PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mavs fans:

Spur_Fanatic
04-30-2010, 09:29 AM
- Dirk is a keeper.
- Get rid of everyone not named Dirk and the small french guy.
- I'd keep Barea. Behind the frenchie, of course.
- Spurs had a better backcourt. But it's hard to tell what the Mavs are missing. If Beabois lives up the expectations on him (nice contract btw), you have the PG covered. Maybe that's enough, who knows.
- Manu is in a whole different league than Terry. Main differance is, and has always been, Manu's brass balls. Terry just doesn't care enough.
- Kidd is one of the all-great PG's of all time... but take out his 3 points, and depend too much on Dirk, and his scoring AND passing options are limited.
- Want more FT's? Drive to the fricking basket.
- Cuban, Terry, Dampier... tell them to STFU till a series is over.
- Shawn Marion? Seriously? For 4 more years? Are you kidding me?

FalleNxWiZarDx
04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
i think butler, dirk, and that lil black french guy are good and keepers...

time to let terry and the others go IMO

FromWayDowntown
04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
I feel for the Mavs in a way, since I saw what was essentially the same story from the Spurs in the early-to-mid 1990s. Those Spurs had a dominant, all-time player who put up astronomical numbers. But no matter who the Spurs tried to put around him -- no matter how many free agents they signed, no matter how many splashy trades they made, no matter how many coaches they hired and fired -- the result was always disappointment at playoff time. A season's worth of teasing about being a real contender annually was dashed by seemingly less-talented teams when it mattered most. It's a frustrating cycle and as much as I profess to despise the Mavericks, I feel a bit for their fans and feel badly for Dirk Nowitzki.

dude1394
04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Good post...the biggest differences (and they are huge) between terry/manu is not brass balls or any of that, it's talent. Manu can shoot the three (but actually needs to be pretty open to hit it, unlike jet). However where the comparison ends is in the lane and playmaking. Manu can finish in the lane, jet...nope. Jet doesn't have any of the moves that manu (or parker for that matter) has in the lane. And because of that even when he gets in there he can't get a decent shot off. So he's forced to be a one-dimensional player. I don't even want to talk about the defensive side of the ball, on defense he's atrocious.

It doesn't hurt that manu is quite a bit bigger. I think Manu is an awesome player, I had hoped that caron would be more in that mold but unless he loses about 15 pounds I don't see it.

Hats off to the spurs...heck of an organization.. GREAT COACH.. and classy now that bowen is gone. ;)

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2010, 09:50 AM
i wonder why they traded there young core for veterans livin on reputation?

umm shouldve went after jax instead of matress

EmptyMan
04-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Kidd looks ridiculous out there when he comes off a pick wide-ass-open and NEVER takes the shot.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-30-2010, 09:52 AM
+1 to FWD's post. The only thing missing is a good federal nickname like The Admiral. Perhaps Der Kommissar?

dude1394
04-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Well it was a nice thread there for a while...but some folks can't help but crap all over the place.

FromWayDowntown
04-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Der Kommissar?

:lol

johnnyblues
04-30-2010, 10:02 AM
- Cuban, Terry, Dampier... tell them to STFU till a series is over.

This.:toast

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2010, 10:11 AM
kidd is overrated anyway...

parker still owns him even from that day the spurs were chasing his ass in FA...

now its ghills turn to own some ass

NFGIII
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
FWD - good post and comparison between Drob and Dirk's teams. I feel sorry for Dirk, too. He was the only guy to bring it consistently for his team in this series. He really needs another suprstar with the low post game to augment his game. I just don't see him winning anything as long as he is the only stud on that team.

As for Marion: He can't play in a half court game. We've seen this when he was in Phoenix and now we saw it in this series. Everytime the running game disappears so does Marion. His effectiveness is just minimal when the game slows down. And since he is the Mavs starting SF that's a huge disadvantage when that happens. He needs to go but his contract probably will prevent that.

raspsa
04-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Hire RC Buford and Pop away from the Spurs then have them rebuild the Mavs from ground up. Oh, by the way, Cuban will have to be a hands-off owner and his role will be limited to signing checks.

sananspursfan21
04-30-2010, 10:27 AM
why's this addressed to mavs fans? they don't have any say-so in the front office.... unless cuban's trying some sorta democracy thing, which i wouldn't put it past him

Spurminator
04-30-2010, 10:33 AM
I think the Mavs have most of the pieces they need. They just need to work on the rotation and the chemistry.

Dirk, Butler, Haywood, Boubouis, Marion, Stevenson, and Barea are keepers. Move Boubouis up in the rotation and leave Barea on the bench as a desperate energy option. I'm waiting to hear if there was an injury hampering Kidd but he had a good regular season so I don't think it's a bad thing to have him as your starting PG moving forward.

Trade Damp's contract and possibly Terry, but otherwise this is still a good team with a lot of depth and a lot of good interchangeable pieces that, as long as they have consistent roles that they are satisfied with, can be a Championship contender next year without any big overhaul.

dbestpro
04-30-2010, 10:35 AM
The only way I see the Mavs not blowing up this team is if they could somehow get Bosh this off-season.

They might have to blow up the team to get Bosh. Could you imagine a sign and trade Bosh for Dirk.

Cry Havoc
04-30-2010, 10:39 AM
They might have to blow up the team to get Bosh. Could you imagine a sign and trade Bosh for Dirk.

Why would they do that?

Dirk >>>>> Bosh

SpurOutofTownFan
04-30-2010, 10:43 AM
As for Marion: He can't play in a half court game. We've seen this when he was in Phoenix and now we saw it in this series. Everytime the running game disappears so does Marion. His effectiveness is just minimal when the game slows down. And since he is the Mavs starting SF that's a huge disadvantage when that happens. He needs to go but his contract probably will prevent that.

This has always been my theory - marion's best friend has always been stevey nash

venitian navigator
04-30-2010, 10:51 AM
The main problem for the mavs is that they make a "revolution" every year...just this year they have the new faces of Marion, Boubois, Haywood, Butler...three of them are part of the starting five (with Butler like their second weapon), the other being a rookie deserving a lot of playng time...and just last year they changed totally their game adding Kidd.

When you face a team like ours, with his three main players playing together for something like ten years (while our "rookie" plays no more than 10 minutes of play offs game, and our sophopmore spent an entire year just for learning the system) and the new possibly "good" players spending all the regular season (struggling) for the understanding of the basics of the spur's playing, and that just for being our fifth and sixth weapon, you can undestand some reason why, in the crucial moments of the game, our team had a little more confidence in executing...