PDA

View Full Version : What was up with Robert Horry?

T Park
05-08-2005, 11:53 PM
I was at the game tonight and we couldn't figure out what was wrong with Robert Horry, cause he didnt play AT ALL in the second half.

Injury? wasnt feeling good? Or did pop rest him.

Hook Dem
05-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Was wondering the same thing myself!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2005, 12:02 AM
What's wrong with resting a guy? We've got 3 games in five nights. Getting anyone rest we could is a good thing.

I was more perplexed with Manu being in there until there was about two minutes to go. Lots of risk with little reward on that one, if you ask me.

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 12:02 AM
We needed bangers down low, and Glenn had it going at the three so no need for Rob tonight.

3rdCoast
05-09-2005, 12:03 AM
What's wrong with resting a guy? We've got 3 games in five nights. Getting anyone rest we could is a good thing.

I was more perplexed with Manu being in there until there was about two minutes to go. Lots of risk with little reward on that one, if you ask me.

Very well said. Luckily nothing happened.

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:04 AM
I was just asking if anything was said on the radio or TV broadcast....

Sheesh.

3rdCoast
05-09-2005, 12:09 AM
I was just asking if anything was said on the radio or TV broadcast....

Sheesh.

I wondered the same thing while I was watching it. He just didnt have to play because the Spurs did not need a "Big Shot" tonight
:lol

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:10 AM
I agree, if it was just sitting him, hey thats cool, but he wasn't out for shoot around at halftime, and he showed up in JUST his uni in the 3rd, instead of under his layers and layers of warmups.

Was just curious if he was sick, or it was a tweak of some sort or what.

3rdCoast
05-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I agree, if it was just sitting him, hey thats cool, but he wasn't out for shoot around at halftime, and he showed up in JUST his uni in the 3rd, instead of under his layers and layers of warmups.

Was just curious if he was sick, or it was a tweak of some sort or what.

I hope he is not sick. I think he is fine, just a case of not being needed tonight.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Well, if you want to get serious about the second half, I think the short answer is that the Spurs realized that the Big Dog can run with Rashard, so why trot Horry out there when you can save him for another day?

If I recall correctly they sent Horry in when Radmanovic came in the first half, so perhaps some of it is also the fact that his matchup was out of the game with injury.

And the other big picture observation is Nazr got a lot of run tonight, which is great for him getting more time in the defensive system and getting comfortable with his teammates.

timvp
05-09-2005, 12:15 AM
the Spurs realized that the Big Dog can run with Rashard

Pop should save himself some time and just read here.

:smokin

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:15 AM
lol you guys are misunderstanding me.

You guys watched the TV broadcast, and listened to the radio, I just wondered if they said anything about Robert.

But I agree, Big Dog was HUUUUUGEEE.

3rdCoast
05-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Yea, I like that theory. BIG DOG was doing well so just rest Horry for when he is needed a little more.

3rdCoast
05-09-2005, 12:17 AM
lol you guys are misunderstanding me.

You guys watched the TV broadcast, and listened to the radio, I just wondered if they said anything about Robert.

But I agree, Big Dog was HUUUUUGEEE.

No, I did not hear anything about it on tv.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Pop would do me proud if he'd think outside the box for game 2 and start Big Dog.

You know after tonight Seattle is going to be game planning to run at Barry with Rashard.

So why not really fuck with Nate's head and start Big Dog on him?

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Pop would do me proud if he'd think outside the box for game 2 and start Big Dog.

You know after tonight Seattle is going to be game planning to run at Barry with Rashard.

So why not really fuck with Nate's head and start Big Dog on him?

Why are you trying to bandwagon on timvp's idea?

:)

timvp
05-09-2005, 12:23 AM
The weird thing about my "crazy" ideas is they usually end up happening.

:drunk

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:24 AM
i wouldn't be opposed to it, but I highly doubt it will happen.

Mr. Body
05-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Maintaining rotations is usually far, far more important than screwing with the other coach's head. Moving Manu to the bench was such an anomaly it was the talk of the basketball world and could have seriously backfired. No way do you not start Bowen.

Also, as mentioned above, Nazr didn't get that much "run" tonight; he only played 23 minutes. I don't think he played particularly well.

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Nazr was OK.

I liked his rotations on D.

Offensively he was out to lunch, but once again, he brought great rebounding.

