PDA

View Full Version : Injury bug bites Sonics big time

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Injury bug bites Sonics big time
Web Posted: 05/09/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050905.4C.BKNsonics.injuries.256fe4dc4.html

A fallen Rashard Lewis writhed on the SBC Center baseline Sunday evening, trying to recover from catching a knee in what he later described as his "you-know-what."

His fists pounded the floor. A grimace covered his face. He moaned in agony.

And he was Seattle's healthy star.

On a night in which the Sonics were battered by the Spurs in a 103-81 blowout in the opener of their Western Conference semifinal playoff series, they had more to worry about than bruised egos.

Ray Allen, the NBA's leading scorer this postseason, left the game with 7 minutes, 59 seconds remaining in the second quarter with a sprained right ankle. Only 27 seconds earlier, forward Vladimir Radmanovic was carried off the floor with what appeared to be a more serious version of the same injury.

It was a dizzying stretch in a dizzying game for the Sonics, who all had their own colorful phenomenon with which to compare it.

"Like it rained and poured in the span of 30 seconds," guard Antonio Daniels said.

"It was kind of a tailspin," said guard Luke Ridnour.

"A total disaster," Lewis said.

How disastrous the injuries will be to the Sonics' chances in the rest of the series is yet to be determined. Radmanovic left the building on crutches, and no one in the Seattle locker room sounded optimistic about getting him back anytime soon. Radmanovic had missed the previous 19 games of the regular season with a stress fracture in his right fibula.

X-rays on both Radmanovic and Allen were negative, but the Sonics seemed more hopeful about getting Allen back. They certainly could use him.

He scored eight points on 4-of-7 shooting before his injury, asserting himself with strong drives as he tried to gain an early edge in his much-hyped confrontation with Bruce Bowen.

"He was aggressive from the moment the ball was thrown up," Daniels said. "He was obviously trying to make something happen for himself."

But even with Allen still on the floor, the Spurs already were pulling away. The Sonics, like Denver in the first round, found it almost impossible to establish their usually efficient offense against the Spurs. Seattle didn't get its first fast-break basket until almost four minutes into the third quarter.

They also had trouble taking advantage of what looked like a big mismatch. With Bowen guarding Allen, the Spurs were forced to use a rotation of Brent Barry, Robert Horry and Glenn Robinson on Lewis, an athletic 6-foot-10 forward.

But Lewis went 2 for 9 in the first half and finished with 19 points only after getting some easy baskets during garbage time.

"There were double teams coming from the baseline a lot," Lewis said. "It was kind of difficult to get to the basket."

If Allen doesn't return for Tuesday's Game 2, the Sonics will need more from Lewis and players such as Jerome James, who had only four points and two rebounds.

James, though, didn't want to overestimate his importance.

"I'm Jerome James," he said. "I'm not Ray Allen."

mookie2001
05-09-2005, 12:41 AM
id feel bad for them
if it wasnt the nature of basketball

beno i want to start up the militia again, if you would only let me

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:46 AM
James, though, didn't want to overestimate his importance.

All of a sudden Jerome is humble.

myhc
05-09-2005, 12:48 AM

You sure are! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

red kryptonite
The injuries make for a good excuse. I hope the Sonics are 100% by game 2.

T Park
quoting Cheech from TIn Cup after Kevin costner mumbles be humble teeing off the first hole of the US Open.

"He JJ, you humble now eh holmes?"

Tim Duncan, and others waxing your ass will do that.

BTW, who is the prison bitch now.

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:49 AM
hope the Sonics are 100% by game 2.

Allen will be fine, it doesn't sound good for Radmanovic though.

Id expect more points out of Lewis tuesday night, though, I must admit, Brent Barry stayed in front of him and kept a hand in his face quite well tonight, was quite happy with Brent's D.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2005, 12:50 AM

:lol that ain't what you were saying a week ago, chump.

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:51 AM
a buddy of mine and others around us, everytime JJ was in our end, we kept shouting

"WE ABOUT BUSINESS TONIGHT!!"

lol it was classic, Jerome looked like the big overpaid stiff that he is.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2005, 12:51 AM
I must admit, Brent Barry stayed in front of him and kept a hand in his face quite well tonight, was quite happy with Brent's D.

Did you think so?

They brought in Horry relatively early and put him on Lewis. Plus used GRob on Lewis in the second half.

T Park
05-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Lewis missed quite a few shots early on, and Brent did an OK job.

G Rob did the best.

Robinson's defensive abilities continue to amaze me.

Robinson is starting to look more and more like the All Star that they signed in April.

16 points and not even breakin a sweat?? Damn.

I vote for more minutes tuesday for the dawg.

HB22inSA
05-09-2005, 12:54 AM
I thought Barry played well against Lewis, considering their talent difference.

Seattle is toast if they aren't 100% healthy.

Drachen
05-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Check out this quote:
"I dont want to even think about not having Ray Allen right now" said Sonics center Jerome James, adding that if Allen cant play, "I am more than ready to step up and play like I did in the last series."

This is from the ESPN.com recap

we better watch out, JJ just might "flip a switch"

MannyIsGod
05-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Barry played good defense tonight.

Honestly, I don't care if every one of those Sonics players falls to pieces. They deserve it after all the shit talking they've done.

Wimp? Look at your own team Mr. 4 and 2.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Check out this quote:
"I dont want to even think about not having Ray Allen right now" said Sonics center Jerome James, adding that if Allen cant play, "I am more than ready to step up and play like I did in the last series."

This is from the ESPN.com recap

we better watch out, JJ just might "flip a switch"
I guess the guys on here weren't the only ones who didn't realize Allen wasn't in the game in the second half. James had two and a half quarters to step up? If he matches his average from the Sac series in a single game I'll be shocked.

rwb
05-09-2005, 01:50 AM

So what he's saying is someone has to TELL him when it's time to step up? Whoa, THERE'S a champion for you.

Horry For 3!
05-09-2005, 04:38 AM
The best of Jerome James will be like 6 pts 6 rebs.

slayermin
05-09-2005, 04:50 AM
In my best Dr. McCoy's voice from Star Trek,
"Damn it Jim, I'm a Jerome James, not a Ray Allen."

baseline bum
05-09-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm Jerome James. I'm not Ray Allen.

I thought he was Bill Russell??? :huh

Guru of Nothing
05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
"I'm Jerome James, Bitch!"