PDA

View Full Version : MVP of the series?

DAF86
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
To me it was McDyess, by far the most consistent player during the entire series, affected the game in many ways (on the defensive end, on the offensive boards, and with his mid-range jumper). He played as well as you could have expected from him.

RedRaider
04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
McDyess had some really good mid range jumpers and was a beast defensively. I'd give it to either him or George Hill. Hill wasn't completely consistent, but he was a huge factor in a few of the games, which obviously the Mavs weren't ready for. Tim played well too.

spursfan1000
04-30-2010, 01:46 PM
No doubt George Hill if it wasnt for him we would have not won this series, everyone else is expected to do good but Hill really showed up. My vote is Hill.

DAF86
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM
No doubt George Hill if it wasnt for him we would have not won this series, everyone else is expected to do good but Hill really showed up. My vote is Hill.

McDyess was expected to do as well as he did?

spursfan1000
04-30-2010, 01:48 PM
McDyess was expected to do as well as he did?

Well he did good but not as good as Hill.

bus driver
i think that was tough between hill and dice
but i picked hill because his meant more

RedRaider

Your sig is extremely distracting.. :wow

sa_butta
04-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Really tough between Hill and Mcdyess, but I went with Hill

nkdlunch
04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
very tough one. all those guys were the difference. I'd take TD because it all starts and ends with TD. His D and rebounding were the most important factor.

spursfan1000
04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Your sig is extremely distracting.. :wow

lol what is it? I have it on where I can't see the signatures.

clambake
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
carlisle

Trainwreck2100
rick carlisle

spursfan1000
carlisle

:lmao

Darkwaters
04-30-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm torn between Bogans or Mason as MVP of the series.

DAF86
04-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Well he did good but not as good as Hill.

Hill was meh at best in three of the six games. Dice was solid during the entire series.

spursfan1000
04-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Hill was meh at best in three of the six games. Dice was solid during the entire series.

Hill was the one that led us to win them three games...Dice just contributed in the series but not anything big, he did play well though.

Dice
04-30-2010, 01:54 PM
I'd give Hill and Dice co-MVP's. First couple of games Hill wasn't as much of a factor but came up big at the end. Dice was fairly solid the entire series except for the tank game.

DAF86
carlisle

Agreed but I wanted this to be a hard choice.

Pauleta14
Pop

Arrowch4
04-30-2010, 01:56 PM

This.

The Gemini Method
Jet

Dex
Dice and Hill both stepped up with big games, but they also had some pretty invisible ones as well.

Manu was the backbone for the Spurs this entire series. If it weren't for him, Spurs wouldn't have been in a single contest. Even if he wasn't scoring well, his leadership and presence on the floor steadied the team and he was always there with a big shot when it counted. Moreso than Tim or Tony, this series revolved around Manu.

DAF86
04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Hill was the one that led us to win them three games...Dice just contributed in the series but not anything big, he did play well though.

What three games? game 4 definitely and he was huge in the 4th quarter yesterday (not so much the rest of the game) but what other game are you talking about? That one where he scored 17 pts on 6 of 16 shooting with only one assist in 45 minutes?

poop
04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
the ball

it went in

DAF86
04-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Dice and Hill both stepped up with big games, but they also had some pretty invisible ones as well.

Manu was the backbone for the Spurs this entire series. If it weren't for him, Spurs wouldn't have been in a single contest. Even if he wasn't scoring well, his leadership and presence on the floor steadied the team and he was always there with a big shot when it counted. Moreso than Tim or Tony, this series revolved around Manu.

When??? He was even decent in game 5.

angelbelow
04-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Tony is rightfully last IMO - and thats not a bad thing.

Sisk
04-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Hill barely beating Dice IMO

But still, Hill

spursfaninla
04-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Tony is rightfully last IMO - and thats not a bad thing.

I changed my mind while answering this. I did say tie between several, but changed it to Manu. Even when not scoring, he is doing everything else. He is tied with Tony for assists, has a bunch of rebounds and steals, and creates for everyone else.

Tony is still getting back really, but don't discount his importance, especially in this round. Tony is averaging 5 assists with manu, and will become more and more efficient in scoring. As he does, we become MUCH better, because we have guys that can play off that (rj, dice, duncan, hill).

