PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs rattle Seattle

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Spurs rattle Seattle: Parker, Duncan carry load to start series on right foot
Web Posted: 05/09/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050905.1C.BKNspurs.gamer1.256fe4b97.html

Tony Parker paused for a moment to read his defender's eyes, and then he was gone. He darted left then right. A second later, Parker was at the rim, banking in a layup as Seattle point guard Luke Ridnour flailed, helplessly, at him.

It was the opening possession of the opening game of the Spurs' Western Conference semifinals series Sunday night, and it was clear no one needed to tell Parker to look for his shot. And he certainly didn't need to be reminded what happened two weeks to the day earlier.

If the Seattle SuperSonics felt a little overwhelmed after the Spurs' 103-81 victory at the SBC Center — if, as their coach suggested, they really were startled by the speed and aggressiveness of Parker and his teammates — they can blame some of their troubles on the Denver Nuggets.

Two weeks earlier, the Spurs took the floor against the Nuggets feeling just as confident as they did Sunday night. A little less than 21/2 hours later, they had lost not only the game, but also the home-court advantage they had worked all season to obtain.

"We didn't want to do the same mistake," Parker said. "It showed."

It showed in the 29 points Parker scored. In the way the Spurs set their screens, in the way they cut hard through the lane. It showed in the 35 points they limited Seattle to in the first half, along with their own 35 in the first quarter.

"I think we were a little surprised at the level of intensity in the second round," Sonics coach Nate McMillan said. "The level of play goes up, the energy, the effort. Scrappy plays happen every possession.

"Basically, that's what San Antonio did right from the start."

Seattle had other problems besides the intensity and final score. Ray Allen, the team's All-Star guard and leading scorer, missed most of the final three quarters after spraining his right ankle. Vladimir Radmanovic, one of the Sonics' top reserves, also left in the second quarter, also after spraining his right ankle.

X-rays for both players were negative. McMillan called the status of both day-to-day, though Radmanovic needed crutches to leave the arena. Allen's sprain didn't appear as serious.

"He means to them what Timmy (Duncan) means to us if Timmy sat down," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of Allen. "He's huge. He makes the whole team more confident."

Parker took on that role Sunday. He set the tone, slicing through the Sonics for layups on the first three possessions. The Spurs made all but one of their 12 first-quarter baskets at the rim.

"Tony kind of picked up where he left off against Denver," Popovich said.

The Sonics, meanwhile, had made quick work of the Sacramento Kings in the first round, dismissing them in five games. Any momentum they gained in that series was gone three minutes into the game. The Spurs led by 13 points at the end of the first quarter, by 30 with a little more than two minutes left in the opening half.

"We looked like a college team," Sonics forward Rashard Lewis said. "It was like men playing against a bunch of little kids."

The second quarter only added injury to insult for Seattle. Radmanovic sprained his right ankle with 8:26 remaining in the half. Almost as soon as the Sonics finished carrying Radmanovic off the court, Allen came up limping on his right ankle.

Allen, who has taken exception to Bruce Bowen's physical defense during his 21/2 seasons, shoved Bowen less than three minutes into the game for an offensive foul. At the time of Allen's exit, the Spurs were already leading by 16.

Duncan scored 22 points — 17 in the first half — to go along with his nine rebounds, five assists and four blocks. The Spurs, who had made it a priority to keep the Sonics' big men off the offensive boards, outrebounded Seattle 46-31.

"We didn't focus on that (in Game 1) against Denver," said Popovich, who wasn't nearly as happy with the team's occasionally listless play in the second-half. "It really taught us a lesson."

During the Spurs' first-round victory over Denver, Parker grew accustomed to having his defenders stay with him off pick-and-rolls until he passed the ball. On Sunday, he had no trouble finding his way to the rim.

With 4.9 seconds left in Sunday's first half, Parker took the ball and streaked the length of the court. By the time Seattle forwards Vitaly Potapenko and Reggie Evans even bothered to turn around and look for the Spurs' point guard, Parker was at the rim, finishing a layup.