I loved that closeout block on I think it was Rashard Lewis.

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Nazr was OK.

I liked his rotations on D.

Offensively he was out to lunch, but once again, he brought great rebounding.

I loved that closeout block on I think it was Rashard Lewis.
Without Nazr spurs would have a hard time keeping the sonics off the boards. Nazr is a godsend for Tim.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2005, 12:56 AM
:lol Kori.

I doubt Pop does enough thinking outside the box to think about Big Dog actually starting a game.

But you've got Ray hobbling. You've got the media laughing at you for not isolating Rashard on Barry. You've got Rashard demanding the ball.

It just seems like a perfect time for Pop to shock me and get creative, because you know that Rashard's gonna be geared up to come out of the gate swinging Tuesday, and the Sonics are going to be running plays for him.

Well, all that, and I've been drinking. :lol

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:00 AM
in that case, switch Bowen off of Allen and put him on Lewis, and let Barry defend a hobbled Allen for a while.

That would shock alot of people.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2005, 01:08 AM
I think a hobbled Allen would still be able to work on Barry. Having played on a chronically sprained ankle in HS, once you get loose it's not too much of a problem anymore.

Plus, Seattle's going to game plan for a TD-Nazr-BB-Tony-Barry lineup. Change it up and throw Big Dog in there, and probably half the plays they set up for Rashard between now and Tuesday are suddenly useless.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:09 AM
then what for game 3, start manu? game 4 start barry??

Sounds like fun lol.

xcoriate
05-09-2005, 01:16 AM
tp-bowen-big dog-td-nazr??

How about that for Game 2

WE can go from there with game 3

Obstructed_View
05-09-2005, 01:18 AM
I think if you shuffle your rotation coming off a 22 point blowout win you should be buried under the arena.

Solid D
05-09-2005, 06:20 AM
1st Half
Robert Horry 15 touches.....Spurs +27
2nd Half
Robert Horry 0 touches.......Spurs - 5

:hat

Samr
05-09-2005, 06:46 AM
G-Rob REALLY impressed me last night. He's certainly trying to play defense, which should at least earn him some minimal level of respect. But what really impressed me was how accurate his shot was. The guy is a dead eye from mid-range, and deffinately has the range to nail the 3 ball when we need him too.

With Big Dog, Barry, and Manu, it has to be hard for McMillian to decide who to plan for. Pop could bring out any one of them and really mess him up. I know Nate was planning on Manu for game 1. What a great possition for the Spurs to be in. Having too much flexibility, in the playoffs, is never a bad thing.

SouthernFried
05-09-2005, 07:04 AM
So, did Horry not play much because Pop wanted to play Glenn? Has Pop or any of the Spurs made any comments on this?

I was curious myself.

kskonn
05-09-2005, 07:10 AM
So, did Horry not play much because Pop wanted to play Glenn? Has Pop or any of the Spurs made any comments on this?

I was curious myself.

Na, nobody made any comments. I think it was just a matter of using the time to get more guys as comfartable as possible, Nazrm big dog etc.... It is not to often that you have garbage time in the playoffs. Plus factor in the short rest between games and Radmonovich getting hurt(Horrys man match up) and it makes sense to keep him on the bench.

MI21
05-09-2005, 08:48 AM
1st Half
Robert Horry 15 touches.....Spurs +27
2nd Half
Robert Horry 0 touches.......Spurs - 5

:hat

Whottt the hell are you talking about?

TMSKILZ
05-09-2005, 10:45 AM
it was good to see DBrown out there, even in garbage time.
Kid brings a lot off the bench, he'll be needed sometime in these playoffs, hopefully he's not too rusty.

Jimcs50
05-09-2005, 10:50 AM
The weird thing about my "crazy" ideas is they usually end up happening.

:drunk

Nobody said your idea was crazy, it is that Manu needs to be on the floor more than Glenn does to make Ray Allen work harder on defense. Brent did a good job on defense as well, so there is no need to shake things up.

Now that being said, if Seattle starts to use Lewis as a post up player on every offensive set and the double teams are not working, then I think it would be good to try to put Glenn on Lewis in the post as was talked about last week.

Manu and Barry deserve more minutes than Glenn...unless we are getting beat, then you try other matchups.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2005, 11:02 AM
It looks like Pop is still trying out a small ball lineup with GRob at power forward. Could be useful in this round and the next.