PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Shooter Robinson catching on to defense

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Shooter Robinson catching on to defense
Web Posted: 05/09/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050905.4C.BKNspurs.robinson.256fe4f59.html

There was a time, early in Glenn Robinson's NBA career, when an opposing coach setting up a last-second play that would win or lose a game against Robinson's Milwaukee Bucks, instructed his players simply to get the ball to whatever player Robinson was defending and get out of the way.

Robinson and defense have been a basketball oxymoron since his pro career began with the Bucks in 1994.

But in Game 1 of the Spurs' Western Conference semifinals series against the Seattle SuperSonics, Robinson was one of the players Spurs coach Gregg Popovich cycled in to defend the Sonics' No. 2 scoring threat, 6-foot-10 All-Star forward Rashard Lewis.

They're not going to believe this in Milwaukee or Atlanta, and certainly not in Philadelphia. Robinson did some solid defensive work as the Spurs took a 1-0 lead with a 103-81 victory.

Defense, it seems, is contagious.

Robinson took a charge by Lewis with 8:42 left in the first half, on his very first shift on the court.

He blocked a shot by Seattle's Antonio Daniels a few minutes later, and he even kept the ball in play, to a teammate.

He took another charge, this one from Damian Wilkens, in the fourth period.

If you squinted, you might have thought Robinson was Bruce Bowen.

What has gotten into a player whose offensive ascendancy covered up for gross defensive deficiencies in the past?

"We had him hypnotized about two weeks ago," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said

Even Robinson, known to one and all as the Big Dog, had to laugh at that sideways compliment.

"Well, then, let's keep it going," he said. "Let's ride this all the way out to the championship."

Popovich understands Robinson still has a long way to go to be the kind of defender on which the Spurs have relied during his tenure on the bench. But he appreciates the fact the veteran, still one of the game's outstanding shooters, has worked hard to buy into the Spurs' defensive system.

"Glenn's really trying to buy into the defense and understand the system and what we're trying to do defensively," Popovich said. "Whether it's the team defense or the individual responsibility, I think he's responded real well in the short time that he's been here."

The system relies on funneling shooters to the Spurs' big men, and it is perfect for Robinson.

"I've got help," Robinson said. "I've got Timmy (Duncan) back there, and if my man beats me he's always covering for me. I'm just trying to get better, get my legs back and learn the system. I think it's been working out fine."

That Robinson continues to rediscover the perfect shooting stroke that brought him into this season with a career scoring average of 20.7 portends an even greater role for him during the Spurs' playoff run, especially with Devin Brown still unable to get his legs back after suffering a back injury late in the regular season.

"I've never played with a great big man like Timmy before," Robinson said, "and that's what's great. That's why I've worked on my shot even more. I'm used to shooting with a hand in my face. When I first got here I got a couple of wide-open looks, and they didn't fall because I was so shocked. I'm just not used to getting wide-open looks. But I get them now."

mookie2001
05-09-2005, 12:44 AM
he's one of those guys who could always play D, but it served him better not to if he played 40 min, now since he doesnt play that much he doesnt mind impressing pop and showing what he can do on D

Mr. Body
05-09-2005, 01:04 AM
The guy has nice hands and could always strip the ball. He's strong and hard to back down. What's different is he's really working hard. Keeping his man in front of him, moving his butt to cover rotations. It's a joy.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 01:06 AM
The guy has nice hands and could always strip the ball. He's strong and hard to back down. What's different is he's really working hard. Keeping his man in front of him, moving his butt to cover rotations. It's a joy.

Strange things happen to a man when he's working for a contract.

He must have a good basketball IQ, as Pop would say, because he caught on to the rotations and other defensive ideas very quickly.

I'm glad he's here and trying hard. I would have liked him for just hitting timely mid-range jumpers, so the D is a just a big bonus.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Big Dog was drawing charges tonight like they were going out of style.

He's got a strong upper body and strong hands to rip the ball away from people, and he's playing with a "this shit's fun, let's go win a ring" attitude that shows in every step he takes out on the floor.

Good stuff.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:07 AM
Id like for pop to increase his minutes a little more.

Some more run at the end of the first quarter and majority of the second, little at the end of the 3rd majority of the 4th...

timvp
05-09-2005, 01:07 AM
Glenn Robinson is one of the most natural basketball talents to come out of the college ranks in the last 20 years. Everything about his game is so pure.

It's a shame that he didn't put this type of effort into it his whole career.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:08 AM
this shit's fun, let's go win a ring" attitude

The exact same attitude that a one Stephen Jackson had.

Hopefully he could do some of the stuff Jack did in 03.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:08 AM
most natural basketball talents

not to mention one of the most amazingly quick to get hot jump shooters I have ever seen.

Guy was bannanas out there tonight.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Big Dog was drawing charges tonight like they were going out of style.
Yeah, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

It's amazing how Pop gets these guys to buy into his system year after year.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2005, 01:41 AM
It's not that amazing. "Play defense or you watch from the bench". In Robinson's case, "Play defense or you watch from your couch".

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:49 AM
"Play defense or you watch from the bench". In Robinson's case, "Play defense or you watch from your couch".
Well put.

Gummi
05-09-2005, 04:49 AM
I've been really impressed by his play. This move could end up being the difference for us this season. Every time he takes a shot I feel it's going in. He shows alot of confidence in his shot and that's great. To be able to bring a natural scorer off the bench like Glenn is going to help us alot later on. His D has also impressed me, esp. on the low post.

Samr
05-09-2005, 06:55 AM
It's not that amazing. "Play defense or you watch from the bench". In Robinson's case, "Play defense or you watch from your couch".

:lol Nicely done.

The Spurs were the ones that gave G-Rob another chance. He seems to appreciate it. Now let's just hope he remembers it.

SPARKY
05-09-2005, 08:15 AM
He has definitely impressed, so far. One starts to wonder if the Spurs would be able to retain him and bring in Scola with a split of the MLE this offseason. GRobinson still has plenty of game left, has shown he can fit with this team, and he's only 32. He'd be a great guy to have on the bench for the next couple of seasons. Still, there should be a number of teams this summer with the MLE that wouldn't mind adding another jumpshooter with a career 20 point per game average. A neighbor to the north comes to mind...

SpursWoman
05-09-2005, 08:25 AM
"We had him hypnotized about two weeks ago," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said

:lmao

Guru of Nothing
05-09-2005, 09:04 AM
He has definitely impressed, so far. One starts to wonder if the Spurs would be able to retain him and bring in Scola with a split of the MLE this offseason. GRobinson still has plenty of game left, has shown he can fit with this team, and he's only 32. He'd be a great guy to have on the bench for the next couple of seasons. Still, there should be a number of teams this summer with the MLE that wouldn't mind adding another jumpshooter with a career 20 point per game average. A neighbor to the north comes to mind...

I have not looked over every team's salary situation, but if I'm Cleveland, I might make a nice offer to Big Dog. Maybe hire PJ too.

SPARKY
05-09-2005, 09:10 AM
GRob has "Mav" written all over him.

Perhaps his newfound defensive prowess has changed that.

Guru of Nothing
05-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Maybe true, but Cleveland has 20 points per game written all over it.