"Tony Parker's play and his aggressiveness is different than in the regular season," McMillan said. "There's no fooling around at this time of the season."

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Tony has never played better IMO. He's not just hot like in the past. As a fan, for the first time, I have lots of confidence in TP.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Playing against a guy who is defensively invisible such as Ridnour, I'm sure builds Tony's confidence. In the postgame, Collison blamed himself and other bigs for bad help D, but it's really about Tony just being far, far too quick for Luke.

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Collison can blame themselves for bad help D, but Tony is still gonna get around em.

Ginobili as well.

Ginobili hardly broke a sweat out there.

Ginobili IMO can go all the hell out in game 2 and break down their D.

Collison can talk all he wants about help D and such, thats fine, but when Parker drives to the hole going for a layup, hes gonna get u into foul trouble.

That simple.

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Playing against a guy who is defensively invisible such as Ridnour, I'm sure builds Tony's confidence. In the postgame, Collison blamed himself and other bigs for bad help D, but it's really about Tony just being far, far too quick for Luke.
ridnour doesn't have a prayer. However, I think Tony can play like this against anyone.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Okay, so with 4 points and 2 rebounds, I guess all the Bill Russell talk can stop with Jerome James.

I knew the Spurs would make him look average.

Drachen
05-09-2005, 12:50 AM
ridnour doesn't have a prayer. However, I think Tony can play like this against anyone.

and we all know about Steve "matador" Nash's defense (possible next round matchup if we get past the sonics).

baseline bum
05-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Seattle's defense can't possibly be this bad. Parker looked like he was playing NBA Live or something the way he was getting layups going 1-on-1. The Sonics should be ashamed of themselves for the game they put up today.

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Seattle's defense can't possibly be this bad

Games 1-5 against Sac town it was.

One again, tonight didn't suprise me in the least.

I assume though Mcmillan who is a good coach will make adjustments.

Time for Manu to have a biggin.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 12:56 AM
The Sonics should be ashamed of themselves for the game they put up today
Yes, now go slap all of them on the hand and tell them to play better.

j/k.

2centsworth
05-09-2005, 12:57 AM
and we all know about Steve "matador" Nash's defense (possible next round matchup if we get past the sonics).

Steve is possibly the worst defender I've ever seen.

baseline bum
05-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Stuff like that is not really basketball.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Stuff like that is not really basketball.
The Sonics had a bad game and suffered 2 key injuries, Baseline.

The Spurs have had worse.

MannyIsGod
05-09-2005, 01:14 AM
BB, this isn't the first game Parker has done this to the Sonics. I remember the last game with the Sonics after the Houston contest, when Duncan was hurt, and Parker torched them in the same way.

There is no one on that Sonic team that can take Tony even a little bit. No one.

For all that is made about the matchup with Lewis, the biggest mismatch on the court is with whomever they put on Tony.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Collison can blame themselves for bad help D, but Tony is still gonna get around em.

Ginobili as well.

Ginobili hardly broke a sweat out there.

Ginobili IMO can go all the hell out in game 2 and break down their D.

Collison can talk all he wants about help D and such, thats fine, but when Parker drives to the hole going for a layup, hes gonna get u into foul trouble.

That simple.

With these match-ups against Lewis, which require Horry, Big Dog in front of him, and Bowen taking care of Allen, I would use Manu as point guard. Ridnour would get destroyed between Manu and Tony, while their bigs would foul out between the defence on Tim and trying to stop penetrations.

slayermin
05-09-2005, 04:41 AM
Ridnour is one of the few point guards, Tony can bully. He has height, weight, and strength advantages. TP should be in the game, anytime Luke is in the game.

It's only Ridnour's second season, I believe. I like his game and if he works hard, maybe he can be a Steve Nash type point. But in this series, he's gonna get abused by TP.

boutons
05-09-2005, 07:06 AM
"The level of play goes up, the energy, the effort. Scrappy plays happen every possession."

The Spurs "energy, effort" were simply amazing on both ends. Nobody can call that boring basketball. Just like last May, only the Spurs can beat the Spurs.