PDA

View Full Version : Bonner vs Blair rant

Manufan909
04-30-2010, 03:38 AM
DeJuan Blair 49 8-19 0-0 5-9 14 12 26 4 1 2 1 8 21

Dejuan Blair 84 14-33 0-0 9-15 24 21 44 7 2 3 2 14 36
Matt Bonner 84 7-22 5-15 0-0 3 12 15 1 0 1 0 12 19

I wasn't originally, but I decided to account for the minute disparity precisely. I wish I could have just doubled Blair's numbers, but I didn't want the difference in stats to be exaggerated.

Blair pros

- scores twice as many points
- gets to the line 15x as much (if Bonner could have shot one damn FT:jack)
- grabs 8x as many O boards
- and almost 3x as many rebounds overall
- dishes out 7x as many dimes
- blocks almost 3x as much

Bonner pros

- "technically" spaces the floor, but 33% off mostly open looks is unacceptable
- more chemistry with the team in general, but I think Blair has more chem with the guards, especially Manu

not sure

- Blair fouls 17% more than Bonner. Idk if that's really a negative for Blair, since he will foul someone hard so they earn their points, while Bonner would rather administer perfect position defense, without actually contesting the shot beyond throwing his hands straight up:bang

I know this is an unfair comparison for many reasons, one being that Blair is a stat machine, and more importantly, Blair's output might have dropped in terms of PER with such a drastic rise in minutes. It is on Bonner to produce though. Even without accounting for Bonner having almost twice as many minutes, Blair equaled or pwned him in damn near every category. That kind of difference in production should be obvious to Pop, yet Blair's age and inability to stretch the defense in any way whatsoever (yet he takes every chance concerning broken plays and rolling to the hoop) dooms him. Not to mention Pop's love affair with stretch bigs, and hatred of dunks.

While I will conceive the fact that Bonner is the better overall defender, he is in no way an intimidating presence (Bonner is my least favorite Spurs big, but I don't really agree with the idea that guys see Bonner and immediately gain confidence). On the other side of the spectrum, Blair stands down to no one. He didn't care when Kidd drove on him, he just made sure Kidd would have no chance of an And1 by using a hard playoff foul. He was essentially showing the other Dallas guards what would happen if they tried to test him. When that play was shown on the video highlights, I loved how Brent Barry and the guys mentioned that you "just don't do that to a future Hall of Famer", and then Barry adding "well he just did". And later when Dirk threw a tantrum and flailed his elbow, Blair just stared him down so that the big German immediately started crying like a bitch to the refs. He tends to destroy people when he goes up for a rebound, and just manhandles guys in the paint period.

Obviously Blair does have problems with bigger players, but those same players score on Bonner almost as easily. Okay, enough of my ranting for now.:wakeup

SpursTillTheEnd
04-30-2010, 03:59 AM
Bonner is not an offensive threat when hes on the floor in the playoff's, he makes a 3 and that little hook shot every now and then.Blair needs to see more minutes

ChumpDumper
04-30-2010, 04:00 AM
Yeah, we would've won the the series if Blair had played more.

DespЏrado
04-30-2010, 04:06 AM
This has nothing to do with Blair>Bonner and everything to do with Popovich is the teacher and Blair is the rookie beginning his journey of chipping away at the stone or some other such idealist notion. Blair will without a doubt be given a chance to earn his way into the full rotation next year and not before - as it was with Hill last year.

Right now Duncan's 3 pt shot is better than Bonner's. If Pop were really thinking outside the box, he'd let Duncan space the floor for Blair for a few plays.

007nites
04-30-2010, 04:08 AM
They both have impose there own threats. However, they should never be on the floor at the same time.

superjames1992
04-30-2010, 07:04 AM
We won this series. Quit complaining, guys. Some of you racists love to rag on our ginger friend and it's sad to see that people can still be so ignorant.

Anyways, both of them played decent last tonight and helped us win the ball game.

samikeyp
04-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Bonner's ACL's slow him down. :)

BillMc
04-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Bonner's ACL's slow him down. :)

:lol

Seriously, we're going to need some three point shooting outside of Hill and Manu at some point in this series. Mason or Bonner are going to have to show up at least once or twice.

As for Blair, he should be MADE for the Suns series. I'd like to see his minutes increase. But I DO trust in Pop.

EricB
04-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Blair didn't see big minutes against Dallas due to the matchups.. That said he matches up well with With Phoenix, if he plays SMART he'll see more minutes.

EricB
04-30-2010, 08:01 AM
:lol

Seriously, we're going to need some three point shooting outside of Hill and Manu at some point in this series. Mason or Bonner are going to have to show up at least once or twice.

As for Blair, he should be MADE for the Suns series. I'd like to see his minutes increase. But I DO trust in Pop.

That's true IMO against teams with good interior defense like Dallas LA, but Phoenix really gives u no reason to space the heck out of the floor. With the lack of interrior D you drive agressively.

GSH
04-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Blair is a fun player to watch, and he brings a lot to the floor. But he has to get over picking up 4 fouls in 7 minutes if he wants to stay in the game. I love the way he scraps, but he has to learn that sometimes the other team gets the rebound.

Bonner has his drawbacks, especially when he's not hitting his 3-pointers. We all know that. But there were times in this series when he was right up in Nowitzki's jock, and Dirk went up over him and made some really difficult shots. Bonner couldn't have done anything more, without committing a foul. And Dirk turned a lot of fouls into and-1's. In case some of you didn't notice, McDyess defended Dirk really well and he still scored 33 points last night.