PDA

View Full Version : mavs fans

Phillip
04-30-2010, 09:23 AM
to me personally, this has a very familiar feel... while EXTREMELY disappointing, deep down we all knew that while the talent to win a championship is here, the team needs just one or two adjustments, and a little more time to integrate together... very much like the 2004-2005 season, after JET allowed Nashy Nash to pull-up from 3 and end the series.

1. JET either needs a reduced role, or needs to go. sound familiar? a maverick who has been a fan favorite for years, and was a major part of the squads accomplishments over the years, but has turned into an aging jumpshooter that gets hot from time to time but ultimately hurts the squad with bad shots... sounds like Michael Finley.

2. The longtime center (Dampier) that has been around for years getting overpaid and underachieving, needs a youthful, energetic replacement. Sounds like Shawn Bradley.

3. A youthful guard that didn't get enough chances to develop and truly showcase their skills, but shows potential that goes through the roof (Beaubois). Sounds like Devin Harris.

4. A guy who finally seemed to truly show what he is capable of once the playoffs rolled around (Butler). Sounds like JET (in 04-05, when he was fairly average all season, then went apeshit in crucial games in the playoffs)

5. Dirk. Nuff said. Dude is a fucking beast.

Mavs have a few things to touch on for next season, but they are NOT far off by any means. They most definitely can and will be in contention for a championship next year.

Beaubois MUST get more minutes at PG.
JET MUST get less minutes.
Kidd (sigh) MUST get less minutes.
New young backup center that brings pure energy and athleticism (A guy who plays like Serge Ibaka would be nice)
Haywood and Butler MUST get more plays designed for them.

A nice splash through trade and free agency would be extremely helpful too, although I think the development of Roddy B at this point is more important than making a big splash. The only guys I'm really interested in is either Bosh, Wade, or Bron (the latter two being very likely). MAYBE Andre Iguodala, depending on how much the Mavs have to give up. If they can just give Damp's contract and maybe a pick or Barea or something like that, I say go for it.

But Roddy B MUST get developed.

Giuseppe
04-30-2010, 09:32 AM
"deep down we all knew that while the talent to win a championship is here"

No, Phil, you & Cuban could not be more mistaken.

Phillip
04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
"deep down we all knew that while the talent to win a championship is here"

No, Phil, you & Cuban could not be more mistaken.

cool story bro :tu

Shank
04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
They're still poised to be a top-3 team in the West. Changes will be needed, obviously, but from the tone last night they know this window is awfully close to being shut. I think this could be the biggest offseason under Cuban's ownership. If Dirk decides to stick with the team, he has to do it knowing they're loaded and able for a long run.

Someone needs to get Carlisle a clue, though.

I like aiming for Joe Johnson, if at all possible. That might take a package of Butler and Dampier, depending. I like what Butler can do, though. I'd like to see him pick up another season with this team. Marion to the bench. Kidd-Johnson-Butler-Dirk-Haywood as your starters with Roddy as the backup PG. Stevenson to get more burn as a defender. Bring back Gooden and see if Tim Thomas is looking to join up again. Try out Calathes.

Giuseppe
04-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Phil, you have a hodge-podge of ham & eggers/retreads from top to bottom on that roster. There ain't a blue chipper in the bunch and that's inclusive of Nowitski.

Phillip
04-30-2010, 09:42 AM
They're still poised to be a top-3 team in the West. Changes will be needed, obviously, but from the tone last night they know this window is awfully close to being shut. I think this could be the biggest offseason under Cuban's ownership. If Dirk decides to stick with the team, he has to do it knowing they're loaded and able for a long run.

Someone needs to get Carlisle a clue, though.

I like aiming for Joe Johnson, if at all possible. That might take a package of Butler and Dampier, depending. I like what Butler can do, though. I'd like to see him pick up another season with this team. Marion to the bench. Kidd-Johnson-Butler-Dirk-Haywood as your starters with Roddy as the backup PG. Stevenson to get more burn as a defender. Bring back Gooden and see if Tim Thomas is looking to join up again. Try out Calathes.

