PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Brown not expected to play key role now

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Spurs notebook: Brown not expected to play key role now
Web Posted: 05/09/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050905.4C.BKNspurs.notebook.256fe4cb4.html

Devin Brown played the final 2:08 of Sunday's game, but Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doesn't expect him to be able to contribute much during the series.

"He's out," Popovich said. "I don't even think about him playing. If it changes as the series goes on, that will be great, but he still doesn't have the explosiveness needed to play at this level."

Brown was valuable during the regular season when the Spurs used a small lineup against Seattle, Phoenix and Dallas.

"It's very difficult against those teams to play two bigs all the time," Popovich said. "For instance, it's hard to chase ... (Vladimir) Radmanovic and (Jerome) James around with Nazr (Mohammed) and Tim (Duncan). Over time, that doesn't work.

"Devin was a huge part of it. It hurts significantly not to have him. He understood how we wanted to play it, and we didn't have to give an inordinate amount of minutes to people like Manu (Ginobili)."

Johnny Ludden

Allen a big Nash fan: Sonics guard Ray Allen said he was pleased to hear Phoenix's Steve Nash was named the league's Most Valuable Player. Allen said he would have voted for Nash over Miami's Shaquille O'Neal because "it sends a great message to the point guards around the league, if you make your team better, you've got a great chance to win the MVP."

"He's not the best player (in the league)," Allen said. "But as far as making that team go, it's Steve Nash."

Allen also predicted Nash's Suns will have little trouble with Dallas in their second-round playoff series.

"I think Dallas will win one game," Allen said. "Phoenix is going to run on them. And I think sometimes with Dallas, they don't know what they're going to do."

No recovery in sight: Sonics forward Rashard Lewis missed three games this season with tendinitis in his left knee, and coach Nate McMillan said Lewis' knee still isn't 100 percent. But it's to the point where the Sonics aren't too worried about it.

"That's going to be day-to-day for the rest of the season," McMillan said. "It will come and go."

Mike Finger

Popovich pleased for Johnson: When Avery Johnson was playing for the Spurs, particularly during their first championship run, Popovich often let Johnson give the team a motivational talk before big games.

So Popovich wasn't surprised when the Dallas Mavericks, now coached by Johnson, scored a decisive victory over the Houston Rockets in Game 7 of their first-round playoff series Saturday.

"I couldn't be happier for Avery," Popovich said, "especially after they lost the first two games and everybody wanted to bury him. He went from idiot to genius in a matter of a week-and-a-half. That's what is funny about this sport. He was the same guy at the beginning of the playoffs that he was at the end. But for him to pull that group through that — and you know some of his mental toughness was huge, in that regard — I'm thrilled for him."

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:42 AM
"I couldn't be happier for Avery," Popovich said, "especially after they lost the first two games and everybody wanted to bury him. He went from idiot to genius in a matter of a week-and-a-half. That's what is funny about this sport. He was the same guy at the beginning of the playoffs that he was at the end. But for him to pull that group through that — and you know some of his mental toughness was huge, in that regard — I'm thrilled for him."

and with that Whottt's hate of Popovich grows even more....

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 12:50 AM
I told you guys that Marks should have been on the roster.

There's always the risk of re-injury, and he's not nearly at full strength, so Pop's missing a body now.

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Marks blows are you nuts.

The only one to make the case for wouldve been LJ3 and that wouldve been for his defense and ability to guard a Rashard Lewis, or a Shawn Marion.

Other than that, Marks, Wilks, or LJ3 <<<<< injured Devin Brown.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:53 AM
I told you guys that Marks should have been on the roster.

There's always the risk of re-injury, and he's not nearly at full strength, so Pop's missing a body now.

They have plenty of bigs -- Massenburg barely gets into games, so having Marks on the roster would do nothing. Devin will be good to go in later rounds. They don't need Marks at all.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 12:57 AM
Devin will be good to go in later rounds
Do you really think so?

I don't.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:57 AM
Do you really think so?

Yes.

mookie2001
05-09-2005, 12:59 AM
devin will not be denied
i mean its lame but he's from SAN ANTONIO TEXAS

baseline bum
05-09-2005, 01:02 AM
It's better to have Devin on for the chance that maybe he can come in and give the Spurs 5 good minutes in a game or two than it is to have someone so bad that he'll never give the Spurs anything.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:04 AM
than it is to have someone so bad that he'll never give the Spurs anything.

coughseanmarkscough

Its too bad, i called it back in March when he got hurt this injury would dampen him for the rest of the year and it is looking like I was right.

I hope he can contribute in later series, (god willing)

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Yes.
Thanks for the elaboration.