Manu was probably the most important player overall, but so many players were so important: Hill, Duncan, Dice, Parker, RJ, even Blair and Bonner giving decent backup minutes at time were important to a lesser extent.

With that said, Manu was NOT supermanu since the injury, which we probably will need at some point in the series. Parker also needs to probably score 20 for us to beat phx.

Spurminator
04-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Rick Carlisle.

Darkwaters
04-30-2010, 02:13 PM
MVP: Manu
X-Factor: Hill

DAF86
04-30-2010, 02:14 PM
The list for me goes this way:

1-Dice
2-Tim
3-Manu
4-Hill
5-Tony

Old School 44
04-30-2010, 02:16 PM
IUPUI! George Hill gives the Spurs a flexibility at the guard spot they haven't had since Stephen Jackson left town. He had a great series. If he doesn't step up for the one monster game when the big three combined for only 31 pts, we don't win that game, and possibly the series.

ginobilized
04-30-2010, 02:22 PM
I vote for the proboscis.

Manu was MVP. He was the catalyst and most dynamic player this series. AND he had a broken nose.

He involved Hill so well and put Hill in a position to succeed. Granted, Hill stepped up and delivered. I don't think that opportunity would've been there had the Mavs not already been keying on the Big 3. The Mavs dared Hill to beat them and he did in 2 games.

MarCowMar
04-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Hill and McDyess both played amazing and Hill may even be reaching into All Star territory. I really thought Manu carried us and was the MVP though.

Doe
04-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Dice was great in almost all of the games. His defense, rebounding, and timely shots were huge.

Pop's game plan was big as well. The way Terry and Kidd became non-factors was huge in this series. Terry was one of the little buggers who tore the Spurs up in '06.

Hill helped the Spurs from going 2-2 into Dallas in game 5. No one knows how the series plays out if that scenario happened.

It' tough to point one guy out for me, it seems like everyone put their stamp on at least one game this series. Dice would probably be my vote though due to the consistency.

Shaolin-Style
04-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Going with Hill. His offense became a huge part of our success and his defense didn't hurt either.

Close second was Dice, the energy and hustle was great to watch, plus came through on spreading the mavs defense with his outside shooting.

Spurminator
04-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Final series +/- tally, FWIW...

Duncan: +25
Manu: -6
Parker: +15
Hill: +7
Dice: +15

The ADMIRAL 50
04-30-2010, 02:27 PM
tony parker was fucking clutch in the fourth quarters of all the close games

Blackjack
04-30-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm torn between Tim and Manu.

The Spurs wouldn't have won without 'Dyess and most likely Hill, but they're essentially role-players that played well. They put the Spurs over the top.

It's my fat boy theory: Alone in his kiddie pool the water nears the brim. But it takes the addition of another kid or two for the brim to be breached -- to put the water over the top.

Without the fat boy, those normal sized kids wouldn't have to worry about the pool overflowing. Tim and Manu brought it to such a level.

Manu was the best player of the series but the Spurs won it with their defense and ability to control pace, so I'm leaning towards the guy who's most responsible for that: Duncan (but I'll think about it).

Refocus
04-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Hill stepped it up when the Big 3 played like ass. With that said, I think all 5 of these players were great this series. :flag:

stéphane
04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
To me it was McDyess, by far the most consistent player during the entire series, affected the game in many ways (on the defensive end, on the offensive boards, and with his mid-range jumper). He played as well as you could have expected from him.

I'm totally with you on this one. One could argue that Manu was really good, that Georges was oustanding shooting the basketball or that Tony thrived in his teamate role and finding ways to matter in the clutch. But Dice who rose so many questions amongst us through out the season was amazing on both side doing the right thing at the right time while being awesome at guarding Dirk. Way to answer the playoff call big fella.

sonic21
04-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Dice, then Tony

kace
04-30-2010, 02:55 PM
the MVP has nothing to do with what was expected from a player. It's just who has the best production whatever his status is. It should be one of the big 3 without a doubt.

#2!
04-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Tony or George for me. Dice was great for the Spurs but it took him until now to do the things we've expected of him all year. I can't give MVP to a player who met minimum expectations. Praise, absolutely; MVP, no.

