PDA

View Full Version : George Karl Might Not Return Next Season

duncan228
04-30-2010, 01:26 PM
George Karl Might Not Return Next Season (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-georgekarlmightnotre)
SportingNews

Everyone in the NBA feels for the George Karl right now. While the Nuggets stand on the brink of losing a first-round series despite holding homecourt advantage, Karl is away from basketball while undergoing serious cancer treatment. Not only is his health in trouble, but he’s also forced to stay away from the sport he loves most.

At first, we were told that Karl would only be out for isolated games towards the end of the regular season. Then he would miss the end of the regular season but return for the playoffs. Now, of course, he’s missed the entire first round with no comeback in sight. And, as Yahoo!’s Marc Spears learned in a piece about the general status of the Nuggets, Karl could be out for even longer than anticipated (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ar9yPRHWO5wc9.xRJ2KKE36zvLYF?slug=mc-jazznuggets042910):

“I see him every day when we are in town,” said Karl’s son, Nuggets guard Coby Karl. “…I think his biggest disappointment is he’s all about respecting the game and he’s disappointed in some of the effort.”

Coby Karl said his father has the passion to return next season, but it remains to be seen whether his health will allow it. “It’s going to be his choice,” Coby Karl said. “He’s still struggling with his voice. The only thing is his voice is still bothering him. He’s getting better every day. One of his first loves has always been basketball and doing it the right way.”

At this point, it seems prudent to assume that Karl is done coaching. His cancer is clearly very serious, so much so that his future in basketball seems up-in-the-air even after several rounds of treatment. It wouldn’t be shocking to see him retire this summer.

As such, the Nuggets also need to adjust their plans for this season and beyond. They shouldn’t try to force Karl out of the job—that would be extremely low—but it seems worth it to bring in an assistant for next season with head-coaching experience, someone who can command the respect of the locker room in case Karl isn’t able to come back.

It’s tough to think about basketball when Karl is in this kind of situation. However, at some point Denver will need to do what’s best for their future, too.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 01:30 PM
I hope he does what makes him happy. He looks very tired. Getting chemo/radiation drains everything in your body. I just hope he can live a healthy life for a while.

DJ Mbenga
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
he should just retire. you dont need the stress of basketball to worry about and espeically the thuggets with all their characters

TheManFromAcme
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Get well George.
I hope and pray he pulls out of this and is back at coaching real soon. Love him or hate him, he's been a fixture around the league for quite a while now and would be wierd without him.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 01:39 PM
It is sad to see his team melt down and act like they have. I am sure he is disappointed.

The Gemini Method
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM
You could see just how taxing the treatments were when they interviewed him the other night. Couple that with stress his team is probably putting him through, it would seem that he would be better off taking time off to deal with his health.

mingus
04-30-2010, 02:24 PM
i hope he gets well. the nuggets are a mentally fragile team that sorely miss his direction. it's anarchy w/o him.

redzero
04-30-2010, 02:26 PM
It doesn't matter, because they have Chauncey Billups.

DPG21920
04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Just as an aside, it is really sad to see Melo take a big step backwards. I really thought he had turned a corner mentally and I thought he had actually matured. He really has not, and as soon as Karl was out, he used that as a license to act like a child.

j.dizzle
04-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Just as an aside, it is really sad to see Melo take a big step backwards. I really thought he had turned a corner mentally and I thought he had actually matured. He really has not, and as soon as Karl was out, he used that as a license to act like a child.
:lol I think the same about Melo. After the Olympics it looked like he matured a lot but I just dont think he's that smart of a guy in general. He's the type of player that plays like a moron when he gets frustrated & I dont think it'll ever change..The same goes for 90% of the Nuggets team hahaha...If I was Karl I would just take some time off to spend with family & figure everything out when 100% healthy again.

Shastafarian
04-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Return to what? Life? It's pretty ridiculous at this point in his treatment to even be discussing basketball. I thought the piece Rick Reilly (who should die in a fire) did was so fucking stupid.

TheManFromAcme
04-30-2010, 03:03 PM
:lol I think the same about Melo. After the Olympics it looked like he matured a lot but I just dont think he's that smart of a guy in general. He's the type of player that plays like a moron when he gets frustrated & I dont think it'll ever change..The same goes for 90% of the Nuggets team hahaha...If I was Karl I would just take some time off to spend with family & figure everything out when 100% healthy again.

Based on cranial aptitude, Melo is perhaps one of dumbest guys in the league. Just flat out, good old fashion.....D-U-M-B. :donkey

mingus
04-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Melo will never be a leader. he has to be surrounded by high character guys in order to cancel out his lack of leadership. it's really not his fault. and he's actually improved a lot since when he was a the douchebag of the NBA. but not doing as much stupid shit, or any stupid shit, doesn't make you a leader. if that were the case, a lot of guys in the league would be leaders. plain and simple: with him, he's just flat out stupid. and he's probably the most hohum, uncharismatic "superstar" in the league. as a first option, he'll never succeed. a great guy to give the second punches on a championship team, but i don't want him throwing the first punches.

crc21209
04-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Man poor guy...hopefully George does what is best for him and his family...

Giuseppe
04-30-2010, 04:39 PM
He's been touched, like Rudy T. You get that close to goin' to live full time with Jesus coaching basketball seems obscene. You want to be close to your wife, children, ma & pa....

- "Death twitches my ear, 'Live' he says, 'I am coming.'"

Ghazi
04-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Nuggets are more or less the same team as last year.

A lot of teams would look good playing a team led by Chris Paul and David West in the 1st round. :lmao 121-63

And of course Dirk's starting 5 featured Antoine Wright and Josh motherfucking Howard last year.

They're the same team, in essence.

Andrew Bynum
04-30-2010, 05:13 PM
It doesn't matter, because they have Chauncey Billups.

:lol

spursfan1000
04-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Nuggets are more or less the same team as last year.

A lot of teams would look good playing a team led by Chris Paul and David West in the 1st round. :lmao 121-63

And of course Dirk's starting 5 featured Antoine Wright and Josh motherfucking Howard last year.

They're the same team, in essence.

Are you still with that 121-63 game? is that all you have?

Avitus1
05-01-2010, 02:08 AM
My heart goes out to George Karl, I hope the best for him.