PDA

View Full Version : Kidd a no-show at team closeout

BigJoeD
04-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Somebody's pissed :lol

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4668886/kidd-a-no-show-at-team-close-out

DALLAS -- Point guard Jason Kidd did not show up for Friday's team meeting, instead leaving early for Phoenix, where he lives, coach Rick Carlisle said.

The Dallas Mavericks ended their season prematurely, in their estimation, Thursday night, losing 4-2 to the San Antonio Spurs in a first-round series.

"No, it's not surprising," Carlisle said of Kidd's absence. "Look, he's gone. He went back to Phoenix, I think to get away from it and do some personal things, and so I got no problem with that."

Kidd, 37, struggled through a subpar series, averaging 8.0 points on 30.4 percent shooting and 7.0 assists. He was never able to put his stamp on the series and he was outplayed by the Spurs' two point guards of Tony Parker and George Hill.

Word began to leak out after Game 6 that Kidd had the flu to start the series and that he physically wasn’t at his best. Kidd finished Thursday night’s game with just three points and six assists. He did not talk to reporters after Games 5 and 6.

"He may well have been affected," Carlisle said. "He would not want to use anything as an excuse, I know that. But, when you get into a series that is played at such a high level, every ounce of energy you can muster is always going to help. Again, he poured his heart into this thing, really since I’ve walked in the door here and been involved."

Kidd completed his 16th NBA season and the first of a three-year contract worth $25 million. Acquired in a blockbuster trade in February 2008, Kidd is 1-3 in playoff series with the Mavs

BigJoeD
04-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Oh he was also a no show during round one for the 2010 NBA Playoffs :)

Mixability
04-30-2010, 04:57 PM
he should be used to losing by now....

Cane
04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Jason Kidd played way too many minutes in the regular season and he looked slower than usual out there.

He's simply a horrible PG to have in this lightning fast era of guards. Only LA can get away with a guy like that.

raspsa
04-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Maybe Kidd will give some serious consideration to hanging up his sneakers.. or at least accepting that he can no longer perform at the level he used to and accept a backup role with limited minutes. I feel sorry for the guy but everyone grows old.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Word began to leak out after Game 6 that Kidd had the flu to start the series and that he physically wasn’t at his best. Kidd finished Thursday night’s game with just three points and six assists. He did not talk to reporters after Games 5 and 6.

Let the excuse making begin.

PM5K
04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Imagine how this series would have played out if Barea and Beaubois had shared the 40+ minutes Kidd was getting?

Spurologist
04-30-2010, 05:21 PM
I tried him on NBA Live too and he sucked major ass.

Dude is not a Kidd anymore (see what I did there?)

Libri
04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Maybe Kidd will give some serious consideration to hanging up his sneakers.. or at least accepting that he can no longer perform at the level he used to and accept a backup role with limited minutes. I feel sorry for the guy but everyone grows old.

IIRC, Kidd said that he was going to play until he was 40. I think it was him.

Cane
04-30-2010, 05:23 PM
This series imo basically sealed the deal that Harris was the better PG to have. He's basically a better version of JJ and that French rookie.

Ghazi
04-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Mavs dont get a 2 seed with Devin Harris. Period.

Cane
04-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Harris still would've been better in this era of guards. Period.

Avitus1
05-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Way to stick with your team.

redzero
05-01-2010, 02:05 AM
Mavs dont get a 2 seed with Devin Harris. Period.

And they don't get burned by the Spurs at point with Devin Harris.

badfish22
05-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Oh he was also a no show during round one for the 2010 NBA Playoffs :)

a thousand times this.

badfish22
05-01-2010, 02:10 AM
Oh and apparently he has been sick with the flu for the last week or so. But that could be bullshit.

phyzik
05-01-2010, 02:13 AM
So.... let me make sure I got this straight...

Kidd is complaining it was because of the refs that he he wasnt able to play his barely one dimensional play style?

This is why Mavs will be the ass end of a joke until they can stop talking shit and actually DO SOMETHING!!!.

hsxvvd
05-01-2010, 02:33 AM
Gone home early to beat his wife.

mystargtr34
05-01-2010, 02:39 AM
I still don't like the Kidd-Harris trade from the Mavs point of view, mainly because i dont think a pass first point guard like Kidd is a neccesity in a predominatly isolation offense like the one which the Mavs like to run.

Even when Avery was in charge, their best stuff came form Iso's, and as long as Dirk is Dirk, your main offense should be to exploit that matchup. He's still capable of carrying the team offensively and putting up 25 a night regularly. He's almost like a dominant post presence, like a Duncan, you dont need/want a pass first PG when your best player is at his best when he in iso's. Putting him at the top of the free throw line and spreading the floor with shooters and slashers was/is their bread and butter, so a guy like Harris who gives them penetration and gets to the line (Maybe the Mavs two biggest deficiencies) and can also defend the premier PG's in the league would have been huge, especially after seeing what Beabuois was able to do to the Spurs.