I went with Tony though. Tony hit clutch shots in the fourth quarters of the series, and seemed to be the cooler for the Maverick's runs the entire series up until the clincher. He has become very adapt at coming off the bench to provide whatever the team needs, in the last game he had a stat line like 10pts, 7 REBOUNDS, 5 assists, 2 steals, and 0 TOs. He also did a good job shutting down Jason Kidd while George was guarding Terry, or whoever else. Clutch baskets+selflessness+multifaceted contributions+leadership/toughness (you see him talking down to Terry and other mavs after he got hit in the last 2 games?)=MVP

tim_duncan_fan
04-30-2010, 02:59 PM
It's really unusual. You can't really pick an MVP because everybody's role was important. Different players will stand out to different fans for different reasons.

The person who stuck out the most to me was Duncan. He didn't score like he usually does in the postseason and he doesn't handle the ball but he was still the key piece to the whole thing. No Duncan no nothin'.

urunobili
04-30-2010, 03:54 PM
RJ won the game in Dallas and he wasn't an option? :wow :wakeup

lefty
04-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Dice

Bukefal
04-30-2010, 04:03 PM
So far, TP and Dice. But of course on these forums TP goes unnoticed. Duncan? no. Manu? He was awesome for us and carried the spurs the second half of the season but in the series, no, not really, especially after the injury, so he is mvp but not for this series.

Juanobili
04-30-2010, 04:10 PM
George Hill's performance in Game 4 was hugeee for the series

I chose him

EmptyMan
04-30-2010, 04:21 PM
1a. Hill
1b. Dyess
2. Manu

siraulo23
04-30-2010, 04:23 PM
manu

we had two x-factors in hill and dice

TampaDude
04-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Manorge Hilnobili :hat

spurs10
04-30-2010, 04:37 PM
The fact that thiis such a hard choice is a good sign for round 2. I just hope Manu truly is 100%, with that broken nose it's hard to believe.

DAF86
04-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Stats:

Tim Duncan- 18.2 ppg- 2.7 assts- 500 FG%- 486 FT%- 9.5 rbds.- .50 stls- 1 blks.- 2.83 TOs

Manu Ginobili- 19 ppg- 5 assts- 417 FG%- 323 3pt%- 872 FT%- 3.7 rbds.- 2.33 stls- .17 blks.- 2.67 TOs.

Tony Parker- 15.8 ppg- 5.7 assts- 470 FG%- 630 FT%- 3.7 rbds.- 1 stls- 1.83 TOs

George Hill- 14.3 ppg- .7 assts- 500 FG%- 500 3pt%- 824 FT%- 3.8 rbds.- 1.17 stls- .67 TOs

Antonio McDyess- 6.7 ppg- 1.2 assts- 541 FG%- 7 rbds- .17 stls- .83 blks.- 1.17 TOs-

Brazil
04-30-2010, 04:42 PM
I'll go with Tim for serie mvp.
I'll give the award of heart of the team to Manu. He is inspiring this team.
I'll give the consistency award to TP. He has been the most regular player of the 6 games.

Bender
04-30-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't see how anyone could pick TD for MVP. He underwhelmed for the first series. On top of that, he shoots sub-500 on FT %. sheesh.

I mean, I'm a big fan, but c'mon...

DAF86
04-30-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't see how anyone could pick TD for MVP. He underwhelmed for the first series. On top of that, he shoots sub-500 on FT %. sheesh.

Duncan's first three games set the tempo for the team (he was the best player on the game that won us the series: game 2 in Dallas), and his defensive presence was very important, and he shot 50% from the field.

DAF86
04-30-2010, 04:54 PM
RJ won the game in Dallas and he wasn't an option? :wow :wakeup

Duncan and Manu > RJ on that game.

And do you really think somebody would have voted for him if I would have put him as an option?

Bender
04-30-2010, 04:55 PM
but fans expect Tim to perform great... like 50% shooting, etc.

Looks like most of his stat line is below what is expected of him. I know he had a great game or two, but he had crap games too.

Brazil
04-30-2010, 04:56 PM

Why? He is averaging near 20 10 at 50% FG with one blk and 3 assists. He defended well all the serie, made clutch plays and he is still the boss.
Now I agree his FTs shooting is outrageous.

Brazil
04-30-2010, 04:57 PM
but fans expect Tim to perform great... like 50% shooting, etc.