I like Joe Johnson, but the guy is a jumpshooter that is about to hit 30. While Iggy isn't as good overall, he is much more of a penetrator than Johnson (gets to the FT line 6-7 times a game and plays on a shit team), and is only 26. I'm not big on the idea of getting Joe though. I think there are other players that fit the Mavs needs more. He simply makes the team even more of a jumpshooting team.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 09:42 AM
lol serious breakdowns

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 09:43 AM
You don't want Iggy. That guy is so overrated it is not funny. He is obviously a good player, but I don't think he improves the Mavs enough.

Shank
04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
You don't want Iggy. That guy is so overrated it is not funny. He is obviously a good player, but I don't think he improves the Mavs enough.

I agree. You might as well aim for Maggette.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I think Roddy B needs to start a SG, so you can at least know what you have. But it is tough, because they seem to be well balanced. It is hard to know what they need. I would say if Roddy does not work out, they need a true SG.

Phillip
04-30-2010, 09:48 AM

I don't really want Iggy either. I'm just saying, if we are going to go for a 2nd or 3rd tier guy, between Joe Johnson and Iggy, I'd rather have Iggy because hes younger and has a more aggressive playing style.

Shank
04-30-2010, 09:49 AM
I think Roddy B needs to start a SG, so you can at least know what you have. But it is tough, because they seem to be well balanced. It is hard to know what they need. I would say if Roddy does not work out, they need a true SG.

I think he's worked well as the SG alongside Kidd this season, but they see his future as a PG. A Rondo-type. We'll see how much he progresses in the offseason to determine if that's really where he fits.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Joe would be a 10 times better fit, but the only way the Mavs get someone is via trade.

Shank
04-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Joe would be a 10 times better fit, but the only way the Mavs get someone is via trade.

It would be difficult for the Mavs. Johnson already turned down a huge offer from the Hawks. He should have taken it, especially with the financial climate the way it is now, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. Does he take the money Dirk would have made? Or is that pie-in-the-sky Dampier-Butler trade package good enough?

Shank
04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
No matter what happens, I'm sick and tired of watching Jason Terry on this team.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 09:54 AM
It would be difficult for the Mavs. Johnson already turned down a huge offer from the Hawks. He should have taken it, especially with the financial climate the way it is now, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. Does he take the money Dirk would have made? Or is that pie-in-the-sky Dampier-Butler trade package good enough?

Even if Dirk opts out and takes the minimum (which obviously won't happen), the Mavs will still be over the cap. The only way to obtain a big time player is to trade Damp. That contract is like gold.

Just don't know who will be available. Certainly not Joe though.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-30-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't really want Iggy either. I'm just saying, if we are going to go for a 2nd or 3rd tier guy, between Joe Johnson and Iggy, I'd rather have Iggy because hes younger and has a more aggressive playing style.

JJ is only 28 and he still has tons of good years left, if Dallas had their choice JJ >>>>> Iggy, and this is coming from a huge Iggy fan.

Phillip
No matter what happens, I'm sick and tired of watching Jason Terry on this team.

Agreed.

If he stays, 20 mpg tops.

Sportcamper
The Mavs had a great season…:toast

It was unlucky to get the tenacious & playoff seasoned Spurs in round one…

Phillip
04-30-2010, 09:58 AM
JJ is only 28 and he still has tons of good years left, if Dallas had their choice JJ >>>>> Iggy, and this is coming from a huge Iggy fan.

Mainly, I just don't want a guy who's game is based on jumpshooting to be Dirk's Robin. I'd rather just develop Roddy and try to work on finding a young big man.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 09:59 AM
You are underrating Joe big time. He is a decent defender, good ball handler, and can shoot from everywhere. He gets to the rim enough.

picc84
04-30-2010, 10:03 AM
I know Dirk beasted and scored almost at will, but he really has to learn how to play defense and rebound a little. He was all over the Spurs on O but nonexistent on the other side of the court. Even when Duncan struggled to score he was still controlling the paint on defense and boarding like a madman.