Not taking away from Kidd at all. He was amazing all year and has produced better than even Mav fans were expecting/hoping, i just think they over reacted to the Golden State series and made Harris the scapegoat. For the Mavs sake, i hope they dont do the same thing, meaning make changes just for the sake of it, because they are still probably the third best team in the West, they just ran into a red hot Spurs team that got healthy at the right time. They should go into the offseason, look to get a quality piece with the MLE, and try and hit a home run with that Dampier contract. That team as it stands now, is still pretty damn good, and they'll get better with a full pre-season together.

WeNeedLength
05-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Gone home early to beat his wife.

Zing! :lol

badfish22
05-01-2010, 02:43 AM
So.... let me make sure I got this straight...

Kidd is complaining it was because of the refs that he he wasnt able to play his barely one dimensional play style?

This is why Mavs will be the ass end of a joke until they can stop talking shit and actually DO SOMETHING!!!.

When did Kidd complain about the refs?

I still don't like the Kidd-Harris trade from the Mavs point of view, mainly because i dont think a pass first point guard like Kidd is a neccesity in a predominatly isolation offense like the one which the Mavs like to run.

Even when Avery was in charge, their best stuff came form Iso's, and as long as Dirk is Dirk, your main offense should be to exploit that matchup. Putting him at the top of the free throw line and spreading the floor with shooters and slashers was/is their bread and butter, so a guy like Harris who gives them penetration and gets to the line (Maybe the Mavs two biggest deficiencies) and can also defend the premier PG's in the league would have been huge, especially after seeing what Beabuois was able to do to the Spurs.

Not taking away from Kidd at all. He was amazing all year and has produced better than even Mav fans were expecting/hoping, i just think they over reacted to the Golden State series and made Harris the scapegoat. For the Mavs sake, i hope they dont do the same thing, meaning make changes just for the sake of it, because they are still probably the third best team in the West, they just ran into a red hot Spurs team that got healthy at the right time. They should go into the offseason, look to get a quality piece with the MLE, and try and hit a home run with that Dampier contract. That team as it stands now, is still pretty damn good, and they'll get better with a full pre-season together.

good post.

Harry Callahan
05-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Kidd never complained about the refs from what I've seen here in Dallas.

Complaints were left to others associated with the Mavs like the insufferable owner who can't let go of his theory that the NBA has formed a massive conspiracy to keep the Dallas Mavericks from attaining their rightful place at the top of the NBA world.

I never liked the Kidd trade (from a Dallas point of view) because of the loss of Harris' skills - the explosive quickness and penetrating ability. Kidd has been pretty good, but pretty good is not good enough.

The young Frenchman looks like a promising replacement, but by the time he is running on all cylinders, the rest of the roster will be broken down and finished unless a massive overhaul of that roster is started right now.

venitian navigator
05-01-2010, 05:25 AM
At the beginning I also thought the Harris /Kidd trade was a bad one for Dallas, but after one years and a half I think you can't complain about a trade that gave you the second best record in the regular season...playing an excellent basketball.
Fact is that that trade gave Dallas a better team except for their match up with our team (Harris has been always a nightmare for us, but just for us, not for all other nba teams).

The dallas/spurs series has been, imho, the best series for the level of basketball played, with as much intensity as you can get.
Point is that in the execution of the last plays, a team whose main core played together for something like 10 years has a clear advantage over a team whose second weapon (Butler) is on the team just 'cause a mid season trade and whose secret weapon (Boubois) is a rookie...
If Kidd can still play at this level next year, and they stay with the players thay already have (say Haywood), they already are, like this years, contenders.
I don't know what they can get for Dampier, however he defended Duncan decently well...so, at the end, he could be a keeper at the right price.

Darkwaters
05-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Let the excuse making begin.

No kidding. Thats all we need, more fuel for the Mavs fans fires.

milkyway21
05-01-2010, 06:00 AM
After beating us twice in the postseason I think this year's Mavs are built primarily to beat the Lakers not the Spurs. They have taken for granted the young George Hill.

raspsa
05-01-2010, 06:08 AM
IIRC, Kidd said that he was going to play until he was 40. I think it was him.

Not inconceivable but what kind of game will he have left and how effective will he be? He reinvented his game by developing a reliable 3-point shot but that was taken away from him when the Spurs chased him off the arc and he couldn't compensate.

He no longer has the speed or agility to be consistent defensively. He can still pass the ball though but is a growing liability defensively and offensively.