Looks like most of his stat line is below what is expected of him. I know he had a great game or two, but he had crap games too.

everybody except TP had crap games

Bender
04-30-2010, 05:01 PM
everybody except TP had crap gamesI guess that's right... :toast

hill's stats are better than what was realistically expected of him though...
50% FG%, even 50% on 3's, low TO's, 82.4% FTs... great stuff.

kace
04-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Final series +/- tally, FWIW...

Duncan: +25
Manu: -6
Parker: +15
Hill: +7
Dice: +15

so the spurs lost when manu was on the court......

Agloco
04-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Hill, and it's not even close.

Blackjack
04-30-2010, 05:06 PM
So far, TP and Dice. But of course on these forums TP goes unnoticed. Duncan? no. Manu? He was awesome for us and carried the spurs the second half of the season but in the series, no, not really, especially after the injury, so he is mvp but not for this series.

I understand the sentiment towards Parker, given the polarizing opinions on this board, but him playing well and hitting clutch shots doesn't make him the MVP; he was a necessary, vital cog to their success, but not the MVP -- Phoenix is his chance for that.

And as far as 'Dyess and Hill go, they're role-players. Granted, the Spurs don't win without them, but they're role-players. They did their job extremely well (for the most part) but neither commands the attention of the opposition or has a bigger impact on the game than Tim or Manu (yet, anyway, in the case of Hill).

Tim had two sub-par offensive performances, one average and three Playoff Tim's. Even with his defense taking a hit due to age and knee problems, he still remains the Spurs only true rim-deterrent and their biggest presence on that end; the Mavs still have to account for and game-plan for him on defense. Tim simply provides the foundation for those around him to thrive.

'Dyess was great on Dirk and even put up better block stats than Tim (slightly and that doesn't account for shots altered or not attempted), but don't do to Duncan what you believe is being done to Parker: overlook or take for granted (just because he wasn't as great as the impossible standard he's set).

Manu was the best player for the Spurs. He wasn't able to sustain the type of play he had to end the season, but the Mavs game-planned for him as if he was the head of the snake. He had spectacular play on both ends (at times) mixed in with a couple of really bad outings (both winding up as losses -- go figure), but his play-making and mere presence made everyone around him better. He put the Mavs on their collective heels, at times defensively, finished the series as the leading scorer and, as always, closed games for the Spurs at the line.

Again, it's my fat boy theory (Alone in his kiddie pool the water nears the brim. But it takes the addition of another kid or two for the brim to be breached -- to put the water over the top.), and Tim and Manu were the ones that put the team in position to have performances like Hill and 'Dyess' get them over the top -- not the other way around.

Tony just wasn't dominant enough offensively, or in the same role we're accustomed to seeing him in, to warrant the MVP for this series.

DAF86
04-30-2010, 05:06 PM
everybody except TP had crap games

Dice didn't have crap games. And in game 4 TP didn't play well.

04-30-2010, 05:09 PM
parker deserves more recognition so i voted for him. his ability to transition onto the bench and still hit some of the most clutch shots in the late game saved the spurs.

kace
04-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Hill, and it's not even close.

Hill scored less points than tony (-1.5 ppg), about the same FG %, same numbers of rebounds while having 4 assists for the whole serie when tony has 34 (ratio ass/TO: 3 for tony ; 1 for Hill).

for the defense, i would say equal. TP, as usual, was very solid in PO. Hill was the good defendor we know, even if, as usual again, largely overrated in that aspect of his game.

As for clutch shots, i think that TP probably made as much in that serie than the rest of the whole team.

so, to argue Hill > TP this serie is just laughable.

and you know what, Tim and Manu were probably even better than Tony for that serie. Hill was our fourth best guy, and that's amazing to have that from him.(i have to mention that Hill scoring, like Dice one, owes a lot to the attention asked by the big three on the offensive end).

The fact that the big 3 wasn't spectacular even if solid and that some role players really stepped up more than expected shouldn't lead to overreaction about the real level of the players involved.

That's why i don't like these threads on a side note.

Spurs Brazil
04-30-2010, 05:35 PM
mvp: Manu
x-factor: Hill

+1

diego
04-30-2010, 05:36 PM

I agree with this, but I voted timmy- he was huge in game 2, and stealing that game is what opened up the series IMO because it crushed the mavs confidence and gameplan. at the end of the day, tim is by far our best big man and that is where games are won and lost.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-01-2010, 02:25 AM
I understand the sentiment towards Parker, given the polarizing opinions on this board, but him playing well and hitting clutch shots doesn't make him the MVP; he was a necessary, vital cog to their success, but not the MVP -- Phoenix is his chance for that.