If Dirk could develop these skills he could play center and give the Mavs a little more flexibility in their crunchtime lineups to play their best guys. I know Mavs fans dont want to hear about his shortcomings after the game he had last night, but these are legit things that hurt Dallas in this series, and in the final game.

Shank
04-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I know Dirk beasted and scored almost at will, but he really has to learn how to play defense and rebound a little. He was all over the Spurs on O but nonexistent on the other side of the court. Even when Duncan struggled to score he was still controlling the paint on defense and boarding like a madman.

If Dirk could develop these skills he could play center and give the Mavs a little more flexibility in their crunchtime lineups to play their best guys. I know Mavs fans dont want to hear about his shortcomings after the game he had last night, but these are legit things that hurt Dallas in this series, and in the final game.

But he's not a center. Why would he play center at his point in his career?

Phillip
04-30-2010, 10:05 AM
You are underrating Joe big time. He is a decent defender, good ball handler, and can shoot from everywhere. He gets to the rim enough.

He shoot's as many 3s as Terry, and doesn't even average more than 5 FTA's a game.

I think Joe is a monster player, and massively underrated period. But I just don't think he is what the Mavs NEED.

picc84
04-30-2010, 10:05 AM
I know he's not a center. Thats because he doesn't have the necessary skills to, not because he's not tall or big enough. If Pau Gasol's frail ass can play center, there's no reason Dirk shouldn't be able to.

I'm just saying IF HE COULD, it would help the Mavs out.

Phillip
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM

His defense isn't as bad as people think. It's not great, but a lot of that is just due to lack of effort, because he has to save so much of the offensive end, because he doesn't ever have consistent help on offense.

He is a very good defensive rebounder, but the thing is, the team has a bunch of good rebounders in Kidd, Butler, Marion, Dampier, Haywood, Najera, so the rebounding gets distributed evenly and takes away from individual rebounding. Plus, since he is often out on the perimeter, he doesn't get a lot of offensive rebounds. That's why his rebounding stat is never in double digits, because even though he gets as many or more defensive rebounds than a lot of elite rebounders, he doesnt get the added 3-4 offensive boards that they get, because their styles and systems allow that, Dirk's doesnt. But Dirk is a VERY underrated and VERY good rebounder. He times his rebounds better than almost anyone in the league, which makes up for his lack of ups.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I think Joe would be exactly what the Mavs need. He is not a slasher, but does it enough to have a balanced game. He should be taking 3's. That is a good thing.

If Roddy is not the answer at SG, then a player like Joe (who the mavs have no chance at) would be ideal. But I think they need another big, which is crazy considering they have Haywood.

dirk4mvp
04-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Rudy Gay, tbh

dirk4mvp
04-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Or we could just go with Ghazi's idea and S&T for Wade!

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Mavs have no shot at S&T for any major player. You only have a shot at someone like Iggy realistically. Someone who has a bad contract, and solid talent.

Giuseppe
04-30-2010, 10:14 AM
There ya sit, dirk4, broken hearted, had to shit, but only farted.

I think the Spurs guys want to play you guys again. They've attached themself to the Suns asshole and I can't get them to turn a loose.

dirk4mvp
04-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Mavs have not shot at S&T for any major player. You only have a shot at someone like Iggy realistically. Someone who has a bad contract, and solid talent.

Don't tell Ghazi det.

dirk4mvp
04-30-2010, 10:15 AM
There ya sit, dirk4, broken hearted, had to shit, but only farted.

I think the Spurs guys want to play you guys again. They've attached themself to the Suns asshole and I can't get them to turn a loose.

Actually I did take a shit. Meatball Marinara subs are great, imho.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Serious question. What about the balls on the Spurs basically tanking and asking for the Mavs in round 1?

Giuseppe
04-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Actually I did take a shit. Meatball Marinara subs are great, imho.

I had a terrible one the other day.

Giuseppe
04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Serious question. What about the balls on the Spurs basically tanking and asking for the Mavs in round 1?

