PDA

View Full Version : Assessment of Spurs offense through the first series

arakkus
04-30-2010, 03:09 PM
“Playmakers”
Ginobili- very good at the job of either distributing the ball, getting a shot or the foul, making timely 3s even if his % is off from regular season, also great help defense and quick hands grabbing/causing a lot of steals.
Parker-coming off the bench and adding a lot of punch, 3 to 1 assist to TO ratio averaging 6 assists in Dallas series which I have to admit I don’t really see them all. Unlike Ginobili his assists don’t stand out as much but probably the most efficient of the big 3. At times seems to just hold on to the ball and just pass it back and forth to a perimeter player but the jumpshot still falling enough that it’s not causing too much problems for our offense. Playing decent defense as well.
Duncan- Disappointed in Duncan’s isolation offense some flashes but much easier to cover one on one. In the past this never would have happened in fact anyone besides Shaq would have been automatic points for us (and that’s only because they allowed Shaq to physically push Duncan away from the basket without getting fouls). Extremely good off pick and rolls when he plays aggressively and rolls to basket would prefer to see him more involved in these type of plays against more physical defensive players (still probably good enough to crush the suns in isolation plays though especially with Lopez out). Defensively still as solid as ever great rebounding, good rotations, and doing his best to alter shots without picking up dumb fouls (aka D. Howard).
“Role players”
Hill-His scoring is right up there with the big 3 perhaps by next year we will be calling them the Big 4, however, possibly due to some confidence issues is still rare to initiate his own offense. Incredibly good when one of the playmakers feeds him in which he has an advantage over his defender. The most efficient scorer for the spurs in the first round 56% adjusted FG% with less than one turnover per game. Good defense especially with help defense and rotations, lots of energy going for loose balls and rebounds.
Jefferson-Suppose to be the 4th option but just not really meshed. Most of the plays I see him score on remind me of Marion. Opportunistic putbacks, blowing past out of position defender, wide open jumpshots. 2nd best in adjusted FG% with 55% but of course scoring only scoring 9ppg and almost 2 TO a game. If he kept to those types of plays I would be happier with him but seems to suffer for some horrible decision making and poor court awareness charging into areas right when another Spur is entering, throwing lazy passes, etc… So-so defense, finally starting to get the team concept usually funnels the ball handler where we want. I like the fact he doesn’t leave his feet too much and bite on pump fakes, however, still upsetting that despite playing conservatively that he still is beat off the dribble. Good physical rebounding and aggressive help defense not afraid to get in the air and go for the block from the blind side.
Mcdyess-efficient, lots of energy, pretty much what we wanted when we signed him he is delivering in the playoffs. Only negative I can see is getting wide open looks a few feet from the basket for some reason seems to struggle. He is very good wide open from 15ft but terrible from 5. I also prefer pick in rolls with Duncan instead of him because we don’t seem to get an advantage as he is not good at rolling to the basket.
Everyone else- Bonner, Mason, Bogans just terrible. Not that we expect much from this far down the line but they really don’t bring much. Very one dimensional and not even playing that well. Blair has had some flashes on offense because of this I think he is playable but is downright terrible on defense. His help defense leaves much to be desired takes way too many chances and one on one I cringe. I would prefer we double team his guy immediately let him try and use those quick hands of his when they are immobile.
Going Forward the SUNS
I think we are going to blow the Suns away their porous defense is going to lead big games for our playmakers with easy wide open scoring opportunities for the role players. Some might think I am being too critical in my assessment but the Spurs have better personnel than the Suns and several mismatches with we will be able to exploit. Suns have a chance of course if they can play efficiently and just outscore with their great offense but most likely the Spurs defense and a couple poor shooting nights are going to do them in. Bonner might even come out and be the best big man off the bench in this series though Blair might prove me wrong.
SPURS 4 -SUNS 1 :flag: