Cause from what Ive seen he's been coming through for the team for months now.

I like when the game was on da line & Manu ran over 4 da ball & Hill basiclly told him fuck off & Manu walked off lookin bac at Pop. Classic. Da look on Manus face.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If there was any question whether this kid had balls that play erased them. That was big time.

jag
04-30-2010, 02:53 PM
This is a retarded post. He didnt compare every aspect of their game. Hes comparing ballhandling and shooting form you fucking idiot.

George Hill is becoming a clone of Tony Parker except a slightly bigger version

jag
04-30-2010, 02:56 PM
So basically youre holding the fact that Pop is milking Manu, who has probably been a TOP 10 player in the league over the last few months, against Hill? I mean you are aware that even Parker would likely be deferring to Manu if he was starting right. Besides in yesterdays game, which was arguably the biggest game of the season, Hill actually had his share of pick n roll plays run for him...even with Manu and Tony in there. This has been happening for a while btw, now obviously a young up and coming 2nd year player isnt going to get as many plays called for him as say Manu, but to say that he isnt capable of having plays run through him is stupid. I'll turn the question on you and ask what has he done to show that he isnt capable of that? Cause from what Ive seen he's been coming through for the team for months.

I don't think you get it.

NFGIII
04-30-2010, 03:30 PM

Agreed. Before TP's injury they were really clicking together. But with TP's injury I think that was a blessing in disguise since it gave Hill more PT and helped accelerate his game.

TP has definitely rubbed off on Hill. As Goran from Nash

Best to learn for your betters. Bodes well for both but the Spurs have the better player.

Whenever hill does well Spurs fan starts to think that Hill should be running the offense. People need to realize how and why Hill is playing so well. He's mostly playing off of the big 3. He's getting open looks and little attention from opposing defenses.

Hill has a difficult time creating for teammates. If you guys think Tony isn't good enough as a playmaker...then Hill would probably make you want to punch a baby.

Even when Tony was out and Hill was playing pg, Hill wasn't actually playing point. Manu was handling everything in the half court. All in all, their games are very different.

Good points. When Hill was playing the 1 the team's movement slowed down significantly. They litterally became stagnant and it was painful to watch. That doesn't mean in time he won't improve his play at the 1 but as of now it is better for TP or Manu to assume that role. And next year we'll be able to see if Temple has what it takes to be the backup PG. Hill is best at the 2 and isn't really a 1. If Temple proves to be that illusive backup PG we've all been hoping for this would really put SA in a great situation. I think they would have the best starting and backup back court in the league.

Starting: TP and Hill
2nd unit: Temple and Manu.

It just sucks knowing that the Spurs could have potentially used Hill's help last year when we needed another scorer. However, we all know Pop and his system regarding playing rookies.

Wasn't ready but since the Spurs weren't going anywhere due to Manu being out it might have been a good idea to get him valuable playoff experience and played him from the getgo.

I would like to see Hill become a better road player.

Ditto!

As of now I see him as so so to great at home and mostly disapperaring on the road. I think with time that will go away and he will become more consistent. This is based on what I saw in the regular season with this being his first real test in the POs. So far so good and you might even consider that games 1 & 2 were an aberration since he was coming off an ankle injury and not quite ready. Though I think it came out that he was mentally unprepared at the beginning of the Mavs series. As of now I think he is plugged in and ready to go. Maybe he has "turned the corner" so to say and this is what we can expect from here on out.

Bad news for the Suns IMHO.

:flag:

mameha
04-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If there was any question whether this kid had balls that play erased them. That was big time.

If it was TP who did that, he'll be arrogant, selfish, or a ballhog. I am amazed at a lot of people in this board who thinks so little of TP after everything he has done for the Spurs. It's ridiculous how TP does not even get half of the love that George gets. But I digress.

My Fault
04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Tony has been with the Spurs for years and knows the Spurs offense like the back of his hand so of course he can run it better than Hill.Hill/Parker backcourt works so well because they cover each other's flaws so well. I wouldn't say Hill is better than Parker but Hill is definitely only getting better.

NRHector
04-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't want to brag about it (but I am)I mention that a few weeks ago :flag:

ploto
04-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Hill is not a PG.

spursfan1000
04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
George Hill just murderd Jason Kidd on one of the turn around layups yesterday, maybe Parker and Hill have been practicing together. I sure hope so. The only advantages I think Hill has over Parker though is his corner 3 point shot and his defense, maybe rebounding too.

Ignignokt
05-01-2010, 03:16 AM
parker isn't a true pg either.

For parker playing pg all his life, he has little gulf between him and hill in that aspect.

It's not a crime to compare the two.

sexinthatsx
05-01-2010, 04:28 AM
I see no similarity between the two. Some shots they take are just part of their sets but Hill is a much better offensive player than TP right now and should only get better.

He has really improved as a shooter and I look for him to be a 17-20ppg scorer next year.

Well, as I explained how I thought their shots and ballhandling looks alike, Hill actually seems to be shooting that midrange jumpsot at the same spot Tony always does: a couple of steps away from that foul-line.

sexinthatsx
05-01-2010, 04:32 AM
I didn't mean clone as in the exact player, but he definitely took some moves from TP's playbook.

JaG, maybe you should actually take some time to read all the posts before you ignorantly post yourself... it'll make yourself less dumber than you actually are.

Cane
05-01-2010, 04:43 AM
Yea he's definitely borrowed some moves from Tony Parker. He also reminds me of Bowen since he's got that corner 3 the Spurs system loves and is a presence defensively. And also like Bowen, Hill struggles to shoot the 3 anywhere else other than the high % corner. Definitely not better than either of them at their specialty but still a great mix of skills.

Imo a lot of fast guards in the league borrowed elements of Parker's game since its been successful for him and the Spurs. Devin Harris comes to mind as basically being a poor man's version of TP.