But seriously, I don't see his back improving to a point where he can be nearly as effective as he was before.

But it may not matter anyway, since the rotations are so much shorter, and if Robinson and Horry continue to play well.

Maybe I'm just over-analyzing.

Hell, I didn't even realize Ray Allen was gone until the end of the third quarter. I was like, Damn, Flip Murray sure is getting alot of playing time.

<---And not one drop of alcohol.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 01:09 AM
I think Devin is a lot closer to being healthy than most people think. The Spurs don't need him right now. Whatever he gives will be a bonus in later rounds. The Spurs are a machine. Every role player (including Devin) will be key at one point or another in this playoff run.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:11 AM
I didn't even realize Ray Allen was gone until the end of the third quarter

your not the only one, I didnt realize he was gone until they started the 3rd, i was like, Dude where the fuck is Ray Allen?

I wonder if he got hurt...

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm not trying to rag on Devin, I love what he brings.

I'm just scared that the next time he goes down, he won't get back up.

But like you said, the Spurs don't need him--right now.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Dude where the fuck is Ray Allen?
Yeah, that's more of what I said, too!!!

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm just scared that the next time he goes down, he won't get back up.

He's had back problems on and off for three years.

Have you always been scared?

timvp
05-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Yeah, that's more of what I said, too!!!

I saw Ray Allen walk passed me into the tunnel with a defeated look. If there was a white flag handy, he would have been waiving it.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:16 AM
???^^^^

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Have you always been scared?
No, because I didn't think those other back injuries were as serious, and I don't think they were.

Backs aren't like knees and ankles, they can end careers in a heartbeat.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:18 AM
saw him walk passed me into the tunnel with a defeated look. If there was a white flag handy, he would have been waiving it.
Who, Devin?

timvp
05-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Damn it you people post too fast :)

texasqb2
05-09-2005, 01:20 AM
I think Devin is a lot closer to being healthy than most people think. The Spurs don't need him right now. Whatever he gives will be a bonus in later rounds. The Spurs are a machine. Every role player (including Devin) will be key at one point or another in this playoff run.

Sorry Kori, I believe Devin Brown has played his last key minutes in a spurs uni. I dont know if they will bring him back especially if the Big Dog re-ups.

I could be wrong, but I am not a big Devin fan. The way the Big Dog can score quickly and is actually playing D, I just dont see it.

T Park
05-09-2005, 01:20 AM
was this before the game, or after the game??

If so, I wonder if that spells the back is plateauing and not getting better.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Timvp, how did you edit without it saying you edited, or am I seeing things again?

Man I'm losing it...

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:22 AM
was this before the game, or after the game??

If so, I wonder if that spells the back is plateauing and not getting better.
Timvp was talking about Ray Allen.

timvp
Devin will be fine. Pop will stay in the negative mode about him until the moment he puts him out there. He's not going to give the other team any clue and be like, "Yeah, Devin is making huge strides and he's about ready to roll."

He's going to stay in this CIA mode where Devin is on life support.

Kori Ellis
No, because I didn't think those other back injuries were as serious, and I don't think they were.

Backs aren't like knees and ankles, they can end careers in a heartbeat.

Pretty similar injuries to what he's had in the past. This injury is an inflamed nerve around two of his discs, dubbed "herniated disc". It's a touchy injury, but it's not close to career ending even if he went down again.

T Park
lol OOOOOO OK.

Sorry bout that.

Exactly what I said when I realized he was gone.

The fucker had just quit, freakin pansy.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:25 AM
It's a touchy injury, but it's not close to career ending even if he went down again.
What?!

We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one.

I just want him healthy. He's one hell of a player with a bunch of potential.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 01:26 AM
All I'm saying is that I think he's closer to healthy than most people think.

And I also think that he's had back problems on and off for a few years and probably will continue to do so now and again, but it doesn't mean he's going to hang up his Nikes.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 01:33 AM
We'll take this up later, Kori.

Just because you have $12,500 in vbookie cash, 21,105 posts, and your name is bold in this forum doesn't mean you're right.

J/K.

Hopefully we'll see a better Devin sometime in these playoffs.

Tek_XX
05-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Do we even need Devin? i'm assuming if we have to rely on Devin we're in deep shit

timvp
05-09-2005, 01:59 AM
Devin versus the Suns would be really helpful.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Devin versus the Suns would be really helpful.
It's too bad that Dallas will dispatch the Suns in 6.

timvp
05-09-2005, 02:17 AM
*BUZZ*

[/spurszoneroundtableflashback]

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Oh, now that's all messed up.

I was just getting over that!!

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 02:26 AM
Oh, now that's all messed up.

