PDA

View Full Version : Beating the Suns, Spurs pick and roll, and in-between game

GSH
04-30-2010, 12:59 PM
One of the big keys to beating the Suns will be controlling the pace of the game. Limiting the number of total possessions, keeping the Suns out of transition, and pushing them deeper into the shot clock. That sounds like it's all about defense. But it's also going to require the Spurs to be efficient in their half court offense.

The Spurs pick and roll showed some holes in the first round. It started with guys slipping a lot of picks, rather than making sure to get a body on the defender, and force him to change direction. (One thing Fab always did was set good, solid picks.) Slipping the pick doesn't force the defense to switch and create mismatches. It also destroys the angles and the timing for the pick and roll. It's one of the reasons the Mavs picked off so many interior passes. The Mavs turned a lot of those steals into points, but the Suns will make them into a circus.

The Spurs have a lot of players who are good at taking it to the hole. They really need some 3-point shots to fall to stretch the Suns defense, and relieve some of the congestion in front of the rim. But against the Suns, missed 3-pointers turn into long rebounds and fast breaks. One thing that would go a long way is a little more mid-range offense. I was watching the Jazz a few nights ago, and noticed them mixing in a good number of pick and pop plays. It reminded me of how deadly Tim was with that jump shot from around the free throw line. Maybe I just haven't been looking for it, but I can't remember the last time I saw him take that shot. Between that and his 12-15 foot bank shot from the wing, he may be our best mid-range threat.

Open the paint up just a little bit, and Tony, Manu, and George will go nuts. It would also force the Suns to rotate to the rim, rather than camping and waiting for them - which usually translates into more whistles. And that could be one of the Spurs' big advantages in the series. When they are pushed, the Suns will commit more fouls (and turnovers) than their opponents. And every trip to the FT line is one less chance for a Suns fast break.

sa_butta
04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
One of the big keys to beating the Suns will be controlling the pace of the game. Limiting the number of total possessions, keeping the Suns out of transition, and pushing them deeper into the shot clock. That sounds like it's all about defense. But it's also going to require the Spurs to be efficient in their half court offense.

The Spurs pick and roll showed some holes in the first round. It started with guys slipping a lot of picks, rather than making sure to get a body on the defender, and force him to change direction. (One thing Fab always did was set good, solid picks.) Slipping the pick doesn't force the defense to switch and create mismatches. It also destroys the angles and the timing for the pick and roll. It's one of the reasons the Mavs picked off so many interior passes. The Mavs turned a lot of those steals into points, but the Suns will make them into a circus.

The Spurs have a lot of players who are good at taking it to the hole. They really need some 3-point shots to fall to stretch the Suns defense, and relieve some of the congestion in front of the rim. But against the Suns, missed 3-pointers turn into long rebounds and fast breaks. One thing that would go a long way is a little more mid-range offense. I was watching the Jazz a few nights ago, and noticed them mixing in a good number of pick and pop plays. It reminded me of how deadly Tim was with that jump shot from around the free throw line. Maybe I just haven't been looking for it, but I can't remember the last time I saw him take that shot. Between that and his 12-15 foot bank shot from the wing, he may be our best mid-range threat.

Open the paint up just a little bit, and Tony, Manu, and George will go nuts. It would also force the Suns to rotate to the rim, rather than camping and waiting for them - which usually translates into more whistles. And that could be one of the Spurs' big advantages in the series. When they are pushed, the Suns will commit more fouls (and turnovers) than their opponents. And every trip to the FT line is one less chance for a Suns fast break.
I think Mcdyess has also shown that he can hit that midrange shot with some consitency. I think Duncan will need to be a bit more aggressive offensively I dont like it when I see him try to will the ball in.

Dice
04-30-2010, 01:13 PM
I want to see Tony and George go to the hole every time they get Nash on them. Make him work as hard as possible on the defensive end.

GSH
04-30-2010, 01:38 PM
I think Mcdyess has also shown that he can hit that midrange shot with some consitency. I think Duncan will need to be a bit more aggressive offensively I dont like it when I see him try to will the ball in.

McDyess is awesome, and those jumpers of his went a long way to putting the Spurs over the top. We need his points. But I don't think it causes the other team to make a lot of adjustment.