And as far as 'Dyess and Hill go, they're role-players. Granted, the Spurs don't win without them, but they're role-players. They did their job extremely well (for the most part) but neither commands the attention of the opposition or has a bigger impact on the game than Tim or Manu (yet, anyway, in the case of Hill).

Tim had two sub-par offensive performances, one average and three Playoff Tim's. Even with his defense taking a hit due to age and knee problems, he still remains the Spurs only true rim-deterrent and their biggest presence on that end; the Mavs still have to account for and game-plan for him on defense. Tim simply provides the foundation for those around him to thrive.

'Dyess was great on Dirk and even put up better block stats than Tim (slightly and that doesn't account for shots altered or not attempted), but don't do to Duncan what you believe is being done to Parker: overlook or take for granted (just because he wasn't as great as the impossible standard he's set).

Manu was the best player for the Spurs. He wasn't able to sustain the type of play he had to end the season, but the Mavs game-planned for him as if he was the head of the snake. He had spectacular play on both ends (at times) mixed in with a couple of really bad outings (both winding up as losses -- go figure), but his play-making and mere presence made everyone around him better. He put the Mavs on their collective heels, at times defensively, finished the series as the leading scorer and, as always, closed games for the Spurs at the line.

Again, it's my fat boy theory (Alone in his kiddie pool the water nears the brim. But it takes the addition of another kid or two for the brim to be breached -- to put the water over the top.), and Tim and Manu were the ones that put the team in position to have performances like Hill and 'Dyess' get them over the top -- not the other way around.

Tony just wasn't dominant enough offensively, or in the same role we're accustomed to seeing him in, to warrant the MVP for this series.

this

Kori Ellis
05-01-2010, 02:27 AM
No MVP - team effort.

Cry Havoc
05-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Manu. He's the only player who brought it every game. He's also the only Spurs player that hit any 3s besides Hill.

timvpimp
05-01-2010, 02:33 AM
No MVP - team effort.

excellently true. Dirk was clearly the best player in this series, his team only ended up losing because the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best players of the series were all Spurs. Dirk deserves it more than anyone else, which is safe to say.

m33p0
05-01-2010, 04:53 AM
hard to pin it on one guy. a lot stepped up on different stages of the series.

Bukefal
05-01-2010, 05:14 AM
No MVP - team effort.

This is true. Kori is right, we should count it as team effort instead of being individualistic. :flag:

rascal
05-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Hill.
Hill bailed the team out when Duncan and Manu had off games.

Spursmania
05-01-2010, 09:08 AM
This choice is too difficult. All those guys stepped it up when we needed them to. It was genuinely a team effort.

Amazing jobs each by Hill and Dice. Strong performance by Duncan setting the tone for 3 games in a row. I just can't say enough about Manu's heart and will to win. And, TP coming off the bench and doing a damn good job when we needed him. Way to go guys. Let's see what this team has left for the next round.

ffadicted
05-01-2010, 10:49 AM
How are so many people voting for Hill. He had two good games, let's be real. Dice was the MVP without a doubt, and I'd be ok with manu as well

sonic21
05-01-2010, 11:59 AM
manu and hill were too inconsistent to be mvp (imo).

Cant_Be_Faded
05-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Greatest thing about the series was that there was no true MVP.

Every player had a great part in winning these games for us.

peskypesky
05-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I voted for Hill. He saved our asses twice.

peskypesky
05-01-2010, 12:41 PM
when i look at the series stats, it's hard not to once again give the MVP to Tim, but i still vote for Hill.

carina_gino20
05-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Manu. He's the only player who brought it every game. He's also the only Spurs player that hit any 3s besides Hill.

Did you watch Game 5?

As for the MVP of the series, I'd have to go with either Tim or Manu, though. Hill was spectacular; I just don't think he was MVP. But it's a tough choice.

EVAY
05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Manu.

I know he had a bad game 5. So what? The thing is SERIES MVP. That has to be Manu. Had he been unable or unwilling to play through pain and fear in this series after that broken nose (to say nothing of the same game in which the nose was broken) we would not have won the series. Period.

Bukefal
05-01-2010, 01:31 PM
This poll is more about popularity of each player on ST then based on mvp performances in the series :lol