I was just getting over that!!

Someone got Minus 3 this week, so you did great! :)

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 02:27 AM
Someone got Minus 3 this week, so you did great!
I'm guaranteeing a win this Thursday.

whottt
05-09-2005, 05:02 AM
and with that Whottt's hate of Popovich grows even more....

1.I don't hate Pop. I hate his ideas about offense.

2.I do hate AJ. But I agree with the league wide sentiment that he will make a great coach. Guys with no game and big mouths always do. I wasn't opposed to AJ becoming an assistant here(but I was vehemently against him ever stepping foot on the court for us again). I just knew it wasn't going to happen.

3.Even though I think he will make a great coach, I would have relished him getting his butt kicked out in the first round and was very hopeful he would lose.

4.I don't hold anyones AJ fandom against them. IF I did I wouldn't be much of a Drob, Elliott, or Mario Elie fan.

5.I do hold AJ fans desire to hang his jersey in my basketball arena, and thereby disgrace my team, against them.

Get it straight.

slayermin
05-09-2005, 05:13 AM
2.I do hate AJ. But I agree with the league wide sentiment that he will make a great coach. Guys with no game and big mouths always do.

That's some funny chit, man.

MadDog73
05-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Hey, Kori, can you delete my thread with this same info? Thanks!

spurster
05-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Devin will be fine. Pop will stay in the negative mode about him until the moment he puts him out there. He's not going to give the other team any clue and be like, "Yeah, Devin is making huge strides and he's about ready to roll."

He's going to stay in this CIA mode where Devin is on life support.
Yeah, what he said.

The chances of getting the Big Dog next year are next to none. Some team will throw at the MLE at him, and the Spurs want to bring in Scola.

Jimcs50
05-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Devin will be good in Phoenix or Dallas series.

Vashner
05-09-2005, 11:09 AM
I think even Big Dave 50 cut it early because of various disk problems. They can be nasty and debilitating. Next to impossible to get a NBA peak performance if your disk is pushing on your spinal cord.

Useruser666
05-09-2005, 11:19 AM
"5.I do hold AJ fans desire to hang his jersey in my basketball arena, and thereby disgrace my team, against them."

I didn't know they had a tax in Austin to pay for the SBC Center?

texasqb2
05-09-2005, 12:32 PM
All I'm saying is that I think he's closer to healthy than most people think.

And I also think that he's had back problems on and off for a few years and probably will continue to do so now and again, but it doesn't mean he's going to hang up his Nikes.

No, but isnt he a FA? I was just saying that there isnt really any minutes for him now that the Big Dog is playing well and I dont think the Spurs will bring back Devin next year.

texasqb2
05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
"5.I do hold AJ fans desire to hang his jersey in my basketball arena, and thereby disgrace my team, against them."

I didn't know they had a tax in Austin to pay for the SBC Center?

I am to too VERY against ever retiring Avery Johnson's jersey. That would be a joke-I had mixed feelings about Sean Elliott. If you're just going on a guy's desire or medical problems (yes, sean did have some great years, but does he deserve to hang with David/Tim/Iceman?) then we should definitely retire Bruce Bowen's jersey, for all the paycuts he took to be a Spur and how we throw him on the best player every night.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:38 PM
No, but isnt he a FA? I was just saying that there isnt really any minutes for him now that the Big Dog is playing well and I dont think the Spurs will bring back Devin next year.

So you think the Spurs will re-sign Glenn? I don't think they'll have the money for that.

Spurminator
05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
If anything, Devin's nice to have as a guard we can put out there during garbage minutes and not have to worry about risking injury to Manu or Barry.

texasqb2
05-09-2005, 03:58 PM
So you think the Spurs will re-sign Glenn? I don't think they'll have the money for that.

I dont know if we'll resign Glenn, heck he may take the vet minimum, who knows? I said this before the season started, if anyone shows interest in Devin, I dont think we'll bring him back unless for the minimum. Hes still sporadic and sometimes ballhogs when he shouldnt (reminds me of SJax). I dont think hes a Pop player.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Those of you that think Glenn isn't going to bolt for the biggest contract he gets offered, you need to prepare for disappointment. If it makes you feel any better, I assure you that at his press conference he will say "It's not about the money"

texasqb2
05-09-2005, 11:49 PM
I didnt say he would not take the biggest contract, I just said him staying or leaving doesnt change my mind about Devin. People here overrate him just like they do Malik and I dont think the Spurs will bring him back. He is not a guy I trust late in the game just like I dont trust SJax (yeah yeah, he was clutch in some games, but his terrible shooting and turnovers took us out of many games)