I'm just saying that running the pick and pop to Duncan a few times a game would probably force the Suns to adjust. Tim is also such a good passer, and it would open up some backdoor cuts (maybe Jefferson?) for easy points.

We used to laugh about Duncan shooting that jumper from out near, or just beyond the free throw line. It seemed like he hit it almost every time with someone guarding him, but he struggled with the same shot when nobody was guarding him. I like the thought if him shooting that shot more than Bonner or Mason missing 3-pointers, and the Suns having a track meet. Tim will get his points in the paint, but when he's farther out the paint is a lot more porous.

sa_butta
04-30-2010, 01:44 PM
McDyess is awesome, and those jumpers of his went a long way to putting the Spurs over the top. We need his points. But I don't think it causes the other team to make a lot of adjustment.

I'm just saying that running the pick and pop to Duncan a few times a game would probably force the Suns to adjust. Tim is also such a good passer, and it would open up some backdoor cuts (maybe Jefferson?) for easy points.

We used to laugh about Duncan shooting that jumper from out near, or just beyond the free throw line. It seemed like he hit it almost every time with someone guarding him, but he struggled with the same shot when nobody was guarding him. I like the thought if him shooting that shot more than Bonner or Mason missing 3-pointers, and the Suns having a track meet. Tim will get his points in the paint, but when he's farther out the paint is a lot more porous.
It seems Tim has been shooting that shot alot more flat lately, kind of the way he shoots his FTs. Maybe Bonner and his rainbow shot could show Duncan about getting some arc under that shot...:lol Another thing that makes me nervous is when he is on the wing and draws the double he loses the ball alot when he puts it on the floor. The guards seem to be able to poke it away.

GSH
05-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Utah ate Denver's lunch with that pick and pop last night.

It would be a great way to mix things up a bit against the Suns, and maybe help Tim find his rhythm too.

senorglory
05-01-2010, 01:22 PM
The turnovers in the half court have been killing us as they turn into fast break points for the other team, and combined with our still sometimes anemic offense, two turnovers and two long rebounds off of outside clankers can be a very disheartening 8 - 0 Mavs (Suns?) run.

Need to take care of the ball.

spursfaninla
05-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Tony, manu, hill, duncan, and dice are all happy to take jumpers. I think that we are fine with the pick and pop.

Manu was taking plenty of shots when the defense backed off on pnr.

However, dallas would switch and jump out on the pnr, and they were doing a good job of crowding tony so that he was not comfortable passing to the roller. Our guards are more dangerous either shooting or slashing than they are passing to the roller. I would say less than 20% of the pnr plays result in the roller scoring for us.

If that changes, the defense can't cheat. Hopefully we see that improvement in our pnr.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I think that beating the Suns, like beating the Mavs, is very much in the coaches' hands. Popovich has shown an ability to out-coach everyone the Suns have thrown up there so far in his coaching history. It remains to be seen what happens vs. Gentry.

Popovich lets his best defensive moves wait until the 4th quarter, then sees how the other team reacts. Often they don't have time to adjust and the Spurs are able to "wear them down", which is really a strategy thing, not an effort thing. For example, he waits to double Nowitzki until the 4th (sometimes).

Against the Suns, he lets them run the high screen with Nash and Amare until the 4th, and Amare goes crazy and scores 35 and everything thinks Amare's the league's best player. Then, they change it up, and deny the roll pass, forcing Nash to become a scorer. Or, they double Nash when he crosses half court forcing the Suns to run the P&R with someone else, or have someone else shoot a 3. In any case it takes them out of their game and they have to adjust.

Behrooz24
05-02-2010, 10:34 PM
how did Portland defend the Nash/Amare pick and roll?

NRHector
05-02-2010, 11:01 PM
how did Portland defend the Nash/Amare pick and roll?the pick and roll is very predictable, from watching the game on tv you can tell when they are going to do it. I think the Spurs need to play good defense on Amare, don't let him slide down the paint so freely or make him pass it when he catch the pass

Amuseddaysleeper
05-02-2010, 11:37 PM
how did Portland defend the Nash/Amare pick and roll?

They didn't. Three of their biggest losses this season came in Round 1.