Its a means to an end. The end in this case being you waxing the Suns and then heading West so we can end you properly.

& I'm not hearing a lot of jackassing since last night. I see you and the Suns in bed together tossing each other's salad.

I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

dbestpro
04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Mavs have no shot at S&T for any major player. You only have a shot at someone like Iggy realistically. Someone who has a bad contract, and solid talent.

Here's a ball breaker, would you do a sign and trade for of Dirk for Bosh?

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Hell no. Bosh is a very good player, but overrated imo.

Phillip
04-30-2010, 11:20 AM
I personally think out of all the sign and trade possibilities, the Mavericks have the best chance to land Bosh.

I would really like that. Bosh, Dirk, Beaubois, and Butler? Nasty.

Just the thought of Bosh and Beaubois as the duo for years to come is very nice.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 11:31 AM
yeah, if you're goal is to be average.

leemajors
04-30-2010, 11:32 AM

i still cringe every time he's left open at the 3 point line.

picc84
04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
His defense isn't as bad as people think. It's not great, but a lot of that is just due to lack of effort, because he has to save so much of the offensive end, because he doesn't ever have consistent help on offense.

Maybe not all the time. But in this series it was.

He is a very good defensive rebounder, but the thing is, the team has a bunch of good rebounders in Kidd, Butler, Marion, Dampier, Haywood, Najera, so the rebounding gets distributed evenly and takes away from individual rebounding. Plus, since he is often out on the perimeter, he doesn't get a lot of offensive rebounds. That's why his rebounding stat is never in double digits, because even though he gets as many or more defensive rebounds than a lot of elite rebounders, he doesnt get the added 3-4 offensive boards that they get, because their styles and systems allow that, Dirk's doesnt. But Dirk is a VERY underrated and VERY good rebounder. He times his rebounds better than almost anyone in the league, which makes up for his lack of ups.

Yeah, yeah. Point being he's not dominant rebounding in any phase. He's not the type of player to control the glass, no matter who his teammates are. It doesn't make him a bad player, just like his lack of D doesn't. But they're flaws. Ones that contributed to the Mavs losing this series, despite his scoring outbursts.

DAF86
04-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I think a Butler/Dampier (both expiring next season) for Maggette/Biedrinis trade is posible and would make the Mavs better.

Swapping Terry for Butler in the trade would be even better for Dallas but then I wouldn't be so sure that the Warriors would go for it.

DAF86
04-30-2010, 01:24 PM
WTF was Cuban thinking when he gave Marion a 5 years contract?

timvpimp
04-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I think Joe would be exactly what the Mavs need. He is not a slasher, but does it enough to have a balanced game. He should be taking 3's. That is a good thing.

If Roddy is not the answer at SG, then a player like Joe (who the mavs have no chance at) would be ideal. But I think they need another big, which is crazy considering they have Haywood.

agreed. The mavs just got taunted "jump shooting team" but honestly they don't have enough guys shooting 3 pointers very well. Kidd is probably their only guy who cranks out consistent products from the arc, JET used to be good there but he's not less inconsistent than anyone else nowadays.

Furthermore, the Mavs desperately need a SG with size. Caron has good size but the SF spot seems to fit him better IMHO. Sometimes Caron just has to be rammed at SG b/c Mavs don't have such a SG like Joe Johnson. Caron is fine to guard other longer-yet-slower SGs but he struggles coping with the quick ones like Manu, and that's why Carlisle would rather use 3-PGs on court than put Caron there. Caron is a good player overall but his shooting has been far overrated IMHO. Jet/Kidd/Barea call can shoot the 3 well from time to time and there's no doubt about their skills of shooting. IMHO it's often just their short size that limits their consistency and reliability.

It's not only in paint does size matter, sometimes a shooter needs it more IMHO, which you should know better than anyone.

Ghazi
04-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Spurs tanked because they were probably gonna play the Mavs anyway, and they knew it. If the Spurs did NOT tank then chances are the Blazers beat Golden State later that night instead of opting to rest their starters knowing their 6th place seed was clinched.

Iggy is not overrated, he is underrated if anything. Johnson is better, but Iggy would fill a lot of team needs as well. Someone said may as well go for Maggette. No Iggy is way better than Maggette.

Iggy: athleticism, defense, playmaking, points in paint, FTAs... all areas the Mavs could use help in. However, not a great shooter.

Resign Haywood. Beaubois needs a bigger role next year. Terry needs to be traded or turned into a 15 MPG player whose inconsistencies wont hurt the team. This team relied on JET this year and he failed to perform in the playoffs, just as the yer before and the year before that. This guy is a below average playoff player based on the last 3-4 years.

mavsfan1000
04-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Carlisle just said on the radio that his plans for Beaubois is to be a backup PG next year.

DAF86
04-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Spurs tanked because they were probably gonna play the Mavs anyway, and they knew it. If the Spurs did NOT tank then chances are the Blazers beat Golden State later that night instead of opting to rest their starters knowing their 6th place seed was clinched.

Iggy is not overrated, he is underrated if anything. Johnson is better, but Iggy would fill a lot of team needs as well. Someone said may as well go for Maggette. No Iggy is way better than Maggette.

Iggy: athleticism, defense, playmaking, points in paint, FTAs... all areas the Mavs could use help in. However, not a great shooter.

Resign Haywood. Beaubois needs a bigger role next year. Terry needs to be traded or turned into a 15 MPG player whose inconsistencies wont hurt the team. This team relied on JET this year and he failed to perform in the playoffs, just as the yer before and the year before that. This guy is a below average playoff player based on the last 3-4 years.

I don't know how much better than Maggette Iggy truly is, this season Corey averaged 20 ppg in less than 30 min per game while shooting 516 % from the field, he has always been a very efficient offensive player that attack the rim and gets to FT line a lot. IMO Maggette > AI offensively

DAF86
04-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Carlisle just said on the radio that his plans for Beaubois is to be a backup PG next year.

He should be your backup guard, playing that kid less than 30 min per game would be a shame.

clambake
04-30-2010, 05:35 PM

he better be talking about roddy as the sixth man. if not, fire his ass.

mookie2001
04-30-2010, 05:36 PM
At least some mavsfans have the stones to face the board, the more gangbanging, steady krippen urban warfare type mavsfan must have fallen up in these streetz

Ghazi
04-30-2010, 05:40 PM
I hear Haywood may not want to come back.

This would be a devastating blow! We would have no center!

clambake
04-30-2010, 05:42 PM

you mean almost like now?

badfish22
05-01-2010, 02:07 AM

He actually said he loves it here and wants to come back. AKA "I know Cuban is about to dish me out a nice, long contract so why would I want to leave?"

4>0rings
05-01-2010, 02:08 AM
Will mavfan go back under the rock now?

badfish22
05-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Will mavfan go back under the rock now?

is that what you do when your team is eliminated?
lol bitch spurfan
lol weak ego
lol hiding when team loses

timvpimp
05-01-2010, 02:30 AM
is that what you do when your team is eliminated?
lol bitch spurfan
lol weak ego
lol hiding when team loses

LOL empty closet

LOL flag-printed swimming suit

LOL short & fat

LOL small dick

LOL old

LOL Asian ancestry

LOL FAGGOT

Shank
05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
He actually said he loves it here and wants to come back. AKA "I know Cuban is about to dish me out a nice, long contract so why would I want to leave?"

Behind closed doors, Haywood is a whining little bitch that almost can't wait to leave.

MAZTEXAS
05-01-2010, 10:20 AM
http://drjamesgalyon.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/go-spurs-go.jpg

Mavs_man_41
05-01-2010, 12:48 PM
:lol @ some of you suggesting joe johnson. i guess you guys want to see the exact same product on the court next year? we need more shots AT THE RIM, rather than jumpshots. JJ makes us marginally better at best, and you saw what happened the past decade every time we made marginal improvements. it's time to address the things that actually need to be addressed, or blow it up.